• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb: Devs Fawning over PS5. Haven't heard the same praise for XSX, but heard nothing bad

I think he’s awesome. I don’t think every word out or his mouth should be treated as a holy grail but he’s an amazing engineer/designer.

He did have that “supercharged PC architecture” quote, which is fine, but we gotta remember that just like Phil these guys are trying to sell consoles

I think he's probably more reliable than Phil when it comes to the actual technology of the system. Phil Spenser is more like Jim Ryan if that makes any sense.

ToadMan

Have you listened to the PS5 conference, it was creepy by my standards, such a soft sounding voice and well...I find his "asmr" presentation creepy, I don't like this type of voice at all.

In my experience, the cleverest guy in the room is the one you wouldn't want to hang out for a beer with.

Then again that's often also true of the dumbest guy in the room.

I drink alone quite a bit...

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
That's because Phil is not a hardware engineer, he's the executive and the front man just like Jim. The only difference is Sony puts Cerny on stage to explain his/his teams creations.

So now youre moving on another goalpost by insinuating that Cerny somehow took credit from another people

Waiting for your next nasty moves buddy

Last edited:

Mozza

I just want to jump in with a car analogy when comparing Series X and PS5. The car with higher horsepower isn't neccessarily faster, it's how it's engineered to utilize it's Horsepower/Torque that matters.

Or if the console you happen to prefer is a little weaker on paper, you have to find other reasons why in fact it's more powerful, I am pretty sure both will be pretty good.

Not surprised seeing fanboys attacking Cerny, there's clearly nothing left for them. Its pretty clear they don't like him because he's a Sony employee. You manchilds are really into this system wars bullshit. Never change though, you are after all Microsofts audience. lmfao.

I don’t endorse any of the personal insults on Cerny but I have to ask, what was the purpose of this thread, the content seemed strictly war focused from the start

I just want to jump in with a car analogy when comparing Series X and PS5. The car with higher horsepower isn't neccessarily faster, it's how it's engineered to utilize it's Horsepower/Torque that matters.

Both cars have a very short distance to travel tho, metaphorically, in the end we all get to the same place at about the same time

Last edited:

GHG

This whole thing is funny to me but not completely unexpected. The fact some people don't like hearing this says it all.

Said it before but the two consoles have different strengths and weaknesses and a lot of people have been dishonest in their discussions surrounding the topic.

Teraflops matter, SSD speed matters, how it all ties together matter and so do the tools given to developers to harness whatever power is available. Saying "this only this thing here matters because it will be strongest on my favourite platform" is peak stupidity, and that's been the basis of all the shit flinging that's been going on here since the specs were revealed.

Of course, it does. And developers are backing it up.

DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF PLAYSTATION.
You trying to compare the Series X to the PlayStation 3 and the PlayStation 5 to the Xbox 360 in terms of development ease and architectural convolution is asinine.

They're both RDNA 2, they're both Zen2, they're both x86. This is just a terrible line of logic.

Not surprised seeing fanboys attacking Cerny, there's clearly nothing left for them. Its pretty clear they don't like him because he's a Sony employee. You manchilds are really into this system wars bullshit. Never change though, you are after all Microsofts audience. lmfao.
We've already made all the pertinent arguments relevant to the discussion itself. Don't forget we didn't bring up Cerny or physical appearance or anything related to these people, one of you guys did with this post.

Short term memory loss maybe?
Who you would prefer to marry your daughter?

l19bCDo.png

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
In my experience, the cleverest guy in the room is the one you wouldn't want to hang out for a beer with.

Then again that's often also true of the dumbest guy in the room.

I drink alone quite a bit...
That's true. Anyway I have for you some story, because I was definitely same...

Vawn

Banned
You trying to compare the Series X to the PlayStation 3 and the PlayStation 5 to the Xbox 360 is asinine.

Sometimes the more powerful console gets lesser results because of how easy games can be made. The 360 vs PS3 was just an example.

And it isn't clear the Series X is actually more powerful with that weak SSD.

Time will tell. The only thing for sure right now is that the stuff shown running on PS5 has been MUCH more impressive than what we've seen running on Xbox Series X.

Let's see if Xbox can close the gap after we see the conferences in June and July.

Power is insignificant compared to the quality of the games. We will see the first waves of those in June and July as well.

Last edited:
This whole thing is funny to me but not completely unexpected. The fact some people don't like hearing this says it all.

It’s exactly the same from the other side when a pro-XsX thread grows up

Sometimes the more powerful console gets lesser results because of how easy games can be made.

XsX is hard to develop for cuz why?

XsX SSD is weak cuz why?

I mean, seriously?

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
And the test didn't show the HUGE benefits that Cerny is talking about. You seem to ignore that. Saying you get more is different from what Cerny was ado-vacating. A 2%-5% benefit is nothing. Their RDNA1 test doesn't support the huge benefits that Cerny was claiming.

You should go back and look at the video again.

The more you UPCLOCK a GPU without a corresponding increase in bandwidth elsewhere in the system, the less performance you gain.

I say we need more testing points from an RDNA card with more than 40 CUs to get much more in the way of meaningful data.

What you're ignoring are these two aspects. The RDNA 1 cards have about 40 CUs and it's comparing 36 to 40 when it comes to scalability.

What's wider? 40 CUs or 60 CUs?

If you're going to say this has been debunked, then maybe you should quote where they're saying the data is not completely and that they have to run test with RDNA 2 cards with more CUs to get a better understanding of what's going on. There are many factors that come into play.

The point you're also missing is that it's easier for devs to program for a smaller approach vs wide.

oldergamer

Yeah, but that VOICE. This could be simply bad picture, but watching him speak, with all of his mannerism, it's just too much for me, I watched it with captions. #noShame
People keep reposting it thought in threads. I had a thread up and my daughter came in saw it, and was like "who is that creepy person" (she's 10). I'm like he's not creepy, just a bad pic.

Last edited:

oldergamer

Who specifically attacked Cerny?? Sounds like you need to take a break from cheerleading mate.

I don't really care what devs fawn over, I care what the console actually offers. More so, this all seems like a clever marketing strategy to try to play against Microsoft's power advantage (much like Microsoft's attempts back in the day). It really says nothing. "Oh some anonymous developers fawning over a console". Ok. That is irrelevant to the consumer though. This all reminds me of those anonymous sources you hear about saying something, but not really saying anything specific with it.
I'm looking forwards to when the consoles have been fully revealed, so we don't have all the wild stories trying to influence us, but can make a choice ourselves. I'm still not settled on console, despite having mained Playstation since the first Playstation. That's because I look for the best choice as a consumer and not some weird competitive sport. You can imagine when PS4 and XBone were revealed, PS4 had me hyped, then I was having an open mind for XBone, but it was an utter disaster and the console was just a total miss, so I went PS4.

We'll see how the companies try to sell us on their console. How they give their overall pitch. Do we have any info on when Microsoft are doing theirs? Sony are doing it the 4th, right?

JTCx

We've already made all the pertinent arguments relevant to the discussion itself. Don't forget we didn't bring up Cerny or physical appearance or anything related to these people, one of you guys did with this post.
whose you guys?

And yet you fell into that bait. lul.

Last edited:
I don't think that happened, but maybe I missed it. I only have seen Crytek Guy say that the weaker GPU is better, and that interview was redacted. Is there a link to DF saying this?
He never said PS5 gpu is better. He said XSX will have resolution benefitS. He said PS5 has his own benefits and he likes the design philosophy more and said PS5 is easier to develop for due to great API

Reactions: GHG
He never said PS5 gpu is better. He said XSX will have resolution benefitS. He said PS5 has his own benefits and he likes the design philosophy more and said PS5 is easier to develop for due to great API

He said less CUs are better than more CUs for devs. That's a reach of all reaches.

If what he said is repeated across the industry by other third party developers (which is what Grubb's tweets are suggesting) then of course he is.

If that is indeed the case then he was just the one who happened to speak up too soon.

Aren't we assuming a bit much here?

Last edited:

wachie

Good to know about PS5.

People got to remember his last sentence "havent heard the same about XSX but that doesn't mean it's a bad thing".

"Sharing" 90% of the hardware, well I'm not so sure about that. I mean if you're talking in Van Neumann machine terms then ok, theres a CPU, Memory, Secondary Storage, Output fine - but in detail? They're using custom SOCs, custom hardware for auxialliary tasks, custom SSDs, different RAM architecure and bandwidth....

But anyway, regardless of that from the software perspective they seem 180 degress opposed.

I mean the xsex is "a PC" - ok a customised hardware PC, but recognisable as a PC.

PS5 though - the approach they're taking to cpu capping for power rather than clock will make the optiomisation steps very different. On top of that, Sony want devs to be able to push data through the system at a rate where RAM could be reloaded in "real-time" without the need for a whole block of RAM set aside for scenarios that may not occur.

Then there's sound processing which Sony seem to have spent a lot of time on. New Dualsense - let's see what's in there.

To me, the PS5 is quite a big revolution in terms of software. There's a lot to chew on.

I don't feel "sharing 90% of the same hardware" is really doing justice to the differences of approach they've taken.

They share the same CPU and GPU, you would probably be able to run C++ binaries compiled on either target, shaders will be translated to the same instructions. Both can use SSD as "extra" RAM, that is the biggest new feature of this generation.

The extra spice each SoC will hare are basically the same thing to accelerate audio and video code/encode and decompression.

There are no different paradigms. Even if PS5 is "better" for developers right now, it doesn't mean XSX will eat dirt in every area and every game.

Thirty7ven

Banned
They're running almost the identical hardware of the same architecture. Stop, this is foolish talk.

The SSD doesn't add computational power, my word.

Where are you even trying to go with this?

Yes the GPUs are both Custom RDNA2. But it’s how the customs parts in these custom designed boxes all interact that matters.

I know that for sake of discussion it’s much easier to just dumb it down to the point where these consoles are PCs that any forum nerd could piece together by going on PickYourParts.com but this isn’t true. That’s just how far your understanding of the hardware gets you.

And after months of MS “deep pockets” and “software king”, it doesn’t make sense to dismiss sources with track records about how one of these systems is really causing a big impact among developers.

The downplaying never ends, it’s incredible. At this rate, if Xbox first party looks worse than PS5 and third party runs the same, what then? What is the next excuse?

GHG

He said less CUs are better than more CUs for devs. That's a reach of all reaches.

This is what he said:

The main difference is that the working frequency of the PlayStation 5 is much higher and they work at a higher frequency. That's why, despite the differences in CU count, the two consoles’ performance is almost the same.

He's saying frequency matters along with the number of them. Do you want less machines working really quickly or do you want more machines working slightly slower, that's basically what he's getting at. There's no need to be reductive and jump at the fact that he's not just saying "more is better" despite the fact that "more" never tells the whole story.

But hey, that's the message Microsoft are trying to hammer home with their marketing so I guess it must be true.

Sometimes the more powerful console gets lesser results because of how easy games can be made. The 360 vs PS3 was just an example.

Time will tell. The only thing for sure right now is that the stuff shown running on PS5 has been MUCH more impressive than what we've seen running on Xbox Series X.

Let's see if Xbox can close the gap after we see the conferences in June and July.

Power is insignificant compared to the quality of the games. We will see the first waves of those in June and July as well.

oMtmIfD.gif

Where are you even trying to go with this?

Yes the GPUs are both Custom RDNA2. But it’s how the customs parts in these custom designed boxes all interact that matters.

I know that for sake of discussion it’s much easier to just dumb it down to the point where these consoles are PCs that any forum nerd could piece together by going on PickYourParts.com but this isn’t true. That’s just how far your understanding of the hardware gets you.

And after months of MS “deep pockets” and “software king”, it doesn’t make sense to dismiss sources with track records about how one of these systems is really causing a big impact among developers.

The downplaying never ends, it’s incredible. At this rate, if Xbox first party looks worse than PS5 and third party runs the same, what then? What is the next excuse?
There is no excuse, Xbox Series X will run games better.

They're both highly customized systems and the reality is this bears out to some universally understood figures which are the determinate reality for rendering and framerate performance.

You can try to dress up this pig as much as you want but at the end of the day the Series X is the more computationally dominate system.

LarknThe4th

I'm just glad that Sony are confirmed for showing the goods next week cause all this talk from insiders is a bit tiring

Time to put up or shut up, that will hopefully refocus the conversation on games and feature sets

Exciting times

GHG

If the Series X was shit to develop for it would have leaked by now in my opinion. Both consoles will be fine

Even in the unlikely event that it's "harder" to develop for (in the sense of extracting all the available power) , that will be offset by the amount of familiarity developers will have with the direct X api.

Last edited:
Top Bottom