• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JonTron Releases a Statement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I realize this is probably a result of ignorance and/or inexperience, but the whole racism in culture debate feels super shallow from my end.

Genuine calculated racism seems to rarely make an appearance, but only pointed out due to Internet access. It almost feels like a self induced issue, where most people aren't racist, but racial misunderstanding and general disrespect for your fellow neighbor seems to be categorized as racism if the parties involved are of a different race.

My father works for a big name company and they frequently celebrate only people of color and has strange meetings where they separate races into groups when seating them to try to point out "disguised social racism." It feels like a cyclical problem by the nature of calling each other equal, but drawing attention to race in the first place. For many, it raises eyebrows and feels forced. In media and in the work place, diversity seems naturally present because we are all Americans, but suddenly we have people in droves claiming the opposite is true.

I say this from a personal perspective of not witnessing much genuine racism, but more of seeing the opposite. I can't be personally aware of all issues present in the culture, but Jon's response seemed at least fair in the message he was trying to say. I didn't follow much of his statements in the past weeks, so there's that too.

Maybe read up on Jon "non whites dilute the gene pool" Tron before jumping in eh?

J@hranimo

Banned
"White" was basically a concept made up by the bourgeois centuries ago to prevent indentured and poor whites and enslaved blacks from realizing they were on the same side economically and socially and revolting together. It characterized the ruling class as a sort of standard that lower-class whites could live up to- gave them a taste of power- and thus racial divisions occurred.

Once you understand this, every racial issue in America logically follows: You understand why different European groups like the Irish and Italians were forced to leave behind the depths of their cultures for the security of being considered "white." You understand why Asians even tried at all to legally argue in court that they too should be considered "white." As a result of this attempt at assimilating all of these different cultures and peoples down into this one thing called "whiteness" or "white culture," you understand why even most white people can't actually tell you what "white culture" is, a peculiar problem not faced by ethnic minorities like black people, Latino groups, Asians, and natives.

You understand why white people will, on average, see other poor whites (like those unfortunate coal miners) as undeserving victims of an unfair system while poor blacks are just lazy welfare queens and poor Latinos are all illegals who are undermining proper work standards and diluting the gene pool. You understand why the nearly free land and money grants given to white people by the government throughout this country's history are not considered welfare, while welfare initiatives that work to include minorities too are indicative of "handouts" and "entitlements" that they don't deserve. You understand why white people love the ACA but hate Obamacare. You understand why white people overwhelmingly voted for Trump while most other ethnic minorities- even those who face the exact same kind of economic dead ends that poor white people do- voted the other way regardless.

And finally, you understand why people who look white regardless of them actually being of Iranian descent like JonTron will basically throw themselves on the spear and turn their backs on who they really are to defend whiteness. Because ultimately, "white" means power, and the long and short of it is people don't want to give up their power.

Yep, this pretty much summarizes the source of social issues we experience today. Way better than I could have explained it....kudos.

On-Topic: Lmao hell outta here Jontron with your terrible statements.

LionPride

Banned
Most people have opinions on political issues while simultaneously being either somewhat ignorant on the subject or very ignorant, and I'm including myself here. I also find that a lot of times a person might not have considered certain aspects of their opinion or just didn't understand the issue enough to be aware of some negative elements of a position they take - again, I admit this sometimes describes me.

So with that being said, it has to be pretty difficult to voice opinions in a society that is becoming far less forgiving and extremely critical of any social or political statement, and it must be even more distressing that labels get attached to a person and subsequently parroted around the internet to the point where the assumption is that the label is accurate.

I only have a cursory idea of what JonTron said, so this isn't meant as a defense of what he said or his response to the backlash. I just felt like saying the discourse in this country has become so toxic, especially after Donald Trump somehow became president, and that I wish people were more willing to accept that a person may state an opinion that you find troublesome or reprehensible because of your beliefs or understanding of the issue without the need to categorize them as an objectively bad person. It's possible that after making a statement and seeing the backlash, they may realize why their stance was wrong. It's possible they aren't a horrible person but have some views that don't align with your morality.

Sometimes it seems like a liberal-minded witch hunt and I don't think it helps society grow but rather just further polarizes the country. And I say this as somebody who considers himself pretty progressive; but part of being a progressive, fundamentally, should be an openness to ideas and the desire to try to understand different points of views. Even if somebody is seemingly wrong in what they believe in some areas I find it a better strategy to be constructive rather than vitriolic, at least when the person in question doesn't seem like a villainous caricature but just a complex human being who is like the most of us pretty ignorant or misguided about a lot of things in life.
For fucks sake do better

When people spout racist, xenophobic, shit from their mouth holes, people tend to feel some type of way.

Fuck racism. Fuck Xenophobia.

There.

FiggyCal

Banned
Kudos to him for not backing down even if his views are alienating or wrong. It would be even worse if he just pretended he didn't mean it and give an insincere apology.

I'm not going to give the man props for this, but I agree that it is better that he did not pretend to be a changed man who was convinced via internet backlash, but went with the "I was misunderstood lol" approach. It's not a good thing though... it's almost as grimy.

Most people have opinions on political issues while simultaneously being either somewhat ignorant on the subject or very ignorant, and I'm including myself here. I also find that a lot of times a person might not have considered certain aspects of their opinion or just didn't understand the issue enough to be aware of some negative elements of a position they take - again, I admit this sometimes describes me.

So with that being said, it has to be pretty difficult to voice opinions in a society that is becoming far less forgiving and extremely critical of any social or political statement, and it must be even more distressing that labels get attached to a person and subsequently parroted around the internet to the point where the assumption is that the label is accurate.

I only have a cursory idea of what JonTron said, so this isn't meant as a defense of what he said or his response to the backlash. I just felt like saying the discourse in this country has become so toxic, especially after Donald Trump somehow became president, and that I wish people were more willing to accept that a person may state an opinion that you find troublesome or reprehensible because of your beliefs or understanding of the issue without the need to categorize them as an objectively bad person. It's possible that after making a statement and seeing the backlash, they may realize why their stance was wrong. It's possible they aren't a horrible person but have some views that don't align with your morality.

Sometimes it seems like a liberal-minded witch hunt and I don't think it helps society grow but rather just further polarizes the country. And I say this as somebody who considers himself pretty progressive; but part of being a progressive, fundamentally, should be an openness to ideas and the desire to try to understand different points of views. Even if somebody is seemingly wrong in what they believe in some areas I find it a better strategy to be constructive rather than vitriolic, at least when the person in question doesn't seem like a villainous caricature but just a complex human being who is like the most of us pretty ignorant or misguided about a lot of things in life.

Maybe don't use Jon "Black people are genetically more criminal" Tron to jump on a soap box about some fabled liberal witch hunt...

Anung

Un Rama
That's all that you need to say in your post. And we can promptly ignore the rest since like you said...you are willfully ignorant of the topic.

Ignorance of the topic seems to be how his fanbase seems to get over this. I've seen so many "I didn't watch the debate but I don't think JonTron meant what he said." It's insanity, like why do these people think anything they have to say has any merit unless they watch the inciting incident or at least guess more clued in than "he said bad things"

FiggyCal

Banned
But like, isn't saying that non-whites don't pollute the gene pool just calling attention to the fact that there are non whites? Maybe you're the one who should be loosing subscribers for this hatefully cyclical "literal white supremacy" stuff. It's so sad to me that in this toxic political environment we can't all just get along without throwing words like "bigot" around every time somebody says the white race needs to stay pure.

"Pollution" isn't a positive word to describe just about anything, let alone skin color.

when did the left become so reactionary, lmao.

Directly hired by Google or not, he's making money on their platform by using their ads and getting money from their subscription service.

There is no wiggling out of it, Jontron is a racist and said a lot of inexcusable things and Google should hold him accountable. I'm not even talking censoring him... But Google sure as hell shouldn't be paying him.

Maybe it's time people organize and complain to Google. Make YouTube a less habitable place for extreme intolerance.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
at least when the person in question doesn't seem like a villainous caricature but just a complex human being who is like the most of us pretty ignorant or misguided about a lot of things in life.

I'm not sure how much more 'villainous caricature' you can get then 'even if they assimilate I'm worried immigrants will dilute the gene pool'. Next time read up on the topic before commenting.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
"White" was basically a concept made up by the bourgeois centuries ago to prevent indentured and poor whites and enslaved blacks from realizing they were on the same side economically and socially and revolting together. It characterized the ruling class as a sort of standard that lower-class whites could live up to- gave them a taste of power- and thus racial divisions occurred.

Once you understand this, every racial issue in America logically follows: You understand why different European groups like the Irish and Italians were forced to leave behind the depths of their cultures for the security of being considered "white." You understand why Asians even tried at all to legally argue in court that they too should be considered "white." As a result of this attempt at assimilating all of these different cultures and peoples down into this one thing called "whiteness" or "white culture," you understand why even most white people can't actually tell you what "white culture" is, a peculiar problem not faced by ethnic minorities like black people, Latino groups, Asians, and natives.

You understand why white people will, on average, see other poor whites (like those unfortunate coal miners) as undeserving victims of an unfair system while poor blacks are just lazy welfare queens and poor Latinos are all illegals who are undermining proper work standards and diluting the gene pool. You understand why the nearly free land and money grants given to white people by the government throughout this country's history are not considered welfare, while welfare initiatives that work to include minorities too are indicative of "handouts" and "entitlements" that they don't deserve. You understand why white people love the ACA but hate Obamacare. You understand why white people overwhelmingly voted for Trump while most other ethnic minorities- even those who face the exact same kind of economic dead ends that poor white people do- voted the other way regardless.

And finally, you understand why people who look white regardless of them actually being of Iranian descent like JonTron will basically throw themselves on the spear and turn their backs on who they really are to defend whiteness. Because ultimately, "white" means power, and the long and short of it is people don't want to give up their power.
Fantastic post.

It's so sad to me that in this toxic political environment we can't all just get along without throwing words like "bigot" around every time somebody says the white race needs to stay pure.

This is literal bigotry... Why wouldn't someone use the word in this context?

You preface this by saying a lot of people, including yourself, are ignorant about a lot of things, follow that up by saying you don't have a full grasp on everything that Jon said, and then point fingers at people by saying this is a liberal witch hunt

SomTervo

I realize this is probably a result of ignorance and/or inexperience, but the whole racism in culture debate feels super shallow from my end.

Genuine calculated racism seems to rarely make an appearance, but only pointed out due to Internet access. It almost feels like a self induced issue, where most people aren't racist, but racial misunderstanding and general disrespect for your fellow neighbor seems to be categorized as racism if the parties involved are of a different race.

My father works for a big name company and they frequently celebrate only people of color and has strange meetings where they separate races into groups when seating them to try to point out "disguised social racism." It feels like a cyclical problem by the nature of calling each other equal, but drawing attention to race in the first place. For many, it raises eyebrows and feels forced. In media and in the work place, diversity seems naturally present because we are all Americans, but suddenly we have people in droves claiming the opposite is true.

I say this from a personal perspective of not witnessing much genuine racism, but more of seeing the opposite. I can't be personally aware of all issues present in the culture, but Jon's response seemed at least fair in the message he was trying to say. I didn't follow much of his statements in the past weeks, so there's that too.

There's a thing called "structural" or "institutional" racism (and sexism). Look it up. Educate yourself. It's not necessarily intentional/planned/active behaviour but it leads to very real problems. Ironically it's the very opposite of "shallow" - it's the most deep running and inherent racism there is. Most people don't even know it exists.

Plus you owe it to yourself to watch Jon's debate with Destiny. It's full blown racist stuff. Nothing he has done is "fair".

indigoboy

Banned

Wow, nice mansplaining dude :)
Also I'm glad you wrote this because it's essentially "why Trump won - The Post". White people have a culture in the US, whether you like it or not. Just because people chose to sacrifice everything they had at the altar of capitalism and profit, it doesn't mean they didn't have anything to sacrifice in the first place.
God is dead and now we have to live with the consequences.

I remember your Christianity thread, I think these opinions are coming very much from a place of ignorance. I'm sure you see a lot of it but fail to recognize it. You can still have "real" racism without constantly shouting the N word... which Jon Tron does anyway. The debate where he went on and on about racial purity is very much genuine racism. He doubles down on it in this video.

The Christianity thread was deeply misconstrued from my end, to the point of personal despair, but I have learned from it in some regards.

I made my post just to say I think there are a lot of over reactions in culture both ways and it seems to stifle progress.

And I guess I don't understand his view in context to the conversation, but I felt his point about hypocrisy in racial stat observations were fair.

And sorry for jumping in the middle here, just personally related today due to conversations I had with my family regarding strange racial segregation in attempts for non segregation (the work example). If this is too off topic ignore me.

There's a thing called "structural" or "institutional" racism (and sexism). Look it up. Educate yourself. It's not necessarily intentional/planned/active behaviour but it leads to very real problems. Ironically it's the very opposite of "shallow" - it's the most deep running and inherent racism there is. Most people don't even know it exists.

Plus you owe it to yourself to watch Jon's debate with Destiny. It's full blown racist stuff. Nothing he has done is "fair".

Okay thanks. I have a honestly real hard time parsing through this topic, as it's dense and seems filled with general misinformation from all spectrums. It's not a willful ignorance, but a state of not knowing who to believe--if that makes sense.

Gonna have to stop you there. What is your end?

Just a lower/middle class white boy that lives in the midwest. Seems to be a lot of racial diversity and tolerance (my whole life), besides jackasses that make the news.

God damn at this flood of low post-total burner accounts bending over backwards to find something, anything they can congratulate JonTron for.

"Congratulations for being consistent in your white supremacism instead of some phony!"

Nanashrew

Banned
Also I'm glad you wrote this because it's essentially "why Trump won - The Post". White people have a culture in the US, whether you like it or not. Just because people chose to sacrifice everything they had at the altar of capitalism and profit, it doesn't mean they didn't have anything to sacrifice in the first place.

Define white culture.

And sorry for jumping in the middle here, just personally related today due to conversations I had with my family regarding strange racial segregation in attempts for non segregation (the work example). If this is too off topic ignore me.
Celebration and awareness != segregation

Equality != race erasure

If you actually familiarized yourself with what he said you'd understand the how and why of that particular toxicity and how your argument, as well meaning and well-intentioned as it might be, is only promoting that toxicity further.

The discourse is different than it used to be because people who otherwise did not have as much of a voice or presence in our culture suddenly are able to speak loudly and clearly when they feel they're being marginalized.

this is considered "toxic" by some.

But it's not just a case of more of a certain minority speaking up about inequalities, it's about how a person seemingly can't just make a bad joke or have an uniformed opinion without an internet mob labeling that person and attacking them and potentially ruining their careers. What good does that really do, and what does that say about the people who are so morally judgmental and unforgiving?

For fucks sake do better

When people spout racist, xenophobic, shit from their mouth holes, people tend to feel some type of way.

Fuck racism. Fuck Xenophobia.

There.

But I think it's not unfair to say that we have become a culture of outrage where somewhat trivial things are turned into career ruining scandals, where a bad joke can get you fired, where ignorance on a topic completely irrelevant to what you actually do can cause you to have labels attached to you that are almost impossible to get rid of. This isn't necessarily about JonTron, but just about how unforgiving and vindictive we are becoming.

That's all that you need to say in your post. And we can promptly ignore the rest since like you said...you are willfully ignorant of the topic.

I'm speaking about the discussions that arise from these controversies, not specifically about JonTron and his statements. If this thread is supposed to be an echo chamber of fuck this guy then I'll definitely see my way out.

And just to be clear, I am not defending anything JonTron said or believes.

PixelatedBookake

Nepenthe is a girl

Give me a single example of white culture

Nepenthe is a girl
bruh i just got whiplash

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
The Christianity thread was deeply misconstrued from my end, to the point of personal despair, but I have learned from it in some regards.

I made my post just to say I think there are a lot of over reactions in culture both ways and it seems to stifle progress.

And I guess I don't understand his view in context to the conversation, but I felt his point about hypocrisy in racial stat observations were fair.

All his racial stat observations were 100% made up. The idea that people don't want to discuss real statistics is ridiculous. How do you think people show evidence of things like voter suppression and purposeful gerrymandering if not using statistics? Jon is annoyed people don't believe his lies (100% easily proven lies) not that people genuinely ignore statistics

What?

You're literally going to bat for a guy who think black people literally have a crime gene bro.

gotoadgo

Why would you make this post while admitting you're wilfully ignorant on the topic at hand? I'm genuinely curious as to why people do this. No one will listen to your point of view once you assert that. Why would you not first catch up on what's going on(there's an abundance of information on this now) and then give us your opinion?

Do you hear people talking about cars and how they work, interject with your opinion and then state you only have a cursory idea on how cars work? Would you expect people to then take your opinion into consideration? Because they wont.

But it's not just a case of more of a certain minority speaking up about inequalities, it's about how a person seemingly can't just make a bad joke or have an uniformed opinion without an internet mob labeling that person and attacking them and potentially ruining their careers. What good does that really do, and what does that say about the people who are so morally judgmental and unforgiving?

The solution is to stop being a racist.

That's it. Just pause, consider the actual harm done to millions of people in this country alone by racism over the course of its history, and then realize that you're part of the problem and should stop advocating for overtly racist causes.

Nobody here is about to end JonTron's career, there is certainly a bit of wagon circling going around and I'm fully confident he'll make next month's rent.

But this 'meet them in the middle' devotion to absolute impartiality has a limit. You cannot meet someone in the middle of 'black people are human beings' and 'black people are not human beings.'

Nepenthe is a girl

giphy.gif

Trolls can't even get a leg to stand on.

And what of the people who double down when confronted instead of simply apologizing and learning from their mistakes? Literally this has happened a ton and in the long run has worked out for them...

Hell, for awhile Penny Arcade got into one of them nearly every year.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member

But I think it's not unfair to say that we have become a culture of outrage where somewhat trivial things are turned into career ruining scandals, where a bad joke can get you fired, where ignorance on a topic completely irrelevant to what you actually do can cause you to have labels attached to you that are almost impossible to get rid of. This isn't necessarily about JonTron, but just about how unforgiving and vindictive we are becoming.

I'm speaking about the discussions that arise from these controversies, not specifically about JonTron and his statements. If this thread is supposed to be an echo chamber of fuck this guy then I'll definitely see my way out.

This is 100% a thread to discuss Jon, if you have no interest in doing that then you've entered the thread in bad faith. Seems a little vindictive to me. If you refuse to educate yourself on what he said and refuse to discuss the actual topic you should ask yourself what your motivations for posting here in the first place are

This thread is literally about Jon ”I don't think a pure society is possible, but in terms of a demographic majority, I don't know that a nation can exist without one" Tron not your pet project about how people get fired for what you think isn't real racism.

FiggyCal

Banned

Okay thanks. I have a honestly real hard time parsing through this topic, as it's dense and seems filled with general misinformation from all spectrums. It's not a willful ignorance, but a state of not knowing who to believe--if that makes sense.

Just a lower/middle class white boy that lives in the midwest. Seems to be a lot of racial diversity and tolerance (my whole life), besides jackasses that make the news.

I think you have to ask yourself whether the views your being exposed to are mainstream or fringe. It would be a little unfair to listen to only certain voices and then deciding that they constitute "both sides".

LionPride

Banned

Being openly racist isn't exactly trivial to me. Colin Moriarty got in trouble for prolonged fuckboy activity that culminated with his sexist joke. Don't get it twisted. Willful ignorance does not deserve forgiveness. JonTron and others like ho=im are willfully ignorant and want to push the blame on others for not getting their humor or to the media for being different. That shit is played out as all hell and overly stupid.

People need to stop with this leaving the thread bullshit when they get called out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom