• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Legere announces new T-Mobile One improvements to counter Verizon "Unlimited"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pagusas

Elden Member
If T-Mobile would just find a way to get a signal inside of our corporate buildings like ATT and Verizon do then I'd switch instantly. Why is this so hard for them :(. Do they run lower powered towers or have a higher frequency signal then other carriers?

JCizzle

If T-Mobile would just find a way to get a signal inside of our corporate buildings like ATT and Verizon do then I'd switch instantly. Why is this so hard for them :(

I think it has something to do with VZW and ATT having a monopoly on the spectrums that work best in buildings? I think TM bought one that was supposed to help within the last couple of years.

Miyahon

If T-Mobile would just find a way to get a signal inside of our corporate buildings like ATT and Verizon do then I'd switch instantly. Why is this so hard for them :(. Do they run lower powered towers or have a higher frequency signal then other carriers?

Yes this is a problem I face daily. It works great outside but once you go inside a building you will get no service or a few bars of LTE which still doesn't work.

Not helpful if you want to look up something while shopping unless the store offers wifi inside to use.

Mokoi

Banned
One day T Mobile will have good enough coverage to justify switching to them. It will be glorious to ditch AT&T.
I did it anyways. I get service in the city, so that fine with me. Home I'm off the grid.

Thought I had changed my plan to this, but it appears not. Was on 2GB of data and that aint going to cut it for me. Like that you get 5 off for autopay. Seems like companies are really pushing that shit. I know att forces you for new accounts for uverse.

prag16

Banned
Not bad. However I'm currently grandfathered on a 2 line, $90 plan with T-Mobile with unlimited talk/text and 6GB/mo per line plus data stash. Don't really have reason to pay $10/mo more to upgrade.

Lifeline

Not bad. However I'm currently grandfathered on a 2 line, $90 plan with T-Mobile with unlimited talk/text and 6GB/mo per line plus data stash. Don't really have reason to pay $10/mo more to upgrade.

Is that $90 with tax included. Even if it is, id switch over since you get unlimited data/$10 kickbacks/10GB LTE Hotspot for only $10 more.

It's only been a bit over a day, but I'm happy this far. Not that the dots/bars on the phone is a legitimate test, but my speeds are better too, and no connectivity issues. Got good speed even in the elevator inside IKEA today.

24/27 right now in my house, which is a good double of what AT&T did.

Eusis

Does seem like I'm more likely to have a spotty connection, but I'm also more willing to push it than I was with Verizon anyway. Maybe it'd be a fairer test if I DID go with Verizon for a few months on unlimited then leaped to T-Mobile, but frankly I'll take some spots being bad (and it wasn't like Verizon was perfect anyway, some stores WERE an issue to use their network in) if it means I can stream video without a worry in the world and especially that I can save money or at least get more for the same amount.

I see that they have a promotion where you can get a $150 gift card per line when you switch from Verizon, up to 4 lines. Does anyone know if all these different promos will stack?

4 Phones
4 x $150 Switching Gift Card
4 x 11% Gift Card when Buying a Phone on Installment Plan
4 x Gift Card for the remaining balance of my Verizon Installment Plan

If all three of those do stack, then I'm probably going to go make the switch tomorrow.

I bought a phone that supports Band 12 and my service has increased tremendously. I now get service at my desk and more importantly my work bathroom.

I see that they have a promotion where you can get a $150 gift card per line when you switch from Verizon, up to 4 lines. Does anyone know if all these different promos will stack?

4 Phones
4 x $150 Switching Gift Card
4 x 11% Gift Card when Buying a Phone on Installment Plan
4 x Gift Card for the remaining balance of my Verizon Installment Plan

If all three of those do stack, then I'm probably going to go make the switch tomorrow.

I don't think the $150/line and the payoff cards stack.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I pay $35 total (No taxes) to Cricket every month for a 3GB plan. I have no idea who would want an unlimited plan. Dont you guys have internet at home? Are people really out partying everyday? and if they are why are they watching netflix at parties?

$70 is fucking insane for a cell phone line. Oh and i get great AT&T coverage. Tmobile didnt work in some auditoriums, buildings and elevators. forget about interstate highways.

Eusis

I pay $35 total (No taxes) to Cricket every month for a 3GB plan. I have no idea who would want an unlimited plan. Dont you guys have internet at home? Are people really out partying everyday? and if they are why are they watching netflix at parties?
Some of us are in an awkward spot where we're not so poor we can't get a half decent phone (or happened to already have one), yet have an issue getting solid housing or at least a place with enough freedom for our own internet without issues.

Then some people just have to watch every stupid Youtube video while out and about.

$70 is fucking insane for a cell phone line. Oh and i get great AT&T coverage. Tmobile didnt work in some auditoriums, buildings and elevators. forget about interstate highways.

I'm only paying $34 a line.

ESBL

T-mobile bought Band 12 which does what you asked. They've been rolling it out, its great for coverage but sucks for bandwidth. Overall I haven't noticed a difference between AT&T and T-mobile

Lifeline

Really loving all the carrier competition. T-Mobile just announced that all new and existing customers get a extra free line starting 3/1.

You can now get 3 unlimited lines for $100, which would be $80 after the 20% discount. If the third line uses less than 2gb of data you also get $10 back.

Yeah, i just switched and this is the biggest problem so far.

Kickback doesn't apply to free lines, apparently.

FUCK. I should have listened to my gut and not ported that third line in to get another gift card. Could have saved me $32 a month.

Grifter

Aww yeah. Seriously a great company, not only as a provider but an employer. Absolutely love tmo.

I believe I have 7 codes left if anyone is wanting to switch to t-mobile from att, sprint or verizon. Gives 20% off for life across however many lines you want.

We employees get nothing out of it other than the satisfaction of saving others money.

Is the 20% discount only for switching? I changed plans and they said the former employer discounts no longer apply.

Crazyorloco

I use my phone a lot when I'm outside. Data consumed from watching videos, social media, downloading apps doing coursework, using hotspot etc...

I would use 3GB in a week. If it suits you that's great. T-Mobile's plan is perfect for me. And has helped me in the past when I didn't have home internet. I relied on it to finish course work and work from my job thanks to the hotspot.

Not getting reception in buildings is as much a GSM thing as it is a T-Mobile thing. I get no reception at work on AT&T, and it's due to the frequencies used. T-Mo might be worse, but they aren't the underlying reason. My coworkers with CDMA/former CDMA carriers get much better penetration.

This might be old info though. I haven't been huge into mobile technology in about a decade.

Ramsiege

Really loving all the carrier competition. T-Mobile just announced that all new and existing customers get a extra free line starting 3/1.

You can now get 3 unlimited lines for $100, which would be $80 after the 20% discount. If the third line uses less than 2gb of data you also get $10 back.

What is this 20% discount you speak of?

Lifeline

Kickback doesn't apply to free lines, apparently.

FUCK. I should have listened to my gut and not ported that third line in to get another gift card. Could have saved me $32 a month.

Damn, that sucks. If I can switch phone numbers around, maybe I can use the free line and throw the paid line in a drawer.

What is this 20% discount you speak of?

All Employees get 5 codes they can give out to anyone. So employees are using the codes as incentive to switch. There's also people giving them away on social media.

I think it's only available for those switching to T-Mobile for the first time. Otherwise I'd like to know how to get in on that :D

If you switched after 2/1/17 you should be eligible. All customers are eligible for the free line though.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Yeah, when I lived in NYC Tmobile had the worst coverage in our building.

That said, that international data though.

This is actually interesting to me because one thing i was shocked to find when I switched to T-Mobile was that i found myself with a better signal inside buildings when I switched.

Obviously I realize it won't be the same experience for everyone, but I was on Verizon for years and I always lost signal inside my gym and even my workplace. On T-Mobile, i was instantly greeted with full LTE in both places. I freaking love it!

Lifeline

Also just a warning. The $150 MasterCard gift per line you port in ends tommorow on 2/28.

Best way to do it is switch all your lines today or tommorow except one of them. Then switch the last one after 3/1. You'll lose out on the $150 for that line, but it'll be free forever.

toohectic

Wow, three lines for $100 sounds awesome. Is this a limited time promotion similar to the Sprint deal where the bill returns to normal pricing after a specified date? Or perhaps after you upgrade your phone? Hopefully not. One of the phones would use less than 2GB, so it would effectively be $90 for us. If there are no gotchas, I think I'm finally ready to give up my grandfathered AT&T plans, which is going up another 5 bucks each this month. This T-Mobile plan would almost cut the bill in half.

kirblar

Also just a warning. The $150 MasterCard gift per line you port in ends tommorow on 2/28.

Best way to do it is switch all your lines today or tommorow except one of them. Then switch the last one after 3/1. You'll lose out on the $150 for that line, but it'll be free forever.
W/ the Mastercard G-Card, is MetroPCS excluded from it?

Lifeline

Wow, three lines for $100 sounds awesome. Is this a limited time promotion similar to the Sprint deal where the bill returns to normal pricing after a specified date? Or perhaps after you upgrade your phone? Hopefully not. One of the phones would use less than 2GB, so it would effectively be $90 for us. If there are no gotchas, I think I'm finally ready to give up my grandfathered AT&T plans, which is going up another 5 bucks each this month. This T-Mobile plan would almost cut the bill in half.

Forever unless you cancel a line. Make sure the free line is with someone who definitely uses more than 2GB. Free lines are not eligible for the kickback.

Definitely switching now if I can get ahold of a 20% code. Such a crazy good deal.

Look around Twitter and Facebook. It's being spread with #tmobilehookup.

W/ the Mastercard G-Card, is MetroPCS excluded from it?

Most likely excluded, but you should call just to be sure.

Boogie9IGN

Definitely switching now if I can get ahold of a 20% code. Such a crazy good deal.

I just switched over today from ATT. Got the $100 for two lines/unlimited plan. I kinda played dumb and told the guy I had heard of some hookup thing where you can get 20% off and he just immediately said oh sure, I can do that for you.

Final tally was $40 for the two SIMs, 2 lines with unlimited everything for $80 a month and I'm getting two $150 debit cards for switching from ATT. The only thing I wasn't able to get was the free S7 Edge cause I had an LG G4 and my mother had a Note 3.

kirblar

Forever unless you cancel a line. Make sure the free line is with someone who definitely uses more than 2GB. Free lines are not eligible for the kickback. .
W/ the free line promo, would this cause any issues if you needed to add an additional line in the future (in terms of invalidating the promo) or would it likely be fine?

iavi

This is beautiful.

I have 3 lines with T-Mobile on a 6gb plan for about 35 each. Switching to T-Mobile One is a no brainer now

Lifeline

I just switched over today from ATT. Got the $100 for two lines/unlimited plan. I kinda played dumb and told the guy I had heard of some hookup thing where you can get 20% off and he just immediately said oh sure, I can do that for you.

Final tally was $40 for the two SIMs, 2 lines with unlimited everything for $80 a month and I'm getting two $150 debit cards for switching from ATT. The only thing I wasn't able to get was the free S7 Edge cause I had an LG G4 and my mother had a Note 3.

You can call customer service and try to get the sim card/activation fee waived. Since phone sales is doing a promotion for $.99/sim card. Some people had success with this, but it depends on the rep you talk to. Remember to go back to the store after 3/1 for your free line.

W/ the free line promo, would this cause any issues if you needed to add an additional line in the future (in terms of invalidating the promo) or would it likely be fine?

As long as you don't cancel a line, the promotion will be fine.

Swig_

Having a single line blows. Heavy discounts if you add even one line. My girlfriend is on a different plan and I don't know of anyone else I would want to share plans with. :(

So are all these wireless companies shitting their pants over Google, Tesla, and Vivint developing unlimited multi-gigabit wireless internet?

just a general question. did anybody on JUMP! plans finish off their payments after the initial 24 month or w/e period ended? I've never dealt with this before and they're telling me to get on an installment plan to avoid a big bill.

Boogie9IGN

You can call customer service and try to get the sim card/activation fee waived. Since phone sales is doing a promotion for $.99/sim card. Some people had success with this, but it depends on the rep you talk to. Remember to go back to the store after 3/1 for your free line.

ooooooooooo will try! For that third line, do you know if it has to be a new number or would I be able to say bring my father over from ATT instead

toohectic

Make sure the free line is with someone who definitely uses more than 2GB. Free lines are not eligible for the kickback.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll make sure to make our dumb-phone one of the standard 2 lines, and make my iPhone line the free one. Thanks!

Eusis

So are all these wireless companies shitting their pants over Google, Tesla, and Vivint developing unlimited multi-gigabit wireless internet?
I dunno, AT&T and Verizon may've been worrying about that and perhaps Sprint, but T-Mobile's been full on rabid as of the last few years.

So a question about the 3rd line free promo coming up. Anyone know if we can bring our own phone or do we have to get a new one through TMo to get the free line?

I am also looking for a hookup if anyone has one. My girlfriend and I just switched from Verizon/Sprint. We had an awesome experience in store but we're both on slightly limited budgets and any bit helps. Thanks!

kirblar

just a general question. did anybody on JUMP! plans finish off their payments after the initial 24 month or w/e period ended? I've never dealt with this before and they're telling me to get on an installment plan to avoid a big bill.
The final 1/4 of the JUMP price is backloaded, if you're not ready for it you'll get a big surprise bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom