• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Nintendo Direct Predictions/Expectations

jefpet

I'm hoping for a Crypt of the Necrodancer release date.
Are these directs usually the place for indie reveals? The trailer has been there for 3 months now...

ryanofcall

Soooo what's the latest we think the direct will be actually announced, before we assume January 11th Direct was fake news?

wtsfox

Neo Member
It’s sort of comfirmed. Nintendo Russian replied to some asking and the yes said stay tuned,news coming soon.
Here is the reddit treat.

Obviously fake.

c9a75a1b_32d0_42b6_b7c9_a05ce351431b.jpg

ahm998

-Kirby trailer release in april.
-Yoshi release in march
-Pikmin 4 teaser
-Dark Souls Collection 1-2
-Fire Emblem Switch trailer
-3rd party stuff, including the rumored Namco Bandai exclusives, Wolfenstein port, and hopefully with a look at No More Heroes
-Indies Hollow Knight release date and more.
- Rockstar combo.
- evil within 1-2 , fallout 4 on switch.
- Resident evil 5-6 collection.
- sonic game.
- tomb Raider on switch.
- Smash DX
- Mario Maker DX
- Soul Caliber switch

It'll depend on whether this January event sets the tone for the rest of the year like last year's January event (that is, all the big games to look forward to in 2017 are revealed), or whether this is a traditional Nintendo Direct.

DonF

I'm new to nintendo, when do they usually announce directs? like a month before, a day?

Last edited:
All I want is a Xenoblade Chronicles, Metroid Prime Trilogy, and Dark Souls Remaster.

If we’re asking for MP Trilogy to be reworked from the GCN and Wii versions, can we also ask for a HD, non-waggle version of Skyward Sword? Only console Zelda I haven’t played, and it’s due to the motion controls.

If we’re asking for MP Trilogy to be reworked from the GCN and Wii versions, can we also ask for a HD, non-waggle version of Skyward Sword? Only console Zelda I haven’t played, and it’s due to the motion controls.

That would solve a lot of the issues I got with Skyward Sword as well, but if you look at how integral it is to the entire game I really doubt they'd do that. But hey, who knows.

tkscz

I'm new to nintendo, when do they usually anounce directs? like a month before, a day?

It's random. Sometimes it's a month or two sometimes it's the day before. that usually determines their importance though. If announced well in advanced, it's usually a pretty big direct. If day before, it's usually over one game.

ryanofcall

I'm new to nintendo, when do they usually anounce directs? like a month before, a day?

All directs are usually announced a day or two in advance at 14.00h/15.00h CET. So I doubt they'll announce it that late for tomorrow, so 11th January was fake news

Virtual Console/Retro Games announced, will help fill in some of the possible gaps from in their 2018 release schedule. After a year that saw Zelda, Mario Kart, ARMS, Splatoon, Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade and more come out from Nintendo in 2017, I don't think we'll get quite as many big time releases from Nintendo this year and they'll need to find a way to keep the money rolling in.

Yagami_Sama

I thought it was already confirmed that a Wonderful 101 port to the Switch is forthcoming...

At least, I did not see any confirmation;Just the tease Kamiya did on Tweeter. But he did the same for Bayonetta; So I think that is just a matter of time for the game to be announced. And I have the impression that Nintendo is doing his best to make people forget about the Wii U, and all good stuff that the Wii U might be ported over

NahaNago

My predictions are that it will be disappointing. Last year was a heavy hitter year with Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, and a return to a new favorite Splatoon. So if you're expecting something as big as that then you're going to be disappointed. I expect that this will be the mid-level direct with a focus on the smaller franchises with the exception of Pokemon. They need to hit this one out of the park in order to keep the momentum going but if they have a large direct filled with tons of niche games then I would consider it a success for me (lol). My predictions are online talk, smash, Odyssey dlc, Pokemon, Bayonetta, animal crossing, Kirby, monster hunters, yoshi, and lots of ports . I really hope no chibi-robo. My hopes would be a mega man legends remake for the switch, and a darkstalkers game or virtua fighter.

Last edited:

Yagami_Sama

Switch first year was impressive indeed. I believe it will be hard for they to surpass, but they might have a second year as good as the first. I believe that Bayonetta 3, Metroid Prime 4, Fire Emblem, Yoshi and Kirby are games for this year, Pokemon I am not sure, but it would be great as a holiday season title. Plus if you got the some third party surprises like we got last year, this will be a great year for Switch too.

And Collection with Mother 1,2 and 3, localized, would be great.

Volta

Neo Member
This whole situation is crazy. The evidence, the trolling, the hype? It's interesting to say the least.

EDarkness

Damn, folks are hyped as hell for this Direct. It's crazy to see. I hope Nintendo will announce this thing so we can get past the "will they/won't they" thing and on to speculation about what's in it!! Let's go Nintendo!

EhoaVash

well emily rogers on the other forum said "Nintendo's strategy with 2018 is to rely on third party stuff + ports of older games, They believe that's enough to hold them over until 2019 when they bring out the big guns. (Metroid, etc)"

so I could see this direct being heavily focused on this.

like I predict we will get ports of resident evil 7, Dark souls, smash 4 port maybe, ffxv?, assassins creed? who knows

But as someone who played these games already seeing this rumor i'm kinda feeling dissappointed

For nintendo to toss away all the momentum they had going into the year, to focus on older games/3rd party? ehhh switch sales might tank

EDarkness

I hope what Emily is saying is wrong, because unless the third parties are amazing, I don't see it helping that much. The key has to be great exclusives and I don't trust third parties to not screw this whole thing up. I guess we'll see.

Battlechili

Banned
Please, PLEASE let there be a new Pokemon Mystery Dungeon announced
Also a port of Xenoblade Chronicles X

Last edited:

Skyfox

Emily as usual will be right.

After playing doom and resident evil revelations 2 I cant wait for more ports.

Metroid definitely needs another year. The logo teaser was rushed out by someone with no connection to anything.

There was no theme, no original design, it screamed of an exec taking some newbie aside and asking them to make it because any actual team member would have opposed showing a logo for a game that hasnt begun to properly take form yet.

Last edited:
Emily as usual will be right.

After playing doom and resident evil revelations 2 I cant wait for more ports.

Metroid definitely needs another year. The logo teaser was rushed out by someone with no connection to anything.

There was no theme, no original design, it screamed of an exec taking some newbie aside and asking them to make it because any actual team member would have opposed showing a logo for a game that hasnt begun to properly take form yet.

I don't think so, at least in terms of heavily relying on 3rd party. We may not get as many heavy hitters as last year, but I think there will EASILY be more first party releases this year than last. This isn't like generations past where Nintendo will struggle to support two platforms basically on their own. All hands are on deck for Switch development. I'm betting on craploads of first party support this year, from smaller e-shop games along the lines of Boxboy, Pushmo, etc, to medium sized games like Kirby and Yoshi, to ports like Bayonetta and possibly Smashbros etc, and at least one or two heavy hitters (Retro where art thou). Third parties and Nindies will be icing on the cake.

DonF

According to Reddit "GameStop apparently tweeted and deleted that a Nintendo Direct was about to begin"
God damn

Top Bottom