• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan charts: Media Create 18 - 24 Apr

heidern

Jonnyram said:
Thing is, Minna no Golf is a million seller on the PS & PS2 usually.
It's sold 336k on the PSP to date, in Japan.
Is Sony mistaking its potential audience?

There definitely is an issue there. Also don't forget that Dynasty Warriors is million seller in Japan too, and DW PSP is only around 200-250K so far. The only other "Sony" games that have million selling potential are Winning Eleven, GT, FF and DQ. With no Dragon Quest PSP in sight, that means that Sony have released 40%(2 out of 5) of their killer games already. Sounds dramatic, but it is actually true.

Worse still, Dynasty Warriors, Winning Eleven, FF and DQ games are already confirmed for release on the DS. Add in portable hits like Pokemon and Megaman EXE ready to hit as well as Nintendo games like Nintendogs and Mario Kart and you can see why Nintendo are sitting pretty at the moment.

I honestly think that if Sony want to do something they will have to come up with something new. Sure Nintendo have had success with console games transferred to portables, but the real successes have been games that were aimed at portables first. Tetris, Pokemon, Megaman EXE, Warioware and now Nintendogs were all released with portables as their primary market. If Sony's plan is to rely on pedigree console franchises like GT Mobile and FF:Crisis Core then I think that they will lose big time in Japan.

BTW love your new avatar Jonny!

LMAO FUNNY SHIT

zangiefsmall2dn.gif

Unison

heidern said:
There definitely is an issue there. Also don't forget that Dynasty Warriors is million seller in Japan too, and DW PSP is only around 200-250K so far. The only other "Sony" games that have million selling potential are Winning Eleven, GT, FF and DQ. With no Dragon Quest PSP in sight, that means that Sony have released 40%(2 out of 5) of their killer games already. Sounds dramatic, but it is actually true.

Wow, when you put it that way, you have to wonder what's going to make Japan go for PSP...

Admittedly, though, isn't the comparatively tiny PSP userbase to blame here (though if we agree that it is, all PSP games seem doomed to sell fewer than 300K!)?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Meier said:
Hehe, he was posting the first week sales of the originals I think. John Harker was asking the last big RPG for the Cube since Baten Kaitos, I imagine.

Ha, yea thats exactly what I meant... Thanks. At leats someone understood.

Woa sorry to bring this back, I didn't realize the thread had gone to over 6 pages already, heh.

jarrod

Banned
John Harker said:
Ha, yea thats exactly what I meant... Thanks. At leats someone understood.

Woa sorry to bring this back, I didn't realize the thread had gone to over 6 pages already, heh.
The last big GameCube RPG in Japan would've been Paper Mario RPG or Rockman X Command Mission actually. Homeland looks like the next one after Fire Emblem.

And the fact that some people still swim in a river called denial.

DS for 2005 > PSP for 2005. But we won't bother admitting that.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
heidern said:

I think Hot Shots Golf has put up pretty good numbers considering it was released at the PSP launch (= the worst userbase possible) on a completely new handheld with no "Nintendo" or "Game Boy" on it.
I mean, I don't think one can expect the one million people who bought Dynasty Warriors 4 (or is it 5 now?) for PS2 to run out and buy a new PSP just to play a (mediocre) handheld version of the same game.
And how many million-sellers do we usually see in a 3-4 month timespan for handhelds in Japan? Would be interesting to see a list over all the GBA games fitting that description for some perspective on the matter.

European sales are hard to get hold of and keep tracking... can of worms.

The US picture is gonna be much more interesting than it is now in a months or so time. PSPs launch was much bigger than the DS'. Sony shipped a huge number to stores for day one, and lest we forget that day one was only a few weeks back. Nintendo had their day one at the end of last year, with a lower shipment, in the same timeframe they were having day one in Japan. I do think it's likely we'll see an international split though - with PSP having an edge in the west. PSP's gains in Japan seem to be slowing... at least until they get a big title to come along. There again it could all simply be down to whos doing what to get some sales spurts... Here's the numbers as posted earlier, and a few graphs.

http://www.dweebonaughts.com/PSP_DS_JAPAN.xls

jarrod

Banned
Monorojo said:
Adding Europe would be fine, excpet for the fact PSP isnt out in Europe.
Doesn't strike as any more disingenious than slicing down numbers to specific regions where only one side gets a new platform launch either.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Rock_Man said:
3(NEW) DS Naruto: Saikyou Ninja Daikesshuu 3 (Tomy)
4(NEW) DS Nintendogs: Shiba and Friends (Nintendo)
5(NEW) DS Nintendogs: Dachshund and Friends (Nintendo)
6(NEW) DS Nintendogs: Chihuahua and Friends (Nintendo)
10(NEW) PSP Shutokou Battle (Genki)
11(NEW) PSP Derby Time (Sony)
14(7) DS Touch! Kirby (Nintendo)
21(19) DS Sawaru Made in Wario (Nintendo)
24(11) DS Egg Monster Hero (Square Enix)
27(18) DS Super Mario 64 DS (Nintendo)
28(16) PSP Minna no Golf Portable (Sony)
30(15) PSP Tales of Eternia (Namco)
32(23) PSP Sarugetchu P! (Sony)
34(30) DS Pac Pix (Namco)
35(21) PSP Bleach: Heat the Soul (Sony)
36(45) DS Catch! Touch! Yoshi! (Nintendo)
40(31) PSP Namco Museum (Namco)
41(22) DS Electroplankton (Nintendo)

Poor Meteos... ouch.

Electroplankton, the other "non-game"... well, I guess puppies > fish

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I wish there was a button on GAF that would round up all the "DS is gonna get 0wned" posts and make a page out of it.

Amir0x

Banned
It's time for the Amir0x crow eatin' hour, starring Nintendogs:

EatCrow.jpg

ddkawaii said:
I see 'dogs selling 20K-40K its first week of sale. The type of person this game appeals to has no real reason to run out to the store and buy a game near release...If it's good it might have legs ... if it's bad it'll prolly dissapoint all those here expecting it to set DS sales afire...

Oo, ouch ddkawaii. Sorry, you have lost the contest. 20k-40k is not the right answer!

Source

Oogami said:
And Nintendogs won't sell. At least people shouldn't think that it'll be comparable to Pokemon.

Hey Oogami, not only did Nintendogs sell, but it's also comparable to Pokemon! *swoosh*

Source

captainbiotch said:
Nintendogs will not be the second coming of pokemon. Nor a DS savior. My thoughts anyway.

Well, maybe not. But 90,000+ DS sold says that the DS didn't even need savin'!

Source

puck1337 said:
200k in Japan by end of year, max. Not a troll.

200k, eh? Well, let's hope a meteor hits Japan tommorrow, eh chap?

Source

And just for comedy...

Sho Nuff said:
I predict Nintendogs will go PUPPY PLATINUM with a score of 36 or higher!

You sure did predict it - right on the money!

Source

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Amir0x said:
It's time for the Amir0x crow eatin' hour, starring Nintendogs:

EatCrow.jpg

Oo, ouch ddkawaii. Sorry, you have lost the contest. 20k-40k is not the right answer!

Source

Hey Oogami, not only did Nintendogs sell, but it's also comparable to Pokemon! *swoosh*

Source

Well, maybe not. But 90,000+ DS sold says that the DS didn't even need savin'!

Source

200k, eh? Well, let's hope a meteor hits Japan tommorrow, eh chap?

Source

And just for comedy...

You sure did predict it - right on the money!

Source
It wasn't even a week, but just four days, Amirox. :lol

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Monorojo said:
2005 year total US+Japan
PSP - 1,375,925
DS - 1,103,390
Do you even know that you don't have the correct totals? If you're going to post stupidness, at least post the correct numbers.

PSP - 1,366,406 (US = 618,530, JP = 747,876)
DS - 1,101,611 (US = 425,301, JP = 676,310)

Just for fun, lets look at 2004. :)

PSP - 482,252 (Japan-only)
DS - 2,721,190 (US = 1,225,594, JP = 1,495,596)

Hey look at that, the PSP still hasn't sold in 20 weeks (1,230,128) what the DS sold in the first 4 weeks (1,286,074) in Japan. :)

"Comparable to pokemon" is a broad statement. Comparable launch success of the initial release? Comparable lifetime sales totals? Pokemon was a game whos success was built on word of mouth, like GTA3 or Goldeneye, its launch was extremely modest when you look at the millions of lifetime sales. When Nintendogs hits a million with steady strong sales then we can talk "comparable".

90k is one small victorious battle in a 5 year war.

On the other hand I'm glad Nintendogs had a hit launch.

heidern

Kiriku said:
I think Hot Shots Golf has put up pretty good numbers considering it was released at the PSP launch (= the worst userbase possible) on a completely new handheld with no "Nintendo" or "Game Boy" on it...

Well Mario 64 and Warioware Touch are both over double that of Hotshots Golf at around 700K each, and they were both at the DS launch. Let's also not forget such launch games as Halo and Mario 64 selling millions. You also miss the point, the big software(Hotshots/DW) is supposed to drive the hardware...

And how many million-sellers do we usually see in a 3-4 month timespan for handhelds in Japan?

Well yeah you don't see million seller Game Boy games. But it doesn't matter because the monster that is Pokemon ends up selling 5 million copies by itself to drive the system. The point is, if Dynasty Warriors and Hot Shots can't drive PSP sales, why should GT or Winning Eleven or a Final Fantasy spin off do so? If these games can't drive sales then what will?

Hey look at that, the PSP still hasn't sold in 20 weeks (1,230,128) what the DS sold in the first 4 weeks (1,286,074) in Japan.

Fucking hell, didnt realise it was that bad.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
heidern said:
Well Mario 64 and Warioware Touch are both over double that of Hotshots Golf at around 700K each, and they were both at the DS launch. Let's also not forget such launch games as Halo and Mario 64 selling millions.

Well yeah you don't see million seller Game Boy games. But it doesn't matter because the monster that is Pokemon ends up selling 5 million copies by itself to drive the system. The point is, if Dynasty Warriors and Hot Shots can't drive PSP sales, why should GT or Winning Eleven or a Final Fantasy spin off do so? If these games can't drive sales then what will?

Mario 64 and Warioware Touch have double the sales, but the DS also has double the userbase. And since you're comparing sales of Hot Shots Golf on PSX/PS2 with the PSP version, how about if we throw in some numbers for the N64 version of Mario 64 into this discussion? ;)

Yeah, the monster that is Pokemon sells a lot...but again, what about all the other million sellers or even close to million sellers on GBA?
I don't think we should write off all these big PS2 games being released in new versions on PSP to be a flop, it's too early to draw conclusions like that. But I also agree that Sony needs something new and original, something that 'defines' PSP and makes people remember it as 'the handheld that had THIS game' rather than the handheld that had 'these portable versions of PS2 hits'.

Monorojo

Banned
It unthinkable that a consoles sell better in December than they do in Jan-Apr

Oh wait, no it isnt. Its damn near logical.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Monorojo said:
It unthinkable that a consoles sell better in December than they do in Jan-Apr

Oh wait, no it isnt. Its damn near logical.
I didn't say it was logical cutting off the most popular sales period of the year but you did it anyway. :)

BTW since this thread is dealing with Japanese sales data lets keep it concerning only Japanese sales data.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
*Cue's Lil Flip's Game Over*

http://ds.ign.com/articles/607/607790p1.html

April 26, 2005 - Nintendo has announced the next phase in its Japan-only download program for the DS. Starting 4/28 (the start of Japan's Golden Week period of holidays) and continuing through 5/29, gamers will be able to take their DS system to participating retailers on the island nation to download special dog data for Nintendogs along with demos of three upcoming DS games: Konami's Ganbare Goemon, Atlus' Chou Shittou Caduceus and Nintendo's own Nou wo Kitaeru Otona no DS Training.

Those who picked up the Japanese version of Nintendogs last week are likely most interested in the dog data. Nintendo is offering players a chance to download Shin-chan, a dog that was apparently raised by game spokesperson and J-pop superstar Utada Hikaru. To make the download, you'll have to have progressed to the "Odekake" section of the game with your own dog. Once the download is made, you'll be able to select to have Shin-chan come over and play with your dog.

The Nintendo DS download service offers DS users a chance to download content to their DS by connecting wirelessly to special terminals set up a retailers throughout Japan. The service debuted earlier this year with a downloadable demo of Bandai's Meteos.

heidern

Kiriku said:
Mario 64 and Warioware Touch have double the sales, but the DS also has double the userbase.

Yeah, so um have you ever considered the possibility that the reason the DS has double the userbase is because Mario 64 and Warioware are stronger games than Hotshots and Dynasty Warriors for a handheld? Software drives hardware.

bigNman

Speaking of DS today I helped my sisters boyfriends sister move flat and I saw a DS on her table. At first I thought it was her brothers but then she asked me if I wanted a shot of her DS. She has never been into games before so I was kinda shocked to see her with one.

Put it another way, I dont think there is a chance in hell she would have paid £180 for a PSP.

cvxfreak

heidern said:
Yeah, so um have you ever considered the possibility that the reason the DS has double the userbase is because Mario 64 and Warioware are stronger games than Hotshots and Dynasty Warriors for a handheld? Software drives hardware.

:lol Good point.

Fuzzy said:
I can't wait to see JoshuaJSlone's post about the meet up date.
"They like me! They really like me!"

Actually, the meetup date is nowhere near as interesting as when they were really close and I had them meeting up in 1991. :) This week's meetup date is January 9, 2005, where they'd both meet up at 738,216 units. The "If DS stopped selling" meetup date is November 11, 2005.

From a percentage standpoint, this is actually DS's second best week since the PSP launched. This week the DS:pSP ratio is like 74.5:25.5, whereas the week of December 20 was 78.7:21.3. Similarly, this is only the second week since PSP launched that DS's total share of the DS/PSP market increased, the other being the aforementioned week of December 20.

DS share total: 63.8%
PSP share total: 36.2%

DS share yearly: 47.5%
PSP share yearly: 52.5%

DS share post-PSP: 53.9%
PSP share post-PSP: 46.1%

Or adding in GBAs,

Nintendo portable share yearly: 56.0%
Sony portable share yearly: 44.0%

Nintendo portable share post-PSP: 64.2%
Sony portable share post-PSP: 35.8%

This is also the first time in a long time that the total of Sony hardware didn't outsell the total of Nintendo hardware... kinda obvious since DS outsold everything else combined. This week Nintendo's total hardware share was 63.7% to Sony's 36.3% and Microsoft's 0.1%.

PSP has reached 1,230,128, which is where DS was ~December 25. I think as long as I've been making this particular comparison, it's always resulted in a December 20-something date, since DS sold nearly 400,000 that week. Should break out of that week soon, though.

The DS-PSP difference is now 941,778. This essentially brings things back to where they were the week of February 14, when the lead was 940,717. Also very close to the week of December 20, when the lead was 933,779. So essentially, since the week of December 20 they've sold pretty evenly, with it yo-yo-ing in one direction or another for some weeks at a time.

heidern

You know JoshuaJ, I wanted to say good job but I can't. Why? Sales threads are never complete without charts and graphs. I know Gahigiddy isn't around right now, but c'mon man you know you can do it. BTW whats the biggest lead the DS has ever had?

Link

The Autumn Wind
heidern said:
Well, to be fair, the PSP was plagued by crippling shortages. By the time Sony sorted things out, the DS was off and running with major releases and new colors. Sony also missed out on a ton of holiday sales, as well as impulse launch purchases.

We'll see if they can recover from these missteps.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
heidern said:

uh, circular logic? "the ds has sold well because wario ware and mario 64 are such good portable games. how do we know mario 64 and wario ware are such good portable games? because the ds has sold so well."

and just to step back from that precipice of determining quality through sales: mario 64 ds is a terrible remake of a great game, and wario ware is obscenely shallow and only vaguely entertaining. can't vouch for dynasty warriors, but neither game is a patch on minna no golf.

MoccaJava

Banned
and just to step back from that precipice of determining quality through sales: mario 64 ds is a terrible remake of a great game, and wario ware is obscenely shallow and only vaguely entertaining.

Oh, you have a DS? When did ya get one?

drohne

and there are really only two good things about mario 64: the control and the level design. these are big things. but take one away and you have a much weaker game. i don't like the way it clutters the sublime original design with new characters and minilevels either.

i don't have a ds, and i hope i never will, but i've played a friend's some.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Super Mario 64 DS 87%

The game has gotten pretty good scores all around so I could only assume he is using drohnlogic. Or he is using his personal opinion to prove a non opinionated point.

Edit: I just noticed that SM64DS has a slightly higher average than Ridge Racer PSP. I don't know if that has any relevance to either argument but whatever.

drohne

you really can't take the subjectivity out of a discussion of a game's quality. gamerankings is just mass subjectivity, and sales are irrelevant. i guess we're stuck with personal opinion! oh no! (i'm not suggesting, however, that all opinions are equally valid)

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
drohne said:
you really can't take the subjectivity out of a discussion of a game's quality. gamerankings is just mass subjectivity, and sales are irrelevant. i guess we're stuck with personal opinion! oh no!

Touche

EDIT: Well then we have to ask ourselves what is the determining factor of an opinion? I would assume culmination of similiar opinions.

Top Bottom