• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan charts: Media Create 28 Mar - 3 Apr

Bebpo

Banned
Odnetnin said:
to the people going ouch at the Namco Tekken 5 numbers. Yeah... ouch but I do think the franchise has legs. Either that or Tekken 4 really left a bad taste in their mouths

...or the Japanese have never been Tekken fans and prefer VF to other 3d fighters.

ninge

I said it when they first announced it... the standalone pack was clearly just for them to hit that "magical" launch price point. I'm really not suprised that its been quietly phased out already in favour of the clearly much more lucrative "value" pack.

Also, the drop in PSP sales isnt that surprising when you think that the import markets in the rest of the world have up until recently only been able to get their PSPs from japan which can easily drive up weekly sales by a few thousand at least.. Now with the NA version available most (if not all) of the market for imports has gone away and/or been replaced with US exports..

Odnetnin

Banned
Bebpo said:
...or the Japanese have never been Tekken fans and prefer VF to other 3d fighters.

is that right? I thought it was huge - I read the EDGE article and the Namco guy said that fans hated 4 and they were trying to right things in 5.

I don't see how 200,000 is bad....>_>, especially being that T5 has worldwide appeal.

Where it can sell "ok" in all three regions and still sell over a million.

ourumov

Japan is all about VF...Tekken has never been very popular despite certain games in the series faring pretty well.
I think that those numbers are not bad considering how things were after 4.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
What's the big deal with all these Winning Eleven games that come out in Japan, seems like there's a new one every 2 months...?

jarrod

Banned
duckroll said:
It was 150k for Namco Museum PSP, 300k for ToE PSP, 500k for Tekken 5, 300k for Pac Pix, 600k for XS Ep1 and 600k for XS Ep2. :lol
Don't forget...

Tales of Symphonia~ 500k
Tales of Rebirth~ 800k
Crisis Zone~ 300k
R: Racing Evolution~ 300k
Katamari Damacy~ 200k

...and especially...

Baten Kaitos~ 500k

...I wonder exactly which Namco games have met targets this gen? Probably only ToD2 and SC2. :/

jarrod

Banned
Kiriku said:
How much did Tekken 4 sell in Japan (compared to VF4)?
Here's some comparative sales for the big 3D fighters this gen...

Tekken Tag Tournament (PS2) 457,340
Tekken 4 (PS2) 318,920

Virtua Fighter 3tb (DC) 308,707
Virtua Fighter 4 (PS2) 541,973
Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution (PS2) 107,254

Soul Calibur (DC) 288,604
Soul Calibur II (PS2) 144,948
Soul Calibur II (GC) 97,148
Soul Calibur II (XB) 31,815

Dead or Alive 2 (PS2) 341,362
Dead or Alive 2 Limited Edition (DC) 127,219
Dead or Alive 3 (XB) 217,149
Dead or Alive Ultimate (XB) 62,089

Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen! (GC) 182,420
Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen! 2 (GC) 396,608
Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen! 3 (GC) 356,589

Miburou

Fighting games just aren't that popular in Japan anymore. VF3 and VF4 sold only a fraction of what VF2 did on Saturn. Tekken sales have been in decline since Tekken Tag.

And for the record Tekken has outsold VF in Japan.

heidern

Jonnyram said:
I'm sorry... I was referring to the DS and PSP specifically when I said "each".

Aww man, you gave the game away. We all know what this is about. might as well change the weekly thread titles to DS vs PSP: Fight :lol

GDJustin said:
Interesting hardware info, if true. This pushes the projected "PSP overtake" date back another month or so.

Actually there is no projected overtake date is the DS is selling faster. However the catchup date if DS sales went to 0 has gone back from the beginning of August to the beginning of October.

DCharlie said:
now the DS is outselling the PSP at the rate that the PSP was outselling the DS , does that mean that the PSP is now doomed? (of course not, but i'm sure some cockbite will claim so)

I wouldn't go so far as doomed but it is very worrying for Sony on 2 levels if the sales decrease of 10K each is true. Firstly, we all know the DS started off real strong and then dipped every week. In the last week of January the DS fell to 43,226. The following week it went down to 29,552, the first time you could say the sales were not great. At this point the DS stood at 1.78M. If psp sales are down to around 33,000 this week, it means that has happened with the sales at around 1.1M. That's a lot earlier when you take into account every(half decent) system has a large automatic launch audience.

Secondly, this would mean DS has gone ahead in week to week sales. Full stop, no excuses(e.g. you could have argued that psp for weeks being ahead was only temporary due to pent up launch demand so wasn't a "clean" lead, or that last weeks DS lead was temporary because of the colours). Worse still, the DS has a clear plan to maintain/increase sales in the short term(new colours and strong software) in addition to the DS sotware basically kicking ass this past month or so. On the other hand, the PSP doesn't seem to have much short term in terms of strong software or other gimmickry to push sales back up. If the rumoured sales are true then next week could be the week that people will back at as the week the DS became the winner in the war.

jarrod

Banned
Miburou said:
And for the record Tekken has outsold VF in Japan.
Not this generation. Or last really...

VF1~ 900k
VF2~ 1.70M

T1~ ??? (under 1M)
T2~ 1.37M
T3~ 1.40M

...unless you meant cumulatively? But then there's been only 4 full VF releases compared to 6 Tekkens.... the average VF outsells the average Tekken no doubt.

I said this when the DS was behind, and I'll say it again when the PSP is behind--

Lagging in week-to-week sales during the off-season is no big deal. It may indicate momentum, but the big sales are in Q4. Nobody needs to worry about anything except maintaining visibility and getting hot titles is the pipeline.

Miburou

Yeah, I meant total sales (even without counting Tekken 5's sales, so that it's 5 versus 5). Hell you could remove T4 and T5 and VF4E, and the two series' total sales would be more or less equal.

Of course someone can argue that VF3 was released too late, and on the short-lived Dreamcast, but my reply was just to those saying that Tekken was never popular in Japan, and that it's always been VF land.

jarrod

Banned
Miburou said:
Yeah, I meant total sales (even without counting Tekken 5's sales, so that it's 5 versus 5).
No, it'd still be 5 vs 4 for "full games" in Tekken's favor. Evo is just an upgrade (though admittedly substantial by VF standards) so it's never going to have the selling power a sequel would. On a game by game basis, VF's always done better (except for VF3, which was a sloppy outsourced port on a doomed platform).

Miburou said:
but my reply was just to those saying that Tekken was never popular in Japan, and that it's always been VF land.
Well, Japan has always been VF land, but they still like Tekken. It's in a solid 2nd place.

The series outselling the VF series is simply due to more Tekken games released though, each VF game sells proportionately better. VF tends to perform substantially better in arcades as well.

Duckhuntdog said:
It's really interesting, the PSP has for the most part outsold the DS for most of this year, yet software sales wise the DS is just killing the PSP. Not that Sony cares, as long as the system sells do they really care WTF it's ultimate use is?
As long as they have similar tie ratios but DS remains ahead in overall hardware sold, it only makes sense that DS software will tend to sell better. Disagree with the next bit, too. PSP seems to be aping the console tactic of breaking even or taking a loss to get the hardware out there, in hopes of making money back with the software. The question was always whether the PSP would manage to get a significantly higher tie ratio than previous portables to make such a plan feasible.

DCharlie said:
I know, ... but maybe all Nintendo fans are christians...
Christians? Nah. But commercialized pagan/Christian mish-mashes? Oh we down with that!

Ignatz said:
Lagging in week-to-week sales during the off-season is no big deal. It may indicate momentum, but the big sales are in Q4. Nobody needs to worry about anything except maintaining visibility and getting hot titles is the pipeline.
So very correct.

Mrbob

If Nintendo can release a couple new colors every month or so they'll have it made over the next couple years.

Actually, that isn't a bad idea. I'm surprised more console manufacturers don't release new colors/styles every 3 months. You get a nice boost in hardware sales when it happens.

Mrbob said:
If Nintendo can release a couple new colors every month or so they'll have it made over the next couple years.

Actually, that isn't a bad idea. I'm surprised more console manufacturers don't release new colors/styles every 3 months. You get a nice boost in hardware sales when it happens.
Because that's instrucing retailers to not buy systems, but buy a certain amount every few months, lowering overall sales.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Hollywood said:
What now?

...the japanese public gets over the excitement of PINK OR MAYBE BLUE DUAL SCREEN NINTENDOS and things presently settle into their usual pattern? new system colors aren't a basis for long-term success.

DS total: 2,023,989 (passes 2 million)
PSP total: 1,139,326

PSP's total is approximately DS's total December 22, 2004.

Nintendo portable total weekly: 61,807

Nintendo total: 65,561
Sony total: 78,028

Week over week percentages (previous in parentheses)
GCN: -17.8% (+36.1%)
GBA: +64.5% (+36.9%)
GBASP: +18.8% (+35.3%)
DS: -22.9% (+148.7%)
PS2: +9.2% (+0.3%)
PSP: -21.2% (-1.4%)
XB: -17.5% (+17.7%)

Year to date
PS2: 686,831
PSP: 657,074
DS: 528,393
GBASP: 230,380
GCN: 78,338
GBA: 7,980
XB: 5,347

Post-PSP launch (estimated)
DS: 1,384,627
PS2: 1,209,089
PSP: 1,139,326
GBASP: 624,707
GCN: 250,065
GBA: 15,908
XB: 7,504

Between DS/PSP
DS weekly share 55.9%, PSP 44.1%
DS yearly share 44.6%, PSP 55.4%
DS total share 64.0%, PSP 36.0%
DS post-PSP launch share 53.4%, PSP 46.6%

Between Nintendo portables/PSP
NP weekly share 64.6%, PSP 35.4%
NP yearly share 53.9%, PSP 46.1%
NP post-PSP launch share 64.0%, PSP 36.0%

If every week was a clone of this week, DS and PSP would meet up May 24, 2003 (not long after PSP's announcement) at -2,153,015 units apiece. If DS stopped selling but PSP continued selling at this rate every week, it would catch up October 2, 2005.

Graphically since DS launch (horizontal lines removed to more easily see the individual system lines)
20050328mediacreate.gif

And the changing DS-PSP difference
20050328dspsp.gif

LowTecky

I think it's more significant that the PSP dropped in sales. It's a given that the NDS will see a boost with the new colors, but is it possible that this directly ate into sony's product?

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
JoshuaJSlone said:
If every week was a clone of this week, DS and PSP would meet up May 24, 2003 (not long after PSP's announcement) at -2,153,015 units apiece. If DS stopped selling but PSP continued selling at this rate every week, it would catch up October 2, 2005.

So wait, you're telling me that even though the DS outsold the PSP this week, they will meet up in sales back in time 2 years ago?

is Nintendo doing the "right" thing for a change with the DS ?

plenty of support, very good sales, and things just look to be better in the future ..

I'm really interested to see how will it do when Nintendogs is released ..

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
GSG Flash said:
So wait, you're telling me that even though the DS outsold the PSP this week, they will meet up in sales back in time 2 years ago?
He's using flawed math. While it makes sense, theoretically, it is actually not possible, as there can be no sales data of both systems before the launch period, realistically. :lol (negative time is non existent)

Odnetnin

Banned
drohne said:
...the japanese public gets over the excitement of PINK OR MAYBE BLUE DUAL SCREEN NINTENDOS and things presently settle into their usual pattern? new system colors aren't a basis for long-term success.

you got owned.

drohne

and how. i take every sale of a ds as a personal affront, and this week there were NIGH ON FIFTY THOUSAND OF THEM.

edit: oh wait - perhaps you think new ds colors weren't released. they were. last week. though you'll have to ask jonnyram what colors specifically.

GaimeGuy said:
He's using flawed math. While it makes sense, theoretically, it is actually not possible, as there can be no sales data of both systems before the launch period, realistically. :lol (negative time is non existent)
The math is not flawed. Interpreting it to project a meeting of negative sales in the past is flawed. But for good fun!

GSG Flash said:
Since DS beat out PSP by ~9000 this week, for each week we go back PSP would gain 9000 on DS. So going back about 100 weeks catches it up.

Amir0x

Banned
drohne said:
and how. i take every sale of a ds as a personal affront, and this week there were NIGH ON FIFTY THOUSAND OF THEM.

edit: oh wait - perhaps you think new ds colors weren't released. they were. last week. though you'll have to ask jonnyram what colors specifically.

graphite black and pure white

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
drohne said:

He knows it was because of the new colours, he was just mocking you for saying it was the Pink and Blue DS' when they were the Black and White DS'.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
JoshuaJSlone said:
The math is not flawed. Interpreting it to project a meeting of negative sales in the past is flawed. But for good fun!

Since DS beat out PSP by ~9000 this week, for each week we go back PSP would gain 9000 on DS. So going back about 100 weeks catches it up.

Well that's what I meant. The math wasn't flawed, except for the fact that there's a domain you have to consider.

drohne

you think so? then standards for "owned" must be hitting all-time lows! i wish i knew less about the state of colored ds shells!

Odnetnin

Banned
drohne said:

cry baby. What does me asking questions about colours have to do with anything. At least I'm not so full of myself to ASS U ME and make bold damage control proclaimations.

wahhhhhmbulance

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
By the way does anyone know if the Poké Park DS sales will be counted by Media Create? It's a Nintendo owned place and an amusement park at that. Not an ordinary retailer you'd gather data from o.o?

drohne

nintendo fans often have this inscrutable quality. either you can't follow their thinking or you can't tell what they're talking about. or both. it leads you to assume that they're not native english speakers. odnetnin, where are you from, anyway? and for god's sake what's going on over there?

Top Bottom