• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Carmack on PS4 vs. Xbox One Specs: They're 'Very Close'

IN&OUT

Banned
This is such a bullshit argument. If you are labeling the concerns of console gamers as "insecurities" and "dumb conversations", than you have missed the point completely.

This debate whether or not the PS4 will have a performance edge is relevant to the here and now. What IS bullshit is making light of a situation that will impact an entire generation.

We lived an entire generation where the minutia of visual enhancements were microscopically analyzed and flaunted. In an era where 360 and PS3 performance differences were subacute; we've seen port differences the likes of Red Dead Redemption, Bayonetta, Call of Duty Black Ops, Final Fantasy XIII, Ghostbusters etc. etc. etc. etc.

SHOCKING NEWS- on paper, the difference in performance between PS4/X1 is larger than 360/PS3. The biggest difference this time is similar architecture.

Whether PC gamer's like to believe it or not, console development sets an ambition for visual fidelity. Many people, including me (who owns a PC rig), don't care for the complexity, the small community, or the technical nags of PC gaming. I understand it's appeal, but let's be serious here, is it wrong for people to want console performance to be as high as possible? PC gamer's love to shit on the plebians with the $399 machine, but they have yet to understand there bloated and underutilized hardware indirectly benefits from these "1.8 TF last gen middling GPUs".

(Drops mic)

This ladies and gentlemen seals the deal.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
So the context of his statement was that both systems use the same AMD architectures (Jaguar and GCN for both). A Lot of fuss about nothing. ^_^

We still did manage to get 8 pages outta it, bwhaha

Chobel

Rough transcript: "... it's almost amazing how close they are in capabilities, how common they are and uh that the capabilities they give are essentially the same. We can talk about differences in memory architectures, but, the bottom line being that they're a multicore AMD processor with AMD graphics, is, it's almost weird how close they are."
Starting at 16 minutes and 22 seconds here

So he never compared the performance or the specs... All this fuss because nobody watched the damn video (ironically neither did I).
The title need to be changed, it's very misleading.

Truespeed said:
No, he just gave a very PC answer as to not upset anyone. It's funny to hear Carmack say that the 360 is more powerful than the PS4 and then have him declare that the 2 new consoles are similar in power. It's a bit contradictory when you consider the minuscule differences between the architecture of PS3 and 360 and the clear and obvious architectural advantage of the PS4 over the Xbox One. Does not compute.

Still not buying it. We won't notice any differences in 3rd party games anyway. If you like to go on about each systems architecture, then go ahead. I'm done.

Btw, my not buying an xbone was never because of any kind of graphical difference anyway.We should be looking at other things.

FranXico

So he never compared the performance or the specs... All this fuss because nobody watched the damn video (ironically neither did I).

So, he is comparing the architecture without any considerations for performance?

Rough transcript: "... it's almost amazing how close they are in capabilities, how common they are and uh that the capabilities they give are essentially the same. We can talk about differences in memory architectures, but, the bottom line being that they're a multicore AMD processor with AMD graphics, is, it's almost weird how close they are."
Starting at 16 minutes and 22 seconds here

Most important part of that quote....

Carmack: "Now obviously, I am still under NDA. So I can't talk about the juicy technical details... but there is enough out there in public records that there will still be discussion about it"

and.....

Carmack: "We can discuss the different memory architectures, but bottom line is that they are both AMD multi-core with AMD graphics, it's almost weird how close they are"

JABEE

Carmack: "Now obviously, I am still under NDA. So I can't talk about the juicy technical details... but there is enough out there in public records that there will still be discussion about it"

and.....

Carmack: "We can discuss the different memory architectures, but bottom line is that they are both AMD multi-core with AMD graphics, it's almost weird how close they are"

So, he was basically commenting on the AMD architecture? How did someone like Kotaku who had a writer at the event extrapolate what he said to mean that they had similar power?

peakish

and.....

Then he goes on to talk about the types of architecture that could have been in the consoles, framing the context of them being 'very close'. But for system warriors every comment obviously has to fit an agenda.

Chobel

So, he is comparing the architecture without any considerations for performance?

he also said "it's almost amazing how close they are in capabilities, how common they are and uh that the capabilities they give are essentially the same" but the word "capabilities" is open to many interpretations and from my understanding he meant it as console development APIs.

FranXico

He clearly states he hasn't made any benchmarks yet. "Close" does mean close, though.

The Kinect is like a zero-button mouse with a lot of latency

citizen_cane.gif

Chobel

about this sentence:
The Kinect is like a zero-button mouse with a lot of latency

How much latency are we talking about? I watched the Kinect 2 demo and it looked to work in real time no lags whatsoever.

As an owner of the 360 kinect which saw use only for dance games for the significant other, I have to say Carmack is right on the money about Kinect.

Fuck it.

he also said "it's almost amazing how close they are in capabilities, how common they are and uh that the capabilities they give are essentially the same" but the word "capabilities" is open to many interpretations and from my understanding he meant it as console development APIs.

Yeah, pretty much, he did mean they are close to each other in capabilities, but as you have said, that is pretty open to interpretation. He was treading around the topic lightly.

* can't get "under the hood" like they used to be able to with consoles (sorry metal programmers).

Heh. After the " 8GB GDDR5!" argument lost steam with the whole OS RAM issue, hopefully it's time for the "coding to the metal" thing to die off.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
As an owner of the 360 kinect which saw use only for dance games for the significant other, I have to say Carmack is right on the money about Kinect.

Fuck it.

Kinect1 yeah
Kinect2, not so much.

It is vastly improved from previous, the sensitivity, more powerful sensors and the higher transfer speed does make quite the difference.

I argue that Carmack has not tested Kinect2 yet.. ohh sorry.. he has not "benchmarked" it yet..

jaypah

This is such a bullshit argument. If you are labeling the concerns of console gamers as "insecurities" and "dumb conversations", than you have missed the point completely.

This debate whether or not the PS4 will have a performance edge is relevant to the here and now. What IS bullshit is making light of a situation that will impact an entire generation.

We lived an entire generation where the minutia of visual enhancements were microscopically analyzed and flaunted. In an era where 360 and PS3 performance differences were subacute; we've seen port differences the likes of Red Dead Redemption, Bayonetta, Call of Duty Black Ops, Final Fantasy XIII, Ghostbusters etc. etc. etc. etc.

SHOCKING NEWS- on paper, the difference in performance between PS4/X1 is larger than 360/PS3. The biggest difference this time is similar architecture.

Whether PC gamer's like to believe it or not, console development sets an ambition for visual fidelity. Many people, including me (who owns a PC rig), don't care for the complexity, the small community, or the technical nags of PC gaming. I understand it's appeal, but let's be serious here, is it wrong for people to want console performance to be as high as possible? PC gamer's love to shit on the plebians with the $399 machine, but they have yet to understand there bloated and underutilized hardware indirectly benefits from these "1.8 TF last gen middling GPUs".

(Drops mic)

I don't think you'll find many PC gamers on GAF who aren't happy that the generation transition will raise the baseline. In fact they've been kind of asking for it for around 2 years now. We're all gaming enthusiasts so it's not surprising that gamers from all sides would want to be in on the discussion. People can't rant and rave about the "substantial" power difference between the PS4 and 180 and expect a whole section of the community (PC gamers) to not chime in. It just doesn't work like that. The WiiU gets trolled nonstop for it's graphical abilities by people who plan on buying a PS4/180 and in return PC gamers laugh at those who wear that 1.8tf like a badge of honor. I don't see what's wrong with that.

I preordered the PS4 for a lot of reasons, price and power being chief amongst them. I like new hardware and it beats my current PC by a good bit. But I understand that there are people out there with multiple Titans which means that powerwise my PS4 ain't shit. So if I decide to get cocky because Watch_Dogs for PS4 wins a DF faceoff I expect someone with better hardware to find that funny. That's fair play.

about this sentence:

How much latency are we talking about? I watched the Kinect 2 demo and it looked to work in real time no lags whatsoever.

I've seen lag in a video of a demo for Kinect 2.0. Not as bad as the first Kinect but noticeable. Granted I was actively looking for it...

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Nice Safe observation by Carmack there. Being Politically Correct is he? Well at least he tells it like it is about Kinect. The joke is that not many 3rd party developers seem to talk about, or show any excitement for.

I don't get why people think this kind of stuff.

Mark Cerny talks, It's gospel!

MS talk, it's lies (probably true lol) Major nelson can't catch a break lol

Anyone who is working on both is basically being nice to both, even though they have always been honest about things. I've always trusted Carmack, He never bullshits. He has no horse in this race. I don't get why he wouldn't just tell it like it is.

basically, the only person we can trust is Mark Cerny

By the way I am not targeting this post at you. It's at the people with that general consensus :D

sono

A couple of quotes from that

"I am still not really sold on Kinect"
"Kinect still has some fundamental limitations"
"fundamentally a poor interaction"

"The ps3 move where you actually have buttons on it ... I think have some fundamental advantages"

FranXico

I don't get why people think this kind of stuff.

Mark Cerny talks, It's gospel!

MS talk, it's lies (probably true lol) Major nelson can't catch a break lol

Remember last gen?

Sony exec/developer/PR talks: ZOMG Phony liars!!!!

MS exec/developer/Nelson talks: It's gospel!

If you were not ok with this last gen either, you would "get" why people think this kind of stuff.

jaypah

A couple of quotes from that

"I am still not really sold on Kinect"
"Kinect still has some fundamental limitations"
"fundamentally a poor interaction"

"The ps3 move where you actually have buttons on it ... I think have some fundamental advantages"

Yeah, the dude hates latency and loves buttons. Listen to him talk about Rift to see how religious he gets about latency.

Coiote

People championing the port superiority of PS4 over the Xbone are setting themselves for a huge meltdown on launch.

The majority of the portfolio of both systems consists basically of cross gen titles. With studios developing for four to six platforms, some versions will most assuredly be farmed to other teams. The only thing the Xbone version needs to have an edge is to be developed by the A team and get the PS4 version to be farmed to a B team. Think with me, The Crew Xbone version is supposed to be developed by the main studio, while the PS4's one is being farmed to another devs. If the Xbone version performs better, in this case, will anyone be surprised?

Nevertheless, some people will remember what Thuway and others said and will use these exemples to undeservedly shit on them.

jaypah

People championing the port superiority of PS4 over the Xbone are setting themselves for a meltdown on launch.

The majority of the portfolio of both systems consists basically of cross gen titles. With studios developing for four to six platforms, some versions will most assuredly be farmed to other teams. The only thing the Xbone version needs to have an edge is to be developed by the A team and get the PS4 version to be farmed to a B team. Think with me, The Crew Xbone version is supposed to be developed by the main studio, while the PS4's one is being farmed to another devs. If the Xbone version performs better, in this case, will anyone be surprised?

Nevertheless, some people will remember what Thuway and other said and will use these exemples to undeservedly shit on them.

I see absolutely zero reason for 180 versions of multiplat games to run better than PS4 versions. If it happens I'd probably just assume that the devs were incompetent at some part of their job. 2 consoles, same basic architecture and one of them is more powerful in multiple ways. There's no excuse, really.

FranXico

The only thing the Xbone version needs to have an edge is to be developed by the A team and get the PS4 version to be farmed to a B team. Think with me, The Crew Xbone version is supposed to be developed by the main studio, while the PS4's one is being farmed to another devs. If the Xbone version performs better, in this case, will anyone be surprised?

Well, if studios remain in bed with Microsoft, of course no amount of superior hardware will matter. Then, it will probably be like last gen all over again. Moneyhats will decide which version looks best. MS will of course win with their nigh limitless resources, with Sony managing to buy off perhaps a couple of superior ports. :(

So, he was basically commenting on the AMD architecture? How did someone like Kotaku who had a writer at the event extrapolate what he said to mean that they had similar power?

The same way the xbone gaf brigade came to this thread accusing people the ps4 defense brigade they just want to see the xbone be slower essentially out of spite then start lifting Carmack up as god's own prototype and put words into his sanctified pie hole and dismiss fact for wishful thinking.

Console wars have already taken its toll on intellectual honesty in 2013.

strata8

Well, if studios remain in bed with Microsoft, of course no amount of superior hardware will matter. Then, it will probably be like last gen all over again. Moneyhats will decide which version looks best. MS will of course win with their nigh limitless resources, with Sony managing to buy off perhaps a couple of superior ports. :(

Are you trying to imply that the reason games last gen performed better on the 360 was because the studios were in bed with Microsoft?

Even if Carmack was talking about performance--the quotes aren't very precise with their language--then "very close" might just be a relative thing. From what we think we know, PS4 seems more powerful than One to the tune of, in one example, 600 Gflops on the GPU. Since the One's rumored GPU is only ~1200 Gflops total, in console terms a 600 Gflop difference seems substantial at 50%.

But if you have long experience with PCs like Carmack, and continue to build games for that platform, then you're used to handling much larger gaps. Your game needs to run on, say, a GTX 550 Ti, and also on a GTX 770--a relative Gflop difference of about 450%, and an absolute difference double the Gflops of the entire One GPU.

FranXico

Are you trying to imply that the reason games last gen performed better on the 360 was because the studios were in bed with Microsoft?

"in bed" == used to their tools, etc. Developers get used to a set of toolkits and find it difficult to switch back and forth.

A few cases may have been like real moneyhats, though. Most obvious example: the Portal 2 port looked like a moneyhat from Sony. There was absolutely no reason for that game to look so bad on the 360. Similar situations may have happened the other way around.

Disclaimer: this is all obviously speculation.

Abominuz

Banned
Even if Carmack was talking about performance--the quotes aren't very precise with their language--then "very close" might just be a relative thing. From what we think we know, PS4 seems more powerful than One to the tune of, in one example, 600 Gflops on the GPU. Since the One's rumored GPU is only ~1200 Gflops total, in console terms a 600 Gflop difference seems substantial at 50%.

But if you have long experience with PCs like Carmack, and continue to build games for that platform, then you're used to handling much larger gaps. Your game needs to run on, say, a GTX 550 Ti, and also on a GTX 770--a relative Gflop difference of about 450%, and an absolute difference double the Gflops of the entire One GPU.

Exactly, this generations gap isnt even that big from a PC point of view.
And from a developer standpoint, do you thinking they will put in the extra effort, manpower, money and time to make the PS4 slightly better ?
You will only see first party getting every inch out of the console.
And it will be Gears vs Uncharted war all over again.

Pistolero

Didnt he say the same exact thing about the PS3/360?

I don't remember the exact quote, but he said that the PS3 has a little bit more raw power, but was more difficult to program for. Fair assessement.
Waiting for his opinion once he gets the possibility of comparing both the PS4 and the Xbox-One on a technical level, past the obvious underlying similarities, that is.

And from a developer standpoint, do you thinking they will put in the extra effort, manpower, money and time to make the PS4 slightly better ?
You will only see first party getting every inch out of the console.
I'm not sure that necessarily follows. The machines this gen are more alike than they have ever been, which will lower the effort necessary to get better results on the better hardware. Fiddly specializations like the PS4's Garlic/Onion busses or the One's eSRAM and DMEs may not get tapped out by third parties, but even they should easily find uses for extra compute units.

It remains to be seen how different the end results may be, though.

ekim

no
there is another quote:
EDIT: Starting from 24:49 - "Now everyone would like me to come out with some, some A over B comparison about the 2 platforms, and to be completely honest, I haven't done really rigorous benchmarking on them, so even if I didn't have NDA protection I couldn't give you a really completely honest answer. But, they're very close. They're both very good."

ekim

Gemüsepizza;74352023 said:
Still doesn't tell us how he defines "very close".

I would assume, from context, he is speaking about performance but "very close" could also just mean "40 vs 60 FPS"... don't know

madmackem

Hes on the money with kinect, we are being forced a bit of tech that they have shown fucking zero reason why. I can shout at my tv right now with the pos kinect one, and my tv has built in voice and face detection ive used it once. I have a feeling kinect 2 is going to end up like kinect 1, a bit of plastic i have around my tv that gets used twice a year when family is around.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Didnt he say the same exact thing about the PS3/360?

He said similar things...the most he differentiated on, on a 'capability' front was that if - in theory - you were doing something very simulation heavy, and you put in a lot of sweat equity, you might get better performance out of PS3.

I think most would agree that masked a more complicated picture reflected in general multiplatform performance and exclusives. At least if you're picky about relative quality.

I think at this point - and this was already the case in the last generation - Carmack is far more concerned with how a machine fits into their production process than anything else. Once your machine can run the game he wants to make, he's way more concerned with how easy/cheap it is to work with. That drove the majority of his commentary around PS3 and 360, the majority of his criticism of PS3. That he now doesn't appear to endorse one dev environment over the other with PS4 and Xbox One is a big improvement for Sony.

I think you'd really have to be showing something that's multiple times more powerful than a competitor for Carmack to particularly care about the difference. A 50% difference, for example, is not very much if elsewhere (like in their PC targets) you're dealing with a range of performance that can be separated by an order of magnitude or more.

Anyway, it was an interesting talk as always.

I disagreed with his commentary around the used games 'witch hunt'...

The stuff about displays and persistence was illuminating.

His commentary on motion controls was interesting, and a change vs before. I think he's saying now what some of us were saying a couple of years ago. Back then I think he kind of lumped them all into one category, but I guess the advent of HMDs and VR again has allowed him to appreciate the differences and appreciate what PS Move is doing. 'A no-button high latency mouse' is an eloquent short hand for Kinect's most fundamental shortcomings :p

His talk about OSes and paging...made me think slightly of Sony exposing some FreeBSD virtual memory functionality in PS4. Dunno if that's opening a window on some of things he wants there, but thought of that while he spoke.

Looking forward to his rendering talk.

Top Bottom