• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Famitsu: 3DS LL 192k, NMB2 431k in 2 days

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Yet Dave you love a smartphone as a gaming platform, whereas it has no buttons. To me that's a far worse hardware limitation than anything related to the XL.

Ryoku

Well, no. I do agree that the overall package is far more important than just the hardware though.

I want to make it clear that I was referring to video game platforms when I said hardware. That said, since the entire thing is subjective, it's best to agree to disagree at this point.

SmokyDave

Yet Dave you love a smartphone as a gaming platform, whereas it has no buttons. To me that's a far worse hardware limitation than anything related to the XL.
And to me, my iPhone has far superior hardware to the 3DS because it doesn't claw at my eyes with the cheapest, lowest res screen available and it's comfortable to hold for prolonged periods. I guess different people have different priorities. I don't think too many 3DS XL owners cared about buying cutting edge hardware so I'm not suggesting Nintendo are wrong for not pandering to me.

I want to make it clear that I was referring to video game platforms when I said hardware. That said, since the entire thing is subjective, it's best to agree to disagree at this point.
Works for me chap (although, I do actually agree with you!). I just find it such a shame that the far, far more powerful handheld is going to die a slow and painful death while the latest half-hearted Ninty box ascends to heaven on a chariot of gold. In message board terms, I'm a bitter fanboy.

XL is a pretty great portable - cant hate on that.
I can. The success of the 3DS & XL feels like a kick in the teeth, as a tech guy. Once again they underdelivered (compared to the competition) and once again, it's a successful strategy.

Lol, calling 3DS a mediocre hardware.
It's a pretty decent hardware, with nice features, a 3D glasses-free screen, a touchscreen, and decent power (Resident Evil Revelations blows a lot of your smartphone games. Even some of those rail shooters like Rage.)

SmokyDave

Lol, calling 3DS a mediocre hardware.
It's a pretty decent hardware, with nice features, a 3D glasses-free screen, a touchscreen, and decent power (Resident Evil Revelations blows a lot of your smartphone games. Even some of those rail shooters like Rage.)

As well as my smartphone, I also own a Vita and a 3DS. My assessment of the hardware as 'mediocre' was me being polite.

Anyway, back to celebrating sales, no need for me to bring the party down.

And to me, my iPhone has far superior hardware to the 3DS because it doesn't claw at my eyes with the cheapest, lowest res screen available and it's comfortable to hold for prolonged periods. I guess different people have different priorities. I don't think too many 3DS XL owners cared about buying cutting edge hardware so I'm not suggesting Nintendo are wrong for not pandering to me.

Your iPhone also cost something like 3 times a 3DS XL.

As well as my smartphone, I also own a Vita and a 3DS. My assessment of the hardware as 'mediocre' was me being polite.

Nah, calling the 3DS "mediocre" hardware was you being a troll.
It's good to have 720p screen for web browsing etc on a handheld. It's useless for gaming, worse, it's wasting a lot of ressources.

cvxfreak

The XL is so much better than the original 3DS model, it's not even funny. Playing Revelaitons on the thing is just outstanding.

I think NSMB 2 will be beyond 3 million by the end of the year.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
I can. The success of the 3DS & XL feels like a kick in the teeth, as a tech guy. Once again they underdelivered (compared to the competition) and once again, it's a successful strategy.

The most powerful hardware in the world ain't all that technically interesting if there's nothing good to do on it.

M3d10n

Man, 3DS sales-age will be a hilarious mess until we get a confirmation of whether or not digital retail sales are tracked or not.

We know that the 3DS hardware will become profitable for Nintendo in a month or two but does that include XL as well?

The entire reason behind the XL is to be able to get away charging $30 more for a "premium" model, so I assume it is quite profitable.

You already brought the party down. jk

but really though I dont care for the vita really if it dies and is like 70$ and shit I may buy one but the way you say it here..
Works for me chap (although, I do actually agree with you!). I just find it such a shame that the far, far more powerful handheld is going to die a slow and painful death while the latest half-hearted Ninty box ascends to heaven on a chariot of gold. In message board terms, I'm a bitter fanboy.
makes me sad a little.

jmls1121

Banned
Those are huge numbers for the LL, and I'm sure Mario had a bunch of eshop sales not reported by Famitsu

And LOL at calling the 3ds inferior hardware and that your "eyes bleed" from the bad screen. Get a grip.

StayDead

It is sad that the vita is dying a slow and painful death, but I think they made a mistake going for as powerful as they did.

On a handheld most of the time you want something you can pick up and put down often without losing your place, JRPGs are a good example of this sort of gameplay as you can open up, do a battle, put down and get back to work.

The vita tries to offer full console like experiences which IMO don't work all to well with the pick up and play mantra. That's why I think it's having so much trouble, too many games are just trying to be mini PS3 games rather than it going for it's own market.

jmls1121

Banned
It is sad that the vita is dying a slow and painful death, but I think they made a mistake going for as powerful as they did.

On a handheld most of the time you want something you can pick up and put down often without losing your place, JRPGs are a good example of this sort of gameplay as you can open up, do a battle, put down and get back to work.

The vita tries to offer full console like experiences which IMO don't work all to well with the pick up and play mantra. That's why I think it's having so much trouble, too many games are just trying to be mini PS3 games rather than it going for it's own market.

THIS. Sony tried this with PSP, and it would have been a big fail if it wasn't for monster hunter.

Launching with Uncharted was the exactly wrong type of game to try to convert people to handhelds as well.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Famitsu handheld openings

1989.04.21 (Nintendo GameBoy) - unknown (3 days)
1990.10.06 (Sega GameGear) - unknown (2 days)
1995.07.21 (Nintendo VirtualBoy) - unknown (3 days)
1996.07.21 (Nintendo GameBoyPocket) - unknown (1 day)
1998.04.14 (Nintendo GameBoyLight) - unknown (6 days)
1998.10.21 (Nintendo GameBoyColor) - 155.774 (5 days)
1998.10.28 (SNK NeoGeoPocket) - 21.471 (5 days)
1999.03.04 (Bandai WonderSwan) - 102.655 (4 days)
1999.03.19 (SNK NeoGeoPocketColor) - 18.809 (3 days)
2000.12.09 (Bandai WonderSwanColor) - 145.975 (2 days)
2001.03.21 (Nintendo GameBoyAdvance) - 611.504 (5 days)
2002.07.12 (Bandai SwanCrystal) - 30.692 (3 days)
2003.02.14 (Nintendo GameBoyAdvance SP) - 117.859 (3 days)
2004.12.02 (Nintendo DS) - 441.485 (4 days)
2004.12.12 (Sony PSP-1000) - 166.074 (1 day)
2005.09.13 (Nintendo GameBoyMicro) - 148.117 (6 days)
2006.03.02 (Nintendo DS Lite) - 67.653 (4 days)
2007.09.20 (Sony PSP-2000) - 263.538 (4 days)
2008.10.16 (Sony PSP-3000) - 155.720 (4 days)
2008.11.01 (Nintendo DSi) - 170.779 (2 days)
2009.11.01 (Sony PSP Go) - 28.275 (1 day)
2009.11.21 (Nintendo DSi LL) - 103.524 (2 days)
2011.02.26 (Nintendo 3DS) - 371.326 (2 days)
2011.12.17 (Sony PSVita) - 321.407 (2 days)
2012.07.28 (Nintendo 3DS LL) - 193.441 (2 days)

Gradivus

Didn't expect the 3DSXL to end up that high. Mario is doing good for 2 days (that and we don't have the info on the digital sales yet).

They didn't made a mistake going as powerful as they did.
They did a mistake when they choosed to use these memory card, instead of using SD card or even their memory sticks. They did a mistake when they didn't found a good way to allow backward compatibility for UMD owners. They did a mistake when they didn't announced strong 1st party support or didn't got Capcom to put a Monster Hunter Portable 3rdHD/ or 3rdG for Vita, even with moneyhatting.
Sony is trying this time to not lose money on Vita, and I think they're not losing anything, but instead, they are losing a lot of handheld market shares.

Cipherr

Man, 3DS sales-age will be a hilarious mess until we get a confirmation of whether or not digital retail sales are tracked or not.

I have to admit I hate that part of it. There's gonna be a lot of "Yeah but it probably sold X in digital copies" stuff for years to come. I wish sales age would just pretend digital didn't exist unless we got hard numbers for them, but thats a pretty unreasonable expectation. Still though, would be nice to not have every discussion about an under performing title predictably derailed with the 'b...b.b.bbut digital sales' scapegoat.

Even in the case of this Mario game, Ill bet we see a lot of digital talk before we even find out of the hard copies had a high sellthrough or not.

Ryoku

I don't think they did. It's a great piece of hardware. They made mistakes in all the right places, though, with games being the number one issue.

Oni Training is out now as well correct? Wonder why they didn't post sales numbers for it? 3DS LL and NSMB2 doing the damage.

I really don't see what Sony can do at this point to get back into this handheld race. The 3DS was sprinting before and Nintendo just gave it fucking rocket boots to soar ahead.

disco

I hope Nintendo release all sales in a frank and straightforward manner in a Nintendo Direct for fans to discuss and digest as apposed to say just Nikkei or the press or 3rd parties.

mclem

Did you feel the same about the Neo Geo failing to set the world alight?

I hope Nintendo release all sales in a frank and straightforward manner in a Nintendo Direct for fans to discuss and digest as apposed to say just Nikkei or the press or 3rd parties.

No way they will use Nintendo Direct to deliver these numbers. And neither should they. I doubt most fans are particularly interested in sales.

Gradivus

No way they will use Nintendo Direct to deliver these numbers. And neither should they. I doubt most fans are particularly interested in sales.

If they were to do so, the most information that we would get out of it would be on the lines of "this sold a lot".

Oni Training is out now as well correct? Wonder why they didn't post sales numbers for it? 3DS LL and NSMB2 doing the damage.

I really don't see what Sony can do at this point to get back into this handheld race. The 3DS was sprinting before and Nintendo just gave it fucking rocket boots to soar ahead.

Oni Training wasn't doing as much damage as the two mentioned, so I guess that could be the reason. We'll find out tomorrow anyway.

Rich!

For 23 years now, the most underpowered/cheapest dedicated gaming handheld has always been the best selling without exception. I don't see that changing any time soon.

liger05

Nintendo since the vita release have been ultra aggressive and have basically made sure the Vita will not be able to gain any traction in Japan.

test_account

XP-39C²

I wouldnt say that the 3DS have many pick up and play games either. Looking at the 1st party games, they are pretty much all game experiences that excist on consoles as well. When i think of pick up and play games, i think more of things like solitaire and smaller Flash-like games. At least i dont see the big difference of playing a few races in Mario Kart VS Wipeout, or playing a few levels in Super Mario Bros compared to playing a chapter in Uncharted. But both handheld offers sleep mode, so playing in short bursts shouldnt be a problem regardless of how the games are designed :)

I'd say it comes down to the games selection itself, what people are interested in playing.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Nintendo since the vita release have been ultra aggressive and have basically made sure the Vita will not be able to gain any traction in Japan.

Nintendo has been ultra aggressive (in Japan) after failing to meet sales targets, unless Vita launched last Summer.

Famitsu handheld openings

1989.04.21 (Nintendo GameBoy) - unknown (3 days)
1990.10.06 (Sega GameGear) - unknown (2 days)
1995.07.21 (Nintendo VirtualBoy) - unknown (3 days)
1996.07.21 (Nintendo GameBoyPocket) - unknown (1 day)
1998.04.14 (Nintendo GameBoyLight) - unknown (6 days)
1998.10.21 (Nintendo GameBoyColor) - 155.774 (5 days)
1998.10.28 (SNK NeoGeoPocket) - 21.471 (5 days)
1999.03.04 (Bandai WonderSwan) - 102.655 (4 days)
1999.03.19 (SNK NeoGeoPocketColor) - 18.809 (3 days)
2000.12.09 (Bandai WonderSwanColor) - 145.975 (2 days)
2001.03.21 (Nintendo GameBoyAdvance) - 611.504 (5 days)
2002.07.12 (Bandai SwanCrystal) - 30.692 (3 days)
2003.02.14 (Nintendo GameBoyAdvance SP) - 117.859 (3 days)
2004.12.02 (Nintendo DS) - 441.485 (4 days)
2004.12.12 (Sony PSP-1000) - 166.074 (1 day)
2005.09.13 (Nintendo GameBoyMicro) - 148.117 (6 days)
2006.03.02 (Nintendo DS Lite) - 67.653 (4 days)
2007.09.20 (Sony PSP-2000) - 263.538 (4 days)
2008.10.16 (Sony PSP-3000) - 155.720 (4 days)
2008.11.01 (Nintendo DSi) - 170.779 (2 days)
2009.11.01 (Sony PSP Go) - 28.275 (1 day)
2009.11.21 (Nintendo DSi LL) - 103.524 (2 days)
2011.02.26 (Nintendo 3DS) - 371.326 (2 days)
2011.12.17 (Sony PSVita) - 321.407 (2 days)
2012.07.28 (Nintendo 3DS LL) - 193.441 (2 days)
So the 2nd highest selling handheld revision, and the 6th highest overall. Very nice.

It probably opened low, which is understandable.

We could call it a real proof of how succesfull PSP was in eyes of Nintendo :)

Sometimes I wonder if your posts are serious. And handhelds have never been about tech, so I don't see why anyone would get angry about this. OH NO SOMETHING IS SELLING THAT ISN"T THE HIGHEST TECH AVAIALBLE!!! So?

Anyway it should be interesting to see NSMB2's legs.

Well at least you admit it so we don't have to take you seriously anymore.

Bgamer90

Banned
They didn't made a mistake going as powerful as they did.
They did a mistake when they choosed to use these memory card, instead of using SD card or even their memory sticks. They did a mistake when they didn't found a good way to allow backward compatibility for UMD owners. They did a mistake when they didn't announced strong 1st party support or didn't got Capcom to put a Monster Hunter Portable 3rdHD/ or 3rdG for Vita, even with moneyhatting.
Sony is trying this time to not lose money on Vita, and I think they're not losing anything, but instead, they are losing a lot of handheld market shares.

They also made a mistake by focusing so much on console like experiences on the go. Most people who buy portable gaming systems don't want that. They just want games that are good on the go... pick up and play. There are games for the 3DS that can be found on consoles but many of the games that fit that category that are also popular (the ones that Nintendo heavily advertise) are games that are pick up and play (like Mario and Mario Kart). Sony shows off games that require at least 20-30 minutes to get into and progress in and/or games that are just better to play at home on the couch on a bigger screen.

I thought Sony would learn from their mistakes with the PSP but they haven't at all. They just don't get it when it comes to the portable gaming market.

GCX

The Japanese 3DS release schedule has been incredibly good starting from last November and continuing at least until next Spring (Monster Hunter 4) and probably beyond that. There's been big hits and smaller titles coming out each month keeping the hw sales high and steady.

The Japanese 3DS release schedule has been incredibly good starting from last November and continuing at least until next Spring (Monster Hunter 4) and probably beyond that. There's been big hits and smaller titles coming out steadily each month.

Contrast this with the west where Nintendo looks like they are barely trying.

test_account

XP-39C²
Sometimes I wonder if your posts are serious. And handhelds have never been about tech, so I don't see why anyone would get angry about this. OH NO SOMETHING IS SELLING THAT ISN"T THE HIGHEST TECH AVAIALBLE!!! So?
I dont see what was wrong with what he said? He just said that PSP is a proof that Nintendo saw the Vita to potentially be a big competitior. I think there is some reality to this, especially when the Vita was priced exactly the same as the 3DS.

I dont see what was wrong with what he said? He just said that PSP is a proof that Nintendo saw the Vita to potentially be a big competitior. I think there is some reality to this, especially when the Vita was priced exactly the same as the 3DS.

Oh no I was mainly going off one of his posts in a MC thread where he called 3DS software sales terrible. ANd Nintendo was aggressive because they had their own internal shipment they were failing to meet. They had all these games coming to their system long before Vita's price was even announced so Vita barely played a factor if it did.

Minsc

Gold Member
It's good to have 720p screen for web browsing etc on a handheld. It's useless for gaming, worse, it's wasting a lot of ressources.

I'll just leave this here, and not side track the debate further than that... as there's pretty much no more discussion about the disadvantages to not having higher resolutions left after that anyway, imo. :)

Cipherr

I thought Sony would learn from their mistakes with the PSP but they haven't at all. They just don't get it when it comes to the portable gaming market.

All in all, PSP was a successful handheld. The dizzying heights of the DS in comparison sometimes blot out this fact, but its absolutely true. Overall the PSP hardware wise at least did pretty damn good. Software wise it wasnt so hot outside of Japan, but it held its own, especially for a 1st try at a handheld while going against Nintendo in an arena they have owned for decades.

So honestly Im not to sure whether or not Sony would have felt that had much of anything to 'learn' from PSP at all, other than the fact that there's room for more than one successful handheld in the market.

I'll just leave this here, and not side track the debate further than that... as there's pretty much no more discussion about the disadvantages to not having higher resolutions left after that anyway, imo. :)

Holy SHIT that is incredible. Its hard to believe its the same source. Almost like tons of little details were added, but it was really wasnt. Incredible.

Right because Nintendo probably doesn't care at all that PSP stolen huge part of market share in Japan in last few years.

And I don't care about previous years - I don't want to be forced to choose beetween overpriced underperforming Nintendo handhelds with software sold for full prices 4 years after release and shitty smartphone games in the future.

3DS has japan by balls; though in the rest of the world they should be much closer

The gap in the west is much more narrow, but the 3DS is still much more healthy even in the west. In America, 3DS is doing ~1.5-2x vita each month. Same goes for the UK. In other European countries, the gap between the 3DS and vita is wider.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I'll just leave this here, and not side track the debate further than that... as there's pretty much no more discussion about the advantage to higher resolutions after this anyway, imo. :)

True, but the effect is way smaller on smaller screen.

Top Bottom