• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JUICY RUMOR: Next Resident Evil similar to Revelations, E3 2014, not RE7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neff

Come on, current gen only.

I'm positive it will be, if it's on console. Capcom love showing off their big budget graphical expertise with RE, and they can't really do that with last gen anymore.

Although we should consider that it might be on a portable.

-Ammo balance was better, it wasn't extremely limited like old RE

Ammo was never 'extremely limited' in RE. Unless you're playing for the first time, or very badly, or squandering, you will have enough ammo to kill anything that takes your fancy.

-MD-

There was a little more that but it took the best parts of classic RE (exploration), with the best parts of RE4 (gunplay and upgrades) and married them.

-Tension was better as every area wasn't a kill room.
-Ammo balance was better, it wasn't extremely limited like old RE (because that wouldn't jive with the gameplay) but you did need to decide if it was worth killing an enemy or avoiding it.

Tension and ammo balance? We must have played different versions of the game. I killed absolutely everything I saw and was drowning in ammo the entire game.

Paracelsus

They need to cut on the action, slow down the pacing, make enemies a lot more dangerous and environments more complicated to travel through, other than put a disclaimer at the beginning of the game

You want action? Go play Gears of War or something.

could THIS be xbone's big 3rd party exclusive? I can totally see Capcom being down to do an exclusive spin-off title, as long as MS is paying...

I dunno, that would be pretty much ignoring their home market. Don't see it happening, even if it isn't a numbered entry it's still an RE with AAA production values, releasing it on a system that the japanese wont touch with a 10 foot pole seems weird, I don't think they'd want to do that with this franchise.

Somnid

I think it will reach 360/PS3/WiiU as a console game unless it got bank-rolled. I wouldn't rule out PS4/XB1 but it has no sales potential in Japan on those platforms so I think it might be harder to justify an exclusive just yet.

Revelations is just as much an action game as RE4 and 5. People who think it's a return to survival horror are simply fooled by spooky environments and don't actually look at the gameplay. You can even strafe/move while shooting!

That's why I didn't even want to play with a second stick on 3DS anyway.
Other than that, they removed merchants, QTEs, big inventories and even though the exploration was minor, it was much more than RE4-6 ever did. Same goes for puzzles. Nothing truly complicated, but some simple RE2-esque ,,find x/insert y/turn on valve here'' mechanics that also require backtracking and aren't completely moronic as RE4 ,,puzzles''. And yeah, environments play a big part too, why wouldn't they?

It's modern RE, but undeniably closer to it's roots than the other games. Capcom wants that casual money and not scare them with real survival horror, so we ain't gonna get another REmake level game, but REV is the closest compromise and much more ,,real'' RE than the alternatives.

Seyavesh

hoping for claire and rebecca, but it sounds like it's gonna be rebecca and billy more likely.
can't really imagine who this background 'non-active' char would be besides hunnigan but that's such a weird pick for a playable character...

revelations is ultimately limited by it's original format, but it's a pretty clever and amazing game for a 3ds game. the design is more or less perfect for it, but that doesn't transfer over to PC/tv consoles so well because the specific design of the game is really based around the 3ds's control and general playstyle limitations.

capcom is totally the type of company to possibly get the wrong message from people viscerally disliking re6 though and might just try and imitate it the revelation gameplay to some degree without major thought as to why it was effective though.. ugh, i really hope that's not the case. i'd like to see some evolution of gameplay with strong level/encounter design but really who knows with capcom. survival-horror focus on design and tone would be a huge plus, especially given it's a side game too (as per their plan)

what i'm saying is please make a good game that's all i want please god just make a good game instead of almost-good or bad ones

Paracelsus

And REvelations is more corny than it is spooky

*Get through showers*
*Nothing happens*
*Find key, now go back*
[Wanna bet it now crawls with enemies?]
*BOOOOO! Haunted House*

Astral

Can we just get REmake HD already, or at least something extremely close? I finally wanna play that game already.

-MD-

Can we just get REmake HD already, or at least something extremely close? I finally wanna play that game already.

I think the argument against that is all the static backgrounds are sub-hd or something so they would have to redo them all to make it "HD". Something like that.

I'd absolutely kill to see REmake on PC though. It's the best game in the series.

paolo11

I am guessing it will be Carlos, Claire, and Rebecca. We haven't seen those characters in a decade except for Claire if we count the RE movie.

Then again, I'm just making a wild guess.

Taruranto

People acting like Revelations is similar to classic Resident Evil is really frustrating.

You know what they say, beggars can't choose. :/

Compared to RE4/5/6 Revelation was a breath of fresh air, even with the Gears of Wars parts outside the ship... and the stupid parter in the ship.

Miker

I feel like the love towards REvelaitons is some sort of weird counterbalance to the hate towards RE6.

REvelaitons was not that great. The Jill parts of the game were the only thing remotely close to classic survival horror, and even then, it was still through the lens of RE4/5, by which I mean you shoot everything and have plenty of ammo. Hell, the shooting wasn't even that good - weak weapons and the melee animations were a bit lacking.

And there's also the other parts of the game that people seem to have forgotten entirely or just didn't play - the Terragrigia sections with Parker, the Keith and Quint sections, and hell, even Chris and Jessica's sections. Those were all even more linear shootfests than any area in RE4/5 and maybe even RE6, made all the more dull by the simplistic combat.

Hell, I'd argue that RE4, the game that turned the RE series into action games, is closer to the series' roots than REvelations.

I'd figure the amount of money you'd need to spend to moneyhat Capcom's second biggest franchise right now, might as well just buy Capcom.

Nintendo seemed to manage for RE4 and Revelations, timed exclusives of course but I'm not sure what's changed that makes it equivalent to buying the company.

Hell maybe it's a Wii U exclusive!

Nintendo seemed to manage for RE4 and Revelations, timed exclusives of course but I'm not sure what's changed that makes it equivalent to buying the company.

The RE4 exclusivity was triggered by Mikami being bitter with Sony at the time, there's an interview with someone from sony who was at that meeting that describes it in great detail.

Edit: it was actually an interview with someone from Xbox, basically nintendo was the last option he had left:

Microsoft had heard on the grapevine that Shinji Mikami, famed creator of Resident Evil, had grown tired and frustrated with developing for the PlayStation 2, which hadn't even been out a year. There were whispers that Mikami was thinking about moving Resident Evil away from PlayStation. He was looking at Microsoft, preparing to launch the Xbox, and Nintendo, preparing to launch the GameCube. Microsoft saw its chance, and set up a meeting.

The meeting was conducted by a member of Microsoft Japan's staff who could speak both English and Japanese. Things began cordially, but soon started to deteriorate. Bachus shifted uneasily in his seat. He could tell from Mikami's body language and tone that he wasn't happy with the answers he was getting. The entire meeting was conducted in Japanese. Notes were passed to Bachus explaining what was going on but all he could do was watch in horror, helpless, as it fell apart. The meeting ended abruptly. Mikami stood, bowed, and left.

Bachus was furious. The translator explained: Mikami had confirmed what Microsoft had heard, that he was frustrated developing for PlayStation 2, which was tough to work with. But his team's bonuses were tied to game sales. He needed a reason, a way to explain the shift away from the wildly successful PlayStation 2, the dominant platform of the time, to the Xbox, which had yet to launch, and which in most Japanese eyes was doomed to failure. “What do you guys have to offer?” he asked, bluntly.

Eventually an exasperated Mikami boiled it down: 'what is your philosophy? Sony says games are entertainment, something larger, fuelled by the Emotion Engine. Nintendo says games are toys, created by the legendary Shigeru Miyamoto, perhaps the greatest game developer of all time. What do you feel?' Microsoft had no answer.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-12-13-why-xbox-failed-in-japan

As for Revelations, the budget isn't even comparable to making a AAA RE on a new console and with the crazy instal base the 3DS has in Japan it was always money on the table.

boinx

Meh, Revelations was one of the weaker RE games.. Honestly I would not mind another classic tank control locked camera angle resident evil. And with zombies, not some fucking water monsters.

Revelations was so shit, i can't believe people think it was a return to classic RE. Running around boring empty areas and occasionally shooting fish men was not RE.

Timmy00

Revelations was alright... I just wish they didn't have the Chris's parts in it, I'd rather just have an even larger ship to explore than those sections. I'd rather the next game be like revelations though than 6. The gunplay was really fun but I just don't think it fits. I'd rather see a Mercenaries spin off (that isn't like that 3DS game) with tons of maps, weapons, and an even more expanded RE6 combat system.

I'm hesitant to say Barry and Claire will be in the next RE game, mostly because News Bot say the two characters haven't made an appearance in over a decade and technically barry was in RE5 (though mercenaries dlc) and Claire was in the Mercenaries 3DS game. Those technically are not full fledged appearances though so maybe he just didn't think about that. If News Bot already address this and I missed it, apologies.

If Capcom does make the next game like Revelations, just make it one tightly wrapped story, not what revelations was. I hated how the game took you out of the ship and made you play other boring sections. At this point, I honestly want the game to kind of go back to how the older games were, no chapters or anything. Just make the game keep on going without interrupting you like that. I also wouldn't mind if the game got rid of moving and shooting but I know a lot of people will disagree.

I don't even.

There's nothing wrong with wanting cross gen ;p Not everyone is jumping on the PS4/Xbox One train just yet so

The RE4 exclusivity was triggered by Mikami being bitter with Sony at the time, there's an interview with someone from sony who was at that meeting that describes it in great detail.

As for Revelations, the budget isn't even comparable to making a AAA RE on a new console and with the crazy instal base the 3DS has in Japan it was always money on the table.

Maybe a 3DS exclusive then?

Steez

Revelations was so shit, i can't believe people think it was a return to classic RE. Running around boring empty areas and occasionally shooting fish men was not RE.

I feel like people give it a pass, because it wasn't exactly like RE5 or RE6. It's an incredibly bland and mediocre game imo.

sleepykyo

I'd figure the amount of money you'd need to spend to moneyhat Capcom's second biggest franchise right now, might as well just buy Capcom.

Fuck no, it's time to move on.

a full on re7, maybe. But Microsoft already got dr3, another 1-2 mil re spinoff like rev/orc seems like it is in the same ballpark.

The Capcom back then and the Capcom right now aren't the same.

Also I would hardly count Revelations. A game with the potential to ship multiple millions like a numbered RE sequel wouldn't be cheap.

Astral Dog

Revelations was not bad, just a mediocre RE game, with an even worse story than 5 and 6, too much action for a supposed horror game, but i guess this could be anything, maybe the exclusive PS4 Resident Evil game?

A Revelations sequel or something could be great, it doesnt have to be that similar, maybe this means more of a single player game

Neff

Hell maybe it's a Wii U exclusive!

Well Bot did say 'certain fans will be happy', and Nintendo does seem intent on making Wii U Gamecube part II...

RE:R's post-credits scene left room for a sequel.

But I wonder why they don't just call it Resident Evil 7 lol.

If it's not numbered, then I'd guess it's a spinoff, probably initially exclusive to one platform. The numbered multiplat title comes later.

See my edit if you're curious about the RE4 thing, it's a great read and a perfect demonstration of why I doubt Capcom would put this exclusively on the X1.
Both consoles is my guess.

I remember that story but don't see how it has anything to do with Capcom exclusives on Xbox platforms after the first Xbox.

The Capcom back then and the Capcom right now aren't the same.

Also I would hardly count Revelations. A game with the potential to ship multiple millions like a numbered RE sequel wouldn't be cheap.

So the hint is it's a Revelations type game and you'd hardly count Revelations as an example. Ok I'm out.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I would love either a Resident Evil 6 style game with better encounters and same combat system or something very similar to the excellent DLC for RE5, that to me was the closest RE felt to the older games in recent years. I didn't dislike Resident Evil Revelations but I found it a bit of a disappointment tbh.

I remember that story but don't see how it has anything to do with Capcom exclusives on Xbox platforms after the first Xbox.

The Xbox brand will never be successful in Japan and I doubt that Capcom would develop a RE game exclusively on a platform that is ignored in their home market. Just speculation on my part, doesn't make sense to me.

Revelations was such a mediocre game. Bullet sponge enemies that looked ridiculous and lacked any of the feedback that made RE4's combat good, annoying boss battles, nonsense story and dialog, annoying characters..I can't believe I fell for the hype on that one. 3ds early adopters trying to justify their purchase.

No use getting hype at all, even after being shown trailers. Not until I play the game because I don't trust these fuckers to ever make a good RE game ever again.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Call it "Biohazard 7: Biohazard 5-6 never happened," and we're cool Capcom.

What RE movies are canon?

Biohazard: Degeneration/Damnation.

Degeneration introduced Tricell that is "introduced" in Bio5.

Dunno abotu Damnation. Never watched it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom