• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan ranks their favorite male characters from the Final Fantasy series

Globox_82

Banned
Ahaha even Japan didn't like Vaan and they prefer Balthier who was a superior character. Seriously what a worthless character Vaan was.

How old is Vaan in the game? I played 10 hours of that game, and can't remember anything. If i am correct Vaan is that little tanned/blond/I have a face that reminds of a rabbit kid

EDIT: yes that him, found this on google.
2006-11-14-level99_076.jpg

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Despite VIII being my least favourite, Laguna is my fave character in the series, so glad to see him in the top 20.
Zidane at 3 is great, but what the he'll is Noctis doing above Vivi? Tut tut tut Japan.

Loona

No XI characters there, Zeid remains unkown to the world :(
Well, it should do better in the female poll, the XI team loves its mission girls...

Glad to at least see Mash/Sabin mentioned, and Bartz at 6th might help the chances of a V remake.

Mael

Seriously Layle is a super hero and he knows what's up, none of these crybabies who pass themselves as heroes while wetting themselves over nothing.

Go_Ly_Dow

Noctis in the top 20, without even being in a game?

Noctis/Versus avatarGAF vindicated!

This is the first sign that our belief shall be rewarded!

Esura

Banned
List isn't too bad besides Noctis even placing on the list. I really want to see the female character list more though.

Mostly because they retconed newgen Cloud to be Squall, while his original FF7 persona was very akin to Zack.

That's kind of a horrible misconception about Cloud. He hasn't been retconned to be Squall.

ffdgh

I'm totally ok with zack being 1st. Great personality...and that kingdom hearts bbs cameo probably helped too.

I guess the fans dislike the new mopey cloud.

Snow is not on there. If there was nothing else worthwhile about that list, this alone would please me. But hey! Nice to see Zidane so far up the ranks. He was such a breath of fresh air after Cloud/Squall back in the day.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Currently most of the votes are going to Yuna, Aerith, Tifa, Celes, Rinoa and Lightning.

I have a feeling Yuna will win the list. If not it might be Aerith.

I'll lol if Lightning was 1st.

Go_Ly_Dow

Zack and Zidane made the top 3 so I'm satisfied with the results.

Expecting Yuna to win the girls poll, but wouldn't be surprised if Lightning wins. Toriyama will do crazy things for his waifu...

CiSTM

Banned
Who was Zack? The black guy? Cid Highwind was best character in FF7 and probably my all time favorite in the series.
edit. Barrett was the black guy. Didn't even remember Zack. I guess I need to play FF7 again.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Japan doesn't like Terra?

I don't expect Terra to be on the top 5. FF boomed after VII and the characters from FFI-FFVI were overshadowed.

I'm totally ok with zack being 1st. Great personality...and that kingdom hearts bbs cameo probably helped too.

I guess the fans dislike the new mopey cloud.
My only exposure to FFVII has been the original, played back in 2007 for the first time when I was 22. I haven't seen the "movie" or played any of the spinoffs.

Cloud Strife was a pathetic, self-pitying narcissistic prick who deserved nothing less than to spend the rest of his life in that wheelchair. Barrett was a better lead and both Tifa and Aeris were too good for him. Not to mention Yuffie, who was clearly the best female character.

Also, Tidus, really? Really?

I never finished FFX. Did he somehow redeem his whiny arse after you get through the Al Bhed home?

DSix

Banned
That's kind of a horrible misconception about Cloud. He hasn't been retconned to be Squall.

You could say it make sense within the contexts of CC and AC, but even in Dissidia they put him in this state of constant emo brooding. It doesn't give him a very good public image compared to how we knew him.

ULTROS!

I would figure that but she mentioned Celes probably get a lot of votes.

If I had to predict the top 10 women, it'd be Yuna, Aerith, Tifa, Lightning, Yuffie, Garnet, Selphie, Celes, Rosa, and Rikku.

I find it utterly hilarious the hate that vaan gets. Is Xll the only FF you've played? Or any RPGs for that matter? There are characters infinitely worse than he is by a landslide...like pretty much EVERYONE in FFVlll

ULTROS!

The majority of Final Fantasy fans in Japan will have played Crisis Core, and he's absolutely fantastic in it. A very balanced, very likeable, very well-fleshed out character.

I agree that he's likeable. The game though feels kinda fansevicey
I didn't like the Genesis x Sephiroth x Angeal battle in Junon, it's too... Fanservicey

There are piles of male characters in FFXI that are better than the whole list alone yet none are represented. >_>

Also I agree Layle from Crystal Bearers was awesome.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Who was Zack? The black guy? Cid Highwind was best character in FF7 and probably my all time favorite in the series.
edit. Barrett was the black guy. Didn't even remember Zack. I guess I need to play FF7 again.

Zack is the main character of crisis core final fantasy vii for psp and i'm really glad and surprised for his victory.
crisis_core_final_fantasy-605V.jpg

Taruranto

Noctis in the top 20, without even being in a game?

Noctis/Versus avatarGAF vindicated!

This is the first sign that our belief shall be rewarded!

Versus fanbase is setting up to become the worst fanbase Square-Enix has. Yes, even worse than KH fanbase.

Neff

I find it utterly hilarious the hate that vaan gets. Is Xll the only FF you've played? Or any RPGs for that matter? There are characters infinitely worse than he is by a landslide...like pretty much EVERYONE in FFVlll

I don't mind Vaan, but I think most people dislike him because he so prominently bookends the game's story, despite never doing anything particularly clever, cool, brave, or interesting. He's basically a pretty nonentity who rather outstays his welcome, and even the rest of the cast sans Penelo consider him beneath them. But yeah, he doesn't deserve the hate.

Bladenic

I love Zack and Zidane in top 3, and I actually really like Noel. However, no Basch at all is sickening. Hope's a tad too high too.

Top Bottom