• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese 2ch users over OneManga closing down: "Serves you right, foreign scum!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, as everybody knows, OneManga is closing down and thats what the japanese from 2ch say about it:

“Won’t they just start another site under a new name?”

“The biggest illegal distributor online, eh? Hurry up and destroy the rest.”

“Teach them the consequences of serious crime!”

“Just deleting them won’t stop it – the data will live on forever. You have to put in place fines and make it a serious crime or you’ll never stamp it out. It’s the same with music and movies.”

“With the major source gone I expect the small ones will die off too.”

“Scanlation won’t disappear, but a billion monthly page views is obviously going too far.”

“The industry has brought this strange situation upon itself by not seeking damages. Being forced to pay damages would have set a precedent and discouraged them from being so brazen.”

“Now get rid of Megauploader – they are busy making money off fansubs!”

“Manga is wasted on foreigners. Those outside Japan should stick to reading manhwa!”

“With a billion page views they must have been rolling in it. Best to sue them.”

“The reason it came to this is probably because this content is only that of the yellow races. They should have sued first like Nintendo. They’ve probably got used to scanlation so it’s no good now.”

“Good move. Now do it more with music and movies too.”

“It’s the fault of those idiot publishers for doing nothing. Whilst Hollywood was busy protecting its copyrights they just let it slide. You reap what you sow.”

“With the strong yen they are probably aiming to curb Japanese copying.”

“The disease has spread too far – the market seems to be collapsing like that of anime. It’ll be layoffs and bankruptcies from here on.”

“They enjoy making scanlations – it’s like a club activity to them.”

“It’s like that for fansubs too, but they’re all saying they are helping propagate them. Even the guys writing ero-doujinshi don’t think like that.”

“If you don’t release simultaneously with the Japanese release they will pirate them. They are that committed.”

“They get them even faster than the Japanese regions do. It’s too much…”

“What a bunch of crooks. They make a fortune off donations and advertising revenue. They pretend they are creators and heroes. I want to watch Hollywood movies and American dramas at the same time as their US release. Of course, for free.”

“Overseas manga is ridiculously expensive, so that’s probably behind One Manga’s popularity. However you look at it, ¥2,000 for a single volume is way too much.”

“If the prices drop they’ll just start using censorship as an excuse instead.”

“They wouldn’t buy even if it were cheap. Their anime is far cheaper than in Japan and they still won’t buy.”

Sankaku Complex' user answer:

"Merchandise in the US? The only anime figure shops I know of import their stuff directly from Japan. I cant think of a single anime figure with packaging aimed at the west or something. Anyway, I dont see how it has to do with pirating since its very hard and unusual to pirate things like figures.

I just wish Japanese creators didnt hate the west so much. I dont understand why they do and why many refuse to bring stuff over here. Well, if they wont bring it out here, we just have to pirate it, its just how it is."

"Impossible to ever take anything they fucking say seriously, all I ever imagine is one of those hilariously creepy looking otaku. Pitch black room, the dim glow from his monitor highlighting the sweat worked up from a hard day's net surfin'... you get the picture."

"did they honestly forget that they get anime for free over there? and that not everyone who watches it buys it either?"

"2ch is exactly like 4chan, they are both full of idiots. Only complete scum acts and carries on like they do."

2ch in return:

“You lot are always begging ‘give us the zip! give us the zip!’ – why is it now you suddenly start acting like you’re normal?”

“Oh come on, this is a fantastic business chance for publishers. If they don’t go for commercial digital distribution now they really are finished.”

“In America the censorship regime makes them change cigarettes into candy! How many mangaka and publishers are there interested in making that level of change!?”

“I was reading the latest Naruto in the convenience store – are the foreigners jealous of me? Forgive me, Sasuke…”

“‘We want to buy but we can’t! We’re making manga popular the world over!’ Die.”

“Just buy it and read you dirty misers!”

“Do these people feel any sense of guilt over what they’re doing to creators?”

“Serves you right, foreigners! It makes no sense at all for these manga to be available on the net in English first. Stop enjoying them before us Japanese even get them!”

“You guys sound pretty intellectual translated into English, don’t you now?”

“‘Ha Ha Ha – Serves you right!’ – someone translate this and tell it to them.”

“Pirates really do think the same the world over.”

“Impudent thieves.”

“‘Foreigner 1: Do all Japanese hate foreigners? Or is it just a minority? Or just 2ch?
Foreigner 2: Japs hate us all. Even the babies!
Foreigner 3: 2ch is how the majority of Japs think. They are polite in front of others, but behind your back they are secretly insulting you. Japs are xenophobes!’

Pretty amazing that they go this far to dress themselves up as victims.”

“It seems people on the Internet always develop these persecution complexes – whatever the country.”

“‘Foreigner 4: 2ch is not representative of all Japanese! I like Japan.
Foreigner 5: Sorry. I like Japan too. The Japanese are just angry that we’re ripping them off.
Foreigner 6: 2ch is the scum of Japan.’

The guys who understand really do understand!”

“Foreigner 6 – you are a genius.”

“‘Those Jump buyers are complete tools for waiting – hurry up and give us the zip!’

‘I don’t want to buy Jump just for One Piece. I’m glad they get uploaded at the same time as its release. I can keep up with what’s happening in this thread too.’

‘In this damn heat I don’t want to go out and read Jump – hurry up with the zip!’

‘It may only be $2 but it’s a nuisance once you’ve read it. Why won’t they just sell us One Piece without the rest?’

This is from 2ch’s Shonen Jump board.”

“Maybe this thread will be translated and become an article over there? Are you reading foreigners? If you want to read manga, be sure to learn Japanese!”

“With the market for digital manga coming up, these illegal sites are no good any more. Rawpara made $30,000, how much were those guys making…”

“Read your own country’s comics, bastards.”

“It’s a real mystery to me why these damn foreigners can’t get over the fact that you can’t just be reading all this stuff for free on a website.”

“Manga overseas costs $10 a volume though – way too much.”

“But American comics cost a fortune in Japan too…”

“It really is expensive over there. In spite of the fact the paper is shoddy rubbish…”

“Even the guys reading manga are always going on about JAP this and JAP that. Just liking manga doesn’t mean you like Japanese, I see. Japanese are really despised aren’t they?”

“Foreigners are just greedy swine by nature – that’s why they think manga is free.”

“I looked at the responses of the Sankaku inhabitants (not that I’m lumping them together with all foreigners) – pretty amazing.

It’s expensive, 99% of manga is crap, it’s translated because Japanese are uploading it, because they ripped off western culture – their excuses were all on that level. The worst ones are the ones going on about racism or xenophobia though.”

“You hairy foreigners should shut up and wait for your own great mangaka.”

“Compared to Japan and its complete absence of a digital publication market, isn’t consciousness about this much higher over there? Amazon have Kindle and stuff…”

“There are already all kinds of pirated manga on the American Kindle. They’re a real pack of thieves.”

“If all manga fans the world over start thinking manga=free, the manga industry is finished.”

“Even in Japan a lot of young people think that, about games and music too. I hope they really crack down on these sites.”

“Why do these foreigners act so high and mighty when they are reading for free?”

“This reminds me of that damn Rapelay fiasco.”

“Thanks to that we got worked over. Seriously, die you filthy foreign scum.”

“1. Foreigners pirate our manga and develop a taste for it.

2. Foreign big-wigs say ‘This content is violent! Ban it, Japan!’

This is a real problem. If publishers adapt their publications to foreign markets then OK, but just translating the original and spreading it amongst foreigners is a problem!

Do you understand this you dirty foreign scum?”

“Don’t those white pigs comprehend the concept of a thief being ashamed of being caught?”

“Blaming the victims of your own crimes, shifting responsibility to anyone else but you, justifying your own criminality. Total scum, every last one of them.”

And Sankaku Complex users again:

"I imagine these particular Japanese have nothing better to do than to guard their homes and complain about something stupid? This is all stupid, really.

Japan, just save me a trophy wife virgin for when I arrive, okay? I'm not here to steal your manga. Some white pigs are, but I prefer cumming in a Japanese girl's mouth and supplying newborns for your country's population deficit."

"I know what you mean, Japaneses are horrible English user, maybe the worst of the worst, if they using Japaneses to translate they game into English it would end up more than pain in the ass reading the texts.

But if they hire some from US or UK it's maybe good(not alway, the guy who translate for berserk is a horrible exam, the Chinese do much more better).

By the way, it's would be a lot of trouble to bring their product outside Japan (think about the transportation cost, task, censorship, law etc...),remember that no sane business man want to lose a potential market."

"Ah Japan. Hyper-xenophobia is like a game over there. Even the cardcarrying Teapartyer racists in Ameriac doesn't have the same level of perverse things to say about foreigners."

"日本人は超自己中だね 外人は大嫌いですか 泣き虫は大嫌いだよI hope this makes it's way on to 2ch, I swear I'm tired of their holier than thou attitude, I don't pirate, I learned japanese for college, and yet the 2ch hate machine trolls and circle jerks, foreigner this foreigner that, Japan has bigger issues that manga that would never be licensed being pirated. 2ch should STFU about foreign pirates because manga sales in japan are dying. The japanese are the master guilt and issue avoidance race."

via 2ch & Sankaku Complex (both NSFW)

And it's just getting better and better.... The meltdowns are somewhat epic :lol !

WillyFive

1288127-needlemouse1.jpg

Anth0ny

Must be nice to have Weekly Jump for ¥250 a pop and standard manga volumes for ¥440 a pop.

(as if it stops me... *glares at 50 $10 volumes of One Piece on shelf*)

“They wouldn’t buy even if it were cheap. Their anime is far cheaper than in Japan and they still won’t buy.

This is so true though. Fuck fansubs (unless it's not available in your area, of course).

"2ch is exactly like 4chan, they are both full of idiots. Only complete scum acts and carries on like they do."

Really Sankaku Complex? Really? This is the same site that had first page updates when screenshots of Lightning's "pantsu" were found on the internet.

evil solrac v3.0 said:
a war between the chans?

Sankaku Complex isn't a chan. And 4chan and 2ch aren't really "at war" so much as 4chan will occasionally troll 2ch, and 2ch will occasionally talk shit about 4chan.

Kusagari

I'd actually say 2chan seems worse than 4chan. Unless I'm missing something, 2chan seems to take themselves way too seriously.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Wait wait wait.

Do they think Megauploader subs the anime them selfs? They do not realize it is just a file storage site?

clav

Sounds like bitter Japanese men who are complaining about white men/foreigners taking their Japanese girls away.

Zoe

This.

Kusagari said:
I'd actually say 2chan seems worse than 4chan. Unless I'm missing something, 2chan seems to take themselves way too seriously.

2ch and 2chan are different things.

7Th

Sankaku Complex only translates troll comments that don't accurately reflect 2ch's "opinion" at all. Nothing to see here.

ryan13ts

Christ. :lol

What these idiots seems to fail to understand is that while they have the convenience of going out and picking up their favorite manga the day it comes out, we have to wait months (and easily years sometimes) for the same thing to be translated into our language and release here officially. I gladly buy volumes of my favorite series when their released here in the US, but at the same time, I don't want to fucking wait two years to find out the next plot development.

And no, scanlation based sites will never die. If publishers are truly concerned about these types of sites, they should get their fucking properties licensed here in the US quicker.

Japan, just save me a trophy wife virgin for when I arrive, okay? I'm not here to steal your manga. Some white pigs are, but I prefer cumming in a Japanese girl's mouth and supplying newborns for your country's population deficit.

:lol

There are insane people on both sides here.

Gattsu25

Banned
A lot of venom but I can't really disagree with these:
“Overseas manga is ridiculously expensive, so that’s probably behind One Manga’s popularity. However you look at it, ¥2,000 for a single volume is way too much.”

“They wouldn’t buy even if it were cheap. Their anime is far cheaper than in Japan and they still won’t buy.”

Still, that doesn't answer the main question: What the fuck is a OneManga?

I hope the major publishers come together and offer a hulu plus / marvel digital style pay or ad supported service

All the big publishers need to be part of it though - I subscribed to marvel's service for awhile but in the end dropped it because basically it was only half of what I wanted

If Marvel and DC could team up and offer one portal to their stuff I'd jump on that in a heartbeat, same if the big manga guys teamed up

Anth0ny said:
This is so true though. Fuck fansubs (unless it's not available in your area, of course).

It's not cheaper then normal TV though. I like anime and all but if I'm buying TV shows on DVD I'll just buy the much cheaper non-anime shows. I only watch anime on hulu or netflix these days

The industry in America spent way too long pumping out over priced single DVD boxes with like 3-4 episodes on each and now they driven away anyone with a casual interest

Takao

Banned
For merchandise to be considered viable for a property, said property usually needs to be somewhat popular. Companies base popularity on brand awareness, and sales of related physical goods. There's your reason why you don't see Haruhi figures made by a North American company. Most anime and manga in North America usually aren't popular, so most distributors don't go for the merchandise rights, but if that property some how is successful by the time they gain the rights, and push product out, the property usually isn't so hot anymore.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
2ch has bitter people and racist people news at 11

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
If it gets rid of -chan, -kun, nakama, keikaku, yosh, etc by lazy translators who developer an overweening sense of ownership over material they never owned in the first place, I'm all for it.

Jamesfrom818 said:
Maybe someone should tell him thats not how babies are made.

Maybe not where you are from, but who knows how they do things in Japan. I hear they already have the PS4 out there.

Gattsu25

Banned
Geneijin said:
Website that hosts manga.
"Hosts manga" meaning a website that posts manga (that was released in its country of origin for a price) for free, I assume.

In that case, I don't really see the reason why we should be shocked that they deem websites like that to be piracy. I understand that there is an 'unlicensed' grey issue at play but, from their perspective, I can easily see why they deem that as irrelevant.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Freshmaker said:
If it gets rid of -chan, -kun, nakama, keikaku, yosh, etc by lazy translators who developer an overweening sense of ownership over material they never owned in the first place, I'm all for it.

Nakama pisses me off and anyone that doesn't translate it properly doesn't even have a proper concept of Japanese.

It has it's own tvtropes page where if you try to say anything bad about its use they delete it.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Nakama

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom