• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June 2014 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes July 15th

Bgamer90

Banned
Xbox:
June 2002 - 263K
June 2003 - 166K

Xbox 360:
June 2006 - 277K
June 2007 - 198K

This is how Xbox should be selling in the USA market in June.

If Xbox One can't manage 100K in June, there's something seriously wrong with its value proposition.

What would be the point it should reach then for things to be acceptable in your opinion? Based on that, I could understand if one said that the Xbox One should at least be at 200K for June but I don't think that will be the case.

jakncoke

Banned
NPD isn't everything, though.

MS will always have at least decent sales in the US, but it will struggle immensly in europe and even worse in Japan.

The Wii U is selling pretty well in Japan and to a lesser extent in Europe.

Comparing both only with NPD isn't very fair.

If XB1 has a <150k 5-week June, it's definitely fair to make the Wii U comparisons.

Selling well is a pretty big stretch for Wii U sales in Japan, home console sales are just a sad wasteland now in Japan.

What would be the point it should reach then for things to be acceptable in your opinion? Based on that, I could understand if one said that the Xbox One should at least be at 200K for June but I don't think that will be the case.

Based on precedent? It needs to be at least 160-170K.

If it's lower than Xbox 360's 2013 sales (141K), that would be concerning. Under 100K and we can start to bring Wii U sales into the discussion.

Yoda

Agree. I would be really surprised if it's under 150K.

I think July's numbers will be very telling. June's will probably be inflated from the new SKU's announcement. July won't have any people who may have held out in May to buy in June. Microsoft needs to increase it's month to month baseline of sales otherwise it will be a slow painful slide until the holidays.

Sharpeye

Will E3 have any sort of influence in regards to sales this month or will sales over all be about the same as any other month?

Kysen

Dunno where this sub 150k talk for X1 is coming from it should be able to easily beat out 100k when May was 77k. Are people really suggesting that a $100 off the basic sku and bundles galore is less than 80k of additional sales?

Also for that amazon ranking one thing you need to consider is that even though individually the each sku of the X1 is lower there are more than 1. So if it was possible to see the combined total ranked it could be much higher than it appears. A similar effect was seen earlier in the year when you had the titanfall bundle along side the bare $499 sku.

Yoda

Dunno where this sub 150k talk for X1 is coming from it should be able to easily beat out 100k when May was 77k. Are people really suggesting that a $100 off the basic sku and bundles galore is less than 80k of additional sales?

Also for that amazon ranking one thing you need to consider is that even though individually the each sku of the X1 is lower there are more than 1. So if it was possible to see the combined total ranked it could be much higher than it appears. A similar effect was seen earlier in the year when you had the titanfall bundle along side the bare $499 sku.

Well remember during March the X1 was unofficially on sale. A bundled game + $50 price cuts at most major retailers and it still underperformed. In this case it is cheaper but it isn't technically a price-cut because the are removing the Kinect from the package. There are no highly anticipated games, and it's still selling at price parity with the competition, not below it. It will be 100k easily because it was a 5 week tracking period + E3. The question is whether the new SKU adds new baseline sales outside of those two factors.

Into

[PS4] 220k
[XB1] 140k
[WiiU] 90k
[3DS] 80k
[X360] 65k
[PS3] 45k

Unlike the rest of you heathens, i do take Amazon charts for something! I kid =P, but i do take them more seriously than most do. Its one of the only few ways to even get a feel for how something is doing, and its better than nothing. And so far has predicted the rankings just fine for NPD. It obviously cannot predict the range. So one has to take the placement of products and try to gauge some kind of narrative.

I think this forum would burn to the ground if XB1 does 90k and Wii U does 100k, i do not believe that will happen, i think the Xbox brand still carries some weight, that is clearly diminished and continues to diminish but it is still there.

To get into the alpha, or to eventually buy Destiny because the Alpha looked good?

I saw a few posters saying it just to try out the Alpha it was the usual "I went and bought a PS4 for this hope it is good" It probably does not mean anything but that thread was hype.

I'm really surprised that nearly everyone thinks the PS4 still outsold the Bone.

About a month ago a lot of people were saying that there's no way the Xbox wouldn't sell more because of the pent up interest from May's early price-cut announcement.

I saw a few posters saying it just to try out the Alpha it was the usual "I went and bought a PS4 for this hope it is good" It probably does not mean anything but that thread was hype.

That may be true I suppose but the interesting thing is with Sony's Destiny Bundle, anyone wanting a PS4 to play Destiny once it comes out will go that route. I think its much smarter overall but it is has the potential to hold off some sales prior to the bundles release if that's what people want.

I'm really surprised that nearly everyone thinks the PS4 still outsold the Bone.

About a month ago a lot of people were saying that there's no way the Xbox wouldn't sell more because of the pent up interest from May's early price-cut announcement.

I was one of those people. I would never guarantee any outcome because I believe most outcomes are at least possible, but it seemed clear to me based on how MS announced the kinectless SKU that they wanted to push some May sales into June. Kinectless was announced on May 13th with 18 days of tracking still left in the May NPD tracking period. But June has come and went and besides that one Gamestop comment we don't have any real evidence to suggest it's led to the XB1 outselling the PS4, especially with the best buy insight.

I was one of those people. I would never guarantee any outcome because I believe there most outcomes are at least possible, but it seemed clear to me based on how MS announced the kinectless SKU that they wanted to push some May sales into June. Kinectless was announced on May 13th with 18 days of tracking still left in the May NPD tracking period. But June has come and went and besides that one Gamestop comment we don't have any real evidence to suggest it's led to the XB1 outselling the PS4, especially with the best buy insight.

The only sales figures I can see are Amazon best sellers. And that would mean PS4 is still outselling the XBOX1 by a wide margin.

We will just have to wait and see.

Yep, my predictions are based partly off that single Gamestop comment as well as a peaking at the Amazon best sellers charts, where XB1 is curiously still way off the PS4.

I'm looking forward to see the effect of TLOU: R but that won't transpire for a couple months for the full picture.

Bgamer90

Banned

Like who? It's the slow Summer season and the Xbox One didn't have any big exclusive title to go alongside the new cheaper SKU; a new (big) exclusive would bring more attention to the system and get more people to see the new SKU.

So while I'm positive it did better than last month, I'm also pretty positive that it's not going to do better than the PS4.

Like who? It's the slow Summer season and the Xbox One didn't have any big exclusive title to go alongside the new cheaper SKU; a new (big) exclusive would bring more attention to the system and get more people to see the new SKU.

So while I'm positive it did better than last month, I'm also pretty positive that it's not going to do better than the PS4.

Well what I'm talking about is after Titanfall didn't manage to lift the XB1 to the No.1 spot in the NPD charts for March, people were saying that it's only got a chance to lead when the price cut comes.

Now the price-cut is here, and people (not necessarily you) are saying wait for the exclusive titles to come again. But we saw with TF that that won't help either!

Maybe I need to have a good look at that chalkboard to just assess what exactly is left for the console to catch a break...

Bgamer90

Banned
Well what I'm talking about is after Titanfall didn't manage to lift the XB1 to the No.1 spot in the NPD charts for March, people were saying that it's only got a chance to lead when the price cut comes.

And it still has that chance. It definitely needed at least a $400 SKU before the Holiday season. While I'm not going to say it's guaranteed that the Xbox One will beat the PS4 in NPD during a month this year, I wouldn't be surprised if it does (by a pretty small amount) in November or December assuming there will be deals and new bundles alongside exclusives like Halo: MMC.

Now the price-cut is here, and people (not necessarily you) are saying wait for the exclusive titles to come again. But we saw with TF that that won't help either!

Which exclusives are we talking about though? I wouldn't put a new IP (Titanfall) in the same group as a game series that's well established/popular that has been around for a decade or more.

And it still has that chance. It definitely needed at least a $400 SKU before the Holiday season. While I'm not going to say it's guaranteed that the Xbox One will beat the PS4 in NPD during a month this year, I wouldn't be surprised if it does (by a pretty small amount) in November or December assuming there will be deals and new bundles alongside exclusives like Halo: MMC.

Which exclusives are we talking about though? I wouldn't put a new IP (Titanfall) in the same group as a game series that's well established/popular that has been around for a decade or more.

Whether the XB1 can steal a month or two this year doesn't really mean much obviously. They need to arrest the PS4 gaining a bigger and bigger share of the US market.

I assume you are talking about Halo: Anniversary in your last paragraph but let's remember this is not a mainline Halo title and I would even go as far as to say that it will get lost a little amongst the Christmas stampede of titles like COD, BF etc

The reason everyone thought TF would do well and boost sales is because it was released in a drought period in terms of new titles.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

9f10.jpg

If I was new here, I would be asking about Poe's law at this point.

Bgamer90

Banned
Whether the XB1 can steal a month or two this year doesn't really mean much obviously. They need to arrest the PS4 gaining a bigger and bigger share of the US market.

And I don't think that will happen anytime soon. The Xbox One will need to pretty much outsell the PS4 by at least 100,000 every month this year to have a chance at passing it during the early part of this gen. The system should still do pretty well with the upcoming Q4 games and the new $400 SKU should help with that.

I assume you are talking about Halo: Anniversary in your last paragraph but let's remember this is not a mainline Halo title and I would even go as far as to say that it will get lost a little amongst the Christmas stampede of titles like COD, BF etc

I don't really think it will get lost. The majority of people with an Xbox One should at least know about the collection -- well, at least by the time it releases.

The reason everyone thought TF would do well and boost sales is because it was released in a drought period in terms of new titles.

It did do pretty solid (top selling Xbox One game so far right?) and helped Xbox One sales (over 2/3 of Xbox One's sold that month were the Titanfall SKU iirc) but in terms of the game just completely changing things around for the Xbox One? Changing the sales rank? Becoming this gen's Halo at a time in which there are already multiple popular console shooters? Yeah, didn't think that at all and even said that Titanfall would probably die down in popularity once the Fall shooters were released.

I don't think many people who thought that Titanfall would just comepletely change things around and dominate thought so just because it released during a drought period. They thought that simply because the game was hyped as being "the next big thing".

If I was new here, I would be asking about Poe's law at this point.

I would say there's definitely a difference between a new IP like Sunset Overdrive and a (more than likely) big release like Halo 5. Am I wrong for thinking that?

Striek

Halo MCC will be lucky to outsell Titanfall tbh. Titanfalls sales weren't bad at all, it just didn't have the impact people expected for both the XBOne and as the next big shooter. Destiny is going to be a much bigger release, no doubt eclipsing any Halo game in sales (over time). I doubt MCC impacts XBOne sales as much as another price drop/ aggressive bundling will.

ethomaz

Banned
Agree. I would be really surprised if it's under 150K.
Sub-100k will be a surprise... but over that and under 150k will be what most expect for it.

I have the exact opposite view... It will be a surprise if XB1 manage to win June... the gap in sales is just too big to be shifted.

ascii42

And I guess those numbers suggest PS4 still leading?
Yep:
I'll post this on the first page of the thread. Abdiel's Best Buy Summary for NPD! (Paraphrasing from questions I answered in the other thread)

Anyone assuming PS4 sales should be lower than last month is crazy. This is a longer month, and we didn't see PS4 sales drop, really. Things stayed pretty consistent from the previous month, some bumps due to E3 announcements... (We saw a bunch of preorders of the White Destiny bundle, but obviously that doesn't pay out until September.)

XB1 numbers got a brief jolt on the release of the Kinectless SKU, and some of the E3 positivity came through with some improvements... but it hasn't been a consistent 'push'. We haven't seen the XB1 overselling the PS4, in any of the districts I checked. Better than it was doing before, but not 'winning'. (Note, the MCC got a lot of preorders, some of the most I've seen for a XB1 game, period, but at least 80-90% of those preordering have had the system since launch.)

Wii U numbers saw boosts from the MK8 bundles, but I don't know how high high the surge will be, because inventory wasn't exactly a constant through the month. We didn't get rapid replenishment in most stores, though we typically sold through the bundles we got (MK8 bundles, that is, the older ones didn't see much jump)

Edit: I also am sad to report that we didn't see much Vita replenishment, either. Which sucks. People are actually asking about it more, or seeing the big demos we still have in some of our stores... That BL2 bundle cleaned house, and they need to give us more. I don't see us having another awesome resurgence, because we didn't have the stock to make it happen... though I doubt it'll be as low as the 3k number that was pre-2k release.
So. There ya go folks. My notes.

Eolz

Here's mine

[360] 58k
[3DS] 123k
[PS3] 42k
[PS4] 237k
[WIU] 99k
[XB1] 111k

and just for fun

[PSV] 17k
[WII] 13k

But it is. I mean, last month the Xbone did sub-80k in the US, and got outsold 2.5:1 vs the PS4. If that isn't terrible, then I don't know what is.

How about looking up.the definition of terrible? Disappointing sales in comparison to the first place product is not the same as "terrible" sales.

How about looking up.the definition of terrible? Disappointing sales in comparison to the first place product is not the same as "terrible" sales.

The Xbone's April 2014 is apparently the second worst April performance for a Microsoft console since 2005, after the 360's April 2014 performance. I'd imagine the same would be true for May 2014. I think it would be fair to say that Xbone's 2014 is tracking far behind the 360's 2006, and the latter had supply issues for most of that year.

The Xbone's April 2014 is apparently the second worst April performance for a Microsoft console since 2005, after the 360's April 2014 performance. I'd imagine the same would be true for May 2014. I think it would be fair to say that Xbone's 2014 is tracking far behind the 360's 2006, and the latter had supply issues for most of that year.

Nothing you are saying shows its selling terrible.Your comparing one month to the 360 at a different time.

A time when 360 had a head start with more games, the public said Competitor one had no games and cost to much, and competitor 2 was a childrens toy (which would soon take off.)

Exactly the same situation. Wut?

Nothing you are saying shows its selling terrible.Your comparing one month to the 360 at a different time.

A time when 360 had a head start with more games, the public said Competitor one had no games and cost to much, and competitor 2 was a childrens toy (which would soon take off.)

It's did worse in April this year than the 360 at any previous April in its active life. Any of them. It sold less than 20k a week in May, its seventh month on the market. The most hyped exclusive in a decade resulted in a drop of average weekly sales. Now we've got price parity with it's major competitor and all indications suggest that it hasn't moved the needle. It's doing terribly. Sure, it's doing better than the WiiU and the Vita did, but that's roughly equivalent of jumping over a bar that's buried into the ground.

Have you wondered why there's chat over the Xbox brand getting sold off? The fact that there's even talk of that being a vague possibility and Microsoft execs having to explicitly deny it is a demonstration as to how badly the Xbone is selling.

Wynnebeck

Banned

I know right. MS is totally fine with the fact that they are seceding marketshare back to Sony every month in NA while constantly being outsold on a monthly basis. Totes fine!

Man all those aprils the Xbox One had! You are literally fooling yourself, the sold off part is also silly talk. The only official statement from MS was spinning off being a discussion, which is not the same thing. But lets ignore Sony discussions of cutting or selling the PS brand and other such things.

Now, I have no real care of the Xbox but for a division making tons of money and selling well, saying its doing "terrible" is pure drug talk. Vita is doing terrible, Wii u could be considered doing terrible, not Xbox. You have no ground to walk on to prove the Xbox is doing terrible.
It's did worse in April this year than the 360 at any previous April in its active life. Any of them. It sold less than 20k a week in May, its seventh month on the market. The most hyped exclusive in a decade resulted in a drop of average weekly sales. Now we've got price parity with it's major competitor and all indications suggest that it hasn't moved the needle. It's doing terribly. Sure, it's doing better than the WiiU and the Vita did, but that's roughly equivalent of jumping over a bar that's buried into the ground.

Have you wondered why there's chat over the Xbox brand getting sold off? The fact that there's even talk of that being a vague possibility and Microsoft execs having to explicitly deny it is a demonstration as to how badly the Xbone is selling.

I know right. MS is totally fine with the fact that they are seceding marketshare back to Sony every month in NA while constantly being outsold on a monthly basis. Totes fine!

You have to be on something when losing a competition=terrible the company is failing. U also like those words you added I never said.

Top Bottom