• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Schreier's industry sources: PS5 is superior in ways that Sony has not communicated yet

DonF

there is no secret sauce, people, get over it!
I will surely get only a ps5 next gen, but come on. Its not going to be the most powerful console. Period. It will get great exclusives ( movies, lol) but thats it.

Maybe better loading times. But raw power, it cant compete.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
there is no secret sauce, people, get over it!
I will surely get only a ps5 next gen, but come on. Its not going to be the most powerful console. Period. It will get great exclusives ( movies, lol) but thats it.

Maybe better loading times. But raw power, it cant compete.
They'll be nearly identical, PS5 will do some things better and XSX will do some things better

PS5 will have the better software

Dory16

Banned
A corporation that hides the reason why consumers should by its product wouldn't have fared as long as Sony. Schreier is insulting our intelligence and then he has the nerve to be surprised when people doubt his Naughty dog stories.
When Sony had the power advantage, here was their ad:

D4Rkiq7.jpg

I believe that they've communicated all there is. There's no superiority, that's why they didn't claim it. Now they should have the transparency to reveal a price and present some games. Their customers deserve to know what they're being asked to invest their hard earned money into. Not having seen a form factor or a single game this close to release is almost unprecedented.

This literally means nothing. It’s a play of words. Superior in a lot of ways? Superior than the X? (Wasn’t clear) superior than the stadia? (Wasn’t clear) superior than the ps4? (Wasn’t clear). Could they mean the SSD is showing them stuff? (Probably). The truth is, MS caught them off guard with the power of the SX .
Is this the same pants down where microsoft has never won a console generation? If sony is pants down, microsoft aint even wearing underwear.

oldergamer

This Jason guys is a pure fan of Sony. Just because he is in the media, doesn't mean he doesn't have a preference. based on his comments I wouldn't trust his opinion when it came to which console is more powerful as he seems to "want" sony to be the more powerful system.

Dory16

Banned
A corporation that hides the reason why consumers should by its product wouldn't have fared as well as Sony. Schreier is insulting our intelligence and then he has the nerve to be surprised when people doubt his Naughty dog stories.

D4Rkiq7.jpg

I believe that they've communicated all there is. There's no superiority, that's why they didn't claim it. Now they should have the transparency to reveal a price and present some games. Their customers deserve to know what they're being asked to invest their hard earned money into. Not having seen a form factor or a single game this close to release is almost unprecedented.

This Jason guys is a pure fan of Sony. Just because he is in the media, doesn't mean he doesn't have a preference. based on his comments I wouldn't trust his opinion when it came to which console is more powerful as he seems to "want" sony to be the more powerful system.
What makes you say Jason is a pure fan of Sony?

Do you have evidence of this?

I feel like the people coming into threads and labelling Jason a Sony fanboy are just trolling.

SleepDoctor

Banned
A corporation that hides the reason why consumers should by its product wouldn't have fared as long as Sony. Schreier is insulting our intelligence and then he has the nerve to be surprised when people doubt his Naughty dog stories.

D4Rkiq7.jpg

Thats pretty much all there is to it. If they had any other things to hold over Microsofts head, they'd be announcing and boasting about it everywhere.

Only people still waiting on the "secret sauce" are the same warriors who spent all their time shitposting all Xbox related threads and celebrating 13.3 tf rumors.

Probably.

But there's still the highly doubtful next gen horizon leak that said aloy had as many polygons as all characters in the first game combined. If that were true, that's individual polygonal hair strands, and hollywood cg level polygon count. Maybe the geometry engine pushes above its weight or some other secret feature.

Smoke6

I think what it is, is the fact that after the dust settled from GDC and all the FUD being spread from it afterwards, people are realizing that Sony never really went into too much detail for us gamers to know wha this means for GAMERS and now the haters see this and give someone to attack now!

jason is just a messenger, and he clearly said devs have been saying this to him and y’all think he’s just pulling tales from his ass as that’s what you want it to be!

think about! What did Sony show and tell us gamers during their GDC conference that was FOR DEVS?

I’ll wait...

exactly!

so just fall back on all the hating and chill! Most y’all mad he gets his info and more reliable than anyone else has proven to have been so far!

if it’s like most of you say on how he’s vague and leaves it open to where he always has an out then this should definitely prove it!

Radical_3d

This literally means nothing. It’s a play of words. Superior in a lot of ways? Superior than the X? (Wasn’t clear) superior than the stadia? (Wasn’t clear) superior than the ps4? (Wasn’t clear). Could they mean the SSD is showing them stuff? (Probably). The truth is, MS caught them off guard with the power of the SX .
One hardware can be superior in some ways and be overall weaker at the same time. It’s what I think it’s implied here. The efficiencies in PS5 makes them punch above its weight. Is that enough to cover the power gap? No. Are good news? Yes. Should all be happy? Yes. Should you expect the PS5 match the SX? No, you’d have more luck expecting a Naughty Dog title in the SX. That’s what this is about. Brands. Sony is about having great first party and Microsoft pushing more pixels in the new Ubisoft game.

Probably.

But there's still the highly doubtful next gen horizon leak that said aloy had as many polygons as all characters in the first game combined. If that were true, that's individual polygonal hair strands, and hollywood cg level polygon count. Maybe the geometry engine pushes above its weight or some other secret feature.
There's zero chance that's true. Did they mean all characters on screen at one time?

Last edited:
One hardware can be superior in some ways and be overall weaker at the same time. It’s what I think it’s implied here. The efficiencies in PS5 makes them punch above its weight. Is that enough to cover the power gap? No. Are good news? Yes. Should all be happy? Yes. Should you expect the PS5 match the SX? No, you’d have more luck expecting a Naughty Dog title in the SX. That’s what this is about. Brands. Sony is about having great first party and Microsoft pushing more pixels in the new Ubisoft game.
That has nothing to do with the thread topic. You simply just added a bunch of nothing to your reply with fanboy nonsense. Congratulations

Gamernyc78

Banned
He'll say whatever he needs to in order to get attention. Right now there's a contingent of Sony fanboyz who will gobble up anything that says it'll be good.

Thts what it is 👀😊like the contingent with Sony's name in its mouth downplaying everything out of some weird insecurity. Remember Sony has nothing to prove, every generation thy come with the best goty games and evolve in tech and push boundaries like psvr, streaming first, shareplay, etc

Let's let tht sink in 🤗 Second fiddle doesn't ein generations or get the benefit of the doubt. Your devotion is hollow.

Last edited:
Thts what it is 👀😊like the contingent with Sony's name in its mouth downplaying everything out of some weird insecurity. Remember Sony has nothing to prove, every generation thy come with the best goty games and evolve in tech and push boundaries like psvr, streaming first, shareplay, etc

Let's let tht sink in 🤗 Second fiddle doesn't ein generations or get the benefit of the doubt. Your devotion is hollow.
Hook line and sinker.

bitbydeath

D4Rkiq7.jpg

Yep, the fact neither company is boasting to be the most powerful is because they are both incredibly close to one another.

Devs have been saying this forever.

Gamernyc78

Banned
The original Xbox was more powerful than the PS2 and the 360 was smoking the PS3 for most of the cycle. The One X is more powerful than the Pro.

There is no shame in the Series X being the more powerful machine. It shouldn’t stop you getting one, I’ll still be getting a PS5.

Smoking ps3 in what? Only multiplats for half the gen bcus Sony exclusives dominated in metas, graphics and goty winners during tht era. Ps exclusives were passing goty contenders and graphics benchmarks amongst themselves from uncharted 2 and on 😊

MaulerX

The timing of his Tweets and comments sure seem a bit suspect.

Tweets that devs told him the PS5 is the most exiting console in 20 years.

PS5 gets revealed and...

Talks that devs told him that they're disappointed because Sony didn't reveal the, shall we say, secret sauce.

There's other stuff as well. He seems to be the one to come out of the gate and say things that nobody else is saying. Weird.

GiJoint

Smoking ps3 in what? Only multiplats for half the gen bcus Sony exclusives dominated in metas, graphics and goty winners during tht era. Ps exclusives were passing goty contenders and graphics benchmarks amongst themselves from uncharted 2 and on 😊
I was there day one with the PS3 and it was a messy console those first few years, multiplats were worse, online was worse, it didn’t have anything that looked like say Gears of War at the start, heck it didnt even have any good JRPGs like the 360 did either, the original six axis controller didn’t even have rumble ffs.

The PS3 did turn itself around in the second half and the Last of Us was an amazing swansong but you’re kidding if you think it didn’t get a beating during those earlier years in the cycle. Even Cerny and co acknowledge it had issues and took those lessons to make the PS4 which has been amazing.

Last edited:

Deto

Banned

D4Rkiq7.jpg

Really, sony has no games to show why you should buy a playtation.

Sony should be there showing APU photos, better to play hardware photos than to play games.

Anyone with the minimum of intelligence realizes that if MS doesn't say "most powerful console in the world" it is because the xbox sx is not. It seems that you xbox fans love self owned.

This post of yours, if you don't have the capacity to understand, because only an idiot would not use the "most powerful console" as marketing, proves that the sx is not more powerful than the PS5.

Last edited:
I'm probably the biggest Sony fan around but there is no denying that the Xbox 360 got off to a roaring start and kicked the PS3 to the curb, atleast in its first few years where sales was not even a contest. Even developers were happy with it due to the ease of developing games for it. Nary a developer had a good word to say about PS3 apart from it had great potential, if you could understand the architecture. And therein lies one of the major issues with PS3. Difficult to build games for it, high price tag, 1 year late to launch. 3 cardinal sins that gave Xbox free reign to dominate.

Hell even Sony admitted PS3 was a mistake in terms of how it was built and its price. This is why you have the complete turnaround with PS4. A console designed by developer input, for developers and what's likely continued on with PS5's development.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
I'm probably the biggest Sony fan around but there is no denying that the Xbox 360 got off to a roaring start and kicked the PS3 to the curb, atleast in its first few years where sales was not even a contest. Even developers were happy with it due to the ease of developing games for it. Nary a developer had a good word to say about PS3 apart from it had great potential, if you could understand the architecture. And therein lies one of the major issues with PS3. Difficult to build games for it, high price tag, 1 year late to launch. 3 cardinal sins that gave Xbox free reign to dominate.

Hell even Sony admitted PS3 was a mistake in terms of how it was built and its price. This is why you have the complete turnaround with PS4. A console designed by developer input, for developers and what's likely continued on with PS5's development.

Sales was not a contest in what world? Bro you do know that Sony outsold Xbox 360 world wide almost every single month upon its release and at hundreds more right in its entirety? Sony's issue wasnt not outselling 360 bcus it did, it was that it cost so much to produce and Sony was selling it at a heavy loss. Bro I'm 42 and been following gaming forever.

Again in terms of games after Uncharted 2, Sony was wiping the floor in metas and goty winners and contenders. Xbox360 game wise only had a leg up first few years.

Last edited:

GiJoint

^ This guy has to be easily one of the most blinded fanboys around. The PS3 was perfect bro in every way is that what you want to hear? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I was there day one with the PS3 and it was a messy console those first few years, multiplats were worse, online was worse, it didn’t have anything that looked like say Gears of War at the start, heck it didnt even have any good JRPGs like the 360 did either, the original six axis controller didn’t even have rumble ffs.

The PS3 did turn itself around in the second half and the Last of Us was an amazing swansong but you’re kidding if you think it didn’t get a beating during those earlier years in the cycle. Even Cerny and co acknowledge it had issues and took those lessons to make the PS4 which has been amazing.
This second half theory is bs. Ps3 had exclusives that looked just as good if boy better starting in March 2007, just a few months after launch. Motorstorm came out in March, heavenly sword came out in August while ratchet and uncharted were in October and November.

And that was that. No ms exclusive ever took the graphics crown after that. Mgs4 winning gamespot's graphics of the year award over gears 2 and crisis warhead in 2008 upset a lot of people back then but mgs4 was in a league of its own despite the lower res. Then kz2 hit in Feb 2009 and the rest is history.

The ps3 did have its share of bad ports but they had goty contenders going all the way back to 2007 and 2008. Mgs4 won several gotys including right here twice. Littlebigplanet was also a 2008 release. Had gow2 been a ps3 title, it could've easily won goty in2007 going up against bioshock and mass effect.

Sony's first party has been on a roll since 2005. Gow and sotc started a run of goty winners and goty contenders that is still going strong today. I'm not buying this theory that Sony only got good after November 2009.

GiJoint

This second half theory is bs. Ps3 had exclusives that looked just as good if boy better starting in March 2007, just a few months after launch. Motorstorm came out in March, heavenly sword came out in August while ratchet and uncharted were in October and November.

And that was that. No ms exclusive ever took the graphics crown after that. Mgs4 winning gamespot's graphics of the year award over gears 2 and crisis warhead in 2008 upset a lot of people back then but mgs4 was in a league of its own despite the lower res. Then kz2 hit in Feb 2009 and the rest is history.

The ps3 did have its share of bad ports but they had goty contenders going all the way back to 2007 and 2008. Mgs4 won several gotys including right here twice. Littlebigplanet was also a 2008 release. Had gow2 been a ps3 title, it could've easily won goty in2007 going up against bioshock and mass effect.

Sony's first party has been on a roll since 2005. Gow and sotc started a run of goty winners and goty contenders that is still going strong today. I'm not buying this theory that Sony only got good after November 2009.
But I never said the exclusives weren’t bad,
PS3 exclusives were amazing but that doesn’t hide the fact console was a mess before and after launch and was a tricky thing to develop for. Carry on.

Sales was not a contest in what world? Bro you do know that Sony outsold Xbox 360 world wide almost every single month upon its release and at hundreds more right in its entirety? Sony's issue wasnt not outselling 360 bcus it did, it was that it cost so much to produce and Sony was selling it at a heavy loss. Bro I'm 42 and been following gaming forever.

Again in terms of games after Uncharted 2, Sony was wiping the floor in metas and goty winners and contenders. Xbox360 game wise only had a leg up first few years.
Shocking that you say you're 42 but incapable of understanding the fact that Xbox 360 led in sales until 2014 when PS3 overtook it having launched a full year before the PS3 in November 2005.
I am fully aware that PS3 caught up to and eventually outsold the 360 in total sales. That I don't deny and its fact.
The fact is the Xbox 360 was a formidable console and the only console they produced that gave Sony a real run for their money. Granted alot of PS3 faults was self inflicted by Sony.

Not only did MS start to eat into Playstation's userbase built up from PS2 but they also started to produce compelling games which were enormously popular in their own right.
  • Halo 3.
  • Crackdown.
  • Gears of War 2
  • Alan Wake
  • Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2
  • Shadow Complex
  • Dance Central
  • Forza Motorsport 3

I have alot of friends that switched to 360 during those years because it was cheaper and graphically games were cleaner especially multiplatforms.
I owned 2 Xbox 360's at the start of that generation. So the 360 may not have wiped the floor with the PS3 but it certainly was stiff competition for Sony that forced them to rethink how they engineer consoles.

Its thanks to MS that we have developer friendly Sony consoles that don't cost an arm and a leg and that are dedicated to games. A lesson MS learned the hard way with Xbox One.

GiJoint

Shocking that you say you're 42 but incapable of understanding the fact that Xbox 360 led in sales until 2014 when PS3 overtook it having launched a full year before the PS3 in November 2005.
I am fully aware that PS3 caught up to and eventually outsold the 360 in total sales. That I don't deny and its fact.
The fact is the Xbox 360 was a formidable console and the only console they produced that gave Sony a real run for their money. Granted alot of PS3 faults was self inflicted by Sony.

Not only did MS start to eat into Playstation's userbase built up from PS2 but they also started to produce compelling games which were enormously popular in their own right.
  • Halo 3.
  • Crackdown.
  • Gears of War 2
  • Alan Wake
  • Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2
  • Shadow Complex
  • Dance Central
  • Forza Motorsport 3

I have alot of friends that switched to 360 during those years because it was cheaper and graphically games were cleaner especially multiplatforms.
I owned 2 Xbox 360's at the start of that generation. So the 360 may not have wiped the floor with the PS3 but it certainly was stiff competition for Sony that forced them to rethink how they engineer consoles.

Its thanks to MS that we have developer friendly Sony consoles that don't cost an arm and a leg and that are dedicated to games. A lesson MS learned the hard way with Xbox One.
Yeah I was one of those. That PS3 launch left me so disappointed so I shelled out and got a 360 to join it, and even though it sounded like a jet taking off, it was some great gaming years. The guys behind it as well were cool too, remember that dude coming on stage with his fake GTA4 tattoo? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Then of course Kinect and Don Matrrick appeared and Xbox got into some dark days man while Sony resurfaced.

Last edited:
Top Bottom