• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaturdayNFever

Neo Member
Sting vs. taker, probably be one of the better matches at Wrestlemania. Considering, two men past their primes, I still think they are more than capable of putting on a good show, and nevertheless, nostalgia is HUGE.

I dont know about you, Ive been watching Sting for nearly 30 years, just to see a match with him and Taker would be great.

Although, would be better if they took a year to build it up, unfortunately, if it doesnt happen soon, I dont think it will ever happen.

Plus, I dont want to see Sting against the likes of Cena, I dont care for Cena but he'd stomp all over Sting.

Sting vs. HHH, mmmmm, it could work as well.

Needs some build up to really sell some seats though.

strobogo

Banned
Taker/Sting in 2015 would kind of be like Inoki vs Jumbo in 1995. Still something I'd want to see, even if Inoki was an old man and Jumbo was sick. It is THE dream match from the past 20 some years. More than Austin vs Goldberg. Hogan vs Austin even. Taker vs Sting is like...the most fitting dream match possible. Wish it had happened at the WM in Atlanta.

Fox318

Meltzer's choice for WM main event is:
If Brock re-signs, Lesnar vs Bryan
If Brock doesn't re-sign, Rollins vs Bryan

I think either would be a hell of a main event, and two completely different matches.

You mean Brock vs Cesaro for the title.

SIDE NOTE: WTF!!!!!! Are you serious, come on JR, need a new talent manager there in the WWE.

the-ascension.jpg

I know WWE cant be thinking these guys could fill these gentlemen's boots!!!!!

Road_Warriors_Hawk_and_Animal.jpg

they just aren't big and intimidating enough

#bringbackPEDs

Ithil

Why would Brock have to re-sign to get Brock vs Bryan? Because they don't want Bryan to be the returning hero?

That's not what's happening, it's what Meltzer says he would do if the WM main event was up to him. If Brock isn't re-signing then it gives away the result of the match and would probably hurt the drama somewhat since he obviously isn't going to keep the title if he's leaving the next day, so you're better off putting Lesnar in a co-main event and giving Rollins the spotlight in the title match instead.

Toki767

That's not what's happening, it's what Meltzer says he would do if the WM main event was up to him. If Brock isn't re-signing then it gives away the result of the match and would probably hurt the drama somewhat.

But it doesn't matter if everyone knows the result of the match. If Reigns is in the main event, everyone will know that he's going to win.

Sephzilla

Taker/Sting in 2015 would kind of be like Inoki vs Jumbo in 1995. Still something I'd want to see, even if Inoki was an old man and Jumbo was sick. It is THE dream match from the past 20 some years. More than Austin vs Goldberg. Hogan vs Austin even. Taker vs Sting is like...the most fitting dream match possible. Wish it had happened at the WM in Atlanta.

Yeah, I've heard people wanting a Sting/Taker match ever since Crow Sting got over. So it's been about a 20 year wait for some fans. I don't really care if they're both past their prime, I want to see that match. They also really did drop the ball by not getting Sting on board with WWE when WM was in Atlanta. I would have much rather seen Undertaker vs Sting than Taker/HHH that year.

People also need to remember that Taker was pretty much the best match for the last 5 WrestleManias before he got a concussion during the Brock match. Sting's moveset is likely not going to put Taker in any kind of jeopardy for a repeat of that and we'd probably get one last good Taker match out of him.

RP912

Banned
I honestly lost interest in Taker/Sting after the hype died down in 2011. Both guys are extremely past their prime. If it happens it's happens...but lets be realistic here, it's not going to be a very good match at all.

Ithil

But it doesn't matter if everyone knows the result of the match. If Reigns is in the main event, everyone will know that he's going to win.

And that will hurt the match, a lot, since they aren't invested in him. If Reigns vs Brock is the main event, and it's Brock's last match, then who is going to care? They know Reigns is winning, and they aren't all that enamoured with him. So they won't get behind Brock because he's leaving, and they won't get behind Reigns because he isn't hot with audiences. They'll just crap on the match.

It was 100% that Bryan was beating HHH last year, and probably 90% that he was winning in the main event, but since the audience was totally invested in him and it was the culmination of the story, it worked. There's no story with Reigns vs Lesnar.

If Brock isn't re-signing then it gives away the result of the match and would probably hurt the drama somewhat.
It's not like they haven't had Brock win when everyone was conviced they'd given away he was losing...
Undertaker-lose-Lesnar-Wrestlemania-fan-reaction-11.gif

Just sayin.

The main event for Wrestlecon WrestleMania weekend is Matt + Jeff Hardy vs RVD + Sabu.

Zach

While I wait on the '97 Nitros/RAWs, I'm considering going back and watching/grading the Saturday Night Main Events. Worst idea ever?

Sephzilla

That's not what's happening, it's what Meltzer says he would do if the WM main event was up to him. If Brock isn't re-signing then it gives away the result of the match and would probably hurt the drama somewhat since he obviously isn't going to keep the title if he's leaving the next day, so you're better off putting Lesnar in a co-main event and giving Rollins the spotlight in the title match instead.

daniel-bryan.jpg

The moment Bryan pinned HHH everybody knew Bryan was going to win the title later in the night. Didn't hurt that match.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
If Taker and Sting are both on the card, they should be wrestling each other. Bray is awful and there are plenty of options for HHH if he feels like putting someone over (Orton, Ziggler, Ryback).

Fuck that noise.

Brock vs Bryan could be a fantastic match and WM31 is probably the only chance we'll ever get to see it. Rollins is young and there's plenty of time to do a Bryan vs Rollins feud. If WM31 doesn't have Bryan vs Brock and Taker vs Sting I'm dubbing it the WrestleMania of missed opportunities.

I really think Seth should either walk into Mania as champion or cash in that night. Just having a 15 minute midcard match with Orton or Ambrose when the product has revolved entirely around him since Night of Champions feels like a disappointment.

Ithil

It's not like they haven't had Brock win when everyone was conviced they'd given away he was losing...
Undertaker-lose-Lesnar-Wrestlemania-fan-reaction-11.gif

Just sayin.

The main event for Wrestlecon WrestleMania weekend is Matt + Jeff Hardy vs RVD + Sabu.

Sure, but Brock was signed on for another year at WM 30. His contract expires at WM 31 (or more specifically the day after) and if he's going back to MMA there is zero chance he wins the WM match if he's champion.

Sephzilla

I really think Seth should either walk into Mania as champion or cash in that night. Just having a 15 minute midcard match with Orton or Ambrose when the product has revolved entirely around him since Night of Champions feels like a disappointment.

If the main event is Roman vs Brock then I absolutely want to see Seth cash in after the main event and walk out with the title. If Bryan wins the title in the main event I really don't want Seth cashing in.

Fox318

Honeslty maybe Vince thinks it will be a good thing for Brock to trashcan the belt on UFC or something.

He clearly doesn't care about the belt anymore when guys like Cena just shrug off a loss.

Maybe it gets some press.

Having Rollins cash in at Mania is dicey whereas if he did it on RAW it's a guaranteed to be a great moment. Also, if Bryan gets cashed in on, that'd be lame. Already happened to him and I don't think fans are gonna be eager to go through that again. Bryan should have a legit reign. Rollins too, but he has more time.

Ithil

daniel-bryan.jpg

The moment Bryan pinned HHH everybody knew Bryan was going to win the title later in the night. Didn't hurt that match.

They knew he was winning, but everyone still thought he was about to lose at that moment when he hit Orton with the knee and Batista threw him out of the ring to take the pin, even if it was just a for a microsecond. So it wasn't 100%, a nearfall still worked.

But if Lesnar is still champ at WM 31, and is leaving for UFC the next day, then he is losing the match, end of. Any near fall by Lesnar on Reigns or Bryan is pretty much tension free.
Now Bryan is good enough and the matchup is unique enough that Bryan/Lesnar could probably make you forget by the end of the match, and it's a match I completely want to see, but I see the reasoning behind making it Bryan/Rollins for the title if Brock is leaving.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I think the crowd shitting on the match with Lesnar leaving is a bigger concern than the knowing the outcome. It's a Mania main event, the babyface goes over 9 out of 10 times.

If the main event is Roman vs Brock then I absolutely want to see Seth cash in after the main event and walk out with the title. If Bryan wins the title in the main event I really don't want Seth cashing in.

Well that's why I think Seth should win at the Rumble. Rollins cash-in has to be successful given his build-up but I absolutely want Bryan to have the title reign he should have had last year.

Sephzilla

I think the crowd shitting on the match with Lesnar leaving is a bigger concern than the knowing the outcome. It's a Mania main event, the babyface goes over 9 out of 10 times.

They'd only shit on the match if it was Brock vs Roman. If Brock was leaving and he was putting over Bryan, they'd probably be fine. The main reason they shat on Brock the last time he left was because he put up a stinker match against Goldberg - who was also leaving.

Having Rollins cash in on Mania is dicey whereas if he did it on RAW it's a guaranteed to be a great moment. Also, if Bryan gets cashed in on, that'd be lame. Already happened to him and I don't think fans are gonna be eager to go through that again. Bryan should have a legit reign. Rollins too, but he has more time.

Pretty much this. Someone cashing in and stealing the belt from Bryan is a story we've already seen and I have absolutely no ambition to see it happen again especially considering we'd have to suffer through the same Steph promos again.

Ithil

Yeah, Seth cashing in on Bryan post WM main event would be a total rehash of Summerslam 2013. If Bryan is winning the title, it's time for him to have a proper reign at last.

Sure, but Brock was signed on for another year at WM 30. His contract expires at WM 31 (or more specifically the day after) and if he's going back to MMA there is zero chance he wins the WM match if he's champion.
Oh, I agree with you, I was just playing devil's advocate really.

Now that you've mentioned it, what would be awesome is Brock showing up to WrestleMania all "Fuck you I'm taking the belt to UFC", and then retaining the title.

He shows up to gloat on Raw, then Rollins cashes in and wins.

EDIT: Dammit all of you.

Ithil

Now that you've mentioned it, what would be awesome is Brock showing up to WrestleMania all "Fuck you I'm taking the belt to UFC", and then retaining the title.

That would make Rollins a face, though.

Sephzilla

I want this to happen if the main event isn't Brock vs Bryan. If we get some WM31 main event that's Brock vs Roman or Brock vs Cena (*shiver*) then I totally want this to happen.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Pretty much this. Someone cashing in and stealing the belt from Bryan is a story we've already seen and I have absolutely no ambition to see it happen again especially considering we'd have to suffer through the same Steph promos again.

Then what do you do with Seth's briefcase if you don't want him cashing in on Bryan?

I honestly couldn't care less about Brock main eventing, they've already squandered the streak and Cena beatdown. Maybe that's just me though.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'd much rather see Muta vs Undertaker than Sting vs Undertaker.

Sting was 'theatrical' like Taker for like a month. Then he was just Surfer Sting with greyscale on.

Zach

I just finished the new RoboCop movie. The first one was significantly more enjoyable. But hey! At least The Clash is playing over the end credits. :D

Sephzilla

Then what do you do with Seth's briefcase if you don't want him cashing in on Bryan?

I honestly couldn't care less about Brock main eventing, they've already squandered the streak and Cena beatdown. Maybe that's just me though.

Brock's the only main event monster heel they have (since Rusev isn't there yet). If Brock doesn't make it to the WM31 main event then they've effectively wasted both The Streak and SummerSlam entirely.

Here's what I say you do with Seth and the briefcase - have Bryan win the main event at WM31, have Seth try to cash in on Bryan. Instead of having one of those quick 2 minute matches that every MITB cash in has been in recent years, have Bryan actually turn the match into a competitive 10 minute match (SWERVE - Bryan is in a double main event for two WM's in a row!) and then Bryan straight up beat Rollins as well.

Rollins doesn't need the briefcase at this point. He's already cemented himself as someone who's on the main event level and since he has The Authority backing him he can probably get additional title rematches.

Brock's the only main event monster heel they have (since Rusev isn't there yet). If Brock doesn't make it to the WM31 main event then they've effectively wasted both The Streak and SummerSlam entirely.

Here's what I say you do with Seth and the briefcase - have Bryan win the main event at WM31, have Seth try to cash in on Bryan. Instead of having one of those quick 2 minute matches that every MITB cash in has been in recent years, have Bryan actually turn the match into a competitive 10 minute match (SWERVE - Bryan is in a double main event for two WM's in a row!) and then Bryan straight up beat Rollins as well.

Rollins doesn't need the briefcase at this point. He's already cemented himself as someone who's on the main event level and since he has The Authority backing him he can probably get additional title rematches.

Don't need to make him Super-Bryan, just have the return of Mr. Small Package. Would be very fitting comeuppance for Rollins and still make him look strong.

strobogo

Banned
I'd much rather see Muta vs Undertaker than Sting vs Undertaker.

Sting was 'theatrical' like Taker for like a month. Then he was just Surfer Sting with greyscale on.

I don't know. Muta kind of sucks after 1991. Those matches are never what you hope they'd be when you see Muta vs great wrestler. Mutoh > Muta ALL DAY.

SaturdayNFever

Neo Member
If Brock is not in the Main Event at WM31 thats a big mistake, I doubt, HIGHLY, that will happen. I think we see Rollins vs. Lesnar, Lesnar wins, then is maybe attacked subsequent by some "Authority Figure" cashes in Money in the Bank, and Brock goes off on a vacation for a bit with Sable, and if WWE is smart and they really want a great match they should build up a great anticipation and fued with Bryan and Rollins for Summer Slam and the title, those guys could put on a great show between the two of them.

Sephzilla

Don't need to make him Super-Bryan, just have the return of Mr. Small Package. Would be very fitting comeuppance for Rollins and still make him look strong.

I'd just like to see someone do a surprise cash in and have it turn into an actual competitive match. Bryan doesn't need to win ultra-clean or anything but have him put on a 10 minute match where Bryan wins with a Bret Hart "outta nowhere" small package that lets him escape with the belt. Honestly Bryan going through Brock and Rollins in one night isn't that crazy sounding - last year Bryan went through HHH, Batista, and Orton all in one night.

Then Rollins can complain to the Authority that Bryan's win was a fluke, Authority can book a rematch, and the feud goes from there.

Ithil

If Brock is not in the Main Event at WM31 thats a big mistake, I doubt, HIGHLY, that will happen. I think we see Rollins vs. Lesnar, Lesnar wins, then is maybe attacked subsequent by some "Authority Figure" cashes in Money in the Bank, and Brock goes off on a vacation for a bit with Sable, and if WWE is smart and they really want a great match they should build up a great anticipation and fued with Bryan and Rollins for Summer Slam and the title, those guys could put on a great show between the two of them.

There's no way you're getting heel vs heel as the main event of WM.

imBask

Banned

you're like... so enthousiast about WWE, it's almost refreshing

have you watched the past 6 months of RAW? if so, you're a beast to be able to stay that positive

I still think Cena will win at the rumble by pinning Rollins, and we'll get the "passing the torch moment" Reigns vs Cena at WM31

I really don't want to see that, it sounds horrible, but that's my prediction

I'd just like to see someone do a surprise cash in and have it turn into an actual competitive match. Bryan doesn't need to win ultra-clean or anything but have him put on a 10 minute match where Bryan wins with a Bret Hart "outta nowhere" small package that lets him escape with the belt.

Then Rollins can complain to the Authority that Bryan's win was a fluke, Authority can book a rematch, and the feud goes from there.

I agree. I think Rollins could survive a failed cash-in, and I think it would be good for the MITB concept if they switched it up a bit. Rollins is also inching closer to the point of getting face reactions for being such a good heel. Then they could turn Reigns heel, have him win the title at some point and build to Rollins/Reigns at next year's Mania. That may be a bit prolonged for how good Rollins is doing though.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I'd just like to see someone do a surprise cash in and have it turn into an actual competitive match. Bryan doesn't need to win ultra-clean or anything but have him put on a 10 minute match where Bryan wins with a Bret Hart "outta nowhere" small package that lets him escape with the belt. Honestly Bryan going through Brock and Rollins in one night isn't that crazy sounding - last year Bryan went through HHH, Batista, and Orton all in one night.

I don't see how Rollins doesn't come out looking a loser in this scenario. He loses at the Rumble, likely eating the pin in the process, he can't beat Bryan after Bryan goes 30 minutes with the "Beast", then he continues to lose to Bryan in successive rematches because Bryan must have a long title reign.

Rollins is getting crushed and you're killing the MITB gimmick with another failed cash-in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom