• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan ranks their favorite male characters from the Final Fantasy series

Esura

Banned
You could say it make sense within the contexts of CC and AC, but even in Dissidia they put him in this state of constant emo brooding. It doesn't give him a very good public image compared to how we knew him.

I don't remember Cloud brooding in Dissidia. He was pretty no nonsense in that.

If I had to predict the top 10 women, it'd be Yuna, Aerith, Tifa, Lightning, Yuffie, Garnet, Selphie, Celes, Rosa, and Rikku.

Rosa? Over Terra?

EDarkness

*checks for Layle*

... I didn't expect to see him on there anyway. >>

*is one of five people who love that game*

Layle got robbed by getting a crappy game. I hope somewhere in the Square building they give him a real game that we all can get into. A great character wasted....

Do not Understand the love for hope, but at least Noel is higher than him, which means Japan has some taste.

Dammit Noctis your game isn't even out.

I am okay with Zack being number one.

Galuf should be higher. :x

Acidote

Why isn't Auron higher? Balthier? What about Basch? Why isn't him even there?
How come is Rufus the last one? Kefka?

/leaves disappointed.

No Cyan...No Cyan? How?

And you can't just group all the Cids into one big Omnicid. It doesn't work like that. You can't roll a grey old airship researcher, grizzly mountain-man engineer, chain-smoking lancer, fat bureaucrat etc all into one entry.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Doesn't it say something about the average writing of a Final Fantasy if a dude can be on the list just because he's wearing a suit and looks moody?

Edgar and Locke at 13?

Setzer nowhere on the list?

CYAN!?

What's wrong with this list?

ITT: We discover that Japan does not like FFVI.

I hold the position that this ranking is based on fashion and not actual character cause something must be getting lost in translation for Titus to be on this list. Hopefully though people are right in saying this is trying to send a message to Square Enix, Zack might be your generic good guy, but he's miles better than anything they've created in the past 12 years.

Doesn't it say something about the average writing of a Final Fantasy if a dude can be on the list just because he's wearing a suit and looks moody?

Yeah, it says a lot.

He's very likely on the list because fans are trying to send a message to Square. As Kagari pointed out earlier, this poll was based on write in votes. So, it wouldn't be surprising at all if part of the community made a specific effort to get Noctis on the list.

He's very likely on the list because fans are trying to send a message to Square. As Kagari pointed out earlier, this poll was based on write in votes. So, it wouldn't be surprising at all if part of the community made a specific effort to get Noctis on the list.

I can't blame them.

I certainly would fucking like to get to know the characters of Versus.

Pejo

Gold Member
Definitely needs more Jecht. I still feel FFX-3 should have been made, and it should have let you play the story of Jecht and Auron etc. I'm happy Zack beat Cloud though. After playing Crisis Core, I had a newfound respect for him.

Still, you can definitely see the cultural differences with Japan liking some of the more effeminate characters. Interesting list.

red13th

Hope is on the list so it autofails. I'm okay with Zach being 1st, though.
My top5 would be something like Jecht, Cid Highwind, Basch, Sabin and Raijin, so, yeah different tastes.

You know, it would be interesting to see a gender ratio on this thing.

I heard that FF is basically considered a series for women in Japan, is that true?

Mario007

Next poll will be about females characters. I'm very curious to see if Lightning still retain the top spot like few years ago on that same list.
Definitely not. If I remember correctly that poll was done before or just a while after FFXIII was released so her being included was similar to Noctis being included now. I'd say Yuna has the female characters number 1 spot in the bag.

kinggroin

Banned
Lock that far down? Behind all those pussies?

I wonder what the results of a pole like this would look like in the United States.

Where is Sabin?!

Definitely not. If I remember correctly that poll was done before or just a while after FFXIII was released so her being included was similar to Noctis being included now. I'd say Yuna has the female characters number 1 spot in the bag.

I dunno man, there has to be a reason they keep putting her on the cover.

We'll see just how popular she really is.

Goldenhen

Whaaat!

Vivi is ranked same as Vaan.

For me Vivi is far more memorable than Vaan.

I can't wait to see the female list of FF.

I didn't realize that "The official Final Fantasy forums" was considered Japan.

Hey guys, next time gameFAQS or IGN have a poll, make sure you contribute it to AMERICA!

kinggroin

Banned
My only exposure to FFVII has been the original, played back in 2007 for the first time when I was 22. I haven't seen the "movie" or played any of the spinoffs.

Cloud Strife was a pathetic, self-pitying narcissistic prick who deserved nothing less than to spend the rest of his life in that wheelchair. Barrett was a better lead and both Tifa and Aeris were too good for him. Not to mention Yuffie, who was clearly the best female character.

Also, Tidus, really? Really?

I never finished FFX. Did he somehow redeem his whiny arse after you get through the Al Bhed home?

someone give this man a medal

Top Bottom