• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

scabro

stro i see you plugging legitshook

the carny grind

edit: what a shit first page post

heres a paige pic

V3W0URZ.png

RBH

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember Vince running ads for a Sugar Ray Leonard fight during Raw in '95/'96.

Was that due to the whole ICOPRO deal?

strobogo

Banned
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember Vince running ads for a Sugar Ray Leonard fight during Raw in '95/'96.

Was that due to the whole ICOPRO deal?

He also plugged various boxing PPVs in the late 80s/early 90s, and then plugged UFC PPVs when he brought Shamrock in.

jmdajr

Note: I have never read one Tolkien book in my life. No Hobbit, no Lord of the Rings etc. I like the movies and power metal bands that sing of the material. I also remember the animated movies.

With all that said, I enjoyed my LieMax 48fps experience of The Battle of the Five Armies.
It was cool.

I also enjoyed my grub prior.

oh

and Happy Smackdown Thursday!

Cagey

Banned
Clearly, the WWE has elected to combat Dolph Ziggler's ambitions of booking stand-up comedy gigs outside of the WWE corporate umbrella without asking permission first by showing him through Roman Reigns that comedy routines can be delivered perfectly fine in the middle of the ring on weekly television.
Wait. People don't actually believe that "lost belt as punishment for scheduling improv gig" shit, do they?

Aiii

So not worth it
Wait. People don't actually believe that "lost belt as punishment for scheduling improv gig" shit, do they?

If this company hadn't proven time and again they bury people for the most trivial shit, you might actually have a point.

But they do. And they will. And they probably have.

strobogo

Banned
Note: I have never read one Tolkien book in my life. No Hobbit, no Lord of the Rings etc. I like the movies and power metal bands that sing of the material. I also remember the animated movies.

With all that said, I enjoyed my LieMax 48fps experience of The Battle of the Five Armies.
It was cool.

I also enjoyed my grub prior.

oh

and Happy Smackdown Thursday!

Oh god. Look at that beautiful relleno.

Sephzilla

Court Bauer makes a pretty solid point on how much investors can trust HHH as the head honcho of everything once Vince dies due to his lack of a college education and business prowess.

Now I'm picturing Billy Madison with HHH as Billy and Kevin Dunn as Eric, the guy who gets the company if Hunter fails college.

Investors are going to practically be begging for Shane to return once Vince croaks

If this company hadn't proven time and again they bury people for the most trivial shit, you might actually have a point.

But they do. And they will. And they probably have.

They took the belt off him because they wanted heat for the return of The Authority. And because he was getting fired later that night.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I hate to say this, but there's one way to eliminate these redirects for the interim...

Browny

Banned
Because lord knows you can't have a champion that's not on TV for two weeks.

Awww don't go there Aiii... I'd happily forgotten the bullshit debacle that Lesnar being champion has turned into. I swear the next time I remember the times gone past that commentators mention the 30 day rule, or when someone gets stripped, I'm going to get mildly annoyed.
Any more emotion than that is a waste of my precious energy.

Sephzilla

The last episode of Monday Night War is supposed to make you think it's the WCW stars fault because they all sat on their big Turner contracts before returning to WWE. In reality the last MNW episode made me think that Vince simply rushed into the Invasion angle way too soon.

Aiii

So not worth it
The last episode of Monday Night War is supposed to make you think it's the WCW stars fault because they all sat on their big Turner contracts before returning to WWE. In reality the last MNW episode made me think that Vince simply rushed into the Invasion angle way too soon.

As they write in The Death of WCW, Vince could have made so much money with the Invasion angle if he had gotten all those stars to jump ship that he could've easily made back the money it took to buy off the Turner contracts and then some. In hindsight it's stupid that they never did.

What's even worse is that they booked that angle to complete shit and made it all about the McMahon's instead of making it a legit invasion that had the invading force look like a legit thread.

And then they put WWF stars in it to increase the starpower, which made even less sense.

But nothing is ever their fault in these documentaries.

Fox318

The second to last episode made Vince look like the savior of WCW but I'll bet all the money in my pockets against all the money in your pockets that it was Vince that encouraged TNT to drop their highest rated show.

Hasney

With better booking, it could have been easily done anyway. ECW should have been its own thing separate and keep them kind of tweener, but eliminated at some point. Have the Survivor Series stipulation be that Shane is removed from power of WCW and let everyone think that it's over with the WCW guys aimlessly wrestling until Bischoff comes back.

Then you've got the nWo knocking about at the start of the next year which everyone needs to team up to take out and just when it looks like WCW is on its last legs, here comes motherfucking Goldberg.

Obviously would never have happened as WCW and ECW would look too strong, but would have been more entertaining.

Aiii

So not worth it
With better booking, it could have been easily done anyway. ECW should have been its own thing separate and keep them kind of tweener, but eliminated at some point. Have the Survivor Series stipulation be that Shane is removed from power of WCW and let everyone think that it's over with the WCW guys aimlessly wrestling until Bischoff comes back.

Then you've got the nWo knocking about at the start of the next year which everyone needs to team up to take out and just when it looks like WCW is on its last legs, here comes motherfucking Goldberg.

Obviously would never have happened as WCW and ECW would look too strong, but would have been more entertaining.

That whole angle was being booked by people that were still so angry and annoyed with WCW it would never have been booked the right way anyways, personal stuff got in the way.

Hell, just hearing Vince talk about Ted Turner nowadays shows just how much he still hates everything about that guy that once "tried to drive him out of business."

Sephzilla

As they write in The Death of WCW, Vince could have made so much money with the Invasion angle if he had gotten all those stars to jump ship that he could've easily made back the money it took to buy off the Turner contracts and then some. In hindsight it's stupid that they never did.

What's even worse is that they booked that angle to complete shit and made it all about the McMahon's instead of making it a legit invasion that had the invading force look like a legit thread.

And then they put WWF stars in it to increase the starpower, which made even less sense.

But nothing is ever their fault in these documentaries.

Really, if they could have held out another half year they could have had Hall, Hogan, Nash, Booker, DDP, Flair, and Bagwell make up the core of the WCW invasion. Then maybe we wouldn't have needed to make the Invasion all about the McMahons and then we especially wouldn't have needed EC fucking W in there too.

The second to last episode made Vince look like the savior of WCW but I'll bet all the money in my pockets against all the money in your pockets that it was Vince that encouraged TNT to drop their highest rated show.

I don't doubt for a second that Vince did something underhanded to ensure that WCW died and that Bischoff didn't get the company.

My ideal WCW invasion, no ECW, and would have featured a ton more real WCW stars. The WWF/WCW war would be going on, lead up to the Invasion PPV, and then in the climax of the main event the nWo shows up to wreck everyone and causes WCW and WWF to join forces. Sting wouldn't show up on WWF TV until the nWo shows up, either. The invasion storyline would morph from WCW vs WWF to WCW/WWF vs the nWo. That way WCW stars don't end up getting buried and there's a more logical way to explain how the two rosters eventually merge.

Hasney

Really, if they could have held out another half year they could have had Hall, Hogan, Nash, Booker, DDP, Flair, and Bagwell make up the core of the WCW invasion. Then maybe we wouldn't have needed to make the Invasion all about the McMahons and then we especially wouldn't have needed EC fucking W in there too.

Or, you know, Steiner

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
A Day in the Life of Nord the Barbarian

One of the strangest promotional videos I've seen for anything wrestling related, as a psychiatrist guides us through a day in the life of Nord. It's only 20 minutes long and the comedy is on par with GLOW skits, but this was certainly very FnP. Here's some gifs;

This looks really fucking cool, going to watch it shortly. Thanks.

Also JEEZUS he looks like Sami Zayn.

Because lord knows you can't have a champion that's not on TV for two weeks.
What does The Authority do when they come back, realistically, if they don't fire all guns at the guy who cost them their jobs? Beat up Cena? Throw darts at a picture of Sting? But don't throw every heel tactic in the book at the Sole Survivor to just barely get the belt off of him, that would bury him!

Fox318

Invasion was always going to be tough based on the money turner was paying some people.

Booker and DDP had to take massive paycuts to join the WWF.

Also Steiner would have been amazing

Fr6Rir8.gif

JavyOO7

Nah. Demographics didn't line up with what TNT wanted at the time. WCW Nitro had ratings that were hire than many of the TNT/TBS shows at the time but the big problem was sponsors. WWE of today still struggles with that.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
If you really want to see how Vince wanted WCW dead from the start when he bought them, check out the location of where they did the first 'WCW on Raw' thing. Ok. Now look at the Raw next week and see where they put that.

And tell me which you would have put 'WCW' on if you wanted it to succeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom