• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jen Tsao leaving 1UP, joins Sega

• Thread starter Deleted member 20415
  • Start date

angelfly

Reading through this thread really surprised me. I didn't realize so many people didn't like her. I wish her the best of luck over at Sega.

Gassey

Banned
Jen was great - nice to have someone who went against the 'tide'... particularly on the 1up show.
Good luck Jen.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
YYZ said:
For some of you idiots posting in this thread (and this is just the first page), if you wouldn't have the balls to say what you're saying to her face, then don't fucking say it you twats.
Talking behind people's backs isn't restricted to the internet. Just the opposite really. In fact, Jen might be reading this thread.

StuBurns

Banned
YYZ said:
For some of you idiots posting in this thread (and this is just the first page), if you wouldn't have the balls to say what you're saying to her face, then don't fucking say it you twats.
What an ironic post, you'd never have said that to anyone who slagged her off.

bcn-ron said:
On the upside, it would make for a more consistent review process. Is that not desirable?

The reviews are consistent in so far as you should get to know the personalities behind them, what each individual likes, and how that relates to your own likes and dislikes. Anything beyond that reflecting so-called "objective" reviews not only doesn't interest me but doesn't really exist in any worthwhile capacity, in my opinion.

stuburns said:
What an ironic post, you'd never have said that to anyone who slagged her off.

I would happily say "Fuck the haters" directly to anyone saying that shit in this thread. Haters: fuck you.

Wurm

Banned
For some reason a reviewer that always gave casual games higher scores and then leaves for a casual games overseer job feels shady as hell to me. I know its probably not the case, but 1up's "revolving door" has become just a little bit too hard to stomach recently.

Wurm said:
For some reason a reviewer that always gave casual games higher scores and then leaves for a casual games overseer job feels shady as hell to me. I know its probably not the case, but 1up's "revolving door" has become just a little bit too hard to stomach recently.

What, you still believe gaming journalism has integrity? It's a PR business, if you're good you get to work for the people that pay you the money.

StuBurns

Banned
KefkaTaran said:
I would happily say "Fuck the haters" directly to anyone saying that shit in this thread. Haters: fuck you.
You say that, but it'd be different if you were alone surrounded by burley pissed up yokels.

I didn't slag her off, but I do think her recent blog post obnoxious. Do you agree that "the era of the hardcore gamer is coming to an end"? Do you find the comment even a reasonable opinion based on your knowledge of the industry? Hardcore gaming is going no where.

And I'm not trying to be a dick, but clearly her comments are going to piss people off on here, it's a gaming forum, we're here discussing a mutual interested in 'hardcore' gaming, something that is apparently on the way out according to her.

Johnkers

stuburns said:
I didn't slag her off, but I do think her recent blog post obnoxious. Do you agree that "the era of the hardcore gamer is coming to an end"? Do you find the comment even a reasonable opinion based on your knowledge of the industry? Hardcore gaming is going no where.

Jesus, it's really not that difficult to know what she means by this.

Wurm

Banned
jakershaker said:
What, you still believe gaming journalism has integrity? It's a PR business, if you're good you get to work for the people that pay you the money.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not naive, I know it happens. But when week in week out yet another 1up "personality" jumps ship into a cushty dev role, it makes the whole outfit look weak. You start watching the 1up Show like a game of "he keeps mentioning FPS Studio 12... LET THE COUNTDOWN COMMENCE!!" and it will only add fuel to the fire when they give curiously high review scores.

If anything else, it makes you respect the guys that are seemingly locked into their "games reviewer" path like Shane, Gertsmann and several IGN guys.

StuBurns

Banned
Johnkers said:
Jesus, it's really not that difficult to know what she means by this.
Yes, it's very clear, it's literally what it says, the era of the hardcore gamer is almost over, and casual games are now 'cool and profittable'.

Wurm said:
Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not naive, I know it happens. But when week in week out yet another 1up "personality" jumps ship into a cushty dev role, it makes the whole outfit look weak. You start watching the 1up Show like a game of "he keeps mentioning FPS Studio 12... LET THE COUNTDOWN COMMENCE!!" and it will only add fuel to the fire when they give curiously high review scores.

If anything else, it makes you respect the guys that are seemingly locked into their "games reviewer" path like Shane, Gertsmann and several IGN guys.

The publisher fund the gaming mags in the end so they have to inflate scores to get advertisement money. Marketing, pr and journalist often work so close anyway so when they are looking for new people those you know comes to mind.

It's perfect for those looking to work in the distribution/publishing business but from an integrity angle it's horrible and why we pretty much can't have decent critical game coverage.

But as you said, some people actually like being a game journalist. Free games yay ^^

stuburns said:
You say that, but it'd be different if you were alone surrounded by burley pissed up yokels.

And I'm not trying to be a dick, but clearly her comments are going to piss people off on here, it's a gaming forum, we're here discussing a mutual interested in 'hardcore' gaming, something that is apparently on the way out according to her.

1. Yes, I would still say it to their faces if they were actually here. What, they're going to get in a bar fight over me defending someone else in the industry who I respect and who has helped me? Seriously?

2. If you really read the post and not just the quote, it should be apparent that she doesn't mean hardcore games are dead or going anywhere. She meant the era of games being something ONLY for the hardcore is over, which is obvious and true. Yes, there will always be games made to appeal to this nebulous thing that we refer to as the 'hardcore' crowd, but there's also much more now created for a much wider base.

Also, it's depressing how many of you posting here have a really skewed idea of the relationship between people on the press and publisher side in games. I understand being a little cynical, but hell.

KefkaTaran said:
2. If you really read the post and not just the quote, it should be apparent that she doesn't mean hardcore games are dead or going anywhere. She meant the era of games being something ONLY for the hardcore is over, which is obvious and true. Yes, there will always be games made to appeal to this nebulous thing that we refer to as the 'hardcore' crowd, but there's also much more now created for a much wider base.

No, you don't understand. You're either with us, or against us.

Huge Nobody leaves 1UP and joins Sega.

Jen Tsao said:
1. Yes, I would still say it to their faces if they were actually here. What, they're going to get in a bar fight over me defending someone else in the industry who I respect and who has helped me? Seriously?
Huh.

StuBurns

Banned
KefkaTaran said:

Also, it's depressing how many of you posting here have a really skewed idea of the relationship between people on the press and publisher side in games. I understand being a little cynical, but hell.
1, The guy called them 'idiots' and 'twats', if you call someone an idiot or twat to their face, they tend to find it just slightly offensive. Defending someone's honor can be done in a tasteful manner. I didn't question whether he would say something, just if he would say what he wrote, which was his point originally. If you really read the post and not just the quote, you'd have understood that.

When the first unpleasant post was made I replied with "cold blooded man", something I would be happy to say to someone, because no one would find it offensive.

2, The context of her post is ambiguous, yes she doesn't directly say anything regarding diminishing or waning to the hardcore games directly, but to hardcore gamers instead. You could argue she is saying that it's the era of the causal gamer, and that does not effect the hardcore gamer, but development resources have to be placed amongst these two groups. If the insinuation is that the 'era of the hardcore gamer is over', it's also that it's now the era of the causal gamer. Which still is hardly accurate, the two hardcore console together outsell the one casual console. Outside of bundle games and WiiPlay (which is essentially a hardware SKU), GTA4 still outsold any casual game.

To say the era of hardcore gamer is over, when it's still ahead is absurd.

U K Narayan said:
What? That's not Jen.

I couldn't stand her on the show. She had no real opinions (she constantly swayed back and forth during conversations) and always seemed awkward and confused whenever she gave an opinion. I can't imagine what she'll actually be doing at Sega, but I know she won't last.

Monocle

Yes, the era of the hardcore gamer is coming to an end,
Bullshit, lady. So long as studios like Bungie, Epic and Valve are in business, I think it's safe to say gaming as we know it isn't going to be compromised by the latest wave of casual trash. If anything, the influx of new gamers will increase the legitimacy of the medium. Lighter fare will be more common, true, but this new momentum will fuel the so-called hardcore projects for years to come. And let's not discount the people with strong creative vision who won't just shut up and go with the flow: big names like Hideki Kamiya, Shinji Mikami, Hideo Kojima, and Suda 51.

Best of luck to you at your new job. Hopefully your warped view of the industry won't turn out to be a massive liability.

Johnkers

Ninja99 said:
Bullshit, lady. So long as studios like Bungie, Epic and Valve are in business, I think it's safe to say gaming as we know it isn't going to be compromised by the latest wave of casual trash. If anything, the influx of new gamers will increase the legitimacy of the medium. Lighter fare will be more common, true, but this new momentum will fuel the so-called hardcore projects for years to come. And let's not discount the people with strong creative vision who won't just shut up and go with the flow: big names like Hideki Kamiya, Shinji Mikami, Hideo Kojima, and Suda 51.

Best of luck to you at your new job. Hopefully your warped view of the industry won't turn out to be a massive liability.

JESUS

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
rocksolidaudio said:
it depends, do you want a consumer report or do you want criticism? sounds like the former.

Could you tell me where I could find the latter?

Flavius

KefkaTaran said:

As much as I (and many, many others, I'm sure) agree with you, Phil, don't get trapped.

You might think logic and reason would be enough, but boy-o-boy...unfortunately they are not.

Don't fuck the haters. Just forget them.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
So fanboys hate anyone with different opinions from their own, what else is new? This is one of the reasons why review scores are so dumb. There needs to be a paradigm shift. And no, it's not as simple as having a review and chopping the score off of the end. Actual DISCUSSION about a game like on Yours and the 1UP Show has helped so much more with figuring out which games to get than any review.

Barrett2

Ninja99 said:

geek09.jpg

StuBurns

Banned
Flavius said:
As much as I (and many, many others, I'm sure) agree with you, Phil, don't get trapped.

You might think logic and reason would be enough
You don't think calling people twats and idiots is offensive?
Playing hard and loose with the term logic, I like it.

I liked Jen on the old EGM Live* podcast. Her opinion wasn't important to me, but I understand that she spoke to(for) a different audience, and that she knew her stuff when talking about them. Good luck to her!

Tnd that XBL/PSN version of Chu Chu Rocket is a casual goldmine, combined with Little Big Planet style sharing of custom puzzles. Dreamcast did it 8 years ago and it'd be nice to have it back.

stuburns said:
What? That's not Jen.
:lol I know. I was just messing around.

Ninja99 said:

ICE BURN!

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
Most of us are not attacking her personally. I liked her on the 1up show when she was on. I thought she brought something to the table that the rest of the crew didn't.

I think people in this thread, myself included, are just taking issue with her closing comments here. I think it's perfectly fair game to criticize her "end of hardcore gaming" line. There's no evidence that there's an end to hardcore gaming coming. The hardcore side of the business continues to do well, and I see no evidence it has slowed down...at all. I mean look at all the games coming out this fall and have come out in the last year. The big titles are MOSTLY hardcore and as GTA4, COD4, MGS3, Fable II, Saints Row II, and Dead Space (and I could go on and on) are all proving right now, these games still sell just fine. Maybe there's proof that the hardcore consoles themselves aren't selling as well, but the game sales side seems to be doing just fine.

So my disagreement with her is that I think her statement was a crazy one. I think the casual audience is growing like a weed, but it's a different audience (mostly) and just because new people are coming into gaming that are more casual than us doesn't mean those of us who like hardcore games are going to all of the sudden stop buying and playing them.

So I wish her the best, I liked what she did, I'm simply commenting on what she said. I don't think it's beating up on her to disagree with her. I don't wish a plague upon her house or anything, I just think something she said was not based in reality. I'd like to see her back up the end of hardcore gaming thing with some facts. Maybe she's right? I'm honestly curious to know what she bases those thoughts on though.

farnham

Banned
drakesfortune said:
Most of us are not attacking her personally. I liked her on the 1up show when she was on. I thought she brought something to the table that the rest of the crew didn't.

I think people in this thread, myself included, are just taking issue with her closing comments here. I think it's perfectly fair game to criticize her "end of hardcore gaming" line. There's no evidence that there's an end to hardcore gaming coming. The hardcore side of the business continues to do well, and I see no evidence it has slowed down...at all. I mean look at all the games coming out this fall and have come out in the last year. The big titles are MOSTLY hardcore and as GTA4, COD4, MGS3, Fable II, Saints Row II, and Dead Space (and I could go on and on) are all proving right now, these games still sell just fine. Maybe there's proof that the hardcore consoles themselves aren't selling as well, but the game sales side seems to be doing just fine.

So my disagreement with her is that I think her statement was a crazy one. I think the casual audience is growing like a weed, but it's a different audience (mostly) and just because new people are coming into gaming that are more casual than us doesn't mean those of us who like hardcore games are going to all of the sudden stop buying and playing them.

So I wish her the best, I liked what she did, I'm simply commenting on what she said. I don't think it's beating up on her to disagree with her. I don't wish a plague upon her house or anything, I just think something she said was not based in reality. I'd like to see her back up the end of hardcore gaming thing with some facts. Maybe she's right? I'm honestly curious to know what she bases those thoughts on though.

Oh yes there is

In Japan Hardcore gaming has been downhill since the PS2 days..

In NA and Europe the Wii and the DS is gaining momentum day after day...

And most importantly the crowd is just not expanding while the devs are making the games more and more focused to a specific crowd

The trend is slow but it is showing.. and it will ultimately go to the end or a drastic change of hardcore gaming as we know it..

I think her hardcore gaming comment was more of a personal one, than an industry wide proclaimation.

For her, hardcore gaming is done with. She's got a family and none of her friends(outside of Ziff) play hardcore games. She has moved over to an entirely casual gaming environment in both her proffesional life and home life, I don't think anyone should interperet her statement in any other way. But that's just my opinion of her intentions.

Maybe she really does think hardcore gaming is doomed, but I doubt it.

Monocle

Dead Man Typing said:
I think her hardcore gaming comment was more of a personal one, than an industry wide proclaimation.
Nothing she wrote implies this is the case. "The era of the hardcore gamer is coming to an end..." is a definitive statement that she repeats twice in her letter. I'm not seeing any ambiguity there. The fact that her new job title is Associate Creative Director for Family/Casual Games should remove any doubt that her view is being interpreted correctly.

Barrett2

drakesfortune said:
The hardcore side of the business continues to do well, and I see no evidence it has slowed down...at all.

Farnham basically already said this, but you are wrong. The rate at which the hardcore gaming demographic is growing is absolutely slowing down relative to the rate of growth of the rest of the industry. You have a naive view of the gaming industry if you define it by how many copies of games like Saints Row 2 are sold each month.

The gaming industry continues to grow, and 'hardcore' gaming will continue to grow in absolute terms. But in relative terms, of course hardcore gaming is slowing down. I mean, Jesus, do you have any idea what is happening in Japan the last few years? Have you not seen the analyst reports saying the PS3 will never even break even? The gaming industry is changing, and the trend is absolutely to a more casual-centric focus.

Wurm said:
For some reason a reviewer that always gave casual games higher scores and then leaves for a casual games overseer job feels shady as hell to me.
No doubt, someone with a track record of being interested in casual games goes to work on casual games. Shady, man. Fucking shady.

Flavius

The Nature Roy said:
No doubt, someone with a track record of being interested in casual games goes to work on casual games. Shady, man. Fucking shady.

I know!

Like Jeff Green always used to talk about The Sims and he goes to work for EA...in the Sims Division!

Shawn Elliot obviously saw eye-to-eye with Ken Levine in regards to in-game narrative...and that jerk went to go work for 2K Boston!!

And who could forget that sonofabitch Luke Smith going to work for Bungie...after talking about how fucking awesome Halo is for all those (uhhhhh....two?) years?!?

What other possible explanation is there for these guys going to work at these developers than hookers (or in Jen's case, gigolos) and coke???

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
YYZ said:

This thread has been pretty tame actually, comparatively speaking. At least there hasn't been any fat jokes (yet).

Jirotrom

Wurm said:
shes always liked the casual games more than most, this has been well well known. Its her opinion of those games.

Ninja99 said:

so strong creative vision can't be casual...?

Jirotrom

drakesfortune said:

half of the games you listed can be considered casual... obviously they are a mix of both worlds which imo should be the ultimate goal of game devs.

This thread has the potential to become a full on Wii hate thread. We're almost there.

Drinky Crow said:
well, at least we now know why wii music got a 9

Drinky, I'm not sure if you've gone into detail on your opinions on the recent popularity of casual non-games and Nintendo's general strategy in the video game market.

Would you mind sharing your thoughts with us?

Top Bottom