• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John “TotalBiscuit” Bain to be inducted into Esports Hall of Fame at ESL One Hamburg 2018 as first non-player

Dunki

A true gaming legend will be inducted into the Esports Hall of Fame presented by paysafecard during ESL One Hamburg 2018 at the end of October - John Peter “TotalBiscuit” Bain.

From forming WoW Radio to his numerous YouTube shows and podcasts, TotalBiscuit was widely respected for his vast influences across the gaming community and his prominence also shaped the esports scenes around him. While he was never a player himself, countless events were managed, sponsored, commentated and produced by this true supporter of the sport. Aside from driving people towards esports titles such as StarCraft 2 and Dota 2, he even formed a professional StarCraft 2 team himself - Axiom.

His influence on the esports scene can not be understated as his passion and support helped drive various competitive titles towards the heights they reached today. He left behind a body of work unmatched by any other while still managing to give a voice to indie scenes and breakout players.

His contributions to the industry are immeasurable and as such we are honored to induct him into the Esports Hall of Fame as the first non-player. His legacy will live on.

https://www.eslgaming.com/article/j...me-esl-one-hamburg-2018-first-non-player-4080

This is so cool I. Mad Respect to the ESL

Mathrin

How long till someone shittalks him though - I agree his contributions make it well deserved but you just know someones going to start protesting about him. It's a shame really.

Gold_Loot

Oh god. I can smell the NPC’s updating as we speak.

Good news though. Hopefully this can stay positive for his family that’s left behind.

Codes 208

TB was easily one of my favorite game vloggers, his critiques qlmost never seemed unfair or biased and i always felt that was rare these days. Most of the time anyway. Rip man.

Also. Fuck you too, cancer.

Traianvs

Love him or hate him this is an award for his support for the esport scene and he did A LOT for it, so he fully deserves it.
That's all

Blam

Yeah they recieved so many reports apparently that they've had to lock it for a bit. It went down exactly as you'd expect, but it was a fun read regardless.
I'll have to look into it if I can find the thread, if not would ya be able to dm me it?

Ugh. I read that thread. Unbelievable that supposed “good” people are willing to shit on someone after their death. A lot of those people are as bad as the people they rail against. Smh

Dunki

Ugh. I read that thread. Unbelievable that supposed “good” people are willing to shit on someone after their death. A lot of those people are as bad as the people they rail against. Smh
It is not even that. It is they are lying their asses of about him. John was the last person on earth who would accept harassment. When he had trans people on his show and the chat was getting disgusting he was the first to permanently ban them and made it very clear if they do this he does nothing want to do with them and that they can keep their money (subs etc). It is really disgusting when you think that his wife would most likely read it as well

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
It is not even that. It is they are lying their asses of about him. John was the last person on earth who would accept harassment. When he had trans people on his show and the chat was getting disgusting he was the first to permanently ban them and made it very clear if they do this he does nothing want to do with them and that they can keep their money (subs etc). It is really disgusting when you think that his wife would most likely read it as well
Hell, they have people there still claiming that Rockstar forced their employees to work 100 hours.

Never let the truth get in the way of a juicy story.

Nydus

Fuck. Now I miss him again. Damn those king of the hill streams where something else. And I still have the video saved where he answered my questions in the mailbox.

Fuck cancer and fuck reeera for dancing on people's graves. I won't even look at their thread, I would get mad again, articulate my anger in a civilized way and get banned again by the nice guy with the fedora.

JD_Shadow

Neo Member
God, I read that ResetERA thread. The way they went about things. Some tried to bring some common sense into the discussion, but even that brought some problems.
  • The very fundamental aspect of the argument is if Gamergate was a hate movement. No, it wasn't because there was no group. It was a name of a controversy. There were people that were utter dicks that were "fighting the good fight" that were just being idiots that were feeding off of those that were concerned about what was really going on. TB was fighting the latter, not the former. Never was anything else.
  • They kept harking about a review. No review was in contention (though that's how they get people to side with them because the date of the supposed review coincides with the infamous Zoe Post). The actual article in contention was about the Polaris Game Jam, which Grayson wrote an article about while him and Quinn were still "just friends". The affair began well after the article was written. Not to mention the term GamerGate came up after the "gamers are dead" articles, which no one in ERA decided to even bring into the conversation.
  • Just because people like Breitbart and Milo were dicks didn't mean that everyone decided to be the same. There are those that tried to denounce the hate, but leave it to those with a vested interest of killing the discussion of something that would incriminate them by any means necessary to do just that. They had every intention of vilifying everyone and scaring everyone into staying silent about things. Couldn't parse anything. You didn't even have to say the words "GamerGate". Just say "ethics in gaming journalism" and see the triggers be pulled, as if that was somehow taboo to ask for because the main targets in that sea were also third-wave feminists who knew how to combat things, and the media who have thwarted attacks like that for years without the public even knowing that an attack on them existed. Apparently, no one who asked for disclosure was doing it sincerely, and was just joining in on whatever harassment existed.
  • And about that harassment. Umm...what's your definition of it? Because while I'm sure there were assholes involved, the majority were just trying to get answers to legitimate criticisms that they felt were never going to get answered. They were calling that harassment, too, because they knew that was the way to get out of having to answer those questions while discrediting and vilifying those who were just asking for the receipt for the emperor's new clothes. Parsing that is inconvenient to ERA's agenda here. It's easy to say they were being harassed when your definition of that term is so vague it's more of a catch 22 than an actual crime.
  • How many ways did they spin TB's words in that thread, not to mention saying "oh, he amplified the hate"?
  • Or "women still feel the effects"? WHICH WOMEN?! You mean the ones that now have to be questioned when they actually get harassed? Oh, or do you mean people like Jessica Price, who just didn't know when to stop because she had the usual suspects shielding her because she was being too much of an asshole to realize that she's got her morals backwards (either that or she's knowing how to play the game of victimhood in ways that we've never seen...and yes, I heard she's STILL at it, and STILL doesn't get it, and now has Kathleen Cross defending her). You mean THOSE women who got what was coming to them in terms of being fired for things that any company that is sane and just would fire someone for? I wouldn't put it past ERA to say that Jessica Price was one of those women they're saying were still feeling the effects.
  • This is a firm sign of tribalism and authoritarianism getting out of control. Liberals ARE allowed to call out their own side, as well as those on the conservative end, but it does seem like moderates lose their voices to things like this. Moderates need to get their voices back somehow, because we keep seeing this happen.
Bottom line: they will not parse the people who hated others from the rest of the pack because it is the rest of the pack that they are trying to bring down. TB deserves this award. He put e-sports on the fucking MAP! He's the man who legitimized e-sports and made us look at it as a serious sport. And he did this because he was genuinely excited about it. He was someone who you could tell was really excited to cover it, talk about it, even coach it for a time. He had that passion for it that no one will ever be able to legitimately deny. That's why he's being inducted. If it wasn't for him, we wouldn't be seeing games like Overwatch or Fortnite right now trying to cater to those crowds. We wouldn't be seeing a push by major sports networks to cover them. Like it or not, or believe it or not, you can thank TB for having a major hand in that.

But ResetERA is not only showing no shame in once more showing who they really are, but they are making it very clear that they don't know what the fuck they are really talking about. Gamergate a hate mob? Only when people like them began to believe that their tribalism were the only kind that were allowed to have any sort of voice. And to deny that by highlighting one of TB's tweets that said that and not see the irony of that and what they are doing now (where you can never question people from your own side, which is the very lifeblood of a fucking DEMOCRACY) is just telling of how out of control this sort of mentality is. Were there bad people who were touting that banner just to get page clicks? Of course! Hell, I'm talking about one of them now! But to think for one second that there weren't sane people, who wanted to talk about all those times that journalists found it good to shame the very people they were supposed to say were normal, and suddenly turn their back on them, and then to make them out to be bigoted, awful people, and then never have the nerve to just say "we screwed up" and won't even look back, is ludicrous.

And I'm sure someone from ResetERA is probably reading this thread, ready to go back to that forum, or to r/games, and tell their best friends who will never once challenge them of "oh, look what NeoGAF said about us now", or will rant about how bad this board is now, or will whine and cry that KotakuinAction exists still, or will find the first game pundit that will bring Gamergate up the fuck out of nowhere in a completely irrelevant article about DLC or some shit like that (you know, because that's the way Gamergate has ACTUALLY lived for four years now: because those that were pissed that it even happened keep interjecting it at every single opportunity...proving that without Gamergate, they are as irrelevant as shit). Let me challenge you:

Make an account HERE! Post your response to what I'm saying right now about your behavior in that thread HERE! Put yourself into the line of fire, and prove that you are just as convinced about your beliefs when you are not forever shielded by mods that will provide a safe space for you by banning anyone who dares to challenge you. You know they tried the same thing here, and when the heat went onto the one person who gave them their chance to shine, they proved how disloyal they were. But it was a blessing in disguise, because at the end of the day, this board became ten times better when we saw those mods' true colors, and Tyler was able to get back control of the chaos, and show that being liberal didn't mean you had to agree with EVERYTHING anyone ever said. Tyler chose to rebuild, and NeoGAF is better for that. So why don't you choose to say your piece here and challenge US! Challenge ME! All of us as to why TB doesn't deserve this award, or why he seemed to amplify something you consider a hate movement and, in the assumption it is, how it's fair that that null and voids any possible discussion about things like transparency and honesty and fairness in games media, or in any media (hell, what was said about Grayson and Quinn I also say, and ALL of us, have said about the constant nepotism that has gone on at places like Fox News for AGES. It's nothing different). Not sure if you will TAKE that invitation. I'm just a normal GAF member, but I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one who would want one of them to come on here and say that on "enemy territory".

TB deserves this award, and he should be the EMBODIMENT of a Lifetime Achievement Award going forward. ERA's attitude shows that they need to still learn from what TB tried to teach us!

Top Bottom