• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb: Devs Fawning over PS5. Haven't heard the same praise for XSX, but heard nothing bad

I'm just glad that Sony are confirmed for showing the goods next week cause all this talk from insiders is a bit tiring

Time to put up or shut up, that will hopefully refocus the conversation on games and feature sets

Exciting times
None of this will change anything, it's not what Sony shows, and it's not what Microsoft shows, it's where things end up in terms of third party analysis and we're still 6 months away from that.

June 4th and July Xth won't answer any pertinent questions as to how these systems stack up against each other, it will just be both operating in a vacuum with no expressed information for comparison or technical data.

Leyasu

Banned
As a Sony fan, I believe the same.

Ms is a software company, they have the console with most raw power this gen.. Then why are devs praising Sony? Both consoles are very similar and I doubt sony has way better tools and documentation at this point. It would be a huge show of incompetence by Ms if this were true and I doubt it.

Maybe Sony has less restrictions with their dev tools. Cerny did talk about "time to triangle" being super important.
When you read the tweet "best architecture ever", it seems to me that the customisations reallly help the devs.

Nothing to do with power or magical SSDs, just a really well put together bit of kit.

I am not downplaying it, just giving my interpretation.

Last edited:

Mozza

He never said PS5 gpu is better. He said XSX will have resolution benefitS. He said PS5 has his own benefits and he likes the design philosophy more and said PS5 is easier to develop for due to great API

Yes because it would make perfect sense for Microsoft who design their games to work with both their console and P.C's , to make their new console hard to develop for. ;)

If the Series X was shit to develop for it would have leaked by now in my opinion. Both consoles will be fine

That is
Time will tell. The only thing for sure right now is that the stuff shown running on PS5 has been MUCH more impressive than what we've seen running on Xbox Series X.

Let's see if Xbox can close the gap after we see the conferences in June and July.

I don't think we have seen anything running on the XSX yet.

They only shown quick resume with current Gen games.

LarknThe4th

None of this will change anything, it's not what Sony shows, and it's not what Microsoft shows, it's where things end up in terms of third party analysis and we're still 6 months away from that.

June 4th and July Xth won't answer any pertinent questions as to how these systems stack up against each other, it will just be both operating in a vacuum with no expressed information for comparison or technical data.
Well I'm speaking as a potential purchaser, once I see what Sony got and what Microsoft got in July I'll be pretty confident in making a choice

I also think the 3rd party differences will be neglible(I didnt care this generation like, so I feel the upcoming one will be similar)

Well I'm speaking as a potential purchaser, once I see what Sony got and what Microsoft got in July I'll be pretty confident in making a choice

I also think the 3rd party differences will be neglible(I didnt care this generation like, so I feel the upcoming one will be similar)
I'm not talking about third party games, I'm talking about third party analysis removing these systems from their vacuums and pitting them against each other.

Lethal01

When you read the tweet "best architecture ever", it seems to me that the customisations reakky help the devs.

Nothing to do with power are magical SSDs, just a really well put together bit of kit.

I am not downplaying it, just giving my interpretation.

Nothing magical about a fantastic storage solution, calling it magic is not giving enough credit to how much work goes into it.

Leyasu

Banned
The almighty Matt which people keep sourcing works for Google and has been for about 2-3 years now so why would he have a dev-kit?
Matt, as in Era's fanboy army's idol? lol

I have never put any stock into his one sentence ambiguous posts and have never trusted him. I thought that people would finally see the light after the road to ps5 yet the idiots on era are still sucking his dick.

I also see that he is no longer a mod over there. Guy is full of it

Last edited:
Yes because it would make perfect sense for Microsoft who design their games to work with both their console and P.C's , to make their new console hard to develop for. ;)

Being compatible with multiple platforms and hardware could make an API a little more complex, specially the ones that could tap at lower level abstractions like DirectX12 and Vulkan.

Microsoft has been struggling to make DX12 more friendly for a good part of a decade right now.

However, console developers are familiar with custom and lower level APIs.

LarknThe4th

I'm not talking about third party games, I'm talking about third party analysis removing these systems from their vacuums and pitting them against each other.
Oh sorry I think I misunderstood you.

You are talking about outlets like Digital foundry and their reactions and videos on framrates and resolutions?

I always assume stuff like that will be a shit show for dumb reasons(people calling each other fanboys and all that craic)

I meant just that once we have some actual games on the table some of the conversation about these machines can flow into that area, that's when I will get excited about the gen and chat with people about that, I always ignore the pixel counting I would go insane if I lived like that!

Lethal01

Only time will tell if comments like this age like fine wine or turn into vinegar...
Don't need time, if you got more than 5 brain cells and even a passing interest in programming you should understand how much of a benefit improved storage is.

Orta

Banned
After all the hype I'm expecting nothing less than the most technically impressive and best looking games in videogaming history to be shown off on the PS5 straight out of the traps next week. This thing if we are to believe what has been multiple orgasmed out by Sony, developers and fans should have absolutely no problem whatsoever putting the XSX and $2000 PC's to shame.

giphy.gif

93xfan

Banned
OK, lets go back 6 years to the start of this gen, read below, large API abstraction layers are slower and inefficient but good for BC.

Now I am sure DX12 + super duper ultimate is better than DX11, but the concept is the same, Ps5 will just do it, XSX may have more horsepower but it will waste clock cycles on abstraction layers.

You haveheard this before from @BGs and also that Crytek engineer rant.

An interesting article from beggining of current gen on abstraction layers....by Metro dev. Yes its been improved DX 11 to DX12 to whatever, but abstraction still costs....

At the end of the day, even the Xbox One X showed notable improvements over the PS4 pro in many games such as Red Dead 2. I can only imagine the API is even better now, and the compatibility will cost less.

A small performance cost on a more powerful system for full BC as well as compatibility going forward is well with it imo.

Leyasu

Banned
Don't need time, if you got more than 5 brain cells and even a passing interest in programming you should understand how much of a benefit improved storage is.
So what are the benefits? Stimulate my 5 brain cells with your vast knowledge please.

GHG

The Series X SSD isn't weak just like the PS5s GPU isn't weak.

Just because it's less capable than the competition doesn't mean that it's trash.

It's the same way some people think 10.2 TF is trash just because it's lower than 12.

Its like children looking at numbers.

Glad to see someone else understands these simple things.

Ironic.

Last edited:

geordiemp

At the end of the day, even the Xbox One X showed notable improvements over the PS4 pro in many games such as Red Dead 2. I can only imagine the API is even better now, and the compatibility will cost less.

A small performance cost on a more powerful system for full BC as well as compatibility going forward is well with it imo.

X1X had 50 % more TF though over ps4 pro and XSX ran higher clocks as well.

This gen its 15 % theoretical shader.....but Ps5 is the higher clocks for other GPU tasks.......so we shall see.

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
After all the hype I'm expecting nothing less than the most technically impressive and best looking games in videogaming history to be shown off on the PS5 straight out of the traps next week. This thing if we are to believe what has been multiple orgasmed out by Sony, developers and fans should have absolutely no problem whatsoever putting the XSX and $2000 PC's to shame.

giphy.gif

Well, that would be cool right?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
whose you guys?

And yet you fell into that bait. lul.

Yeah, I also did a double take on that we, but knowing the poster I thought it was a royal we so sure of himself he is ;). On another read, it would be a funny admission of this being quite interestingly coordinated well lol.

Lethal01

So what are the benefits? Stimulate my 5 brain cells with your vast knowledge please.
Easy, it moves data,

computing comes down to moving data and processing it. Right now there are just as many issues arising form not being able to move data fast enough as there are from not being able to process it. being able to grab hundreds of megabytes
per frame is a giant benefit but that doesn't mean being able to grab 10 gigabytes of data a frame wouldn't be better.

we have probably got decades to go before we see anything close to diminishing returns on faster storage.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
Easy, it moves data,

computing comes down to moving data and processing it. Right now there are just as many issues arising form not being able to move data fast enough as there are from not being able to process it. being able to grab hundreds of megabyte per frame is a giant benefit but that doesn't mean being able to grab 10gigabytes of data a frame wouldn't be better.

we have probably got decades to go before we see anything close to diminishing returns on faster storage.
Ok, so the SSD in the ps5 can move a lot of data and is complimented by highly customised components. This is known. What else makes it more than magical? And what is it going to do?

Ok, so the SSD in the ps5 can move a lot of data and is complimented by highly customised components. This is known. What else makes it more than magical? And what is it going to do?

I read a bit on how it can potentially help the LOD. As in the GPU only needs to render assets for the next second of gameplay instead of then next 10 seconds.

This can only be done with a very good I/O solution. The downside to this is that I don't believe many multiplatform developers will make the effort to do this.

Imagine if the PS5 show doesn't go ahead on June 4th, nothing happens and no word is given, people speculate wildly as whats "gone wrong". Then we get to July and there is no Xbox showing, we all start to get antsy and really worried that nothing is coming or something terrible has happened behind the scenes to both companies and then in August its revealed:

"The Playstation Series Xbox 5X"

fE7RpzD.jpg

FUSION!

Then we could stop all this pointless willy-waving.

Where’s the fun in that!

Top Bottom