• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese 2ch users over OneManga closing down: "Serves you right, foreign scum!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anth0ny

HamPster PamPster said:
It's not cheaper then normal TV though. I like anime and all but if I'm buying TV shows on DVD I'll just buy the much cheaper non-anime shows. I only watch anime on hulu or netflix these days

The industry in America spent way too long pumping out over priced single DVD boxes with like 3-4 episodes on each and now they driven away anyone with a casual interest

I know that. I was comparing Japan's anime DVD prices to our anime DVD prices. For example:

One Piece Log Collection: East Blue covers the first 17 episodes of the series. Retails in Japan for 7,417 yen [Amazon Japan], which comes out to something like $85 USD.

One Piece Season One: First Voyage is the North American equivalent, and covers the first 13 episodes for a measly $22.

There's no comparison, Japan pays a shitton more more their DVDs, and CDs, and Blu Rays... and pretty much all of their media from what I've been told.

I like how the thread title assumes we give two squirts of piss about the opinions of another retarded 'chan' shitehole.

Oh, hold on, I don't like that.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
cosmicblizzard said:
What's funny is there are PLENTY of alternatives that even have bigger libraries. This internet war is pointless.
I havnt been using them lately since they are like 1-2 days late every week.

vocab

One manga was bound to go down at some point, free shit out in the open like that is begging to be shut down. Also, there's tons of other places that are way worse than one manga. I know FTP's, and IRC channels with over 20+ terrabytes of shit.

Also, it's ironic Nippon boards are bad mouthing foreigners when a good portion of peers on some of the shit I upload to animesuki are nothing but Japanese IP's.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm not sure I understand what the purpose of documenting this pointless argument is.

In any case, they can "laugh" all they want, they're still paying 80+ bucks for Blu Ray sets :lol

Geneijin

Drkirby said:
Wait wait wait.

Do they think Megauploader subs the anime them selfs? They do not realize it is just a file storage site?

Some might think so but I'm pretty sure most are aware what kind of service it is. I wouldn't be surprised if they thought it was the Pirate bay of anime fansubs given people's preference for it. It was either that or they could mention rapidshare instead.

Gattsu25 said:
"Hosts manga" meaning a website that posts manga (that was released in its country of origin for a price) for free, I assume.

Pretty much.

In that case, I don't really see the reason why we should be shocked that they deem websites like that to be piracy. I understand that there is an 'unlicensed' grey issue at play but, from their perspective, I can easily see why they deem that as irrelevant.

I don't think anyone's really shocked. The comments are just typical 2ch.

Takao

Banned
Gattsu25 said:
"Hosts manga" meaning a website that posts manga (that was released in its country of origin for a price) for free, I assume.

In that case, I don't really see the reason why we should be shocked that they deem websites like that to be piracy. I understand that there is an 'unlicensed' grey issue at play but, from their perspective, I can easily see why they deem that as irrelevant.

The thing is, the most popular titles on those sites are usually already licensed for release in English. These sites try to cover their asses with a "Naruto is licensed by Viz Media. Please support the official release" disclaimer, but when you've got links to the entire series for free following that tiny bit of text, I'd assume one message is getting pushed clearer than the other.

What's worse are the ones who simply scan the official English releases for a series, and put them up. That's really nice of them.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Mudkips said:
Xenophobes vs Pirates

FIGHT!!!

The Xenophobes are likely pirates as well. They just don't want anything from their "glorious nippon" to touch the hands of filthy gaijin.

Eiji

Blackface said:
I have no idea what any of this means, or what anyone is talking about. It's awesome.

11h83k0.jpg

“The reason it came to this is probably because this content is only that of the yellow races. They should have sued first like Nintendo. They’ve probably got used to scanlation so it’s no good now.”

Sweet, I'm in the clear. :lol

joetachi

One manga closing down like anything that has to do with piracy only spreads around the people that visit the site to the smaller sites that did the same thing. One manga is the top search when you look for manga so it was bound to happen.

Flek

Banned
Trojita said:
The Xenophobes are likely pirates as well. They just don't want anything from their "glorious nippon" to touch the hands of filthy gaijin.

true. But you have to wonder if most of the japanese are xenophobes or if not. But then again those 2ch otakus are just like the /b/ of japan so yeha … who gives a fuck.

Xater said:
And no one here will care. :lol
i care if complete akiba hates me ;P

that means my dirts foreign hands would never be able to play there sweet love+ arcade 1 :lol :lol

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Himuro said:
I'm not waiting 5 fucking years to catch up on One Piece, Berserk, Vagabond and a whole slew of other manga I read because of the snail paced publishers over here.

Viz media has been aggressively releasing One Piece volumes in the USA.

Gattsu25

Banned
Takao said:
The thing is, the most popular titles on those sites are usually already licensed for release in English. These sites try to cover their asses with a "Naruto is licensed by Viz Media. Please support the official release" disclaimer, but when you've got links to the entire series for free following that tiny bit of text, I'd assume one message is getting pushed clearer than the other.

What's worse are the ones who simply scan the official English releases for a series, and put them up. That's really nice of them.
Wow. If this is the first of those sites to fall--huh? I wonder why it took so long

Takao

Banned
Himuro said:
And I've been buying them. It's just an example. A year ago, they were at least 5 years behind in terms of story.

You could've used something better than One Piece though, lol.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm curious though - American comic book producers have been fighting scans for a while now, but surely Japanese people scan manga as well. It's not like the scanlaters fly to Japan to buy the magazines/books themselves.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Dammit, page one of this thread is giving malware warnings.

Didn't we just go through with this? It's obviously someone's avatar hosted on a dangerous site again.

Takao

Banned
Gattsu25 said:
Wow. If this is the first of those sites to fall--huh? I wonder why it took so long

Onemanga isn't the first to go down, but it's the biggest. The reason why they usually didn't bother is because a lot of the American branches of the publishers simply don't have the money and man power to spend fighting these guys so they usually send a cease and desist letter to which some agree to remove the content, to which others ignore. But now, that's changed, as the parent companies in Japan are starting to throw their weight around. The same happened to the anime distributors a few years ago.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
They should keep the site up but only with one manga available on the site. It would be perfectly fitting with the name :D

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Probably doesn't represent the opinions of 2ch as a whole anyway. As most of those posts sound like "obvious" trolling.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Japan just keeps making it difficult for me to like them.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Oh, I judge Japan based on so many other things, you weeaboo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom