• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan ranks their favorite male characters from the Final Fantasy series

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Actually surprised in seeing Noel up there!

http://www.novacrystallis.com/?p=3887

The official Final Fantasy forums recently held a vote to determine the top male characters among users.

The results are in, with the top five having been through a rollercoaster race to the finish. Early on Zack and Cloud fought head to head, but Zack’s lead widened in the second half. At one point Cloud ran the risk of being outpaced by Zidane, who eventually passed both Tidus and Squall. After a fierce battle, the top five had finally assembled.

Beyond that are the remainder of the characters counted with a total of 73 names that made the cut. Those with duplicate rankings held the same amount of votes, and are thus counted as a tied ranking.

The next poll will focus on the female characters of Final Fantasy. Read on for the results of the male character assessment.

1. Zack (FFVII)
2. Cloud (FFVII)
3. Zidane (FFIX)
4. Tidus (FFX)
5. Squall (FFVIII)
6. Bartz (FFV)
7. Kain (FFIV)
8. Sephiroth (FFVII)
9. Cecil (FFIV)
10. Vincent (FFVII)
11. Noel (FFXIII-2)
12. Reno (FFVII)
13. Edgar (FFVI)
13. Lock (FFVI)
15. Balthier (FFXII)
15. Laguna (FFVIII)
17. Auron (FFX)
17. Hope (FFXIII)
19. Noctis (FF Versus XIII)
19. Reeve (FFVII)
21. Edge (FFIV)
21. Kuja (FFIX)
23. Irvine (FFVIII)
23. Gilbart (FFIV)
25. Vaan (FFXII)
25. Onion Knight (FFIII)
25. Galuf (FFV)
25. Golbez (FFIV)
25. Zell (FFVIII)
25. Vivi (FFIX)
25. Mash (Sabin) (FFVI)
32. Warrior of Light (FF)
32. Ace (FF Type-0)
32. Kurasame (FF Type-0)
32. Sazh (FFXIII)
32. Cid (Entire Series)
32. Steiner (FFIX)
32. Firion (FFII)
32. Ming-Wu (FFII)
32. Rufus Shinra (FFVII)

iavi

I didn't at all expect Zack to be #1. Nice to see that he is though. Also, Balthier is nutty low on that list.

Lock is more popular than Laguna?

Way to drop the ball in Dissidia Duodecim.

Glad Ming-Wu and Golbez made the list though.

Those be my boyz.

Well this list couldn't be more different from mine if it tried.

Lol how is Noctis included? They don't even know his character.
Yeah, that immediately caught my attention too. I guess that says something about this fanbase, or at the very least these voters.

Curious to see if the Versus lady does as well too, and if it massively overrepresents FF7 too.

sphinx

the piano man
bah, I would never vote Cloud over Squall, Hell, even Tidus should be above Cloud.

and Noctis, XD heheheh.

Holy Shit, Firion is damn low, I guess the Dissidia games didn't make him any more popular.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Next poll will be about females characters. I'm very curious to see if Lightning still retain the top spot like few years ago on that same list.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Yeah, that immediately caught my attention too. I guess that says something about this fanbase, or at the very least these voters.
He was revealed half a decade ago. A lot of people are looking forward to Versus, it's not really a surprise. He should have been higher on the list :p

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Next poll will be about females characters. I'm very curious to see if Lightning still retainretai the top spot like few years ago on that same list.

Currently most of the votes are going to Yuna, Aerith, Tifa, Celes, Rinoa and Lightning.

dc89

Noctis :lol

Those people are going to be devestated when they realise Versus is just vapour ware. At least Noctis can win IGN's 'most loved characters that never existed' list.

sphinx

the piano man
as for main villians, Sephiroth, Kuja and Goblez made it to the list but no Kefka... I thought he was popular??

(or am I missing something here?)

mollipen

There are way, way too many characters above Balthier that do not deserve to be above Balthier.

Currently most of the votes are going to Yuna, Aerith, Tifa, Celes, Rinoa and Lightning.

I'll forever have a soft spot for Celes, so I'm glad to see she's getting some appreciation.

Cheska

I actually.....agree with most of this list. Zack has always ranked high in my book, and although I strongly believe Balthier should be higher I'm still pretty happy with the rest of the choices and the order in which they placed.

sphinx

the piano man
I think he's more popular in America.

I think we once had a thread here in neogaf to determine the meanest, most vicious villian and Kefka was top 2 if I remember correctly.

If the character left such an impression in gamers here, one would think it'd at least appear in this list somewhere, but Japan clearly doesn't care, I thought it was interesting.

KePoW

Banned
Balthier #1

And I will laugh so hard if Yuna is voted high, she is one of the worst FF female characters ever, particularly in FFX. She's only slightly bearable in FFX-2

Nooo! Why is Tidus so high?

List is pretty much what I'd expect. Heavily leaning towards FFVII-X

Balthier deserved more

Glad to see Snow didn't make it :lol

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Balthier seems interesting not because he by himself is interesting but more because he is in a game where everybody else are just awfully drab/boring by comparison :p

That no. 15 position is perfect for him, IMO.

That's a list alright.

So many of my favorite are missing. I wish they'd do these kind of polls in North America more, it's always interesting to see how different regions rank characters. Also, why combine all the Cids? They are all very different people.

antitrop

What the hell is Noctis even doing on there in the first place, let alone in the top 20?

Are they fucking with us? Or are they just trying to be awkward PR hype machines for a game that, as far as I'm concerned, isn't even real?

pants

I disagree strongly with this list therefor I will now dub it to a poolist.

Was Vivi a guy? (I seem to recall a scene where him and Zidane are being dudes and just pee-ing in the grass, is this right?)

Teknoman

How the hell is Rufus last?

Rufus-shinra-ff7.jpg

At least Cecil is in the top 10.

Top Bottom