• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb: Devs Fawning over PS5. Haven't heard the same praise for XSX, but heard nothing bad

Bryank75

Banned
Basically every inkling of information from third party sources about the PlayStation 5 has been bloated and inaccurate, and not until real information came into the fray from Cerny himself did the disappointment of the system set in.

I just don't buy any of this BS, people have been trying to help this system along with handicaps and unrealistic praise since the first "leaks" started to surface.
Well the demo we saw from Unreal blew anything that Xbox has shown out of the water... Spencer can talk the talk but he has yet to walk the walk!

Last edited:

DonF

Don't believe it. Both are basically PCs. Both will be equally easy to develop for. All these pre launch noise doesn't matter.
As a Sony fan, I believe the same.

Ms is a software company, they have the console with most raw power this gen.. Then why are devs praising Sony? Both consoles are very similar and I doubt sony has way better tools and documentation at this point. It would be a huge show of incompetence by Ms if this were true and I doubt it.

Maybe Sony has less restrictions with their dev tools. Cerny did talk about "time to triangle" being super important.

geordiemp

I don’t understand the relevancy though. We don’t know for sure if the demo can’t run just as well on XsX, right?

Unless I misunderstood the point, which is possible.

If the point was just “next gen games are going to look great” then yeah, the UE5 demo definitely proved that

OK, lets go back 6 years to the start of this gen, read below, large API abstraction layers are slower and inefficient but good for BC.

Now I am sure DX12 + super duper ultimate is better than DX11, but the concept is the same, Ps5 will just do it, XSX may have more horsepower but it will waste clock cycles on abstraction layers.

You haveheard this before from BGs BGs and also that Crytek engineer rant.

An interesting article from beggining of current gen on abstraction layers....by Metro dev. Yes its been improved DX 11 to DX12 to whatever, but abstraction still costs....

Oles Shishkovstov: Let's put it that way - we have seen scenarios where a single CPU core was fully loaded just by issuing draw-calls on Xbox One (and that's surely on the 'mono' driver with several fast-path calls utilised). Then, the same scenario on PS4, it was actually difficult to find those draw-calls in the profile graphs, because they are using almost no time and are barely visible as a result.

In general - I don't really get why they choose DX11 as a starting point for the console. It's a console! Why care about some legacy stuff at all? On PS4, most GPU commands are just a few DWORDs written into the command buffer, let's say just a few CPU clock cycles. On Xbox One it easily could be one million times slower because of all the bookkeeping the API does.

Last edited:
Well the demo we saw from Unreal blew anything that Xbox has shown out of the water... Spencer and talk the talk but he has yet to walk the walk!
What Xbox showed (and they even stated this) was overflow from what they have in their pipeline, and they're going to be showing new things even outside of their main show every single month up until release.

They haven't even played their hand yet.

I guess we will have a much cleaner picture in July. If nothing MS shows in July matches anything Sony shows next week then we’ll know there is some substance to all this. Even though there will be more to the next-gen leap than just what we see in streams

I feel like I'm watching a schoolyard fight over which superhero is more powerful, but it's adult men.

This happens in numerous threads, all day, every day. This is actually tame, in comparison.

REE Machine

Banned

Hold on.....

giphy.gif

Shin

Banned
We have though. Matt on purple site for example.

What some people don’t want to accept is that this ain’t Mickey Mouse league where everyone gets a prize. Devs can talk and praise what they want. They don’t have to reserve praise for the other box just so fanboys won’t feel left out.
Who is we, better yet who are you?
Asking since you got triggered by what I said, probably no one relevant but it never hurts to ask.
The almighty Matt which people keep sourcing works for Google and has been for about 2-3 years now so why would he have a dev-kit?

They are called professionals because there's a code of conduct, Grubb is doing his job because that is what he's paid to do.
For consumers this "news" doesn't mean jackshit, except create more heated arguments based on shit they have no knowledge of to begin with.

a581170be4.png

Last edited:

Dory16

Banned
Cerny has always put devs first. He did with the ps4 so it makes sense he's doing it again with the ps5.

It's all well and good having the most powerful, least expensive, coolest looking or whatever console. At the end of the day, as a console manufacturer your customers aren't the gamers, the customers are the devs
Learn the difference between business partners and customers.

ToadMan

A limiting factor has been throughput to a degree, but even a multiplier of only a few times would have completely alleviated this problem. So with that said we're left with a situation where the throughput on both systems has greatly and by an order of magnitude exceeded the requirements to solve this problem.

Star Citizen is a great example of this, the game can't be played with HDD's, it stutters and locks up. Even an SSD with R/W speeds around 300MB/s completely removes this problem and those worlds and universe are basically limitless.

Star Citizen is a PC game thing - anyway it's not relevant to consoles.

Bryank75

Banned
You sorta have to compliment the weaker console. Remember the start of last gen when devs talked about the cloud for the xbox one and the unlimited potential it brought? Idk why it’s that way.
Why? Mostly cause Xbox leadership lied, is my guess. They had their fans running around shouting about 'Azure' and 'the cloud' for years while they didn't have anything to play....

You sorta have to compliment the weaker console. Remember the start of last gen when devs talked about the cloud for the xbox one and the unlimited potential it brought? Idk why it’s that way.
When things are going great or something is great people really don't need to tell you they are, that's kind of a fundamental reality in all facets of life.

This is coming to mind right now.

5ca2adf1b8cff4ed7545c6fa

Star Citizen is a PC game thing - anyway it's not relevant to consoles.
What do you think these consoles are? They're x86 semi-custom PC's.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Imagine if the PS5 show doesn't go ahead on June 4th, nothing happens and no word is given, people speculate wildly as whats "gone wrong". Then we get to July and there is no Xbox showing, we all start to get antsy and really worried that nothing is coming or something terrible has happened behind the scenes to both companies and then in August its revealed:

"The Playstation Series Xbox 5X"

fE7RpzD.jpg

FUSION!

Then we could stop all this pointless willy-waving.

We'd just team up and rise to hate the next thing that is closest to the thing we love.

The more similar a product is to the product we love, the more we hate it.

turtlepowa

Banned
I feel like I'm watching a schoolyard fight over which superhero is more powerful, but it's adult men.
That`s basically how fanboyism works, men act like children. So many topics, so many words, but in the end it's so simple:
"My plastic toy is better than yours".

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned

Here was another tweet, when replying about yesterday's comments from devs that "PS5 architecture is best ever."

It would be cool if we get could get specifics. He says he hasn't heard the same thing about XsX, but what exactly has he heard? Who has he heard it from?

Pretty much just the same smoke and mirrors from Sony side. All this guys "inside" info is Sony related lol.

I just want to see the launch lineup and gameplay. All this hype is only catering the guys still justifying the ssd is more important than the gpu.

Dory16

Banned
I have. Now you.
If you think devs are the bulk of the 110 millions who bought the PS4 you are mistaken.
Hint: the devs made business with Sony to sell you something that will work through Sony's product.
Hint 2: Sony have their own devs.

Smh.

Vawn

Banned
What Xbox showed (and they even stated this) was overflow from what they have in their pipeline, and they're going to be showing new things even outside of their main show every single month up until release.

They haven't even played their hand yet.

Welcome back. Have a nice vacation?

They hyped their last showing up quite a bit. But that was kind of a disaster, so now they haven't shown their hand? I feel like the last decade from Xbox has been, "just wait a bit longer and THEN you'll see something amazing." Since Phil took over, this has pretty much been his go-to line.

WeAreWaiting.gif

ethomaz

Banned
Pretty much just the same smoke and mirrors from Sony side. All this guys "inside" info is Sony related lol.

I just want to see the launch lineup and gameplay. All this hype is only catering the guys still justifying the ssd is more important than the gpu.
From what I remember VenturaBeat was always biased toward Xbox.

Entroyp

They way I see it the PS5 was designed primarily to make devs happy, and the XsX was primarily designed to make hardcore gamers and TimDog happy.

Both are great designs on their own way.

Last edited:

Dory16

Banned
Who knew variable clocks were the keys to make devs "fall in love"? And those CPU "throttling" reports from Digital Foundry are probably how they were asking the PS5 on a date.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Let's see their actual gaming output before we jump to any conclusions about their worthiness to comment eh?

Still you're gonna need to do better than a bunch of MS devs in this thread - you're an experienced console warrior, you must know that.
Apart from that Coalition and Ninja Theory, they were all third party. And who says Jeff didnt talk to some Naughty Dog devs.

ethomaz

Banned
Who knew variable clocks were the keys to make devs "fall in love"? And those CPU "throttling" reports from Digital Foundry are probably how they were asking the PS5 on a date.
DF CPU throttling report? I missed it or maybe they never reported that lol

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
It's not hard to praise console for it's developer friendliness when PS3 and down the memory lane has been tough to program to. Since MS has very high abstraction layer with Direct X, I don't think you can praise new console, when the old one took exactly same kod and run it. But good news to devs. I have been in development of Kingdom Come Deliverance and I have to say both companies did their fucking job. Reminds me coding for PC. I am obviously talking about PS4 and XB1... XB1 is still easier for me, from what I can tell, but that's just because I am familiar with Direct X.

ethomaz

Banned
It's not hard to praise console for it's developer friendliness when PS3 and down the memory lane has been tough to program to. Since MS has very high abstraction layer with Direct X, I don't think you can praise new console, when the old one took exactly same kod and run it. But good news to devs. I have been in development of Kingdom Come Deliverance and I have to say both companies did their fucking job. Reminds me coding for PC. I am obviously talking about PS4 and XB1... XB1 is still easier for me, from what I can tell, but that's just because I am familiar with Direct X.
Devs said PS4 is easier to develop than XB1 too before and after the launch of the consoles.
Maybe that changed with XB1 X that has a similar Arch as PS4.

Last edited:

oldergamer

Well the demo we saw from Unreal blew anything that Xbox has shown out of the water... Spencer can talk the talk but he has yet to walk the walk!
This again?

First look up hellblade 2 footage that was realtime and will also be using unreal 5. Unreal engine is a multiplatform engine. How many first party studios for sony are using it vs how many for MS? Ms has been using unreal almost in all first party studios.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Devs said PS4 is easier to develop than XB1 too.
Sure, it depends on familiarity you know, when you are not familiar with development environment, it's harder to pick one up. Basically 90% of code use in that game is same, that's code beyond the Cry engine, but like if you know are familiard with Direct X and not familiar with....fuck what it was called that PS4 API libvm(??), then from your amateur view, it's like "well, I can pick up the XB1 right away...but PS4, I am not so sure". I hope you understand what I meant : ) I did some works on the menus, so don't expect for me to have some deep dive into which console is better in development : )

Top Bottom