• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan charts: Media Create 18 - 24 Apr

Striek

PSP is really going to be in a bad position with the launch of the next generation consoles. Perception would be a full-fledged next-gen console for $300 is worth a good bit more than a $250 handheld.

I say that because PSP sort of has the feeling of a console, and targets much the same userbase, whilst the DS is definitely a more traditional 'toy' system with younger gamers in mind.

Striek said:
PSP is really going to be in a bad position with the launch of the next generation consoles. Perception would be a full-fledged next-gen console for $300 is worth a good bit more than a $250 handheld.

I would imagine they'll release a $199 "Standard Pak" right around the time the XBox 360 launches.

Kseutron

soundwave05 said:
I would imagine they'll release a $199 "Standard Pak" right around the time the XBox 360 launches.

this won't be enough

anyone would still HAVE to buy a memory stick and a case anyway (how can u play without saving your game and who would risk to scratch such a beautiful screen)

to have strong thanksgiving/christmas sales, psp needs some EXCLUSIVE killer apz and a true price drops > 199$ value pack

otherwise the xbox 360 hype could just kill it

Kseutron said:
this won't be enough

anyone would still HAVE to buy a memory stick and a case anyway (how can u play without saving your game and who would risk to scratch such a beautiful screen)

to have strong thanksgiving/christmas sales, psp needs some EXCLUSIVE killer apz and a true price drops > 199$ value pack

otherwise the xbox 360 hype could just kill it

Gran Turismo Mobile is a pretty good place to start, y'know.

Jonnyram

Thing is, Minna no Golf is a million seller on the PS & PS2 usually.
It's sold 336k on the PSP to date, in Japan.
Is Sony mistaking its potential audience?

Kseutron

soundwave05 said:
Gran Turismo Mobile is a pretty good place to start, y'know.

should be a great game indeed, but once again, i wonder if GT4 PS2 owners will want to pay again for a downgraded port (maybe online play could help in that case)

plus, the psp already has lots of racing games out or on schedule

duckroll

Jonnyram said:
Thing is, Minna no Golf is a million seller on the PS & PS2 usually.
It's sold 336k on the PSP to date, in Japan.
Is Sony mistaking its potential audience?

I don't think so.

Million seller on PS/PS2 = 400k seller on PSP

4-6 million seller on PSP/PS2 = 1.5-2.5 million seller on PSP

Doesn't look that bad to me. :)

I think you will see a ton of 1st and 3rd party announcements for the PSP at E3, now that the system is out and its clear that its not going to be a "Game Gear/Lynx" type deal.

I wouldn't be surprised for instance to see Resident Evil PSP and or say Virtua Fighter PSP at E3.

I want to see how TalkMan turns out myself.

Jonnyram

duckroll said:
4-6 million seller on PSP/PS2 = 1.5-2.5 million seller on PSP

Doesn't look that bad to me. :)
Won't companies want to release their game on PS2 and sell 4x as much then? ;) Whichever way you look at it, it's a mess. I think that's half the problem. Somebody somewhere needs to work on games that use PSP's unique tech. The online aspect is Sony's strongest point at the moment because DS still isn't there. They can't just expect PS2 games to win the public over, because the public already owns PS2s.

Jonnyram said:
Won't companies want to release their game on PS2 and sell 4x as much then? ;) Whichever way you look at it, it's a mess. I think that's half the problem. Somebody somewhere needs to work on games that use PSP's unique tech. The online aspect is Sony's strongest point at the moment because DS still isn't there. They can't just expect PS2 games to win the public over, because the public already owns PS2s.

Meh ... why not?

Nintendo's Game Boy line has gone on for years basically with portable versions of their existing console-side stuff. No one complained that you could play Tetris on the NES or on the road, or that Super Mario Land could've been classified as a "watered down" version of the NES Super Mario games.

Ridge Racer is a good example ... it may be based loosely on previous console versions, but the portable version is its own game and its ridiculously deep.

I sure as heck would not mind a PS2-level NBA Live or NHL or Winning Eleven to play on the road.

My favorite game on the GBA is Advance Wars ... even if its basically just a souped up version of the old Famicom/SFC series.

The DS is in a different boat because Nintendo has predicated the system on alternative styles of game play.

Striek said:

I say that because PSP sort of has the feeling of a console, and targets much the same userbase, whilst the DS is definitely a more traditional 'toy' system with younger gamers in mind.

thats really a good point, I'd rather get an XB for $100-150 more than buying a handheld!!

Well for $150 more than an i-Pod I could get a pretty nice home audio system too ... but that's not quite the same thing, now is it?

AniHawk

soundwave05 said:
Well for $150 more than an i-Pod I could get a pretty nice home audio system too ... but that's not quite the same thing, now is it?

Can you put hundreds of songs into one audio system at a time?

duckroll

Jonnyram said:

Well I think a large part of the issue is that the main teams don't have to be working on the PSP versions of big games. They just need to be of similar standards and quality, with actual base design and concepts from the original team and actually coded and developed by a portable focused team. That way you can sell 4x on the PS3 and 1x on the PSP at the same time for 5x the sales. That's one way of looking at it.

Jonnyram

soundwave05 said:
Nintendo's Game Boy line has gone on for years basically with portable versions of their existing console-side stuff. No one complained that you could play Tetris on the NES or on the road, or that Super Mario Land could've been classified as a "watered down" version of the NES Super Mario games.
True, and I forgot how much the Famicom Mini series lifted GBA sales too. I guess anything could happen. We'll just have to stay tuned.

Kseutron said:
should be a great game indeed, but once again, i wonder if GT4 PS2 owners will want to pay again for a downgraded port (maybe online play could help in that case)

plus, the psp already has lots of racing games out or on schedule

"Is the development of GT4 for PSP getting the same level of commitment in terms of programming time and effort, and will the final game be notably different from what people already have on their PS2?
Yes. The effort that goes into PSP game development is at the same level as that of PS2 development. Gran Turismo for PSP will be a different type of game."

"Eurogamer: About PSP. Obviously you're making GT4 mobile for PSP. It's a bit of a silly question, but will it be a full version of GT4 on a handheld, and will it support wireless multiplayer?

Kazunori Yamauchi: Firstly, the answer is no. The PSP game will not be the same experience. Secondly, whether you will be able to play against each other wirelessly, the answer is yes. I've changed the focus of the PSP version of the game. The focus is on playing together."

So basically, GTP isn't GT4 anymore.

And the PS2 has alot of racing games too, doesn't stop GT4 from beating the crap out of everything in its way.

AniHawk

soundwave05 said:
Sure, if it supports MP3 playback I can put hundreds of songs onto a CD.

Oh.
sub_logo.jpg

Pellham

Banned
Wait, so Fire Emblem sold 90,000 in its first day, then proceeded to sell only 14,000 over the next 3 days? Geez what a drop.

AniHawk

Pellham said:
Wait, so Fire Emblem sold 90,000 in its first day, then proceeded to sell only 14,000 over the next 3 days? Geez what a drop.

Yeah. It's sad. It'll probably become the lowest selling FE since Thracia 776 (making it the lowest ever).

almokla said:

Which is exactly the point I was trying to make.

Maybe next time I should add a little ;) at the end to make it more obvious.

Comparing PSP to the XBox 360 like you did is comparing apples to oranges.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
My pet peeves with the psp is that it's too fragile for my portable use. I can see people raving about it as gollum with its precious. I don't want to look like that ;-)
I may have a psp someday if winning eleven happens to be good. But that won't distract me from the DS and its genuinely original titles (most of them imported from Japan I confess). Long live these 2 consoles, there's indeed room for both of them on the market.

soundwave05 said:
Which is exactly the point I was trying to make.

Maybe next time I should add a little ;) at the end to make it more obvious.

Comparing PSP to the XBox 360 like you did is comparing apples to oranges.

no its not.. why?

cuz I said so...

I never thought of buying an XB and I wasn't planning on geting XB2, but after reading that post that I've quoted, it really made me think about getting XB2 instead of PSP(I'm planning on getting one by the end of the year)

so for ME atleast.. XB2 >>>> PSP

and it will be good cuz I'll be giving the XB a chance instead of hating it blindly

chances of almokla getting XB2 = 35%

Nightbringer

Don´t hit me for my bad english plase
Very well microsoft, that's the way to do a good vaporware... No release date announced and people yet avoiding psp to buy xb360... that's the way...

It reminds me win 2000...

byproduct

The Amiga Brotherhood
If people are avoiding the PSP it's mainly because of the price, fragility of the unit and lack of games, not because MS is releasing a new console soon.

Amir0x said:
63,187? Pfft, that's within the margin of error!
:lol That had me going.

Nice numbers all around though, I guess. What is coming up for the PSP in Japan? I can't think of anything, nor have I really been keeping track.

Polari

So touching isn't just good, but also profitable? Who knew?

And to think they still have all new Mario, Metroid, Animal Crossing and the god of all handheld franchises, Pokemon to come. Not to mention "No-line".

Colour me impressed - I was once adamant that I would NOT purchase a DS. Now I'm very tempted, but will probably wait for a price drop, Mario and AC.

Rock_Man

3(NEW) DS Naruto: Saikyou Ninja Daikesshuu 3 (Tomy)
4(NEW) DS Nintendogs: Shiba and Friends (Nintendo)
5(NEW) DS Nintendogs: Dachshund and Friends (Nintendo)
6(NEW) DS Nintendogs: Chihuahua and Friends (Nintendo)
10(NEW) PSP Shutokou Battle (Genki)
11(NEW) PSP Derby Time (Sony)
14(7) DS Touch! Kirby (Nintendo)
21(19) DS Sawaru Made in Wario (Nintendo)
24(11) DS Egg Monster Hero (Square Enix)
27(18) DS Super Mario 64 DS (Nintendo)
28(16) PSP Minna no Golf Portable (Sony)
30(15) PSP Tales of Eternia (Namco)
32(23) PSP Sarugetchu P! (Sony)
34(30) DS Pac Pix (Namco)
35(21) PSP Bleach: Heat the Soul (Sony)
36(45) DS Catch! Touch! Yoshi! (Nintendo)
40(31) PSP Namco Museum (Namco)
41(22) DS Electroplankton (Nintendo)

Wipeout is out...

puck1337

Having new hardware colours and new software will do that. People want these systems, they just want something to play on them before they buy one.

Top Bottom