• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan lost the Mandate of Heaven and must be removed ASAP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I like the idea of Sony first party coming to PC day 1. I think it's some Jim Ryan could do right.

Sure, it may mean some people won't have to buy a console to play first party games, but it will increase access to awesome games for more people. Since software is where most of the money is made it makes sense. It also increases the incentive for developers to release software sooner since software sales won't be limited by the size of the console install base. I'm having a hard time seeing the downside.

Then you are not one with the cause. Allowing PC players to tarnish the hallowed grounds of Playstation must be avoided at all costs. Nobody should be allowed to play Sony games unless they have been chosen by God as the elite players (translation: buying a Sony console). Allowing PC players to play Sony games would make those games instantly worse simply by not being Playstation exclusive, I remember loving Horizon: Zero Dawn, but then it got ported to PC and retroactively changed my opinion of the game I had already played. We must not let PC players enjoy these games

/s

retsof624

Then you are not one with the cause. Allowing PC players to tarnish the hallowed grounds of Playstation must be avoided at all costs. Nobody should be allowed to play Sony games unless they have been chosen by God as the elite players (translation: buying a Sony console). Allowing PC players to play Sony games would make those games instantly worse simply by not being Playstation exclusive, I remember loving Horizon: Zero Dawn, but then it got ported to PC and retroactively changed my opinion of the game I had already played. We must not let PC players enjoy these games

/s
scary thing is that there are people out here who think like this

Umbasaborne

Banned

/s
I know your joking, but ive seen unironic posts that are dangerously similar to this one on this site, reddit, and era.

Interfectum

Personally I like the idea of Sony first party coming to PC day 1. I think it's some Jim Ryan could do right.

Sure, it may mean some people won't have to buy a console to play first party games, but it will increase access to awesome games for more people. Since software is where most of the money is made it makes sense. It also increases the incentive for developers to release software sooner since software sales won't be limited by the size of the console install base. I'm having a hard time seeing the downside.
Same but I do think their current way of porting to PC is sloppy and has zero benefit to their platform. They should implement PSN connectivity with possible options of trophies, friends list, cross-buy, cross-save and cross-play when it makes sense. Simply farming out a PC port doesn't seem to bring much long term benefits to the Playstation platform other than a small revenue bump at launch. I feel like this is where Jim Ryan and his team are missing out on the details.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
As a weeb I can tell you some normie baseball game means little to me.

Call me when P5R is on GamePass.:messenger_sleeping:

hqdefault.jpg

I cant believe that word was used un ironically. I didn’t think that actually happened irl.

Precisely my point. Could you imagine the outrage if a game people actually cared about like Persona launched on gamepass simultaneously?
Sony HQ would need the national guard to surround the premises and Jim Ryan would need to go into hiding.

Interfectum

That could happen. MS is in the driver's seat now despite Sony being the market leader. MS dropping bombs weekly, Jim's team hyping up Destruction All-stars leaving PS Plus and random VR news about the helmet having a single cord.

Just wait until Horizon hits PC Game Pass. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Aroll

No need to pity him. I'm certain he has and earns more money than everyone who posted in this thread and counting and if he wanted to do better he could just try and listen. He doesn't care and he is a bean counting sucker.

I think all these threads are ridiculous to a fault, as, if you can't do anything about it why bother. But it's true that he just doesn't get it and will probably shield himself with people who are the same as him. And it might just go well, I mean look at Tim Cook at apple, dude has zero vision, zero charisma and runs the company like he is playing age of empires on easy. But it still prints money even if most of the time they're effectively ripping someone off.

Well, that's what people are reacting to.

EA strategy works because of yearly sports titles, but I can't think of something really good they published this generation without massive caveats like micro-transactions everywhere as they are focusing too much on money. I'm not sure it's a good position for a console manufacturer to be and it'll only get worse with time - it also doesn't have anything to do with vision. He will also ouster a lot of people from it's platform, just like EA did (at several points, EA actually had creators working for them), current EA is a conveyor belt, not somewhere you go to make a game with heart. A platform holder needs those titles to drive sales, not FIFA/Madden, and so on.

THAT SAID, he is not going anywhere soon, even if he was mismanaging the company (and financially he isn't, so what we are talking about while real is abstract and can't be easily put into words for investors and the like) gaming is seeing growth because of the pandemic. He either retires before next gen, or has to screw the PS6 launch.

AND, to be honest a few months ago Microsoft needed all the help they could get to get this generation underway for them. If this helps in the direction of a 50:50 marketshare between the both I think that's positive.

Great post by the way, I enjoyed reading it.
No problem. I try to be rather even keel in how I talk about things. I am a Nintendo based YouTube but I cover everything and I think there are good and bad for all companies really. Even EA where you mention they haven't published anything this generation without massive caveats like microtransactions - they were the publishers of objectively good A Way Out and now It Takes Two. They published those games, they are very good, and they don't have microtransactions. Now sure, MT's are basically an MO now of Activision, ubisoft, and EA. But I don't think they always get in the way either. I think it's mostly fine in Squadrans and there star wars game before that, that are both really good games. Sims 4 has been great for quite a long time.

EA has some really damn good games under their wing and many are tainted some with MT's, but in the end, most of the games are good even if you never spend a dime on MT's. Other games need more work. EA does money grubbing, but they get away with it because they do remind us almost yearly that they can still make some damn great games despite that.

I feel like that's what happens with Jim Ryan. For all the shit he's getting and the downright stupid shit he has said over the last few years, even anti-consumer at times which has helped even Nintendo look better in that regard (minecraft better together update), in the end Sony keeps funding and publishing some really damn great video games and those great games kind of... allow Sony to get away with all the other dumb shit they do under his rule. I think Sony can do better, but so can everyone else. Microsoft is the one I am most interested in now as I think Nintendo and Sony's paths are pretty set in stone and very clear. Microsoft is trying a different way entirely and I am very curious to see how it plays out down the road, as everything they are doing is Phil Spencer's vision entirely. There have been bumps to get here - Halo Infinite getting delayed and some of the trouble behind that games dev is worriesome, but then Outriders, MLB the Show, day one on a very cheap relative to what you get game pass? Heck, people that mocked the Xbox Series S are even starting to back off on that some. It's like, a beast for emulation and while Microsoft doesn't endorse it, they basically gave everyone the tools for a very affordable price to just straight up do it on a very cheap system.

Plus Xcloud is fantastic on android. But we have to see some results of these studio acquisitions now.

Then Nintendo, they know what they are doing, but some of it is pretty ass backwards. Still can't believe they brought friend codes back after dumping them and then decided you know what, we'll go from a neat idea in Miiverse to just, no way to message anyone ever, and using your phone to voice chat.

Gamerguy84

The biggest thing that has changed had been MS opening their wallet and investing in Xbox.

They are investing untold billions right now in everything around their gaming division.

I think some people are blaming all this on Ryan for not reacting yet. I'm not a fan of his but I've withheld judgment so far. If they have no reaction at all I'll feel like they are messing up.

MS is dropping money at an alarming rate at the moment. This is the same company that was going into this gen without their heavy hitter halo or anything exclusive to counter DS, SM, etc.. So they bought Zenimax for billions, they are paying for third party games to be on GP, etc.

Therr is more but I'm not putting it all in one giant post.

So again the only thing that changed was MS did what they do. They didn't have things so they bought things and are currently picking up the tab.

Audiophile

Main issues with Sony is a lack of respect for the legacy in regards to PS1/2/3 and the lack of true next-gen experiences during PS5's launch. There's been past launches with titles thin on the ground but there's always been a couple of titles to show off the platform. This has been quite a departure.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Its fine if playstation exclusive going to PC, but would be extremely stupid if its going to PC day 1.

PS owner may switch to PC > less PS owner > less PSPlus subscriber and less PS software sales > less money for Sony > less funding for 1st party studios to develop exclusive games.

Interfectum

Its fine if playstation exclusive going to PC, but would be extremely stupid if its going to PC day 1.

PS owner may switch to PC > less PS owner > less PSPlus subscriber and less PS software sales > less money for Sony > less funding for 1st party studios to develop exclusive games.
They absolutely should not go day 1 until they have a proper platform in place. Otherwise they are just another third party publisher on Steam / EGS and not really a platform holder.

Just imagine, the customers of a system applauding the decision to deliver them less and less varied games for a higher price, just imagine.
Crazy, isn't?

jm89

Lmao jim ryan is trending on twitter, and people going hard on him. I thought this sentement was just forum stuff but it's slowly gaining traction outside.

Sony's revenue last year $25 billion was higher than both Nintendo and Microsoft combined. $11 and $12 billion.

Whatever they did in the ps4 era clearly worked so not sure why he's going around changing stuff.

If it ain't broken...
What's this got to do with Jim Ryan being awful at his job? PS are treading water and have been for years now, yes they still sell loads but where is the vision for the future?

rolandss

They haven't shown a great amount of strategy or forward thinking, their only moves have been to consolidate and push for more premium AAA development when all signs are pointing to it being unsustainable and unnecessarily risky, they have shuttered iconic studios and Japanese game development at a time when tastes were turning back toward japan and cultural cache was rising. They have been caught sleeping in their response to gamepass, denying only a year ago that it would be sustainable and instead bumping the cost of their games at a time when disposable income is harder to come by. They have failed to leverage their history which is their largest advantage over Microsoft. Recent news of them shutting down stores, harming the perception of digital ownership while trying to go digital, this is all short sighted, short term, profit seeking moves that all these copy paste clueless suits make.
Japan Studio, who’s only notable output in the last decade was the Last Guardian, which mind you was supposed to be a PS3 game and it showed, was reorganised around another Japan based team at Asobi, and people are losing their shit. There’s plenty of life in Japanese studios and devs like Polyphony (first party), Sega, FromSoftware, Kojima etc. putting stuff out on PlayStation to keep you happy.

Spacefish

Japan Studio, who’s only notable output in the last decade was the Last Guardian, which mind you was supposed to be a PS3 game and it showed, was reorganised around another Japan based team at Asobi, and people are losing their shit. There’s plenty of life in Japanese studios and devs like Polyphony (first party), Sega, FromSoftware, Kojima etc. putting stuff out on PlayStation to keep you happy.
you just weren't paying attention, in the last decade they released, Gravity rush 1 and 2, Tokyo jungle, Puppeteer, Rain and were support on everything from Bloodborne to demon souls, Shadow of the colossus remake, multiple hotshots golf games, soul sacrifice, tomorrow children and much more, their hands were all over the place, no matter what they did it was always interesting. They even managed to shit out 2 knack games which I blame on mark Cerny, who the fuck thought it was a good idea to let him (someone who never directed a game before) waste their time, I have no idea. Asobi IS a japan studio team, the astro bot games are Japan studio, they were making demo's for controllers and they were only ever used as a salesman for peripherals prior to this, another waste of their talent. Japan studio isn't really a single studio, its a name for their entire Japanese first party development besides granturismo. Sony have shown over and over that they don't care about Japanese games, third parties from japan are already moving to Nintendo, pc and where ever else they can find a home. I'm not buying a ps5 for third party, I'm not buying one at all, I have a pc already and the end of Japanese development has left them with media molecule as the sole creative dev.

GHG

• Not treat owners of older consoles with digital capabilities with disdain - keep the PS3 and Vita stores running. I'm baffled that people are ok with this. It would be like Steam saying they will stop selling games that released prior to 2013/14 on their storefront, there would be riots. It's a zero respect move.
  • In relation to the first point, get PS3/PS2/PS1/PSP/Vita emulation on PS5 sorted out once and for all. Sony have a back catalogue that is up there with Nintendo's, use it. They can also use that opportunity to roll the PS3/Vita stores into the current one.
  • Scrap the first party cross gen games. They said they wouldn't do it, do as you say, don't bullshit people.
  • Price your games appropriately. Returnal for $70 is a joke and stinks of greed. They are setting it up to get destroyed in the press and sales due to that decision alone.
  • What's going on with VR? Yes it's niche but it's an area of innovation that differentiates you from your competitors, talk about it and use it to your advantage.
  • What's going on with their studios in Japan? For me the quirky Japanese titles are what made playstation, astrobot is a nice throwback to that but we need more, not less of that. If Hulst and Ryan can't see or don't recognise that then they probably aren't the right people to take playstation forward and Sony need executives that respect the roots of the brand.
And the big one:
  • Sort your fucking contracts out. They somehow turned what was once a position of strength with the MLB into a weakness. When the MLB said it needs to go multiplat or they won't allow Sony to develop it anymore how did they not think that in that situation it's more hassle and work for the MLB to go out there and find a new developer who will need to start from scratch than it is for them to continue their relationship with Sony? The conversion should have been "ok, we will continue to do it and make it multiplatform but what do we get in return?". Also realise that gamepass is the best thing your competitor has going for then so get something written in there that prevents the game you developed from appearing on the service. Them getting blindsided there tells everyone they don't have the correct mindset when approaching any of this. Don't be surprised if Kojima ends up in bed with Microsoft in the next few months.
The PS5 is currently living off the success of the PS4 (as the PS3 did in relation to the PS2 when it launched) but that won't last much longer if the current trajectory continues.

Revisiting my post above, 1 down 6 to go Jim.

tenor.gif

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Revisiting my post above, 1 down 6 to go Jim.

tenor.gif
Your last point is especially odd to me. Sony could have definitely shelled out the money to keep MLB happy, but at the end of the day they knew it wasn't worth it. MLB viewership is down and they ask for more than the product is worth.

MLB Viewership by year
6MYQqBJ.png

They should be happy that Sony has managed to pump out consistent high quality entries every year, unlike some other major American sports franchises. I'm skeptical of the number of people who's console purchase is based solely on MLB, but only Sony knows for sure and they know what the franchise is really worth. My question is if the devs make any money off micro-transactions or if it belongs solely to the publisher. Who cares if Microsoft picks up the tab so Xbox gamers with a premium subscription can play for "free"? Again if Sony gets a cut of store sales (especially micro transactions), they are likely laughing their way to the bank.

TheAssist

If anything they are going backwards instead of being forward thinking.

Give me one good reason why in 2021 they need to shut down a digital storefront.

Because of the legacy code running on this storefront and the fact that it inhibits the integration of new features (remember how long it took to make name changes possible, thats the because of the old PSN backbone). Also maintaining it costs resources. I know its weird right, it all digital, why do people need to work on that :O:O:O

There yyou hae a reason. Can we close it now?

graywolf323

Because of the legacy code running on this storefront and the fact that it inhibits the integration of new features (remember how long it took to make name changes possible, thats the because of the old PSN backbone). Also maintaining it costs resources. I know its weird right, it all digital, why do people need to work on that :O:O:O

I wonder if they've figured out how to sandbox it which is why they'll keep it open

TheAssist

I wonder if they've figured out how to sandbox it which is why they'll keep it open

I dont think so. They couldnt find a solution during the entire PS4 gen. They probably didnt find one in 1 week. Unless they always had this as plan B abd justed wated to wait for the public reception.

GHG

Try again.

The ps3/vita storefront is decoupled from the current PS4/5 storefront.

Keeping the PS3/vita storefront open has no impact on the development of the store that exists across the PS4/PS5.

yurinka

What's this got to do with Jim Ryan being awful at his job? PS are treading water and have been for years now, yes they still sell loads but where is the vision for the future?
Jim Ryan is a CEO, his job is to turn their business into a money printer. You quoted a post that mentions they just made more money than both direct competitors combined. How is he doing an awful job?

They also sell more consoles than anybody ever did, sell more games for their consoles than anybody ever did, release more AAA exclusives for their systems, more indie exclusives for their systems, they release every year or generation more new IPs than their direct competition, their exclusives sell more than ever did and win more GOTY awards than their direct competitors or themselves ever did, they are the only console maker with working VR and cloud gaming, their game subscriptions have more subscribers and generate more money than their direct competition ones.

They are dominating in all fronts. So their strategy is to basically continue doing the same they did until now. Logical next gen iterations for their hardware (PSVR2) and services (next gen PS Now) addressing the main issues they had in the previous gen, to continue tweaking their console firmware with remaining stuff and to continue releasing a huge library of exclusive games, both big and small, both published by them or by 3rd party, plus securing that basically every 3rd party supports them with multis, plus the strategic ones with a marketing deal.

And like any company, to grow their successful studios and to downsize or shut down their unsuccessful ones even if they have more patience with that than any other big publisher. They will also continue making acquisitions when they see fit, mostly development studios with a story of previously making successful exclusives for them. Like any company, in their big blockbusters will focus on the their currently most popular brands plus new IPs, releasing way more AAA IPs than any other big publisher every generation.

From what they said and what we have seen their strategy is to continue dominating the consoles market by mostly doing the same they did until now with a few common sense tweaks.

Last edited:

TheAssist

Try again.

The ps3/vita storefront is decoupled from the current PS4/5 storefront.

Keeping the PS3/vita storefront open has no impact on the development of the store that exists across the PS4/PS5.
The Storefronts might be, but I'm pretty sure they still have to run some PSN legacy code in the background. Why else did it take them so long for the name changes to happen. I think they want to get rid of all that.

In the end I dont think either if us have the real answer for it. At the very least it costs them quite a bit of money to maintain the stores, but they are not making them any money. I can totally see it from a business stand point and personally I wouldnt be too sad about it. Its only logical and hardly anyone is really using it anyway. Its a big outcry over nothing really.

And I stated in other comments in other threads that game preservation has never been the responsibility of the owner of the storefront but the developer and publisher. If they wanted they could release the source code at some point and the game would be preserved threw emulation, like most older games.

I think this is more of a political problem, since I believe you should be able to sell digital products in some way. Binding it to one user ID for life is a problem. But no one bets an eye that you cant buy new PSP games at Walmart. Digital distrubuition (just like physical) costs money and hence can not go on for ever and developers, publishers and consumers need to accept that. And yeah maybe we need political solutions to free the digital market from what it is right now to become more independent of these digital store fronts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom