• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JonTron Releases a Statement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jharp

I feel like I've read a lot of people saying he's losing subscribers, and out of pure interest, I've been watching his subscriber count in the last week and a half or so. It actually appears to have gone up by a few thousand. Cool, mass internet outrage changes nothing. That's at least somewhat comforting.

joe2187

Banned
Thought the WSJ thing was that screamy youtube guy not Jontron?

Boogies defense is for Pewdiepie, Jontron, Colin Moriarty, Philip Defranco. So he's going after multiple media sources at once to defend his Youtube acquaintances. The trend for these "Controversial" YT celebs getting called out for their "opinions" is all because of an internet media "Hate Mob" that masturbates itself to the power to ruin their livelihoods.

wandering

Banned
I don't think he said that because he agrees with what Jon said, I think he said it because he thinks people should stand for what they believe in instead of retracting statements to appease outrage culture.

Blabbing and faffing about not being prepared for a debate is standing for what he believes in?

Being disgusted at outright white nationalism is outrage culture?

HariKari

I don't think he said that because he agrees with what Jon said, I think he said it because he thinks people should stand for what they believe in instead of retracting statements to appease outrage culture.

Outrage culture? The guy was openly racist. Outrage is entirely appropriate. What he believes is absolutely disgusting.

SomTervo

'Outrage culture' is currently in the spotlight. I put this fact together with his statement and simply offered my opinion on what I think he meant.

"outrage culture" is a deflective term for "not accepting intolerance and toxic behaviours/beliefs". If you have any analytical integrity you'd never give the phrase a mention.

Archtreyz

Boogies defense is for Pewdiepie, Jontron, Colin Moriarty, Philip Defranco. So he's going after multiple media sources at once to defend his Youtube acquaintances. The trend for these "Controversial" YT celebs getting called out for their "opinions" is all because of an internet media "Hate Mob" that masturbates itself to the power to ruin their livelihoods.
It's weird who he grouped together in that video. I feel like JonTron and PewDiePie were leagues above what Colin or Philip Defranco did. I could see people defending the latter, but the former are just plain in the wrong.

SomTervo

I feel like I've read a lot of people saying he's losing subscribers, and out of pure interest, I've been watching his subscriber count in the last week and a half or so. It actually appears to have gone up by a few thousand. Cool, mass internet outrage changes nothing. That's at least somewhat comforting.

If this is true, im upset

Nepenthe

It's freaking me out trying to imagine the Yokai Watch ghost saying all this super informative stuff lol.

Why, sir, you do underestimate me. Whisper is the best Yokai butler and is VERY knowledgeable about all things!
So long as he has his Yokai Pad.

Venfayth

I try to get through these incidents as impartially as possible, but there's really nothing redeeming here for JonTron. That debate with Destiny cut a really clear picture.

Xenoblade

"outrage culture" is a deflective term for "not accepting intolerance and toxic behaviours/beliefs". If you have any analytical integrity you'd never give the phrase a mention.

I mentioned it because it was what I thought the original poster was referring to. I was right. It has nothing to do with analytical integrity.

Some Youtube personalities want it all: No executive oversight plus the freedom to air their heinous views to a mass audience, which would probably get them fired if they were in a corporate environment.

At least there is a very real method to keep checks and balances on them with their subscriber counts.

SomTervo

I mentioned it because it was what I thought the original poster was referring to. I was right. It has nothing to do with analytical integrity.

Fair enough. Personally I'd never have tried to justify or rationalise the statements of someone who thinks JonTron needn't apologise and uses terms like "special snowflake", but that's just me.

Champion

Fuck JonTron. And if you still support him after this then you're a racist also, so its fuck you too. I cant believe there are some who are trying to defend or rationalize this nonsense.

I try to get through these incidents as impartially as possible, but there's really nothing redeeming here for JonTron. That debate with Destiny cut a really clear picture.

Pretty much. I mean, the dude admitted he thinks all black people are crooks, whites need to preserve their gene pool from dilution, Mexicans are both lazy moochers and cunning strategists who want to achieve Aztlan, Zaire is still the name of Congo-Kinshasa, etc.

There ain't a lot of room for interpretation.

As someone thats unsubbed to jon after this, what do you mean by support? im not going to claim the millions of people who still watch his videos are all racists because thats a load of nonsense.

I think the poster means people who know what he said, yet are completely fine with it.

Fuck JonTron. And if you still support him after this then you're a racist also, so its fuck you too. I cant believe there are some who are trying to defend or rationalize this nonsense.

As someone thats unsubbed to jon after this, what do you mean by support? im not going to claim the millions of people who still watch his videos are all racists because thats a load of nonsense.

joe2187

Banned

He's gaining followers from a new Audience, Like Nationalists, White Supremecists and whatnot who see him as "One of the good ones" to represent them in a niche community and spread their message.

Like the rep of Daily Stormer debating Destiny on behalf of Jontrons defense, because he's never heard or cared about Jontron....until he supported white supremecist beliefs.

YouTube really needs to start stepping up and policing their service better. Let him keep his channel, but by all means disable his ability to make money on your service at least.

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
"White" was basically a concept made up by the bourgeois centuries ago to prevent indentured and poor whites and enslaved blacks from realizing they were on the same side economically and socially and revolting together. It characterized the ruling class as a sort of standard that lower-class whites could live up to- gave them a taste of power- and thus racial divisions occurred.

Once you understand this, every racial issue in America logically follows: You understand why different European groups like the Irish and Italians were forced to leave behind the depths of their cultures for the security of being considered "white." You understand why Asians even tried at all to legally argue in court that they too should be considered "white." As a result of this attempt at assimilating all of these different cultures and peoples down into this one thing called "whiteness" or "white culture," you understand why even most white people can't actually tell you what "white culture" is, a peculiar problem not faced by ethnic minorities like black people, Latino groups, Asians, and natives.

You understand why white people will, on average, see other poor whites (like those unfortunate coal miners) as undeserving victims of an unfair system while poor blacks are just lazy welfare queens and poor Latinos are all illegals who are undermining proper work standards and diluting the gene pool. You understand why the nearly free land and money grants given to white people by the government throughout this country's history are not considered welfare, while welfare initiatives that work to include minorities too are indicative of "handouts" and "entitlements" that they don't deserve. You understand why white people love the ACA but hate Obamacare. You understand why white people overwhelmingly voted for Trump while most other ethnic minorities- even those who face the exact same kind of economic dead ends that poor white people do- voted the other way regardless.

And finally, you understand why people who look white regardless of them actually being of Iranian descent like JonTron will basically throw themselves on the spear and turn their backs on who they really are to defend whiteness. Because ultimately, "white" means power, and the long and short of it is people don't want to give up their power.

If you have a mixtape let me know cuz this post is fire!

FiggyCal

Banned
He's gaining followers from a new Audience, Like Nationalists, White Supremecists and whatnot who see him as "One of the good ones" to represent them in a niche community and spread their message.

Like the rep of Daily Stormer debating Destiny on behalf of Jontrons defense, because he's never heard or cared about Jontron....until he supported white supremecist beliefs.

I agree with you, but I don't think the white nationalist, politically reactionary audience on youtube is so much niche. Its large enough that people pander to them.

I realize this is probably a result of ignorance and/or inexperience, but the whole racism in culture debate feels super shallow from my end.

Genuine calculated racism seems to rarely make an appearance, but only pointed out due to Internet access. It almost feels like a self induced issue, where most people aren't racist, but racial misunderstanding and general disrespect for your fellow neighbor seems to be categorized as racism if the parties involved are of a different race.

My father works for a big name company and they frequently celebrate only people of color and has strange meetings where they separate races into groups when seating them to try to point out "disguised social racism." It feels like a cyclical problem by the nature of calling each other equal, but drawing attention to race in the first place. For many, it raises eyebrows and feels forced. In media and in the work place, diversity seems naturally present because we are all Americans, but suddenly we have people in droves claiming the opposite is true.

I say this from a personal perspective of not witnessing much genuine racism, but more of seeing the opposite. I can't be personally aware of all issues present in the culture, but Jon's response seemed at least fair in the message he was trying to say. I didn't follow much of his statements in the past weeks, so there's that too.

massoluk

Banned
I'm getting tired of racists using the same "Sorry that my messages was misconstrued."

For a billion times, no, your racist message was clear as fuck, it's not the messaging that is the problem.

joe2187

Banned
I agree with you, but I don't think the white nationalist, politically reactionary audience on youtube is so much niche. Its large enough that people pander to them.

The Niche community I was referring to was the LP and Video Game commentary one.

YouTube really needs to start stepping up and policing their service better. Let him keep his channel, but by all means disable his ability to make money on your service at least.

All they care about is money.

On top of that, you'd get the people whining about "liburuls taking away people's ability to make money" or whatever goofy shit they whine about.

Jon won. He put out a non-apology apology, the shit he says remains in the ether, he gains subs and a whole new alt-reich following, continues to make money, and nothing actually changes. I'd at least take a small measure of satisfaction from him losing sponsors, but it doesn't even seem like that happened.

That's the world we live in. His bigotry is rewarded, and the people he marginalizes will continue to lose.

I can't even be mad about it anymore. I'll tell my people to stop watching his bullshit, and keep it moving. That's all us decent people can do. Keep aware, spread the word, and move on.

Same shit different day.

Xenoblade

Fair enough. Personally I'd never have tried to justify or rationalise the statements of someone who thinks JonTron needn't apologise and uses terms like "special snowflake", but that's just me.

Not statements, only his first one, and it was necessary. People were taking it the complete wrong way, assuming that he supported what Jon was saying. He wasn't. Nonetheless he got banned anyway. Silly.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
"White" was basically a concept made up by the bourgeois centuries ago to prevent indentured and poor whites and enslaved blacks from realizing they were on the same side economically and socially and revolting together. It characterized the ruling class as a sort of standard that lower-class whites could live up to- gave them a taste of power- and thus racial divisions occurred.

Once you understand this, every racial issue in America logically follows: You understand why different European groups like the Irish and Italians were forced to leave behind the depths of their cultures for the security of being considered "white." You understand why Asians even tried at all to legally argue in court that they too should be considered "white." As a result of this attempt at assimilating all of these different cultures and peoples down into this one thing called "whiteness" or "white culture," you understand why even most white people can't actually tell you what "white culture" is, a peculiar problem not faced by ethnic minorities like black people, Latino groups, Asians, and natives.

You understand why white people will, on average, see other poor whites (like those unfortunate coal miners) as undeserving victims of an unfair system while poor blacks are just lazy welfare queens and poor Latinos are all illegals who are undermining proper work standards and diluting the gene pool. You understand why the nearly free land and money grants given to white people by the government throughout this country's history are not considered welfare, while welfare initiatives that work to include minorities too are indicative of "handouts" and "entitlements" that they don't deserve. You understand why white people love the ACA but hate Obamacare. You understand why white people overwhelmingly voted for Trump while most other ethnic minorities- even those who face the exact same kind of economic dead ends that poor white people do- voted the other way regardless.

And finally, you understand why people who look white regardless of them actually being of Iranian descent like JonTron will basically throw themselves on the spear and turn their backs on who they really are to defend whiteness. Because ultimately, "white" means power, and the long and short of it is people don't want to give up their power.

I wish jontron could see this

grim-tales

I can't speak for this other guy. But him apologizing would not erase the fact that he has pretty bad ideas.

Of course. But imo at least he should have said "I said some horrible things, and I was wrong. I am sorry", but he didnt even really say that.

Chumley

Banned

The gaming community at large is probably at least 70 percent comprised of them or people sympathetic to them. Step into any competitive online shooter or MMO and look at the chat if politics is mentioned. Best case scenario you get "I don't talk about politics" which is of course a statement in itself.

joe2187

Banned
I realize this is probably a result of ignorance and/or inexperience, but the whole racism in culture debate feels super shallow from my end.

Genuine calculated racism seems to rarely make an appearance, but only pointed out due to Internet access. It almost feels like a self induced issue, where most people aren't racist, but racial misunderstanding and general disrespect for your fellow neighbor seems to be categorized as racism if the parties involved are of a different race.

My father works for a big name company and they frequently celebrate only people of color and has strange meetings where they separate races into groups when seating them to try to point out "disguised social racism." It feels like a cyclical problem by the nature of calling each other equal, but drawing attention to race in the first place. For many, it raises eyebrows and feels forced. In media and in the work place, diversity seems naturally present because we are all Americans, but suddenly we have people in droves claiming the opposite is true.

I say this from a personal perspective of not witnessing much genuine racism, but more of seeing the opposite. I can't be personally aware of all issues present in the culture, but Jon's response seemed at least fair in the message he was trying to say. I didn't follow much of his statements in the past weeks, so there's that too.

Im having a tough time trying to understand this post.

Are you trying to say "Racism" needs to be categorized by it's extremes?

And that since you haven't witnessed it before means that it's not genuine?

Most people have opinions on political issues while simultaneously being either somewhat ignorant on the subject or very ignorant, and I'm including myself here. I also find that a lot of times a person might not have considered certain aspects of their opinion or just didn't understand the issue enough to be aware of some negative elements of a position they take - again, I admit this sometimes describes me.

So with that being said, it has to be pretty difficult to voice opinions in a society that is becoming far less forgiving and extremely critical of any social or political statement, and it must be even more distressing that labels get attached to a person and subsequently parroted around the internet to the point where the assumption is that the label is accurate.

I only have a cursory idea of what JonTron said, so this isn't meant as a defense of what he said or his response to the backlash. I just felt like saying the discourse in this country has become so toxic, especially after Donald Trump somehow became president, and that I wish people were more willing to accept that a person may state an opinion that you find troublesome or reprehensible because of your beliefs or understanding of the issue without the need to categorize them as an objectively bad person. It's possible that after making a statement and seeing the backlash, they may realize why their stance was wrong. It's possible they aren't a horrible person but have some views that don't align with your morality.

Sometimes it seems like a liberal-minded witch hunt and I don't think it helps society grow but rather just further polarizes the country. And I say this as somebody who considers himself pretty progressive; but part of being a progressive, fundamentally, should be an openness to ideas and the desire to try to understand different points of views. Even if somebody is seemingly wrong in what they believe in some areas I find it a better strategy to be constructive rather than vitriolic, at least when the person in question doesn't seem like a villainous caricature but just a complex human being who is like the most of us pretty ignorant or misguided about a lot of things in life.

Kudos to him for not backing down even if his views are alienating or wrong. It would be even worse if he just pretended he didn't mean it and give an insincere apology.

when did the left become so reactionary, lmao.

eXrGZQA.jpg

Archtreyz

The gaming community at large is probably at least 70 percent comprised of them or people sympathetic to them. Step into any competitive online shooter or MMO and look at the chat if politics is mentioned. Best case scenario you get "I don't talk about politics" which is of course a statement in itself.
I think a large portion of that though are young gamers who mostly speak from ignorance, say awful things because they believe they are funny, or just reflect the opinions of parents or authority figures. I think most older gamers aren't as racist or generally hateful.

Fantastic Post. Spot on about using it as a divide.

The Irish were considered to be pretty much equivalent to the Slaves when they first started immigrating to America. Then when Black Men started to gain degrees of freedom suddenly the Irish were an acceptable "white" who was paid slightly better than a black man could get just to keep them both down while making the Irish feel like they were suddenly welcomed into the brotherhood of White power.

I have always wondered why the Irish went from being hated to just another group of white people.

I only have a cursory idea of what JonTron said, so this isn't meant as a defense of what he said or his response to the backlash. I just felt like saying the discourse in this country has become so toxic

If you actually familiarized yourself with what he said you'd understand the how and why of that particular toxicity and how your argument, as well meaning and well-intentioned as it might be, is only promoting that toxicity further.

The discourse is different than it used to be because people who otherwise did not have as much of a voice or presence in our culture suddenly are able to speak loudly and clearly when they feel they're being marginalized.

this is considered "toxic" by some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom