• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JonTron Releases a Statement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armaros

i agree with pretty much everything he said,including the fact that the pewdiepie thing and the jontron incident only have marginal points in common,which is,the youtubers not understanding his own media power.

Oh, they know their power, it's why they want the double standard of celebrity fame, but please don't scrutinize their words because they are 'just Youtubers'

The Boogie video infuriates me so much. Even if he is your friend, how in the world can you tolerate the shit that came out of his mouth and not condemn him? I'm tired of this guy's consistent need to sit on the fucking fence because he's scared of losing subscribers. Fuck him.

V_Arnold

Curious I'm not trying to insult you or anything but did you watch the debate Jon had. Because the shit he says is fucking jaw droppingly racist. "Dilute the gene pool" "richest blacks commit more crime than the poorest whites because of Africa". No video about the "big scary" media will ever convince me otherwise.

I watched the initial video, commented on it here rather harshly (indefensible bullshit), and I never once defended JonTron over that. I just questioned the amount the thread itself accomplishes, which is basically NOTHING. But we all feel good about ourselves now. (How about instead pushing Youtube to simply delete racist channels?)

I mean, who am I to judge people's taste in comedy? Some people in this thread and the last are fans who are disappointed when they learned JonTron's views, so it would be nice if there was some means for them able to continuing enjoy the comedy without supporting him.

Here's the thing: I am one of those disappointed fans. He was funny. Now I can't imagine actually looking at him. I hate that topics & articles critical of him have his gifs or pics in them because of who I know the man is now. Even if you could re-host his vids, personally I can't imagine ever going back to watch them despite liking his comedy. It's tainted.

V_Arnold

Here's the thing: I am one of those disappointed fans. He was funny. Now I can't imagine actually looking at him. I hate that topics critical of him have his gifs or pics in them because of who I know the man is now. Even if you could re-host his vids, personally I can't imagine ever going back to watch them despite liking his comedy. It's tainted.

Yeah, this is happening with me as well. I will not be watching him further. If it was just a random right-wing tweet, okay, but after sitting through two hours, I got a glimpse of a personality type that I do not like at all.

How will people know to push for YouTube to do that? This thread also pointed out that Jim Sterling article to you :)

True, but I am already as liberal as it gets. Lefter than most of gaf for sure. We all feel good and sometimes infight but looking at the big picture, gaf is still just a left-wing echo chamber (with a touch of fiscal conservativism when it comes to stuff like basic income .P)

I3rand0

The Boogie video infuriates me so much. Even if he is your friend, how in the world can you tolerate the shit that came out of his mouth and not condemn him? I'm tired of this guy's contestant need to sit on the fucking fence because he's scared of losing subscribers. Fuck him.

Couldn't agree more.

I watched the initial video, commented on it here rather harshly (indefensible bullshit), and I never once defended JonTron over that. I just questioned the amount the thread itself accomplishes, which is basically NOTHING. But we all feel good about ourselves now. (How about instead pushing Youtube to simply delete racist channels?)

I reported Jon's channel last week on YouTube. I don't think they're going to do anything and neither will Maker at this point.

MrBadger

I think it's fine. There's nothing really to be discussed anymore regarding it until he says anything new. People on the subreddit already shitted on him A LOT. We can clearly see where he stands politically, and whoever thinks this is a reason to unsubscribe already did, and the same for who didn't.

Jontron hasn't put out any content in a long time, so by that logic they might as well just lock the subreddit completely until he makes another wacky review.

Bahorel

I mean didn't you say on the previous page that seeing that Jim article here made you realize your own complacency? The thread is helping spread information that is still not being paid enough attention to, based on the fact that people are still jumping on the jontron subscription train.

V_Arnold

I mean didn't you say on the previous page that seeing that Jim article here made you realize your own complacency? The thread is helping spread information that is still not being paid enough attention to, based on the fact that people are still jumping on the jontron subscription train.

Well yeah, but my point is that we need to convince...you know, people who voted Trump, for example. How do we start that conversation going? (Not really trying to move the goalpost here, just clarified my position about what I found lacking in the previous thread). Of course, these things are not mutually exclusive, so who am I kidding...

It's a little strange to claim that threads like these accomplish nothing when it opened your eyes to something new, no? Especially since you're already as liberal as it gets yet were unaware that public figures spouting neonazi propaganda can be bad for the kids?

Point taken.

R0ckman

From what I've experienced, if its a peddler of this kind of stuff (who isnt really indoctrinated by it), they know they are lying but think the can get away with it. So its more so the villain doesn't really care about morality, is purely agenda based and thinks of themselves as invincible.

Yea, that shit is obscene. Met her IRL though my job, a really nice, charming person. Dont know what the fuck she's thinking politically though. I suppose someone thought there'd be voters in this stunt.

Idk man. This isn't her first time doing shitty things. She once claimed that a children's school had banned pork from being served when that was not true. Didn't she also write the law that says that immigrants have to hand over gold and any other precious jewelry to help pay for their entry?

Goldmund

I was expecting him to make a video about this, but this article is pretty good and deserves to be read to those two idiots (and their supporters) as a way to remind them they've been living inside a bubble called "YouTube" for a pretty long time now...
If you want to hold on to the image of imaginary racist Richard Gere having an epiphany and changing his ways because a well-spoken colleague made him realize the errors of his ways, don't read the comments.

Ok fair enough. I didn't mean that you were swayed into defending Jon but just as you said that which hunts do nothing, I thought that you thought that the media reporting this or wishing that Jon was punished for this would do nothing. But yea thank you for clarifying.
Defiantly agree with that notion that youtube should monitor this stuff. You can claim free speech but youtube is a privately owned website, they can choose whatever they and stop any channel like that. I'm more surprised Make/Disney hasn't done anything to Jon when they stopped supporting PDP relatively quickly

Bahorel

Well yeah, but my point is that we need to convince...you know, people who voted Trump, for example. How do we start that conversation going? (Not really trying to move the goalpost here, just clarified my position about what I found lacking in the previous thread). Of course, these things are not mutually exclusive, so who am I kidding...

The trump voters who are subscribed to Jon aren't going to change their minds. If we're entering a goal for the big picture into the discussion, it should be educating the teens subscribers who aren't old enough to vote yet and just now forming their world views that Jons political opinions are vile and wrong and to stay away.

MKIL65

Whats even more depressing is that his views on immigration are pretty much the way my country (Denmark) does Its immigration policy.

This is how the immigration minister celebrated that we now have 50 laws making it more difficult for immigrants in Denmark...

She actually received some backlash for it (thankfully)

XWhSTlz.png

PMS341

Kind of sad and unfortunate that the trend of appealing to 4chan and ilk has led more Youtubers into sacrificing their integrity and humility for the sake of votes, views, and shares (which, in reality, tend to benefit Google and various advertisers/corporations moreso than the creators themselves).

joe2187

Banned
Kind of sad and unfortunate that the trend of appealing to 4chan and ilk has led more Youtubers into sacrificing their integrity and humility for the sake of votes, views, and shares (which, in reality, tend to benefit Google and various advertisers/corporations moreso than the creators themselves).

Money over Morality. That's it.

L Thammy

Is that what happened here, though? It sounds like JonTron genuinely has these views. Saying that he does it for attentions risk reducing a hateful, actively harmful person to simply an irresponsible, greedy one.

I think Ender's Game fans have a good stance. Enjoy the content, but fully acknowledge that the creator is horrible.

I don't know, I was a huge fan but I honestly haven't been able to enjoy Ender's Game since finding out about that stuff..

Same deal with Earthworm Jim.

This thread (and the other one) did a pretty good job of unpacking/ explaining Jontron's horseshit to people who were initially less informed.

Also a centralized hub for new developments/updates

L Thammy

I kind of missed TB's response. So is he a confirmed cunt now? I heard he defended jontron.

Goes way further than that. He retconned himself as a Gamergate supporter after pretending to be neutral for a while just to get a claim that Gamergate actually fought corruption in the gaming industry. He also claimed to be an octopus because people called him on flip-flopping between defining himself as a journalist and as an entertainer in order to avoid having any sort of integrity, which I don't think gets mocked enough.

Apathy

I kind of missed TB's response. So is he a confirmed cunt now? I heard he defended jontron.
He's been a cunt for years, it's just now people finally want to open their eyes to it.

He used his replies to bitch at gizmodo for writing a jontron article instead of condemning jontron himself for having horribly racists views. Same with boogie not wanting to outright condemn jontron. Like he's a fucking racist, no one needs to be on eggshells. You condemn a racist, or you support him, there is no middle ground on that.

Goldmund

I only got as far as the title of his presumed rant, "Gizmodo, Planet of Hacks" (they had called JonTron's recent endeavors "batshit crazy"), but I'd assume that the only thing King Neckbeard could truly defend is his non-existing-God-given right to be pompous about whatever his oh-so-rational opinion is this time.

grim-tales

Yikes. I don't really follow YouTube celebrities (unless Retsupurae counts I guess, but I haven't kept up with them either recently) so I'm mostly familiar with Boogie through his posts in the Gamergate thread way back when. Struck me as a generally well-meaning guy who was standing with non-well-meaning guys because of naivity and emotional instability.

I'm vaguely aware that he's kept up allegience with Gamergate folk, but has he been spreading a lot off this stuff himself? I'm honestly wondering if he was just doing an innocent act back then or if he's absorbed these ideas by being around these people.

I think Ender's Game fans have a good stance. Enjoy the content, but fully acknowledge that the creator is horrible. But I've heard that sometimes JonTron's content involves repeatedly throwing out ethnic slurs and such nonsense so I don't know if that's possible here.

That's a good way to look at it. But then we go back to "seperating art from artist" and while I havent watched Jon's videos from the very beginning, I have enjoyed them and a big part of that is what he presents as his "personality" within (silly and goofy, not the racial slurs part) if that makes sense.

However as you say, I dont know if thats possible as this whole thing has changed the way I look at Jontron.

PSqueak

Banned
I think Ender's Game fans have a good stance. Enjoy the content, but fully acknowledge that the creator is horrible. But I've heard that sometimes JonTron's content involves repeatedly throwing out ethnic slurs and such nonsense so I don't know if that's possible here.

I remember when he was still on game grumps and they were playing Megaman 7 and they were making jokes about a weapon named "Freeze Cracker" and amused because it "sounded like something a black cop would shout at a white criminal" and the Jon said something along the lines of "A black man arresting a white man?! that will be the day!"

It made me really uncomfortable and im not even american or dark skinned.

ErichWK

What is it with youtube personalities becoming shit lords?

Is it because they have no interaction with people outside of a message board or chat and get surrounded by shitbag trolls who are say awful things ironically..but then start to believe those awful things?

yyr

Jim's article is a good read.

Now I'm trying to convince an idiot in the comments that yes, content creators should be held responsible for what they say.

No, this is why idolizing someone to the point of holding their beliefs. The real problem are the people who would do that, not the "celebrities" who hold these opinions.
" They will repeat racist messages just because X said them" guess what, the problem is not that X said them, it's that those people are retards and can't think for themselves.

Seriously...

Goes way further than that. He retconned himself as a Gamergate supporter after pretending to be neutral for a while just to get a claim that Gamergate actually fought corruption in the gaming industry. He also claimed to be an octopus because people called him on flip-flopping between defining himself as a journalist and as an entertainer in order to avoid having any sort of integrity, which I don't think gets mocked enough.

Wow so he just came out and admitted his love for GG, don't worry now that I know he's besmirching the good name of cephalopods everywhere I'll ensure people know that no-one has ever accused an octopus of posting tiresome rants on SA about IQ making a person right and then spent the rest of their lives disproving it.

At least with Ender's Game fans they don't have to look at Orson Scott's face while enjoying his book.

What's wrong with TB and Boogie, aside from taking a more centrist approach (which is a bit spineless, sure but not on the same level as a goddamn white supremacist)? I'm a bit out of the loop.

A centric view is nice if you're white. For us other folks though it's giving racism a pass, which is bullshit.

APF

"Don't be racist" should be the centrist position. Trying to find the middle between "don't be racist" and "be really transparently racist" means you feel people should be racist.

Tiops

Well so do I but I believe the reason is a lot more about protecting JonTrons brand than it is about keeping things "light hearted" in a subreddit we now know is dedicated to a white supremacist.

That's possible. I don't know how "official" subreddits work, but I'd believe that the creators have adminstrative powers on it to prevent it from turning on a subreddit dedicated to shitting on the person.

About being dedicated to a white supremacist, yes, but separating work from the artist and all that. People usually close their eyes to shit that people they like do because they like their art (and Jon was never outright racists on his reviews). So we can say the subreddit is dedicated to JonTron reviews, not his white supremacist views.

If you go to the subreddit now there is no post defending what he has said or anything, maybe only some comments. It even has a post with a quote from one of his videos to bait people from r/The_Donald and r/KiA just to out them and ban them.

Jontron hasn't put out any content in a long time, so by that logic they might as well just lock the subreddit completely until he makes another wacky review.

But that's how his channel works for a few years already. The subscriber count in the subreddit is "x days until next JonTron", and it's one of the reasons that it's a shitposting subreddit. People need stupid memes to keep the community alive.

What's wrong with TB and Boogie, aside from taking a more centrist approach (which is a bit spineless, sure but not on the same level as a goddamn white supremacist)? I'm a bit out of the loop.

TotalBiscuit's approach is to go after the media for doing its job while pretending to be neutral so he can avoid having to take any responsibility for his shitty opinions. He did it during GamerGate, and he's doing it now regarding JonTron.

He's not a centrist, he's a gutless coward.

That's a good way to look at it. But then we go back to "seperating art from artist" and while I havent watched Jon's videos from the very beginning, I have enjoyed them and a big part of that is what he presents as his "personality" within (silly and goofy, not the racial slurs part) if that makes sense.

However as you say, I dont know if thats possible as this whole thing has changed the way I look at Jontron.
It's a personal decision, but the call to dump an entertainment personality is relatively uncumbersome these days, as there's not exactly a lack of entertainment out there not produced by racist shitheads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom