• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb: Devs Fawning over PS5. Haven't heard the same praise for XSX, but heard nothing bad

bitbydeath

This cannot be emphasized enough. The SSD has a new function of being used as slow RAM. Both XsX and PS5 have achieved the bandwidth of the SSD to be close to the RAM bandwidth of of Original Xbox in 2001, Nintendo Gamecube, and Playstation 2.

The unreal demo was said to be possible because of the SSD’s SRAM. SRAM is anything but slow.

HeadsUp7Up

I’m just curious why I should care about this? “Oh yay these developers love the PS5, and these love the XSX!” That does nothing for me, are we this starved for information or is it because we’re all bored and on lockdown?
(Maybe I just gave both correct answers)

I’m just ready for Thursday to show me games and a price point because that’s what really matters. Well that and making sure these things don’t sound like vacuum cleaners.

I’m just curious why I should care about this? “Oh yay these developers love the PS5, and these love the XSX!” That does nothing for me, are we this starved for information or is it because we’re all bored and on lockdown?

I’m just ready for Thursday to show me games and a price point because that’s what really matters. Well that and making sure these things don’t sound like vacuum cleaners.

Yup. Rest is just shitty noise. In the end its about what you want and what appeals to you in terms of gaming.

Peace out from this thread.

So many salty little children in here. All over a toy. LoL

Your profile picture explains it the best.

giphy.gif

ToadMan

They way I see it the PS5 was designed primarily to make devs happy, and the XsX was primarily designed to make hardcore gamers and TimDog happy.

Both are great designs on their own way.

Hardcore gamers who don't like games judging by the lack of 1st Party stuff for it....

bitbydeath

The bandwidth capability of these SSD's is comparable to that of the system memory from the 6th console generation.

It's incredibly slow.

As an example Microsoft's actual RAM in the Series X has over 100x the bandwidth of Sony's SSD.

As slow as you say it is the fact still remains that bit of hardware is the only part capable of delivering 8K graphics.

Hey so we can expect better performing 3rd party games on PS5 and 60 fps games with RT on PS5?

Thanks to magically SSD created by Cerny.

SSD all i need for my PC. And all these years i used to think CPU,GPU and memory speed and bandwidth are also important lol. Silly me.

Last edited:

ToadMan

Apart from that Coalition and Ninja Theory, they were all third party. And who says Jeff didnt talk to some Naughty Dog devs.

Um... Jeff himself... perhaps you didn't read the actual twitter thread...

Still apart from those 1st party devs, and the ones who are making MS exclusives, your sources are great! All zero of them.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm definitely getting excited about what they'll be showing on Thursday, and even more excited about the kinds of shit we'll be seeing like 2-3 years into the new generation.

ToadMan

To be fair, he's similar to the ex Kotaku Jason guy. Biased game journalist are a thing.

OT, Most of the praise has been from Sony devs. And the guy said PS5 dev kits have been out longer.

I do wonder if the potential Lockhart existence may have soured some devs opinion on Xbox since developing XSX and Lockhart will require more work.

In the end, I have no doubt MS has built an amazing system and most powerful with the XSX and DF were highly impressed with it.

Well a quick look at his youtube content seems to suggest he does stuff across gaming systems. That's all I have to go on really but I don't see much evidence of bias unless you consider playing games on various platforms a bias...

Airbus Jr

Banned
How exactly is saying that dumb? It's an inarguable fact.

Xbox

kLMINUQ.png

PlayStation 2

cRfimrD.png

GameCube

YUt4ATU.png
I was talking about this statement of yours

"The bandwidth capability of these SSD's is comparable to that of the system memory from the 6th console generation."

Last edited:

PocoJoe

Banned

Does nothing for you? So you will not buy either of the console?

just think about it:

scenario 1:

devs say that console A is the best and easiest system in the history to make games to

scenario 2:

Devs say that console A is the shittiest and most difficult system in the history to make games to

So, as a gamer if you are planning to buy console A, which scenario will have the highest chance to lead into great games?

AKA if devs really like the console A and are really happy + excited about it = we as a gamers should be happy and care about it, because it is much better starting point that leads into good games than scenario 2

INC

guess we'll see how it all comes together next week.

as long as HZD2 is 60fps, and looks as good as expected, then for me i dont care about specs after that.

the big decider for these things will be a 3rd party game like cyberpunk, once DF do a xbx and ps5 comparison, thats when the fireworks really start

It would be nice if they explain what the differences in architecture are.

As a software engineer I know that "architecture" could mean a lot of different things depending on what you want describe.

As far as I see the PS5 and XSX share almost 90% of hardware. They will also be very close to PC architecture.

It is not like the PS360 era that had more exotic hardware.

But this kind of FUD is expect every generation transition.

We only need to wait a few weeks to the pendulum to move back to Microsoft and we hear more about their games.

Beelzebubs

I just want to jump in with a car analogy when comparing Series X and PS5. The car with higher horsepower isn't neccessarily faster, it's how it's engineered to utilize it's Horsepower/Torque that matters.

"The unreal demo was said to be possible because of the SSD’s SRAM. SRAM is anything but slow. "

The bandwidth capability of these SSD's is comparable to that of the system memory from the 6th console generation.
And it is...

The bandwidth capability of these SSD's are 2.4GB/s and 5.5Gb/s respectively... And the bandwidth from the system memory for the Xbox is 6.4GB/s, PS2 3.2GB/s and the GameCube is 2.6GB/s...

Star Citizen is a great example of this, the game can't be played with HDD's, it stutters and locks up. Even an SSD with R/W speeds around 300MB/s completely removes this problem and those worlds and universe are basically limitless.
unreal engine 5 demo environment hollywood film quality assets surpassed star citizen. The press also claimed epic noted that even sata 550MB/s ssds were insufficient for that demo.
As an example Microsoft's actual RAM in the Series X has over 100x the bandwidth of Sony's SSD.
Yes, but sony has comparably good main ram bandwidth too.

What the ssd enables, iirc, is tens of gigabytes of assets to be used without overwhelming the limited 16GB ram amount.
Sweeney: Sony’s new PlayStation 5 is a remarkably balanced device, not only the GPU power, but also an order of magnitude increase in storage bandwidth, which makes it possible to not just render this kind of detail, but stream it in dynamically as the player is moving through the world. That’s going to be critical to rendering the kind of detail in bigger open-world games. It’s one thing to render everything that can fit in memory, but another thing to have a world that might be tens of gigabytes in size.

Faster SSD, Better I/O, higher clocked GPU, non-split approach to memory.

Digital Foundry and other devs have said they can get more out of a quicker GPU with less CUs vs the wide approach that MS is going with.

Yes, Xbox Series X is more powerful, but it just seems like devs can tap into the PlayStation's power easier.
Well that would be a first in gaming history.

Airbus Jr

Banned
And it is...

The bandwidth capability of these SSD's are 2.4GB/s and 5.5Gb/s respectively... And the bandwidth from the system memory for the Xbox is 6.4GB/s, PS2 3.2GB/s and the GameCube is 2.6GB/s...
So this isnt correct acording to you?

Last edited:
I just want to jump in with a car analogy when comparing Series X and PS5. The car with higher horsepower isn't neccessarily faster, it's how it's engineered to utilize it's Horsepower/Torque that matters.
Yeah, well a 350 ported to a 383 is more powerful than a 350 and will give a car more horsepower and torque.

Whatchu got now?

You've either lost the point entirely at this juncture or you never had a grasp on it to begin with, I'm not sure which.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
This has to be the dumbest post i read today

Your fanboy level is beyond delutional at this point
Well, but what about it is "fanboy drivel" it's true....

Yeah, well a 350 ported to a 383 is more powerful than a 350 and will give a car more horsepower and torque.

Whatchu got now?
Cars and IT comparison is stupid, because in card aerodynamic, etc play a huge role, so I am not sure how it in any shame or form is comparable to IT solutions...

When PS4 HDD has 55MB/s rating of speed of HDD, it fits this...

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Um... Jeff himself... perhaps you didn't read the actual twitter thread...

Still apart from those 1st party devs, and the ones who are making MS exclusives, your sources are great! All zero of them.
Erwan LeCun, co-founder of Ape Tribe Games
Joel Baker, Technical Director at Hinterland Games
Gennadiy Korol, Director of Technology at Moon Studios (Moon is now making a multi-platform game)
Kevin Floyer-Lea, Chief Technology Officer at Rebellion
Alexandre Sabourin, Team Lead at Snowed In Studios
Richard Geldreich, worked at Space X, Valve and Ensemble
Chris Grannel, ex-Sony first party dev who worked on Formula One Series, Wipeout HD:Fury and Killzone 2 for Playstation.

Lots of third-parties who are not making Xbox exclusives and dont have any deal with Microsoft.

Airbus Jr

Banned

Whatchu got now?

You've either lost the point entirely at this juncture or you never had a grasp on it to begin with, I'm not sure which.
Werent youre the one here saying todays SSD are comparable to 6th gen console

Last edited:
You have to add fuel as OS/APIs and pilots as developers to your analogy.

The PS3 as a nightmare but talented developers with enough time were able to achieve great success.

Werent youre the one saying todays SSD are comparable to 6th gen console
You're clearly trying to muddle up what I've said, and what I said is fundamentally clear.

These SSD's are being used as RAM, as far as RAM goes they are incredibly slow and operate with the comparable bandwidth potential of the system memory from the 6th generation of consoles.

Please try to understand what is being said to you.

ToadMan

They both have a single RAM pool.

No they dont. Xsex has "gpu optimal" ram of 10gb - that has a transfer rate of 560Gb/s. The CPU and anything else that accesses ram gets 332GB/s. That has to be managed.

Sony has 16Gb of 448Gb/s ram. Same for all components.

No specific information about caches yet.

No they dont. Xsex has "gpu optimal" ram of 10gb - that has a transfer rate of 560Gb/s. The CPU and anything else that accesses ram gets 332GB/s. That has to be managed.

Sony has 16Gb of 448Gb/s ram. Same for all components.

No specific information about caches yet.
Yes they do, it's a unified pool with 560GB/s and 336GB/s DACS.

Both systems have a unified pool of memory.

Airbus Jr

Banned
You're clearly trying to muddle up what I've said, and what I said is fundamentally clear.

These SSD's are being used as RAM, as far as RAM goes they are incredibly slow and operate with the comparable bandwidth potential of the system memory from the 6th generation of consoles.

Please try to understand what is being said to you.
No you cant use SSD as RAM. Because it is not volatile so data written in SSD again needs to be erased for deallocation of memory... ... Sure, as a HDD can beused to emulate RAM. But even SDD are much faster than HDD, today speed and performance of real RAMcannot be meet with SDD FLASH memory devices.

KjG.gif

It never ends.

:messenger_winking_tongue:

Surely you see that you are also part of it, and that it’s happening on both sides, just like that Ras post you GIF replied to talking about salty children. Just don’t pretend it’s one way traffic

That is what is called stage 5, acceptance. Right after bargaining (hey, that SSD is alright). 😉

what the hell are you talking about?

Last edited:

Bankai

Probably because PS4 is so much more popular than XBox One, developers can't wait to get that PS5 moneyz when it sells out. I really think everybody is still betting on Playstation to crush it nextgen and I can't blame em. Xbox need to prove itself, after such a weak performance with Xbox One. PS4 has got nothing to prove, it will just sell like bonkers.
Also, I really think the UE5 presentation says it all; the insane SSD speed (differential) of the PS5 DOES matter and devs seems to agree.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Although fast, SSDs do not eliminate the need for Random Access Memory (RAM) local to the CPU. One reason is that at present, DDR (e.g., DDR3, DDR4, etc.) is faster at present and may continue to improve along with SSD rates. (DDR stands for Double Data Rate, and is a type of memory used for a CPU's RAM.)

Although fast, SSDs do not eliminate the need for Random Access Memory (RAM) local to the CPU. One reason is that at present, DDR (e.g., DDR3, DDR4, etc.) is faster at present and may continue to improve along with SSD rates. (DDR stands for Double Data Rate, and is a type of memory used for a CPU's RAM.)
The whole purpose of the addition of the SSD is to act as ancillary RAM because it's too expensive to raise actual memory capacity to the values needed to solve the same problems.

You've gone way off course and I'm pretty much done with this line of discussion.

ToadMan

All the SSD is doing is taking on a load which the memory would typically handle, that's it. If we could do it and it was cost efficient we would get rid of storage devices entirely and everything would be stored in RAM.

That's just not realistic so the SSD comes into the fray operating as an ancillary device to assist the memory.

You're so close to getting there, and then you fall short at the end....

Much like MS - they can only think of the SSD as a HDD with fast access times too.

Exodia

Banned
Faster SSD, Better I/O, higher clocked GPU, non-split approach to memory.

Digital Foundry and other devs have said they can get more out of a quicker GPU with less CUs vs the wide approach that MS is going with.

Yes, Xbox Series X is more powerful, but it just seems like devs can tap into the PlayStation's power easier.

Actually DF said the opposite. They completely debunked this.

Top Bottom