• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan ranks their favorite male characters from the Final Fantasy series

Ninjimbo

I've never played VII or VIII so I don't care too much about the top spots. I'm glad to see Tidus and Zidane that high. Great characters. Noel's spot is surprising but welcome. Edgar should be in the top ten. He's pretty much the coolest king in all of gaming.

Mael

People can't handle how cool he is

Baggiest fucking shorts I've ever seen

The BS spewing brat that couldn't fucking stay in an unexcited mood?
If there's one character I'd wish that would die in a game, I guess he'd take top spot, along with Hope I guess.

Seda

Zack being #1 is cool with me. I also liked Tidus. Cloud and Squall.....ugh (KH Squall is indeed muc better).

Balthier deserves to be higher :/

For the female list, Yuna is probably my favorite.

For me, Squall and Sephiroth would be top 3 (I have played 6-10). Sephiroth is widely regarded as one of gaming's greatest antagonists - I agree. Squall was a most compelling character and had more depth than Cloud, in my opinion; I find that although some call him irritating, many often fail to consider that he's in his late teens. Also, Lionheart >>>> Omnislash. It's also nice to see Zidane chart highly - there was a real charm about FF9.

Mael

For me, Squall and Sephiroth would be top 3 (I have played 6-10). Sephiroth is widely regarded as one of gaming's greatest antagonists - I agree. Squall was a most compelling character and had more depth than Cloud, in my opinion; I find that although some call him irritating, many often fail to consider that he's in his late teens. Also, Lionheart >>>> Omnislash.

Late teens are not always brooding misantropes acting like aholes, you know...
For reference Vaan is way more palatable as a character and he's 17 by the time FFXII happen.

And while we're at it, FFVIII is the worst excuse of a love story I've seen this side of reality tv shows, it's terrible, it's in your face and we never learn why we should even care.
I don't think I known of any game from Square/Enix/Square-Enix that botched the love to this extent.

Late teens are not always brooding misantropes acting like aholes you know...
For reference Vaan is way more palatable as a character and he's 17 by the time FFXII happen.

Also Zidane, who is 16-17 in FFIX.

Yeah yeah, Squall had abandonment issues are whatever(haha get it), but I really didn't care.

Mael

Also Zidane, who is 16-17 in FFIX.

Yeah yeah, Squall had abandonment issues are whatever(haha get it), but I really didn't care.

And let's take all the late teens we have at glance :
Squall
Zidane
Tidus
Vaan

Squall was abandonned as kid and raised in an orphanage,
Zidane is pretty special and his only family are either murderous aholes or lifeless dolls
Tidus is a dream but has daddy issues and is NOT a brooding emo after all despite being a crybaby
Vaan lost his parents, his only family killed in a war and is basically a street urchin.
Yeah excuse me if I'm not that sympathetic to a character who have no problems compared to every other protag, can't do shit on his own and manage to have a love story Stephanie Meyer would think is a little badly made.

PK Gaming

Cloud at #2?
Zidane at #3?
Bartz at #6?
Noel at #10
Sazh breaking into the list?

This is a surprisingly good list. I can stand seeing Squall and Tidus with high rankings because its par for the course, but i'm pleasantly surprised at Bartz & Zidane that high up. Sazh and Noel getting their due share was great too.

MechaX

Well.. I'm surprised that Zack is on top. I liked Zack.

Such a shame about Balthier being mid-range.

Although, Hope being higher than Sazh elicited a genuine Psyduck moment from me.

Late teens are not always brooding misantropes acting like aholes you know...

And while we're at it, FFVIII is the worst excuse of a love story I've seen this side of reality tv shows, it's terrible, it's in your face and we never learn why we should even care.
I don't think I known of any game from Square/Enix/Square-Enix that botched the love to this extent.

Errrm... There's no need for the hostile tone. I never said they were? In fact, in the same game, I wouldn't say that Zell was, or Zidane in the one after that. I played and enjoyed it, and it's one of MY favourite entries. Still, it's rather pointless to mention FF12 to me at all, when I stated very clearly that I had played 6-10. It's just MY OPINION, and nothing else.

Mael

Errrm... There's no need for the hostile tone. I never said they were? In fact, in the same game, I wouldn't say that Zell was, or Zidane in the one after that. I played and enjoyed it, and it's one of MY favourite entries. Still, it's rather pointless to mention FF12 to me at all, when I stated very clearly that I had played 6-10. It's just MY OPINION, and nothing else.

Woah, I think a little bit of punctuation was lost, the tone was not hostile at all

Zell was an annoying brat, way worse than anyone but that shitty child with mommy issues called Hope.
I never intended to force my opinion down your throat, you're free to think whatever you want obviously.

Sanctuary

It's cool that Zack beat Cloud. I've always thought he was a much more interesting character anyway. Even Squall was more interesting than Cloud.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

Vaan is palatable mainly because the story is really about Basch and Ashe. Vaan and Penelo could be completely removed with not much impact IMO. I don't know if it was ever confirmed but I think the rumor is that Basch WAS the main character but they decided they needed to add in a relatable young character or something like that so Vaan was born. After actually playing the whole game I tend to think it's a pretty realistic story without knowing if it's the actual truth or not.

I'm stunned at the lack of Kefka. Didn't know he was mostly only popular in the west. Is he, like, a sissy in the Japanese version of FFVI or something?
Kefka's depicted as a mincing, bouncing buffoon in Dissidia. That might be a contributing factor. Dissidia has pretty atrocious characterisation for Terra as well. It just makes it clear that I probably don't want Square to even think about a Final Fantasy 6 remake.

I'm guessing most of this list is based on looks.
That's what I'm assuming.

Mael

Vaan is palatable mainly because the story is really about Basch and Ashe. Vaan and Penelo could be completely removed with not much impact IMO. I don't know if it was ever confirmed but I think the rumor is that Basch WAS the main character but they decided they needed to add in a relatable young character or something like that so Vaan was born. After actually playing the whole game I tend to think it's a pretty realistic story without knowing if it's the actual truth or not.

That's indeed true as far as I know, still Balthier really helps since he spend most of his time smacking the brat around stopping him doing stupid stuffs.
While it dimish Vaan it makes the others stand better and as a result since you're only stuck with Vaan during town sequences it makes the game that much better than freaking emo Squall who is always in your party ruining the party for everyone.

Cidolfas "Thundergod Cid" Orlandu.
24orlandu.gif

This man can end any Final Fantasy threat on his own.

PK Gaming

Yep, hence why I hope to see her at, or near the top when they do the female list.

Sorry. I posted this at 5:30am getting ready for work. I think she's definitely one of the strongest female ff characters.

You and I both know that won't happen :(

I really want her to break top 10 or at least 15.

<3 FFT

EDIT: I just realized, Ramza isn't even on the list. WTF?!?

I've never played VII or VIII so I don't care too much about the top spots. I'm glad to see Tidus and Zidane that high. Great characters. Noel's spot is surprising but welcome. Edgar should be in the top ten. He's pretty much the coolest king in all of gaming.

He is also a pedo.

Bladenic

So there will be a female list for sure? Hope Yuna and Dagger are at the top, they're my favorite. I'm sure Aerith and Tifa will be super high as well. If Lightning gets the top spot though...

So there will be a female list for sure? Hope Yuna and Dagger are at the top, they're my favorite. I'm sure Aerith and Tifa will be super high as well. If Lightning gets the top spot though...

The thing is being done on their official site, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Toth

Glad to see Snow did not make the list and Sazh did. Snow was way too positive and dudebro-ish while Sazh was more interesting.

Snakeyes

Locke, Balthier and especially Sazh too low, Delita MIA. Get your shit together Japan.

But hey, at least Zidane made top 3.

Top Bottom