• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan charts: Media Create 4-10 April

How many times can I say this?

A margin difference in sales in the off-season is not particularly indicative of anything except relative momentum. I was saying this when PSP was ahead, I said it the last coupleof weeks when DS was clearly ahead, and I am saying it now that DS is slightly ahead.

I *am* a Sony fan, and the one thing this does tell me (that makes me happy) is the PSP is a competitor for marketshare with Nintendo, something which was far from a sure thing 6 months ago, when many people thought the PSP would bomb. It hasn't, it's stable, hooray for me the Sony fan, not at all at expense of the Nintendo fan.

Now everybody grow the fuck up.

Ignatz Mouse said:
How many times can I say this?

A margin difference in sales in the off-season is not particularly indicative of anything except relative momentum. I was saying this when PSP was ahead, I said it the last coupleof weeks when DS was clearly ahead, and I am saying it now that DS is slightly ahead.

I *am* a Sony fan, and the one thing this does tell me (that makes me happy) is the PSP is a competitor for marketshare with Nintendo, something which was far from a sure thing 6 months ago, when many people thought the PSP would bomb. It hasn't, it's stable, hooray for me the Sony fan, not at all at expense of the Nintendo fan.

Now everybody grow the fuck up.

It is a sales thread. You expected different? Shame on you. ;)

Crank: No, I'm drawn to the flames and bickering, and my post is pretty hypocritical, really.

:p

Oh well. At least there's a viable alternative to Nintendo handhelds now. THat alone is worth celebrating.

NWO

Oogami said:
Because both systems are only around for 5 months. Give it time. I never said PSP will destroy DS right from the start, but rather in a year or two. Don't forget DS still has the Nintendo handheld brand so it's selling well now. But not for long given all the backlash from the unsatisfy DS owners and other gamers and media. PSP is in an expensive price point so most people are still in a wait and see approach, but once give it some time and a holiday season or two, rave reviews and excellent feedback around the world will make it unstoppable.

What's funny is that the DS was labeled the Virtual Boy 2 and nobody expected it to do shit when the PSP was announced. Now the DS is surviving and its actually beating the PSP and that EATS PEOPLE ALIVE ON THIS FORUM.

I don't get how people can say Nintendo fans are annoying when the DS haters are intolerable. I don't care shit about that Nintendogs game but I hope it sells 1 million just to see some people squirm on this forum.

So many people wanted Nintendo to fail with this thing and they can't take it that the market CAN hold two handhelds. So they have to spew damage control left and right like your doing.

Guess what you and everyone else that has been hating on the DS since day one is going to say that the PSP will be unstoppable even though every week it looks less and less likely until there is no chance of it doing so.

I mean the PSP was suppose to be the Ipod killer and Gameboy killer built into one but it can't even beat a third pillar by Nintendo that has graphics from 10 years ago. :lol :lol :lol :lol

Ignatz Mouse said:
Crank: No, I'm drawn to the flames and bickering, and my post is pretty hypocritical, really.

:p

Oh well. At least there's a viable alternative to Nintendo handhelds now. THat alone is worth celebrating.

Ig, I should have made my post more general. I wasn't meaning to single you out. Plus, I know you have the maturity to take a ribbing.

I understand your frustration and yes, your post was not out of line by any stretch. But some people do come into sales threads and rant about how dumb sales threads are. Well, why come into a thread that has a topic person will go ballistic or think it is dumb? We all succumb to this from time to time...

As per DS v. PSP, I don't like the way either one stacks up right now. neither handheld is being used or has been designe to its potential. For example, The DS could make a fantasitic little portable miniMoog (release a mini subwoofer with a pocket clip would be a dream come true), theremin or DX7. Paving inroads into the music making biz. Talk about cool factor. That would be about #1. Add a midi in and out port. Will it happen? Doubt it. The PSP lacks a hard drive. As a mobile audio device, that is looney. It took the GBA a second time to get it right. I hope the DS and PSP release upgraded models. Soon.

Kseutron

NWO said:
What's funny is that the DS was labeled the Virtual Boy 2 and nobody expected it to do shit when the PSP was announced. Now the DS is surviving and its actually beating the PSP and that EATS PEOPLE ALIVE ON THIS FORUM.

I don't get how people can say Nintendo fans are annoying when the DS haters are intolerable. I don't care shit about that Nintendogs game but I hope it sells 1 million just to see some people squirm on this forum.

So many people wanted Nintendo to fail with this thing and they can't take it that the market CAN hold two handhelds. So they have to spew damage control left and right like your doing.

Guess what you and everyone else that has been hating on the DS since day one is going to say that the PSP will be unstoppable even though every week it looks less and less likely until there is no chance of it doing so.

I mean the PSP was suppose to be the Ipod killer and Gameboy killer built into one but it can't even beat a third pillar by Nintendo that has graphics from 10 years ago. :lol :lol :lol :lol

well gaf is graphic whores' heaven so it's no surprise that the DS wasn't very popular at first

Crank: Fair enough. I caught the winkie in your post.

Me? I don't really care much about music or movies on PSP, so the lack of an HD is no biggie. Wireless gaming on the go is the biggest draw. They need party-style, deathmatch-style and other community games, stat. They need an FPS *now*. But generally, I am happy with it.

As far as touchcreen apps for DS like music generation-- I think you'll sooner see those in a Palm or MS OS'ed handheld, frankly. For all the hate the Gizmondo gets, I think that's the trend to watch for touchscreen gaming.

Ignatz Mouse said:
Crank: Fair enough. I caught the winkie in your post.

Me? I don't really care much about music or movies on PSP, so the lack of an HD is no biggie. Wireless gaming on the go is the biggest draw. They need party-style, deathmatch-style and other community games, stat. They need an FPS *now*. But generally, I am happy with it.

As far as touchcreen apps for DS like music generation-- I think you'll sooner see those in a Palm or MS OS'ed handheld, frankly. For all the hate the Gizmondo gets, I think that's the trend to watch for touchscreen gaming.

I caught your "stat". You in the health care business?

As per FPS, would Metroid: Hunters be what you are looking for?

Maybe Palm or a MS OS'd handheld may get the market for music, but will they add midi in/out? I highly doubt that. Plus, musician's don't usually like computers or the appearance of business that much. PDAs scream business. The DS has fugly quirky written all over it. Like a digital Telecaster.

Not in the healthcare business.

Metroid would be great-- but I have a PSP. The PSP is what I was referring to as needing a networked FPS.

Midi in or out would come along when some enterpirinsing person makes one. Plenty of dunky-looking Palm models, as well.

Ignatz Mouse said:
Not in the healthcare business.

Metroid would be great-- but I have a PSP. The PSP is what I was referring to as needing a networked FPS.

Midi in or out would come along when some enterpirinsing person makes one. Plenty of dunky-looking Palm models, as well.

Ig, take the plunge like Drinky did. Get a DS. We won't think less of you. ;) (Don't buy a used one). There will be lots of good stuff coming out for both systems.

No thanks. My experience with my GBA, GB Color and GB tell me I'll be likely disappointed. Plus, network games mean I need others to play with, and I don't think guysi in the office are likely to go for the DS, but several are about to take the plunge of the PSP.

vitaflo

Oogami said:
I think you're counting on Pokemon a little bit too much. It's not really *that* huge. For all we know Pokemon Dash didn't do anything and who knows how much a system seller Pokemon Diamond/Pearl will be. I mean there's not even a screenshot yet and might not come out for a long time(can be released in 2007 for all we know).

And who knows PSP might have a counter to Pokemon? I'm sure they're working on it.

I see Sony fanboys need to work on thier BS, it's obvious they haven't had to use it for a long time. That fluff just ain't gonna cut it, no sir, the xbots and nintendroids will chew you up and spit you out with that weak shit. Try harder!

Spike

Oogami said:
Umm everyone in this forum do think that PSP will completely destroy the DS. And it is doing just that.

Look at how far the DS has dropped in sales compared to last week. PSP dropped only about 5k, while da sux has dropped about 13k. So it's for sure this week PSP will be back owning the DS again.

Not to mention DS has already pulled the different color trick already, which PSP hasn't yet. Not to mention PSP is about $100 more expensive than the DS, and yet still outpacing the DS again really soon. That's saying a lot.

And the NPD is showing PSP is destroying the DS already.

To One console and One portable future! :D

Too bad stupidity isn't a bannable offense...

CrisKre

I am with DC Charly here. Though in my case I am liking and playing my DS more, go figure! The upcoming months I know I ll be buying tons of games for DS that interest me.

But both are great products for very different reasons. They catter to different preferences I guess.

Rocket9

SonyFanboy said:
I think you're counting on Pokemon a little bit too much. It's not really *that* huge. For all we know Pokemon Dash didn't do anything and who knows how much a system seller Pokemon Diamond/Pearl will be. I mean there's not even a screenshot yet and might not come out for a long time(can be released in 2007 for all we know).

Dash was a cheap crappy little spinoff. How can you even mention it here, totally irrelevant

Diamond and Pearl are the real thing, an actual RPG, and it's coming out in November this year

maharg

idspispopd
Oogami said:
Actually Sony has more scope for price cutting, like Microsoft, they've very deep pockets. Nintendo doesn't has nearly as much. Plus videogaming is solely Nintendo's business so they've to make money on their gaming stuff to survive. Unlike Microsoft and Sony. They can pricedrop all they want and not make a profit. Nintendo can't.

I think you're a bit confused. You seem to think that video games are a loss leader for Sony. On the contrary, it's more like everything else is a loss leader for their video games. When video games lose money, all of Sony loses money.

YOU KNOW THE DRILL

PSP/DS weekly shares
DS: 51.0%
PSP: 49.0%

Portable weekly shares
Nintendo: 60.4%
Sony: 39.6%

All hardware weekly shares
Sony: 58.4%
Nintendo: 41.6%
Microsoft: 0.3%

PSP/DS yearly shares
PSP: 55.1%
DS: 44.9%

Portable yearly shares
Nintendo: 54.2%
Sony: 45.8%

All hardware yearly shares
Sony: 61.1%
Nintendo: 38.7%
Microsoft: 0.2%

PSP/DS total shares
DS: 63.7%
PSP: 36.3%

PSP is at 1,168,174, which is where DS was ~December 24.

This is by far the closest week DS and PSP have ever had, which makes the predicted meetup date even zanier than normal. In a universe where DS beats PSP by 1,180 units each week, they theoretically met up on November 19, 1990 at -20,488,435 units. :D

DCharlie said:
i love the DS and PSP in equal amounts and different ways.

What a freak.
(Fanboy goggles on)
He loves them both equally, while DS costs significantly less. Thus, DS has a vastly superior love/cost ratio!

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
JoshuaJSlone said:
This is by far the closest week DS and PSP have ever had, which makes the predicted meetup date even zanier than normal. In a universe where DS beats PSP by 1,180 units each week, they theoretically met up on November 19, 1990 at -20,488,435 units. :D

(Fanboy goggles on)
He loves them both equally, while DS costs significantly less. Thus, DS has a vastly superior love/cost ratio!
I love your posts. :lol

Fuzzy

drohne said:
liking the ds and psp equally is tantamount to pro-ds bias.
So you are saying it's impossible to like two systems equally just because one is technically superior?

Fuzzy

drohne said:
that doesn't even resemble what i said.
I'm sorry let me fix what I posted.

So you are saying it's impossible to like two systems equally just because one is technically superior without having a bias?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
you're getting closer, but you're still turning my specific statement into a general one.

it'd be an interesting hypothetical case if the psp had its massive hardware advantage but the ds had good games. would make for great message board arguments that turned on some issues rather central to gaming. but as it turns out the psp's software advantage dwarfs even its hardware advantage, there's no argument to be had, and liking the ds as much as you like the psp is hardly a sign of impartiality.

Speevy

Banned
Liking the DS and PSP equally is a sign of indifference, which is pretty much what next generation consoles will bring back to that gaming medium.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
actually, speevy brings up a valid objection: if you don't like the ds or the psp at all, then you do like them equally but are not necessarily biased. on point, speevy.

he goes on from there into messianic visions of the xbox 360 launch, which he believes will unite all gamers in indifference to the remainder of this generation, handheld gaming generally, and god knows what else. we'll let him dream. poor speevy.

Speevy

Banned
he goes on from there into messianic visions of the xbox 360 launch, which he believes will unite all gamers in indifference to the remainder of this generation, handheld gaming generally, and god knows what else. we'll let him dream. poor speevy.

I think these three things only.

1) It's time for the next generation, for all three major hardware companies.
2) Microsoft's next console will probably be much better than its current one, and as such will present a very necessary and quality gaming option.
3) Handheld gaming doesn't interest me.

That's pretty much it.

Amir0x

Banned
Speevy said:
I think these three things only.

1) It's time for the next generation, in all of its forms.
2) Microsoft's next console will probably be much better than its current one, and as such will present a very necessary and quality gaming option.
3) Handheld gaming doesn't interest me.

That's pretty much it.

hey man PS2 was necessary and quality and you totally skipped that because you're poor so that doesn't seem much of a factor in your decision making process am i rite

Speevy

Banned
Amir0x said:
hey man PS2 was necessary and quality and you totally skipped that because you're poor so that doesn't seem much of a factor in your decision making process am i rite

I never said anything about the PS2. Try again.

Amir0x

Banned
Speevy said:
I never said anything about the PS2. Try again.

i know you said xbox 360 will be necessary and quality but so is ps2 and you don't care much for that in your generally failure-laden gaming life so i'm just sayin'.

Speevy

Banned
Amir0x said:
i know you said xbox 360 will be necessary and quality but so is ps2 and you don't care much for that in your generally failure-laden gaming life so i'm just sayin'.

Sure. It's not really in the budget, man. I'd probably have to sell both of my current consoles, and still wouldn't have enough. And what's this "failure-laden" business. Just say what you're meaning to say.

Amir0x

Banned
Speevy said:
Sure. It's not really in the budget, man. I'd probably have to sell both of my current consoles, and still wouldn't have enough. And what's this "failure-laden" business. Just say what you're meaning to say.

hehe, Speevy I'm just fuckin' with you man. You're so easy, I caught you in the other thread and you just got all pissed off ;)

Top Bottom