• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jez Corden: Perfect Dark coming along really well

Pelta88

Jez said the same thing about Halo before Craig was let loose on the world.

His info goes through a hyperbolic fanboy chamber before he makes an actual statement. So for me Jez is like Dusk Golem and the litany of other insiders who never seem to know anything besides vague dates that can be moved... "Unexpectedly."

Last edited:
“Insiders”. Honestly, I don’t know what to believe anymore. On one hand, Perfect Dark is literally the game I’m most looking forward to from the entire lineup and I’m optimistic about it. On the other, these so called “insiders” have been flip flopping on the state of the game’s development for months going from it’s probably in trouble and the studio has a lack of vision to, it’s doing well. Honestly, I have no clue what to think anymore. Crystal Dynamics have experience in games like these, but I can’t take you seriously if you tell me to ignore Avengers and the absolute wrinkled mess it came out to be. I trust CD, just not as much as I used to anymore, one flop is enough to change my entire perspective on any developer. It’s how I learned to keep my expectations I’m check.

Last edited:
Just like Avowed was supposed to, at the time he commented about it late last year. Right?
What does that even mean, by the way? That the studio is diligently working on it? That it has not been killed, as a project?
It's a meaningless statement meant to confer some "insider" status to this guy.

Just like Avowed was supposed to, at the time he commented about it late last year. Right?
What does that even mean, by the way? That the studio is diligently working on it? That it has not been killed, as a project?
It's a meaningless statement meant to confer some "insider" status to this guy.
My guess is, it means either they've managed to optimize the engine and gameplay they're working with to handle their vision, or they've managed to find a successful way to map out their ambitions and direction into a cohesive project.

If it's the former, then it's full sail ahead and they will be in the art and asset phase which is the funner phase for creatives to work on. If it's the latter, then they at least have everything mapped out and can start building around said direction so that everything fits.

The one thing CD needs to realize is why PD fans love the original game so much. If they try to do some sort of Tomb Raider 2013 version of PD this might fail, because PD fans are unique in that they care way more about gameplay and mission structure than they care about Joanna Dark and her story. They literally just want something that matches the quality of the modes and smart mission design that was present in the first one.

Shifty

The one thing CD needs to realize is why PD fans love the original game so much. If they try to do some sort of Tomb Raider 2013 version of PD this might fail, because PD fans are unique in that they care way more about gameplay and mission structure than they care about Joanna Dark and her story. They literally just want something that matches the quality of the modes and smart mission design that was present in the first one.
Indeed. They can't just crank out another linear adventure shooter with a PD aesthetic and call it good, they have to genuinely do right by what the franchise was originally in order to make it an effort worth undertaking at all.

Something I don't necessarily have faith in MS for after what happened to Banjo, Halo, and the Windows platform as a whole, but time will tell.

Jormatar

It obviously helps that a "real" studio took the reins of the project. Of course, no offence to people at The Initiative but it seemed like the project wasn't really going anywhere with just them handling it on their own.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
It could only be better than pdz. At least crystal dynamics is leading the way after the initiative blunder.

Last edited:
Why would they spread FUD on PS5?
Why bring up PS5 in a thread that has nothing to do with PS5 at all? You can always make a new topic to discuss your preferred platform. Not every topic needs to be about PlayStation.

I hope this game has some sort of co-op mode I always enjoy a good game with friends.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Why bring up PS5 in a thread that has nothing to do with PS5 at all? You can always make a new topic to discuss your preferred platform. Not every topic needs to be about PlayStation.

I hope this game has some sort of co-op mode I always enjoy a good game with friends.
I believe he brought it up to question the legitimacy of the source. If they are spreading bs this is probably more bs. It's quite relevant but you already knew that.

bender

What time is it?
God forbid someone says anything positive regarding an Xbox game.

In this case it is someone tweeting about something someone else said they heard from yet another person.

DecisiveElementaryGalapagosalbatross-size_restricted.gif

I'm not holding my breath for this. Zero was dogshit and the first game is overrated. Some cool ideas, but Goldeneye was better. The Agent 64 demo had given me my fix for now.. this is going to need to be really well executed to make waves. Didn't somebody say it would be like John Wick.. whatever that means?
Wrong. Perfect Dark is superior to Goldeneye in almost every way.

First game is absolutely incredible, second game is so shit but expected because the talent left, I’m expecting this one to be equally as shit. I hope I’m wrong though, because the potential is there.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Perfekt Dark. The hit nintendoh 65 rpg with Joana Dork and Kris Kristofferson the alien. You shoot the data dine terrorists to protect Barack Obama from Mr. Blond and fight the skidmark aliens. Pew.

I believe he brought it up to question the legitimacy of the source. If they are spreading bs this is probably more bs. It's quite relevant but you already knew that.
All consoles have had questionable claims made about them. The XSX was plagued with claims that it smoked and the memory cards overheat. Bunch of videos showing it 'smoking' were all over the internet. Doesn't change that fact Perfect Dark isn't coming to PlayStation so there really isn't a need to bring it up in this particular thread. Plenty of PlayStation threads around here.

Crystal Dynamics of Avengers fame?
Yes and Tomb Raider a title some people were up in arms over when MS got a short timed exclusive.

Apocryphon

It certainly improved every technical aspect and had better controls, but Goldeneye was ridiculously fun whereas Perfect Dark was an interesting technological spectacle. Maybe I'm just still sore at having to buy the Expansion Pack to play it 😉

Goldeneye fans don't want to hear that, but you're right. It improved on every single aspect of Goldeneye, had way more modes and multiplayer options, and even incorporated some of the better multiplayer levels from it's predecessor.

Some will refuse to agree though, because it's like trying to convince SSX Tricky fans that SSX 3 was better.

Square Enix was an absolutely terrible parent company for it lol. That part is really well documented, no need to play around it.

It's all the better for CD.

I mean i enjoyed the first game, the second game i couldn’t even finish it got so bloated, and the last game isn’t even worth talking about as it wasn’t even developed by CD.

But their characterization of Lara was so boring and badly written. They ruined an iconic character trying to “ground her” with daddy issues and ‘trauma’.

schaft0620

• Development started in 2018 with a new "AAAA studio." No reason to expect anything before 2023 to 2025. The new studio has to be built and hired, new workflows have to be implemented.
  • COVID causes a 70% decrease in productivity in 2020, per Phil himself
  • Team leads left in 2020, 2021
  • Crystal Dynamics just started to take over development from a skeleton crew in 2022
  • Crystal Dynamics acquired by new ownership will create new delays even if it's just a few months. There will be new accounting systems, new HR/payroll, new internal systems, new network, and new regulations... ... ..
But someone picked up the phone to assure Microsoft Windows Central that everything is going to plan and it's fine.

Last edited:

oldergamer

• Development started in 2018 with a new "AAAA studio." No reason to expect anything before 2023 to 2025. The new studio has to be built and hired, new workflows have to be implemented.
  • Crystal Dynamics just started to take over development from a skeleton crew in 2022
  • Crystal Dynamics acquired by new ownership will create new delays even if it's just a few months. There will be new accounting systems, new HR/payroll, new internal systems, new network, and new regulations... ... ..
But someone picked up the phone to assure Microsoft Windows Central that everything is going to plan and it's fine.
That summary is lacking

you left out.

- after playable vertical slice created. internal debate if they should hire a 3rd party or hire internal
- It was always meant to be a incubation studio and not develop directly
- leads left after decision to hire 3rd party was chosen
- leveraged previous relationship with CD Tomb raider team and Square Enix to have them develop

Moses85

Goldeneye fans don't want to hear that, but you're right. It improved on every single aspect of Goldeneye, had way more modes and multiplayer options, and even incorporated some of the better multiplayer levels from it's predecessor.

Some will refuse to agree though, because it's like trying to convince SSX Tricky fans that SSX 3 was better.
I am a huge fan of GE64 and you are absolutely right, PD is superior in every single way.

“Hello, is this Jez Corden of Windows Central? Could you please let everyone on the internet know production on Perfect Dark is going ok?”

Dog Phone GIF

But of course, that's why they showed gameplay on the announcement, right?

I love developers that have faith in their work and their audience.
Well their showcase was for games coming within the next 12 months. Avowed, Fable and Perfect Dark are clearly not coming in that time period. I Imagine MS wanted at least one of those ready by that time period but the COVID fiasco has been brutal everywhere.

On the bright side soon they will own ActiBlizz which means they will have more studios to make up for the slower ones.

Top Bottom