• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Legere announces new T-Mobile One improvements to counter Verizon "Unlimited"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rather than keep bothering anu about details, I hit a store up during lunch and I think the deal is even better.

Paying now:

3 lines, 15GB shared data (w/ rollover): 170
-24% discount : ~135

vs

4 lines, Unlimited everything: 160
-$5 autopay per line: 140 MAYBE NOT
-potential 20% discount: 112 PROBABLY 128

I could even do five lines for 124. PLUS 3x$150 gift cards for the ported numbers. PLUS no contracts, so if coverage doesn't work out it isn't a big deal.

I'm really not seeing a downside here aside from out-of-area coverage, and that's something we'd only run into a few times a year. As soon as I can get the instructions for the discount, I'm gone. I would have done it right at the store but I wasn't sure about screwing up the potential discount.

Excuse me while I go pay off the last $150 of the AT&T Next phone.

Wait, I think I was told wrong on that extra $5 off per line. Well, it's still worth trying.

I am seriously thinking about switching. Thing is my dad works for AT&T so yeah there is that.

Currently there are 5 people on our plan:
Me
Sister
Mother
Father
And my cousin

My cousin doesn't really pull her own weight on the bill, my sister is still in college with a small job, my dad doesn't pay anything but we get a discount with him being on there. My mom basically pays me cash every month for the bill and I pay the rest. I get like $120 from her so I am essentially paying $110. If I switch to T-Mobile by myself I'd be paying about $70 for my own shit. I have an iPhone 6 upgrade plan through Apple and they are pretty good about being your own device.

Seriously thinking about this. My only issue that I'm concerned about is, I am in an office building at work in philly and I hear T-Mobile isn't good at penetrating buildings. Right now I can stream some of the halo competition through beam.pro app on my phone and it looks solid. However I've heard they made great network enhancements.

Lifeline

I am seriously thinking about switching. Thing is my dad works for AT&T so yeah there is that.

Currently there are 5 people on our plan:
Me
Sister
Mother
Father
And my cousin

My cousin doesn't really pull her own weight on the bill, my sister is still in college with a small job, my dad doesn't pay anything but we get a discount with him being on there. My mom basically pays me cash every month for the bill and I pay the rest. I get like $120 from her so I am essentially paying $110. If I switch to T-Mobile by myself I'd be paying about $70 for my own shit. I have an iPhone 6 upgrade plan through Apple and they are pretty good about being your own device.

Seriously thinking about this. My only issue that I'm concerned about is, I am in an office building at work in philly and I hear T-Mobile isn't good at penetrating buildings. Right now I can stream some of the halo competition through beam.pro app on my phone and it looks solid. However I've heard they made great network enhancements.

Switch with two people so you can take advantage of the $100 for two lines discount. Switch with someone who doesn't use a lot of data and if they use less than 2GB you also get $10 back every month.

Also there's an app where you can check data of different carriers in your location. Open signal I think it was called.

Mr. Hyde

I'm currently on this plan, is it worth it to switch to the new One plan? I know the old One plan was worse like mandatory Binge-On and no free high speed tethering, but looks like they finally got rid of those and the price including taxes/fees is mighty tempting.
hdTn3qi.png

I have the 100 a month plan from a year or so ago. This new one will save me $11 or so a month in fees which makes it a no brainer, I think.

Mr. Hyde

I guess the only negative of me switching to this plan is I was about to buy a google pixel/use the promo code and it's only eligible on T-mobile One rate plans which this is...

Maybe it's a bug? Hmm.

gutshot

So when they say all taxes and fees included, does that mean each devices' taxes and fees as well? Or is that considered a part of the equipment costs that aren't factored in?

Ferny

So when they say all taxes and fees included, does that mean each devices' taxes and fees as well? Or is that considered a part of the equipment costs that aren't factored in?

Those are different and you still will get charged those.

sithtoast

Neo Member
I'm really thinkin about switching my two lines from VZW over.

Right now, I'm paying ~200/mo for my phone, wife's phone and ipad.

Both phones have insurance and are on installment plans (wife's phone is 4/mo with the 650 credit). We share 16GB+4GB of data.

With T-Mo, I'd apparently be able to get everything minus iPad (probably selling it) for 156/mo. Device payments and the whole nine. It'd be super awesome to make that number 136/mo but I need to know someone that works at T-Mo in order to get that sweet discount.

avaya

Softbank's softened on control of Sprint. Deutsche Tel will now finance T-Mobile US buying Sprint.

I think there's probably at max another 12 months of Uncarrier before the market consolidates. I can see Unlimited being removed again because Verizon and ATT have such huge re-pricing risk in the base and T-Mobile's only move going forward is to cut down on the price.

The churn in the US market is so scarily low, it's all due to the family plans. How the hell the carriers convinced you guys into such transparent lock-down is insane.

johnny956

Rather than keep bothering anu about details, I hit a store up during lunch and I think the deal is even better.

Paying now:

3 lines, 15GB shared data (w/ rollover): 170
-24% discount : ~135

vs

4 lines, Unlimited everything: 160
-$5 autopay per line: 140 MAYBE NOT
-potential 20% discount: 112 PROBABLY 128

I could even do five lines for 124. PLUS 3x$150 gift cards for the ported numbers. PLUS no contracts, so if coverage doesn't work out it isn't a big deal.

I'm really not seeing a downside here aside from out-of-area coverage, and that's something we'd only run into a few times a year. As soon as I can get the instructions for the discount, I'm gone. I would have done it right at the store but I wasn't sure about screwing up the potential discount.

Excuse me while I go pay off the last $150 of the AT&T Next phone.

Wait, I think I was told wrong on that extra $5 off per line. Well, it's still worth trying.

Your bill would $160 for 4 lines on the new plan. Auto pay has that taken into account already and no discounts on the new plan at all.

Edit: oh your talking about the 20% discount they're giving out

Eusis

Welp, this helped convince me to go to T-Mobile, but the best surprise is that I was worried about my mom's line being on an Xperia Z3v being hobbled (though it may be worth it just to save $50 with the caveat of buying a new phone when their rebate cards come in) and so far it's been going at full speed anyway. But even if there are issues $300 would help a ton to get something nice.

Yeah, I'm chomping at the bit. Hopefully the device system for AT&T resets at midnight, and Anu is able to provide deets so I can port over tomorrow or Sunday. I want some free shit on Tuesday. ;)

Syrus

Banned
I had old 80 dollar plan and 15 bucks for 6gb data. 109 a month.

Switchdd to the tmobile one for 100 and activated kickback. My wife doesnt use data much and we may get 10 credit a month from her kickback!

Killer deal

Grifter

FYI - converted to this plan and turns out they don't apply existing employee discounts to this, but I still ended up saving more.

I had old 80 dollar plan and 15 bucks for 6gb data. 109 a month.

Switchdd to the tmobile one for 100 and activated kickback. My wife doesnt use data much and we may get 10 credit a month from her kickback!

Killer deal

Nice, forgot about kickback.

dLMN8R

I activated it today. They mentioned I wont be on that plan until my next billing cycle starts on March 15th - but does anyone here know whether the plan (including unlimited data, tethering, etc.) begins immediately? Or will that too begin on March 15th?

It's the exact reverse of what was previously attempted. Softbank is attempting to throw in the towel by selling Sprint to T-Mobile. This is ironic because Deutsche Telekom was previously trying to throw in the towel by selling T-Mobile to Sprint.

The previous FCC Chairman (Tom Wheeler) was pretty hellbent about keeping 4 major US carriers and nixed the previous deal, which is what caused T-Mobile to go all-in and light a fire under the asses of Verizon in the first place.

The current FCC Chairman (Ajit Pai) would probably want there to be 1 major carrier which charges everyone $500 a month because fuck you and give me money, that's why.

We're probably fucked under the current FCC. I would advise everyone looking to change carriers to do so ASAP before the new FCC fucks us all.

Rembrandt

Banned
been paying $100 + tax/fees for my phone for two lines on t-mobile for a year now. glad it's expanded out.

no issues with services. i've only had a throttle message upon reaching either 20 or 30GBs a month (firefox for android was a random data hog). i don't even touch wifi anymore.

legere lowkey the fucking goat in this mobile industry.

Anustart

AT&T's got 24 more hours to unlock this phone before I go third-party. I'm ready to roll with magenta.

Aww yeah. Seriously a great company, not only as a provider but an employer. Absolutely love tmo.

I believe I have 7 codes left if anyone is wanting to switch to t-mobile from att, sprint or verizon. Gives 20% off for life across however many lines you want.

We employees get nothing out of it other than the satisfaction of saving others money.

Finally got the unlock request.

Just going to confirm we will still have access to our AT&T discount if something goes astray. Then, it's time.

Lifeline

About to switch today, just wanted to give people a breakdown of how much the cost is with all the current discounts:

What i paid at ATT for 3 lines and 10GB of data: $158.48

T-Mobile Switch:

What I Paid:
$140/month for unlimited data+20% off for life hook up discount = $112/month
$.99 activation fee/sim card fee/line = $3+tax one time fee

What i got:
$150/line you port over paid in mastercard giftcards = $450
3 Papa Johns pizza next tuesday

Now's the best time to switch, especially if you're interested in the S7 deal too.

God, I love T-Mobile. The unlimited 2G overseas is so good. Sure, I can't do anything fancy, but I can check my emails, get maps up, and generally just have peace of mind.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Does anyone know if with the Pixel promotion, if you bring 2 pixels onto the unlimited plan, do you get 2 credits, or is it just for the first Pixel?

Saganator

I just switched to Verizon from Tmo. Not that impressed w/ Verizon, been planning to switch back but was waiting for my phones to be paid off. I don't think I could manage this switch without paying an arm and a leg for it due to the 2 Pixel phones I'm paying on.

About to switch today, just wanted to give people a breakdown of how much the cost is with all the current discounts:

What i paid at ATT for 3 lines and 10GB of data: $158.48

T-Mobile Switch:

What I Paid:
$140/month for unlimited data+20% off for life hook up discount = $112/month
$.99 activation fee/sim card fee/line = $3+tax one time fee

What i got:
$150/line you port over paid in mastercard giftcards = $450
3 Papa Johns pizza next tuesday

Now's the best time to switch, especially if you're interested in the S7 deal too.

Did you have to do the switch over the phone to get the $1 SIMs? Twitter and store is telling me $20, or no deal.

I'm similar, I'm on a bit older 15GB Mobile Share plan. $135 after taxes and fees, three lines. Going to port those three in for the giftcard deal, but I also have a T-Mo prepaid account I might convert over later. $10 every three months can't be beat though. It would be triple that even with Rollback postpaid.

I will say I'm concerned about my wife's iPhone 6 not having Band 12. I just got myself a 7+, I'd rather not have to shell out for a 6s or newer at the same time.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I am actually a T-Mobile customer and have been for over four years but I think I am going to switch to Verizon. I have an iPhone 6 Plus that I should have traded in as a promotion for the iPhone 7 when it came out, now T-Mobile offers me shit for it ($134), whereas I think I may be able to transfer to Verizon and trade in my phone for an iPhone 7, and from there keep up with the free upgrades whenever I can.

What do y'all think?

Lifeline

Did you have to do the switch over the phone to get the $1 SIMs? Twitter and store is telling me $20, or no deal.

I'm similar, I'm on a bit older 15GB Mobile Share plan. $135 after taxes and fees, three lines. Going to port those three in for the giftcard deal, but I also have a T-Mo prepaid account I might convert over later. $10 every three months can't be beat though. It would be triple that even with Rollback postpaid.

I will say I'm concerned about my wife's iPhone 6 not having Band 12. I just got myself a 7+, I'd rather not have to shell out for a 6s or newer at the same time.

Just call them, i got it from the phone sales people. But the promotion might have ended yesterday,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom