• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb: Devs Fawning over PS5. Haven't heard the same praise for XSX, but heard nothing bad

Colt and Dealer
vIt6Gmj.gif
I could see those two guys actually doing that if Microsoft somehow manages to stumble the Series X somehow. 😭

FranXico

1. Confidential
2. Sony is by far the market leader. Look at all the marketing deals and timed exclusivity. They weren't worried about burning bridges
They spoke confidentially precisely to avoid burning bridges.
And there is more to politics than market share. People seriously underestimate how much influence Microsoft has on many, many industries, including gaming.

Last edited:
Some things, but we just might be left with a lot of questions unanswered as Sony's approach is that of a turtle race.

I hope they show the actual console, AAA true 4K 30-60fps games with HDR and Raytracing, Haptic feedback, Virtual Reality, New 3-D sound thing, services, ,more info on backwards compatibility,

I am excited, but not gonna ride the hype train.

Bryank75

Banned
I agree, and all this ssd talk to me seems like the same thing. Until they show us of course.
Yeah, most of what we are saying here is empty talk till we see the end product... games.
At the end of the day, I'm sure both sides and people on the fence will be happy with their purchases, it's clear Xbox management has improved things a lot over the early years but I still think you could do with some more great exclusives....

Then we should all be happy... but we all know we will continue to argue cause that's the only dance we know.

Dory16

Banned
Source please because they didn’t said that devs have CPU throttling that in that article.
From the guy that said the PS3 outsold the 360 in its first year and that his source is "public knowledge". You're a phony Sir.
The throttling stuff has been discussed too often on this forum and I know that you have the "it's not throttling", it's using "locked profiles" answer ready. Maybe another time.

bitbydeath

My dude, I think you may be a little mistaken. Or maybe I’m mistaken. I dunno anymore

Streaming is only made possible by the speed of the SSD, without it the loading of such large textures in such a small timeframe wouldn’t be possible. The assets would instead need to be loaded into memory prior to the game commencing.

Streaming is only made possible by the speed of the SSD, without it the loading of such large textures in such a small timeframe wouldn’t be possible. The assets would instead need to be loaded into memory prior to the game commencing.
Which is kind of the point, it alleviates the need for a higher capacity of total system RAM.

This SSD stuff isn't some game changer, it's just an ancillary device to assist memory management in wake of lower capacity.

Last edited:

NullZ3r0

Banned
Sony have taken a bit different aproach from MS. Their ultimage goal was not winning the TF fanboy war, but designing a console that really changes the gaming development enviroment with Speed as the center of definition of what the PS5 is all about, with unique custom level decisions that completely removes the need to make typical tricky "gamey" stuff that plagued gaming developers for decades.

It is a platform that really brings a whole New perspective when developing a game.
So we're back to the "brute force vs. efficient" argument. LOL

Vasto

Third party devs, why would they want to burn bridges with Microsoft?

They wont be burning bridges by just saying the PS5 is really good system and they like it alot because there is nothing wrong with saying that. The dev behind Scorn and Bright Memory Infinite both talked about working with Series X.

Here is the World War Z dev who was asked about the next gen consoles and talks about working with Direct X 12 Ultimate features.

Maybe they are under NDA until after the event but I just need more details to get excited.

bitbydeath

Which is kind of the point, it alleviates the need for a higher capacity of total system RAM.

This SSD stuff isn't some game changer, it's just an ancillary device to assist memory management in wake of lower capacity.

The whole conversation is about discrediting the SSD over the GPU and I have said that the SSD is doing one thing the rest of the system including the GPU isn’t built for.

True or false... It's amazing how sony put all BS about TFs below the carpet. No one is talking about it anymore outside Xbox community.
The Sony community is still talking about it and I'd wager at a higher frequency than the Xbox community, the difference is now they are trying to diminish instead of bolster it because their console is now confirmed to have less..

FranXico

They wont be burning bridges by just saying the PS5 is really good system and they like it alot because there is nothing wrong with saying that. The dev behind Scorn and Bright Memory Infinite both talked about working with Series X.

Here is the World War Z dev who was asked about the next gen consoles and talks about working with Direct X 12 Ultimate features.

Maybe they are under NDA until after the event but I just need more details to get excited.
Right, the post above also reminded me of the ever present NDAs.

Dory16

Banned
And why did the 110 million people buy a Sony console or a Microsoft, Sega, Nintendo console for that matter?

Games. If you have shit games, your system sells fuck all. Then when you have the install base, 3rd parties will work with you.

Don't reply though, you'll be over your quota of two posts a day

Oh I see. if you have shit games you sell 50 million, not 110 and 10 million people subscribe to your service. When are you starting your gaming business? Seems like you understand the ins and outs.

I Think I said what needed to be said, I am not going to engage in another PS5 SSD praise miracle sauce thread. Peace out. Take whatever Jeff Grubb said with a grain of salt. All will be clear on June 4. I am confident Sony will deliver.

The whole conversation is about discrediting the SSD over the GPU and I have said that the SSD is doing one thing the rest of the system including the GPU isn’t built for.
All the SSD is doing is taking on a load which the memory would typically handle, that's it. If we could do it and it was cost efficient we would get rid of storage devices entirely and everything would be stored in RAM.

That's just not realistic so the SSD comes into the fray operating as an ancillary device to assist the memory.

bitbydeath

All the SSD is doing is taking on a load which the memory would typically handle, that's it. If we could do it and it was cost efficient we would get rid of storage devices entirely and everything would be stored in RAM.

That's just not realistic so the SSD comes into the fray operating as an ancillary device to assist the memory.

Yes. I agree. But do you agree that without the SSD that 8K graphics wouldn’t be capable?

It doesn’t matter that more memory could do it, the point is with the current specs only the SSD can do it.

Yes. I agree. But do you agree that without the SSD that 8K graphics wouldn’t be capable?

It doesn’t matter that more memory could do it, the point is with the current specs only the SSD can do it.
No, because changes could be made elsewhere in memory management to where the RAM itself could offset the load. It would make development more difficult no doubt but it absolutely could be done.

This isn't some type of magical device like you guys make it out to be, it's just REALLY slow RAM with a large capacity.

BigLee74

You have been reading GAF, you must of noticed the seismic shift since that demo ?

That is what is called stage 5, acceptance. Right after bargaining (hey, that SSD is alright). 😉

Can't wait until the actual games are out and proper comparisons can be made between the systems.

Shin

Banned
I hope they show the actual console, AAA true 4K 30-60fps games with HDR and Raytracing, Haptic feedback, Virtual Reality, New 3-D sound thing, services, ,more info on backwards compatibility,

I am excited, but not gonna ride the hype train.
I as well, really curious as to the console's design (if we get to see it).
They nailed the color scheme IMO though that's subjective, I am happy with the white/blue and black.

Remember the PS3 wss more powerful than the 360, yet games usually looked the same or performed better on 360.

We're talking about how the system is designed and how well its design3d for developers to get the most out of it.
The PS3 was a convoluted unfamiliar completely custom architecture that no one had ever worked with before, and the 360 was PowerPC which many developers were familiar with.

Both the Series X and PlayStation 5 are x86 which developers are the most familiar and skilled at working on. Your weird comparison doesn't logically bear out.

Gamerguy84

Cerny is a dev so it makes sense. He builds for devs. What are we talking about though, the architecture plus the software tools used to build games?

I believe both are extremely good pieces of hardware to work with honestly.

bitbydeath

No, because changes could be made elsewhere in memory management to where the RAM itself could offset the load. It would make development more difficult no doubt but it absolutely could be done.

This isn't some type of magical device like you guys make it out to be, it's just REALLY slow RAM with a large capacity.

There’s no magic but near instant streaming of 8K textures is pretty incredible in my books.

This cannot be emphasized enough. The SSD has a new function of being used as slow RAM. Both XsX and PS5 have achieved the bandwidth of the SSD to be close to the RAM bandwidth of of Original Xbox in 2001, Nintendo Gamecube, and Playstation 2.

More devs with no names and no actual quotes. :messenger_pensive:

Like the guy who claimed that differences between the two were "staggering".

Nobody is going to give out names since there's a possibility that they could hurt their contacts.

Either you choose to believe this or you not. But at least it's not coming from some random PasteBin.

geordiemp

That is what is called stage 5, acceptance. Right after bargaining (hey, that SSD is alright). 😉

Can't wait until the actual games are out and proper comparisons can be made between the systems.

There wont be for a long time.

You will have many cross gen games made for Jaguar and HDD that look like all current games with more resolution / frame rate and you wont see shit, and they will look like current gen games on a high end PC.

Then there will be actual next gen games made for zen 2 and SSD that are a step above that will look infinitely better (go watch UE5 demo for what high assets do).

I think Sony will show everyone what its about next week, there will be no debate.

Last edited:
Top Bottom