• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Schreier's industry sources: PS5 is superior in ways that Sony has not communicated yet

lynux3

They are console exclusive. HZD is coming to PC along with many others that have(Death Stranding,Quantic Dreams games) or will in the future. including MLB The Show. So if u want to play that game, exlude HZD2 as it will inevitably come to PC etc. :)
Day and date versus releases that took between 8 months and 9 years. MLB The Show is an edge case due to licensing. Are you suggesting PS5 won't have any exclusives and I didn't know Horizon Zero Dawn had a sequel announced!? Let alone confirmed for PC! :messenger_open_mouth:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
if there was some humbleness after the inferior PS5 specs were announced, the PS5 wouldn't be trashed so much.
Is this how we justify all these threads trashing PS5 and all the trolling? It is Sony’s fans they asked for it by not prostrating far enough to their King Xbox? Kind of takes the rational discourse in the rest of the post and throws it out of the window.

Also, I have not really seen Sony fans attacking XSX while I have seen plenty of trolling / trashing / gloating about how Supposedly poor, inferior, and trash PS5 is. If people are not disingenuous or blissfully unaware that is quite evident.

TBiddy

Also, I have not really seen Sony fans attacking XSX while I have seen plenty of trolling / trashing / gloating about how Supposedly poor, inferior, and trash PS5 is. If people are not disingenuous or blissfully unaware that is quite evident.

Really? How on earth have you missed that? Go read the Bleeding Edge thread. You'll see 3 or 4 of the usual suspects at it. And yes, there's quite a few idiots on the other side of the fence as well, but I'm honestly surprised you haven't noticed anyone trashing Microsoft.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
PCs are expected to have less stable performance than a console, because the user can tweak as much/little as he/she wishes. Consoles generally have to go for many years, and the hardware is what it is. The main way to optimize for it and squeeze everything out of it, is to have a set system. If you make things variable, it inevitably makes the optimization more difficult. Sony is known to make things more difficult than necessary though. Look at the PS3....
Sure, but with nVIDIA’s RSX not dropping the ball and developers having more time to get to grip with the CELL (nVIDIA had Sony by the balls once the Toshiba RS design was discarded) you would have heard a different song... kind of like towards the end of the generation when not just the first party devs were finding appreciation for what the SPE brought to the table.

Anyways, PS3 CELL detour aside, no Cerny architected system has been accused of being overly complicated and/or difficult to optimise for (Cerny’s time to triangle metric gets smaller not higher going from PS3 to PS4 to PS5... PS Vita was also quite loved from the HW design and OS points of view... the track record is positive also in terms of listening to developers).

Obviously, yes. But that was not the point. The point is that the XSX design is in such a way that the cooling is sufficient to run the system at a constant speed at all times. In other words, no part of the hardware is being hampered from working at its max design capacity.

It was part of the point as thermal constraints exist for XSX as well as you made the point yourself in terms of SMT being turned off to allow frequency to scale to 3.8 GHz. Which we were discussing about earlier... guess we agree to disagree there.

I actually suspect that they went with a smaller GPU, because GCN had a scaling issue. The most obvious example was the Vega 56 and Vega 64, where they both performed exactly the same despite the Vega 64 having 14% more CUs. Sony most likely figured out that past 40CUs, scaling was bad, so, they didn't want to risk spending die size and thus cost on a larger GPU. This is why Cerny was talking about the whole clock speed vs CU thing. Apparently RDNA has fixed that though, so, despite their good initial intention, it didn't turn out right for them. If the XSX has issues scaling towards 52 CUs, we'll find out soon enough.

This is an interesting angle.

The question is whether this is because of a need, since they are weak in comparison to the XSX specs, or if it really was intended like that from the beginning. The former is more logical, although the second one is not impossible.
I think the solution overall is elaborate, complex, and linked to many other design choices enough to be intentional. Why build an entire design around very high frequency target and fixed power consumption (linked to their choice of cooling and noise control) if you do not plan to use it or did they spend tons of money just in case they were going to be weaker and panicking.
Surely, if they could lock it to 2.2 GHz and then let it boost to 2.4 GHz it would be even better so there is a point in saying they are thermally limited... hot water being hot seems a painfully obvious situation.

In terms of TFLOPS it's over 17% when the PS5 is boosting. So it's at least 17%. Add in the RAM bandwidth difference, and the difference widens quite quickly.
The bandwidth difference, limited to the fast memory (I do not think you can serve accesses from both slow and fast busses, so a slow access will lock it until it is done), is there to feed the additional units, it is not am the advantage you are looking for. RAM is an interesting subject if you take streaming into the equation and how much space you can save with a faster streaming setup.

That still doesn't change the fact that they have to experimentally determine (i.e. a slow and tedious process) what the optimal way of doing things is.

Same as optimising your software for console generally is and it depends on how strong the variation in clock speed is. Not too different than finding out if you want to go wider than 8 threads and need SMT or not. You can assume the worst, others the best... and some something in the middle.
The system they came up with seems quite refined to be thrown together at the last minute and given good cooling, where they reportedly spent a lot of money, I think they will have a forced worst case variation that is both relatively small and infrequent.

What is more likely to happen is that for AA and Indies the console will be very very quiet and should still be quiet enough when loading the best people like ND can throw at them. We shall see :). Braniac vs ~”Speed Demon”... fight :)!

Really? How on earth have you missed that? Go read the Bleeding Edge thread. You'll see 3 or 4 of the usual suspects at it. And yes, there's quite a few idiots on the other side of the fence as well, but I'm honestly surprised you haven't noticed anyone trashing Microsoft.
The same way I notice a tempest and may forget a rainfall... but if you do not want to see it... fine.
I did not say nobody was caught with their pants down trolling, although if you count not bowing down with shame and pretending to discuss specs reality that can be considered trolling then huh?!
Then again seeing Xbox fans trolling around and shouting SonyGAF as soon as anyone calls them out

TBiddy

The same way I notice a tempest and may forget a rainfall... but if you do not want to see it... fine.
I did not say nobody was caught with their pants down trolling, although if you count not bowing down with shame and pretending to discuss specs reality that can be considered trolling then huh?!
Then again seeing Xbox fans trolling around and shouting SonyGAF as soon as anyone calls them out

I'm not quite sure what you mean here. Did you mean to quote me or someone else?

Grinchy

Banned
Will both new consoles be able to play cyberpunk 2077 at 4k with 60fps, anyone?
The PS5 version will probably be 480p/30fps but will have shorter loading times, if what I've been reading around here is correct.

In all seriousness, not only would I hope for 4K/60 on any current gen game, but I hope there's a VR version of this one specifically.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I'm not quite sure what you mean here. Did you mean to quote me or someone else?

No, I think I responded to the right post... I have seen a side engaging in console warring and at the same time screaming the forum was biased for the other side implicitly (in the cases where they were not calling those fans sheep).

sendit

Bleeding edge is capped at 60 FPS with auto aim on the PC....it rightly deserves to be trashed.

CJY

Banned
I think it's clear that from the beginning, Cerny was going for high GPU clock speeds.

The leaks went from 1.8Ghz, to 2.0Ghz to finally resting at 2.23Ghz while XSX GPU is 1.825Ghz. XSX figure is probably as high as they can comfortably go within the thermal envelope of their design. I'm sure they could get more clocks if they wanted to push it though.

I honestly wasn't following the leaks that closely on either side, so maybe someone can corroborate on some of what I'm saying.

TBiddy

No, I think I responded to the right post... I have seen a side engaging in console warring and at the same time screaming the forum was biased for the other side implicitly (in the cases where they were not calling those fans sheep).

If you have only seen one side doing that, you are truly blind.

Bleeding edge is capped at 60 FPS with auto aim on the PC....it rightly deserves to be trashed.

Cute.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
If you have only seen one side doing that, you are truly blind.

I have seen both sides, repeated it twice but apparently you keep missing it, but if you do not see the side that was and is still trolling the other a helluvalot more and then crying about SonyGAF then I do not know what to tell you. You would be just blissfully unaware at best...

Last edited:

TBiddy

I have seen both sides, repeated it twice but apparently you keep missing it, but if you do not see the side that was and is still trolling the other a helluvalot more and then crying about SonyGAF then I do not know what to tell you. You would be just blissfully unaware at best...

Not really. I have seen the multiple shitposts from the green side as well. I'm not native English, so I might've misunderstood some of your posts, but it sounded like you were denying that the blue side is just as bad.

sinnergy

I think it's clear that from the beginning, Cerny was going for high GPU clock speeds.

The leaks went from 1.8Ghz, to 2.0Ghz to finally resting at 2.23Ghz while XSX GPU is 1.825Ghz. XSX figure is probably as high as they can comfortably go within the thermal envelope of their design. I'm sure they could get more clocks if they wanted to push it though.

I honestly wasn't following the leaks that closely on either side, so maybe someone can corroborate on some of what I'm saying.
If I recall Series X was at 1650 MHz GPU some time ago.

Reactions: CJY

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Not really. I have seen the multiple shitposts from the green side as well. I'm not native English, so I might've misunderstood some of your posts, but it sounded like you were denying that the blue side is just as bad.

I was not denying the blue side has no fault, it has its own examples of shitty behaviour and banned people because of it. I am saying I have seen a side gloating and trolling and being aggressive at a higher rate than the other/worse than the other (it was not the blue one).
Not every time things can be white washed away with “all side badly equally”.

Last edited:

Redlight

I was not denying the blue side has no fault, it has its own examples of shitty behaviour and banned people because of it. I am saying I have seen a side gloating and trolling and being aggressive at a higher rate than the other/worse than the other (it was not the blue one).
Not every time things can be white washed away with “all side badly equally”.
This site does have a Sony bias, every multi-platform site does. It's natural enough given that the PS4 outsold the Xbox One by at least 2:1.

The amount of trolling here has also been reflective of that ratio for years, as you would expect, and the reason you haven't been offended by it until now is probably because it was in broad agreement with your own preferences, that's human nature.

For a brief moment the shoe is on the other foot and now your outraged by the behaviour of 'trolls'.

Let's be honest. If the PS5 had a 2 TF power advantage over the Series X would you be in these threads complaining about Sony fans trolling? Did you in 2013 (and pretty much every year since)?

Somehow I think not.

sinnergy

This site does have a Sony bias, every multi-platform site does. It's natural enough given that the PS4 outsold the Xbox One by at least 2:1.

The amount of trolling here has also been reflective of that ratio for years, as you would expect, and the reason you haven't been offended by it until now is probably because it was in broad agreement with your own preferences, that's human nature.

For a brief moment the shoe is on the other foot and now your outraged by the behaviour of 'trolls'.

Let's be honest. If the PS5 had a 2 TF power advantage over the Series X would you be in these threads complaining about Sony fans trolling? Did you in 2013 (and pretty much every year since)?

Somehow I think not.
Amen.

The only reason Cerny went after high clocks is because he was locked into the same 36CU butterfly topology as the PS4 Pro for back compat reasons. It was the only way to eek out the performance required for a next gen box. Why Cerny gets so much love after hamstringing future PlayStation devices in such a way I don’t know.

You got that bit right, poor trolling.

Haha - good rebuttal. Pretty sure I’m gonna enjoy my PS5 regardless but there’s no denying that poor architectural decisions for backwards compatibility have led Sony to where they are.

Let me guess, mid gen refresh they will run 2x 36CU in butterfly like Ps4 Pro? What about PS6? They can’t keep doing this forever.

geordiemp

Haha - good rebuttal. Pretty sure I’m gonna enjoy my PS5 regardless but there’s no denying that poor architectural decisions for backwards compatibility have led Sony to where they are.

Let me guess, mid gen refresh they will run 2x 36CU in butterfly like Ps4 Pro? What about PS6? They can’t keep doing this forever.

Sony have a patent for disabling CU, so they can come back to 36 CU from higher amount on ps6 but how that works is unknown to me, but sure Sony will know.

We dont know, we only know they went 36 CU active (low cost), they went 256 bus (low cost) and the SSD has 12 bus but low cost Nand chips (low cost SSD chips)., and 16 GB RAM at cheaspest 14 bps (low cost) and have a special patent for cooling for a while now likely to run higher clocks.

There is something sticking out that is recurring in the above, but I just cant put my finger on it.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
You are mistaking systemic bias with having a minority opinion opposite to the majority of users. You were not around the Xbox 360 early days much or when PS4 was predicted to flunk and be destroyed by Xbox One?! So yeah, the tide can turn.

Again, the shoe was on the other foot and I still saw a similar behaviour with some XboxGAF cries too to be fair, which was wrong.

Somehow I think not.

Somehow I think so :). For the threads I read and participated in and for what I posted and how. I saw a less virulent and systematic jock level maturity trolling against Xbox even during those days.
You are free not to take me at my word, that is life :).

I still saw a lot of trolling from the same side when the power advantage was much clearer: dGPU, must be sitting half a meter from the TV to notice any difference, Power of the Cloud, We invented DirectX, PSN Hack/PSN is shit, Censorship, Crossplay (right after the Xbox 360 generation when it was blocked by MS), sales do not matter, WALKING SIMULATORS, Sony first party games getting inflated review scores thanks to their SJW buddies, The Last of Lesbians, etc... a core group of very very dedicated Xbox fans going in the biggest PS4 exclusive threads and shitting on them (hilarious example was the Days Gone pileon when it was predicted to fail commercially because of some reviews and people were dancing on its grave).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Sony have a patent for disabling CU, so they can come back to 36 CU from higher amount on ps6 but how that works is unknown to me, but sure Sony will know.

We dont know, we only know they went 36 CU active (low cost), they went 256 bus (low cost) and the SSD has 12 bus but low cost Nand chips (low cost SSD chips)., and 16 GB RAM at cheaspest 14 bps (low cost) and have a special patent for cooling for a while now likely to run higher clocks.

There is something sticking out that is recurring in the above, but I just cant put my finger on it.

Both systems are optimised for a limited power budget and price, likelyMS is again targeting a higher MSRP than Sony.

Neither is giving an infinite budget to spend: else the XSX would have a CPU running at3.8 GHz without disabling SMT and would not be shipping with a split memory setup with fast and slow memory regions.
By the way, GDDR6 bandwidth is matched to CU count, not sure why they would splurge for bandwidth they would not use.

Last edited:

Ive been saying this since the reveal. There is a "Ps5 Pro" coming. Sony is tryin to hold on to that huge market share they have with the Ps4. I suspect they want to go a bit cheaper at first just to snag loyal repeat customers and then when their first party studios are actually in full swing pumping out PS5 games you will see a midgen refresh to grab even more customers.

Barnabot

sometimes i feel like i'm playing sf3 and ps5 shills are like gill the final boss. i've beaten the shit out of him and we already know that he's gonna play the ressurection card in the final round so i proceed and beat the shit out of him again. c'mon man i just wanna see the credits roll already.

leave the bargain state and move on to depression and acceptance.

[
I have actually been seeing the exact opposite for years. So who is right ? Who is wrong ?
Its been the same shit. Fanboys are fanboys. Xbox fanboys are not worse than PS ones. Or vice versa. I will say that Ive watched Xbox fanboys spin more bullshit the last few years than PS. But thats because MS kinda left gamers out to dry. But recently the ps fanboy spin is getting stronger with the specs reveal.

[

Its been the same shit. Fanboys are fanboys. Xbox fanboys are not worse than PS ones. Or vice versa. I will say that Ive watched Xbox fanboys spin more bullshit the last few years than PS. But thats because MS kinda left gamers out to dry. But recently the ps fanboy spin is getting stronger with the specs reveal.

Naaaah. XSX SSD must be stronger than SSD in PS5. XSX must be better than PS5 in every segment. Than you have some Phil Spencer nut huggers on Twitter which are loud as shit. TimDog and MrX are loud as they never been before

Last edited:
Naaaah. XSX SSD must be stronger than SSD in PS5. XSX must be better than PS5 in every segment. Than you have some Phil Spencer nut huggers on Twitter which are loud as shit. TimDog and MrX are loud as they never been before
They have had NOTHING to be loud about for years. Of course they are gonna make noise now. Its a whole new generation. Theyve been waiting for this since 2013. That being said..until Sony drops games that are showcasing what their investments in SSD entail ..PS fans need to stop hyping it up. Just let the games talk.

xiseerht

Jason Schreier's industry sources = AKA dudes that currently work at Sony and a random dude that works at Atlas ( since Atlas hates Xbox.............lol)

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I have actually been seeing the exact opposite for years. So who is right ? Who is wrong ?

Me of course ;). Hehe 😂... just joking. Can you honestly you have not noticed a group of people systematically going after any perceived PS4 advantage and PS5 strength (exclusives, HW features, etc..)? Mmmh...

Me of course ;). Hehe 😂... just joking. Can you honestly you have not noticed a group of people systematically going after any perceived PS4 advantage and PS5 strength (exclusives, HW features, etc..)? Mmmh...
The same goes for Xbox. When PS hadnt revelaed anything for the ps5 PS fans were going after backwards compatibility, they went after Gamepass, the design of the series X. It goes both ways. There are no victims here. Just sensitive ass fanboys who are out of touch with reality.

Last edited:

geordiemp

Ive been saying this since the reveal. There is a "Ps5 Pro" coming. Sony is tryin to hold on to that huge market share they have with the Ps4. I suspect they want to go a bit cheaper at first just to snag loyal repeat customers and then when their first party studios are actually in full swing pumping out PS5 games you will see a midgen refresh to grab even more customers.

The Pro coming later only makes sense business wise if the technoology is not available now, So if Ps5 pro needs something that might come in a year or 2, then fine do it later.

But Big CU amd chips exist now, bigger bus exists now, 18 gbps RAM is now so Ps5 pro is possible in 2020.

And in the first year the early adopters, the big spenders when console numbers are limited, is the time to bring out the Pro.

Sony only need a cheap version when demand dies down a little and cost concious buyers are needed, ie after 6 months to 1 year.

TLDR : Why only have the low cost version of Ps5 if there is a 3 month waiting list, does not compute.

Last edited:

cireza

I don't know. And I don't spend time only on Neogaf. I actually go to another website where being an Xbox player is extremely difficult with people from "PS side" coming in the official Xbox thread on a daily basis to simply take a shit, then leave. As the website is largely pro-PS, we have to endure this shit constantly without any mod acting in our favor. Of course Xbox fans never go the PS thread, because why would we go there anyway ?

I have been witnessing this since I got an Xbox, which was I believe one year after the Xbox One reveal (when they dropped Kinect). During all these years, it has been PS fans shitposting one after another. Now that the tides have changed a bit with One X, and now Series X, they don't have as many ammunition, but they are still there on a daily basis. And of course, they get what they deserve, and I have to admit that I really appreciate it when once in a while they just have nothing to say and just shut-up.

I keep going there because there are some nice persons there of course (otherwise I would have left a long time ago), but having to endure all these jerks is a pain, you can't ignore them either (unless you resort to developing your own javascript add-ons, which I eventually did, but it is still not the best solution and there is only so much you can do).

Last edited:
The Pro coming later only makes sense business wise if the technoology is not available now, So if Ps5 pro needs something that might come in a year or 2, then fine do it later.

But Big CU amd chips exist now, bigger bus exists now, 18 gbps RAM is now so Ps5 pro is possible in 2020.

And in the first year the early adopters, the big spenders when consoles are limited, is the time to bring out the Pro.

Sony only need a cheap version when demand dies down a little and cost concious buyers are needed, ie after 6 months to 1 year.

So no, Ps5 pro should come out now if there is a pro plan.
The price point will dictate that. Look at this Covid 19 pandemic. Economies are in shambles. Higher premium price right now will kill the sales. Now is not the time to try and sell people even more expensive "toys." We dont know if anyone will be a big spender after this.

I don't know. And I don't spend time only on Neogaf. I actually go to another website where being an Xbox player is extremely difficult with people from "PS side" coming in the official Xbox thread on a daily basis to simply take a shit, then leave. As the website is largely pro-PS, we have to endure this shit constantly without any mod acting in our favor. Of course Xbox fans never go the PS thread, because why would we go there anyway ?

I have been witnessing this since I got an Xbox, which was I believe one year after the Xbox One reveal (when they dropped Kinect). During all these years, it has been PS fans shitposting one after another. Now that the tides have changed a bit with One X, and now Series X, they don't have as many ammunition, but they are still there on a daily basis. And of course, they get what they deserve, and I have to admit that I really appreciate it when once in a while they just have nothing to say and just shut-up.

I keep going there because there are some nice persons there of course (otherwise I would have left a long time ago), but having to endure all these jerks is a pain, you can't ignore them either (unless you resort to developing your own javascript add-ons, which I eventually did, but it is still not the best solution and there is only so much you can do).
Guess you wasnt around jin the 360/ps3 days...ms fanboys were ruthless. Whoever has the most popular console...has the loudest fanboys

geordiemp

The price point will dictate that. Look at this Covid 19 pandemic. Economies are in shambles. Higher premium price right now will kill the sales. Now is not the time to try and sell people even more expensive "toys." We dont know if anyone will be a big spender after this.

The company making those ventillators and face masks will be making some money thats for sure.

Jason Schreier has always been pretty biased, but he really did go out on a limb and remove any doubt this time.
There's only one thing worse that someone who is biased but tries to say they arnt, and thats someone who is biased but tries to say they arnt, but is thin skinned as well.

ethomaz

Banned
At no point can I see a 36CU GPU have more ROPs than a 52CU one.
ROPs in RDNA are not related to CUs.
It is 32ROPs per SE.
If Xbox has 2 SEs like PS5 the it probably will have 64ROPs... if it has 3 SEs then it will have 96ROPs.

TMUs the opposite increase withy CUs... só Xbox will have more proportional to number of the CUs.

Last edited:
It is 32ROPs per SE.
If Xbox has 2 SEs like PS5 the it probably will have 64ROPs... if it has 3 SEs then it will have 96ROPs.

TMUs the opposite increase withy CUs... só Xbox will have more proportional to number of the CUs.
I think the design decision by Sony to go with double the ROPs in the PS4 was well and truly vindicated. I can see both Sony and MS going with the max they can.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
It is 32ROPs per SE.

They don't know what rops are :) lol

Top Bottom