• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese 2ch users over OneManga closing down: "Serves you right, foreign scum!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Haha. Such a Korean response.

Pimpwerx

If it wasn't free on the internet, I wouldn't have started reading it. Now, I'm pretty certain I'll buy the complete One Piece set, and I'd like to own FMA as well. Manga should have been the first thing to move to a digital format, seeing as it's been scanned since scanners were invented. PEACE.

X26

Banned
2ch wins this "argument" handidly, no contest. The mjority of their comments make perfect sense, while the others justifying it, well, lol

dl scans if you want, whatever, but don't cry when the owners take action and spout dumbass justifications

Question, how do you guys even use 2ch?

I went on the site just out of curiosity once, and I couldn't even figure out what the links went to. Everything looked the same or very similar. :lol :lol

Something wrong with my computer?

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
zoku88 said:
Articles on foreign countries are usually bad. I would, for example, almost never trust an article in the US about Russia or Iran or other potential enemy.

Well, just like how Koreans expect Japanese textbooks to accurate report facts on World War II. I expect American textbooks to accurately report facts on the Philippine-American War, after all, America was involved in it.

Same thing for the Korean War, Vietnam War, etc.

zoku88

Galactic Quail said:

I went on the site just out of curiosity once, and I couldn't even figure out what the links went to. Everything looked the same or very similar. :lol :lol

Well, for navigating foreign language sites in general, using the status bar at the bottom of most browsers is usually pretty useful.
Hcoregamer00 said:
Well, just like how Koreans expect Japanese textbooks to accurate report facts on World War II. I expect American textbooks to accurately report facts on the Philippine-American War, after all, America was involved in it.

Same thing for the Korean War, Vietnam War, etc.
I was talking about news articles. ("article" is not a proper way to refer to a section of a textbook.)

Hcoregamer00

Galactic Quail said:

2ch is only fun when Comiket is around, other than that I avoid the site, so I am not of any help.

zoku88 said:
I was talking about news articles. ("article" is not a proper way to refer to a section of a textbook.)

Oh, I was under the impression that you equated articles to textbooks since that is what my original post was about. My fault

Momo

Banned
ChiTownBuffalo said:
Haha. Such a Korean response.
Meh I have no gripes with the Japanese, in fact I have a lot of Japanese friends. (why does this sound like the black friend defence? :lol ) My gripe is with the chan dwelling assholes and their 19th century mentality.

zoku88

Hcoregamer00 said:
Oh, I was under the impression that you equated articles to textbooks since that is what my original post was about. My fault
Sorry, I was trying to highlight how certain controversies are misrepresented in media. Thus, one should be weary of just relying on them.

It actually wasn't stated as a response to anything you said.

Pein

Banned
I love people that complain when asshole sites like onemanga and mangafox get shut down.
Boohoo I can't read my pirated manga anymore. Then they act like their rights have been violated and they've been doing nothing wrong.

"Impossible to ever take anything they fucking say seriously, all I ever imagine is one of those hilariously creepy looking otaku. Pitch black room, the dim glow from his monitor highlighting the sweat worked up from a hard day's net surfin'... you get the picture."

this actually describes me down to the T! :(

But seriously, it's my understanding that groups like Dattebayo were responsible for creating a Anime and Manga industry in the west, which in turn made more people buy DVDs, watch the films in cinema, and being picked up for American TV distribution due to interest on the net.

So in a way, fansub group like Dattebayo is responsible for some of the succes that a show like Naruto and Bleach has had. Without anyone to sub it, most people would not have heard about it, it would have gotten to the states in much lesser amounts, and probably not have made it for TV.
And people who see/saw the show on Dattebayo, have probably in turn spent money on the net buying importanted mangas, DVDs, blu-rays, figurines, with a lot of it at insane and stupiud price because the market is not competent enough.

I certainly don't talk to young people when it comes to Japanese history or any sort of world or geopolitical view, as you wouldn't really consider the opinion of any young Joe Blow in the West valid without some serious scrutiny. All the old Japanese folks I yarn on with are generally quite open about things and aren't really reflective of the "blinkered, censored, rewritten education system" stereotype.

These comic geeks here seem pissed off, but that's what you get with emotional teens and young twenty-somethings focusing on their hobby as seriously as brain surgery - which it's not.

Hell, some threads on GAF kinda resemble the turgid mess in the OP. It all seems like cherry-picked tabloid nonsense.

Pein

Banned
Vigilant Walrus said:
this actually describes me down to the T! :(

But seriously, it's my understanding that groups like Dattebayo were responsible for creating a Anime and Manga industry in the west, which in turn made more people buy DVDs, watch the films in cinema, and being picked up for American TV distribution due to interest on the net.

So in a way, fansub group like Dattebayo is responsible for some of the succes that a show like Naruto and Bleach has had. Without anyone to sub it, most people would not have heard about it, it would have gotten to the states in much lesser amounts, and probably not have made it for TV.
And people who see/saw the show on Dattebayo, have probably in turn spent money on the net buying importanted mangas, DVDs, blu-rays, figurines, with a lot of it at insane and stupiud price because the market is not competent enough.

You would be wrong.

Coeliacus

Momo said:
As someone of asian descent myself (korean), I want to add a big fuck you to 2chan and the scum that they foster over there. Hell yes pirating manga is an issue (I go out of my damn way to purchase manga when it's available here), however these are a bunch of xenophobic fucktards that never have anything positive to add to the god damn issue.

2ch, you should be lobbying your publishers to release their products in other regions, you know why? cause at the end of the day if they make more money, they have more money to spend on funding manga outside of the god awful shonen genre.

To spite you, I will never again buy any anime series from a studio that does the moe shit you love so much.

fuck you :)
Fuck yeah!
I actually don't really care about the topic at hand, except that the OP is hilarious because translated Japanese trolls sound so dignified, and this post is awesome.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Forkball said:
Finally I can post this picture:

27600.jpg

:lol :lol :lol
What's next, the allies have gundams?

zoku88

HotGarbage said:
2chan pretty much = 4chan

Nothing to see here (unless you get a kick out of trolls)
2chan and 2ch are different...

2ch actually has some pretty good stuff. One of my friends use to browse around in the math boards a lot.

It's more akin to a message board like neogaf than anything else, except that the interface is obviously different. And instead of a gaming and offtopic, and has section for each and every topic.

There is obviously trash on 2ch (just like there is trash here) but you just have to know where to go.

Link1110

You see the same crap in any given piracy thread on GAF, then you go into the real world and see how representative GAF is of Americans on piracy.

Now switch GAF to 2ch and Americans to Japanese people.

And on this whole flame war, here's my summary:
2ch has a thread where they whine about piracy
Some American awebsite translates those comments and flames 2ch
2ch starts making racist comments triolling said American website
American website assumes all of Japan is racist

Seems pretty much normal for the internet.

Replicant

I wish I can say that's not true but the reality is that's really how some Japanese see foreigners. Xenophobia is large and bubbling under the surface of Japan. And the politicians do nothing but encourage it.

You're not going to see this while having a short trip there though. But stay there for 3 months at least and you can start seeing the cracks in your previously picture perfect view of Japan.

Belfast

I don't think piracy is the problem, I think it's all the moe shit you otaku seem to be obsessed with these days. It's not as marketable over here, but it's the wealth of content right now. Pay more attention to the West and we wouldn't have to make so many scanlations.

Replicant said:
I wish I can say that's not true but the reality is that's really how some Japanese see foreigners. Xenophobia is large and bubbling under the surface of Japan. And the politicians do nothing but encourage it.

You're not going to see this while having a short trip there though. But stay there for 3 months at least and you can start seeing the cracks in your previously picture perfect view of Japan.

I'd say that really depends on where you live/stay in Japan. And this blatant stereotyping of xenophobia simmering across Japanese society is no more prevalent than any other country. Ashamedly, a proportion of Australian society seem to think immigrants are the root cause of much of society's ills, but that's not representative of all Australians.

It's a shame the internet snowballs generalisations. I've been living in the ol' Home Islands for a number of years now and have really yet to experience anything greater than the same token nationalistic silliness experienced back home in Oz. That said, I don't really associate with comic or anime geeks, so perhaps I'm missing something.

zoku88

Belfast said:
I don't think piracy is the problem, I think it's all the moe shit you otaku seem to be obsessed with these days. It's not as marketable over here, but it's the wealth of content right now. Pay more attention to the West and we wouldn't have to make so many scanlations.
WTH, this isn't a clear argument at all XD If people didn't want the crap here, then they wouldn't pirate it XD* So that has nothing to do with scanslations.

(except, they actually sell those things in America anyway.)

ILikeFeet

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
Okay, I take that back....it seems that what I view as a bad thing is probably viewed heavily as a good thing for most people. The other two statements still stand.

:)

Hcoregamer00
(Today, 07:37 PM)
Reply | Quote

you can't fool me! but yea, I went to the site a couple times thanks to some weird links and it was a shithole. never been to 2ch though. or 2chan, but that's very close to 4chan. so I avoid that.

Replicant

Pylon_Trooper said:
I'd say that really depends on where you live/stay in Japan. And this blatant stereotyping of xenophobia simmering across Japanese society is no more prevalent than any other country.

Except in my case I experienced it on many areas of Japan. Be it Tokyo or a small city like Okazaki. Sometimes it happened to me, sometimes it happened to my friends.

One time my friends and I were about to celebrate our exam final. So we decided to go to this local Izakaya in Okazaki and guess what, they told me that while I can come in, my friends can't. It took me a few seconds to realize that the difference between me and my friends is that my friends are caucasians. Why would I want to go to a bar on my own without my friends is the question I had in mind. It's like they can't even be less blatant about their xenophobia.

Another time same city, my friend and I were stopped while riding a bike by a police who asked us if we have rego. Even though we both have them, he continued to question us things like where we live, what are we doing right now (WTF? Obviously riding a bike before you stop us), why are we in Japan. Shits that just make you uncomfortable. A different time this time in Shinjuku, my bag was searched while I was asking for directions. The police didn't even ask "can I look at your bag?" He just went "What's in your bag?" And proceeded to open it apart and went through my things. I don't think I've ever experienced this kind of harassment in Australia.

More fun time: my friends and I were about to eat at a restaurant in Kanazawa and we're promptly told that the restaurant is full. This is even though we could see clearly that the place is empty. But then before we could walk too far from the place, we saw the owner welcoming a Japanese couple. We just shook our head and moved on to look for other place. In Australia, that owner would have been sued for such open display of xenophobia.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Belfast said:
I have to say this is a really selfish view of things. You're essentially telling them to stop making stuff that reliably sells and instead make it more tailored to the west's tastes in order to... reduce the frequency of translating media for free? Ignoring the contradiction, you're pretty much defending piracy on the grounds of "I don't like your other stuff so I'm free to steal what I want out of spite."

Pein

Banned
Belfast said:
:lol

Replicant said:
Except in my case I experienced it on many areas of Japan. Be it Tokyo or a small city like Okazaki. Sometimes it happened to me, sometimes it happened to my friends.

One time my friends and I were about to celebrate our exam final. So we decided to go to this local Izakaya in Okazaki and guess what, they told me that while I can come in, my friends can't. It took me a few seconds to realize that the difference between me and my friends is that my friends are caucasians. Why would I want to go to a bar on my own without my friends is the question I had in mind. It's like they can't even be less blatant about their xenophobia.

Another time same city, my friend and I were stopped while riding a bike by a police who asked us if we have rego. Even though we both have them, he continued to question us things like where we live, what are we doing right now (WTF? Obviously riding a bike before you stop us), why are we in Japan. Shits that just make you uncomfortable. A different time this time in Shinjuku, my bag was searched while I was asking for directions. The police didn't even ask "can I look at your bag?" He just went "What's in your bag?" And proceeded to open it apart and went through my things. I don't think I've ever experienced this kind of harassment in Australia.

More fun time: my friends and I were about to eat at a restaurant in Kanazawa and we're promptly told that the restaurant is full. This is even though we could see clearly that the place is empty. But then before we could walk too far from the place, we saw the owner welcoming a Japanese couple. We just shook our head and moved on to look for other place. In Australia, that owner would have been sued for such open display of xenophobia.

Seems like a pretty bad run. You're right, though, there's not really any pressure to throw out outdated shit like the racial question for entry to a goddamn bar. I feel for you. I did get my car bonnet keyed one time, but I couldn't tell if it was just a random act by kids or by the guy I parked next to when I went to see the school baseball team's game. Either way, felt pretty down about it for a while...but then thought, for all the people I've come to know over the years, 99.9% percent of people are brilliant and polite.

It kinda helps to be in southern Kyushu, though. You'd think a regional less-international part of Japan would be the most staunchly Japanese, but Kagoshima is really friendly and relaxed. Also helps that my father-in-law is a nice guy and has a heap of work associates and friends we always visit and see. So, dodged a number of bullets that way.

Again, those situations of sheer blunt-force racial targeting is very backward and I'm sorry to hear about it. Idiot mouth-breathing nerd comments like that in the OP - despite not being the entire spectrum of what the comments were - don't help much, either.

It just means "friend" or "comrade" or whatever. The term gets used a lot in the manga / anime One Piece where fan translators (and a lot of the fan community) feel that it has some deeper significance that can't be expressed in English (which is wrong).

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
ChiTownBuffalo said:
Oh, I judge Japan based on so many other things, you weeaboo.

What do you judge Japan on? I lived there for three years, and absolutely adore the place, despite its faults.

In fact, I haven't met very many people who have lived in Japan and come away hating it.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Momo said:
As someone of asian descent myself (korean), I want to add a big fuck you to 2chan and the scum that they foster over there. Hell yes pirating manga is an issue (I go out of my damn way to purchase manga when it's available here), however these are a bunch of xenophobic fucktards that never have anything positive to add to the god damn issue.

2ch, you should be lobbying your publishers to release their products in other regions, you know why? cause at the end of the day if they make more money, they have more money to spend on funding manga outside of the god awful shonen genre.

To spite you, I will never again buy any anime series from a studio that does the moe shit you love so much.

fuck you :)
Woah there buddy. No need to get all hostile like that. No need to assume that every single japanese man out there likes moe. I certainly don't.

hteng

Banned
the xenophobic mentality is seen in online games too, even when I'm playing on FFXI where the servers are cross regional, they like to refer to non-japanese as foreigners (gaijin). It doesn't make sense since the servers don't really belong to them and this is an international community. So yeah, i think this xenophobic nature is more prevalent compare to other countries.

hteng

Banned
Vipershark said:
i've never actually heard this term.

What's the correct way to use it?

nakama is more inline with comrade, friends..etc

it's very common in shitty bleach scanlations "wait till our nakama comes!"

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Jangaroo said:
Woah there buddy. No need to get all hostile like that. No need to assume that every single japanese man out there likes moe. I certainly don't.

Well, every American likes Budweiser and shooting brown people right? If all Japanese men love moe, that must be true, too.

ReiGun

Nice to see that the internet remains a breeding ground for mouth breathing jackasses on both hemispheres. Makes me feel all warm knowing we have something so magical in common.

zoku88

hteng said:
the xenophobic mentality is seen in online games too, even when I'm playing on FFXI where the servers are cross regional, they like to refer to non-japanese as foreigners (gaijin). It doesn't make sense since the servers don't really belong to them and this is an international community. So yeah, i think this xenophobic nature is more prevalent compare to other countries.
Have you ever seen how online games can get between Europeans and Americans? It can get pretty bad.

Fact: Judging a country by its online community is bad, because there are so many jerks no matter where they are.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
thetrin said:
Well, every American likes Budweiser and shooting brown people right? If all Japanese men love moe, that must be true, too.
I smell sarcasm but I don't know how I should respond.

hteng said:

It comes from One Piece.

One of the biggest fansubbers for early episodes couldn't decide whether to use "friend" or "comrade" or "crewmate" during a major scene, so he just left it untranslated (the official licensed translation was "one of us"). Apparently later he said that it was a special occasion and hoped people wouldn't overuse it.

Years later, and fansubs, scanlations, wikis, and much of the manga/anime community thinks that it's a magical Oriental word that means some kind of super-special relationship that simply can't be described by filthy baka gaijin language.

hteng said:

oh, I see. It's essentially the same situation as "according to keikaku" where the english term could be used with no problem whatsoever

thetrin

hteng said:

Yeah, and American gamers are totally welcoming and love diversity, amirite?

Link1110

At least I've never seen a JRPG that said "<person> became your nakama" or "<person> joined your nakama." Almost every JRPG uses these, so at least translators do that right.

Vipershark said:
oh, I see. It's essentially the same situation as "according to keikaku" where the english term could be used with no problem whatsoever

Pretty much. As said above, the only reason it's left untranslated is because weeaboos think Japanese words are better by default.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom