• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic Park 3D |OT| It's a UNIX system! I know this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan Grant getting its attention with the flare, its scream (practical effects, ftw) and Grant's reaction is the best part of that scene. Seen clearer here.

Also, those kids should be crying and Grant / Malcolm watch it all go down for far too long before acting. But, maybe not. I've never had to deal with that level of fear. The situation is... insane.

Here's some other notes on the movie as a whole after watching it again yesterday:

- When they're in a tree and are above the Brachiosaurus's heads, they're, like, 70 feet up in that tree. They really shouldn't've climbed that high.

- To have those fully adult dinosaurs in 1993 (assuming that's when this takes place), they'd have to create them in the 50s / 60s and I suspect the genetic technology wasn't around back then. Was there ever any explanation for this timeline problem?

Here is the interview on The Today Show with Sam Neil and Laura Dern.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_-cWp3Q8W0

Why dont they talk about JP4?

They are all grown up. :)

nTditb3.jpg

Yeah. He was on this last season of Justified and it was a trip.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Just saw it yesterday in 3D. It certainly was Jurassic Park in theaters. The 3D wasn't bad, and a lot of the time it did its job of making stuff look like it was in front of other stuff. The 3D combined with the camera movement was a bit messed up in the scene where the woman is digging through the dinosaur shit.

Also, my friend and I noticed there were quite a bit of ass shots throughout the whole movie. The first one was with Hammond squatting in front of the fridge in their trailer at the beginning, with his old man cheeks looking much firmer than one would have imagined. And Alan Grant copped a feel of Lex on more than one occasion. She also seemed pretty into him, so who knows what was going on between the two of them.

My friend and I were also kind of assholes in the theater, constantly making jokes about the film, and laughing whenever stupid stuff was said or done. "I spared no expense!" was all over the place, and "It's a CD-ROM!" had us busting up. Some guy told us to keep it down. And we kept making the joke of pretending the stuff onscreen seemed like it was really there, like trying to brush aside the grass. And the joke of vocally stating our intention to keep the 3D glasses when the notice comes up at the start. That never gets old.

Octavian

Banned
Saw this yesterday. The movie was as great as ever, especially since I haven't seen it in a long time. So many great scenes. The T-rex intro still got me scared and apprehensive. Really phenomenal.

But the 3D was absolute trash. I had to sit in the very 2nd row from the screen so maybe this had something to do with it, but the picture quality was awful. Everything looked blurry and out of focus and the whole film was muddled and ugly. It completely ruined it.

Ragnarok

Just saw it yesterday in 3D. It certainly was Jurassic Park in theaters. The 3D wasn't bad, and a lot of the time it did its job of making stuff look like it was in front of other stuff. The 3D combined with the camera movement was a bit messed up in the scene where the woman is digging through the dinosaur shit.

Also, my friend and I noticed there were quite a bit of ass shots throughout the whole movie. The first one was with Hammond squatting in front of the fridge in their trailer at the beginning, with his old man cheeks looking much firmer than one would have imagined. And Alan Grant copped a feel of Lex on more than one occasion. She also seemed pretty into him, so who knows what was going on between the two of them.

My friend and I were also kind of assholes in the theater, constantly making jokes about the film, and laughing whenever stupid stuff was said or done. "I spared no expense!" was all over the place, and "It's a CD-ROM!" had us busting up. Some guy told us to keep it down. And we kept making the joke of pretending the stuff onscreen seemed like it was really there, like trying to brush aside the grass. And the joke of vocally stating our intention to keep the 3D glasses when the notice comes up at the start. That never gets old.

You guys definitely seem preeetty cool.

And this is why people just prefer to watch films at home, now.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
So wait, people saying the remastered version is only on the "3D disc," does that mean it's a disc I can't play on a 2D TV? Like it'll look all double-imaged and shit? You literally can't see the remastered version unless you're using glasses on a 3D set?

So wait, people saying the remastered version is only on the "3D disc," does that mean it's a disc I can't play on a 2D TV? Like it'll look all double-imaged and shit? You literally can't see the remastered version unless you're using glasses on a 3D set?

seems that way from what I was reading.

What? Are you 16?

TommyT

Saw this this weekend, still as great as ever. Some of the 3D was blurry/wonkey at times but overall was very good.

Yeah. He was on this last season of Justified and it was a trip.

THAT WAS HIM!? WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Jimothy

Is this a picture of you guys?

baKm61z.jpg

One day, I will be sitting behind you.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
You guys definitely seem preeetty cool.

The plot of the 6th Jurassic Park is that there's an archeological dig in Shanghai, and they find a human-dinosaur hybrid, and it's dubbed a Chinasaur.

7th film, they find the site of the impact that wiped out the dinosaurs 65 million years ago, and at the center of the impact crater is a fossilized b-ball. Turns out it was caused by Charles Barkley's great grandmother Charlene Barkley executing the precursor to the Chaos Dunk, and he has to go back in time to prevent the dinosaurs from killing her to keep himself in existence, but has to team up with a female dinosaur who he ends up falling in love with.

8th movie stars Shia LeBeouf uncovering an ancient dinosaur conspiracy and actually doubles as Indiana Jones 5, but isn't revealed to the audience until he puts his hat on at the very end.

That's some the stuff we came up with watching the movie.

Saw this yesterday. The movie was as great as ever, especially since I haven't seen it in a long time. So many great scenes. The T-rex intro still got me scared and apprehensive. Really phenomenal.

But the 3D was absolute trash. I had to sit in the very 2nd row from the screen so maybe this had something to do with it, but the picture quality was awful. Everything looked blurry and out of focus and the whole film was muddled and ugly. It completely ruined it.

2nd row is a terrible place to sit, but I saw The Dark Knight Rises in the 2nd row and the only thing worse than the angle was the entire plot, so it might have just been the projector, or even the glasses. The quality for me was crystal clear, and the 3D wasn't intrusive for most of the film; at worst it was "That looks weird right there" a few times, but most of the time it was inoffensive cutout depth stuff, with in-motion objects coming toward the screen looking pretty good for a conversion. In particular, the scene where they first get in the cars for the ride looked excellent when they drove toward the screen, with a real sense of depth to them. I got an appropriate feeling of "That looks like it's closer/further away than that other thing" throughout the movie, and I think it actually looked much better than The Green Hornet and Harry Potter in 3D.

If there was anything that could have been noticeably better, I'd have to go with the audio mixing. It seemed like the dialogue was right on par with the score volume, enough so that it wasn't as easy as it should be to pick out what the people were saying.

Is this a picture of you guys?

baKm61z.jpg

Not that asshole-ish.

No laser pointer?

do you even troll bro?

what the hell is wrong with you? its so cool you ruined someones movie.

Faithless

May I post a link to a cartoon I made about Jurassic Park here, guys?
Because guys, I wrote a Jurassic Park cartoon.
Please, guys? It's only a minute long...
Here it is, guys.
Because I love Jurassic Park.
Saw it in 3D with the kid (now grown up) who played, "More like a six foot turkey." He got an applause break at the IMAX we were in.

Siiiiiiick, bro. What was your parents reaction to this story when they picked you up from the theater?

aparisi2274

- To have those fully adult dinosaurs in 1993 (assuming that's when this takes place), they'd have to create them in the 50s / 60s and I suspect the genetic technology wasn't around back then. Was there ever any explanation for this timeline problem?

Your logic does not make sense... You speak as if it takes a T-REX 30-40yrs to mature to the size in the movie.... How do we know this? I do not recall paleontologists saying that it took that long for a dinosaur to reach the sizes we see in the movie...

If you were to try and relate them to present day animals, look at a Lion or Tiger, or even a Whale. Most of them are at their fully grown state in a matter of years (2-5yrs), and then after that, they stay pretty much the same. Whose to say that Dinosaurs did not follow the same growth patterns that our present day animals follow?

Richfield

Congrats on ruining the movie for everyone else in the same cinema.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Your logic does not make sense... You speak as if it takes a T-REX 30-40yrs to mature to the size in the movie.... How do we know this? I do not recall paleontologists saying that it took that long for a dinosaur to reach the sizes we see in the movie...

If you were to try and relate them to present day animals, look at a Lion or Tiger, or even a Whale. Most of them are at their fully grown state in a matter of years (2-5yrs), and then after that, they stay pretty much the same. Whose to say that Dinosaurs did not follow the same growth patterns that our present day animals follow?

I don't remember what the timeline in the films was, but I always assumed they started the whole cloning thing like 10 years before they get to the island in the first one.

Congrats on ruining the movie for everyone else in the same cinema.

It's not like we were the only people laughing at the jokes onscreen. And we did manage to keep it down to muted whispers after the guy said something.

And who doesn't keep the glasses? I do it for the sentimental value.

The plot of the 6th Jurassic Park is that there's an archeological dig in Shanghai, and they find a human-dinosaur hybrid, and it's dubbed a Chinasaur.

7th film, they find the site of the impact that wiped out the dinosaurs 65 million years ago, and at the center of the impact crater is a fossilized b-ball. Turns out it was caused by Charles Barkley's great grandmother Charlene Barkley executing the precursor to the Chaos Dunk, and he has to go back in time to prevent the dinosaurs from killing her to keep himself in existence, but has to team up with a female dinosaur who he ends up falling in love with.

8th movie stars Shia LeBeouf uncovering an ancient dinosaur conspiracy and actually doubles as Indiana Jones 5, but isn't revealed to the audience until he puts his hat on at the very end.

2nd row is a terrible place to sit, but I saw The Dark Knight Rises in the 2nd row and the only thing worse than the angle was the entire plot, so it might have just been the projector, or even the glasses. The quality for me was crystal clear, and the 3D wasn't intrusive for most of the film; at worst it was "That looks weird right there" a few times, but most of the time it was inoffensive cutout depth stuff, with in-motion objects coming toward the screen looking pretty good for a conversion. In particular, the scene where they first get in the cars for the ride looked excellent when they drove toward the screen, with a real sense of depth to them. I got an appropriate feeling of "That looks like it's closer/further away than that other thing" throughout the movie, and I think it actually looked much better than The Green Hornet and Harry Potter in 3D.

If there was anything that could have been noticeably better, I'd have to go with the audio mixing. It seemed like the dialogue was right on par with the score volume, enough so that it wasn't as easy as it should be to pick out what the people were saying.

Not that asshole-ish.
Somene guessed 16. My money is on 13.

Ominym

Banned
Despite having not seen it in theaters when I was younger, Jurassic Park defined a lot of my childhood. It still holds a soft spot in my heart, and I was overwhelmed with joy to finally see it in theaters.

Few things I noticed:

- They didn't fix the puppeteers hand pulling down the raptor tail, or the stage light seen in the T-rex break out. I'm fine with the fact they didn't, but I was sort-of surprised given that they could've done something with it.
- Noticed a few new lines they added, like Hammond saying, "Why oh why didn't I build in Orlando?" When the tropical storm was approaching.
- I might be crazy, but I swear the T-rex roars in the distance shortly after Muldoon and Ellie find Malcom got some sort of extension and echo that weren't there before.
- I hate 3D, but I was extremely surprised with how well they got it to work here.

Luckily, no one talked during my showing. Personal pet peeve of mine. I have no problem, especially when JP is on the line, of telling you to shut the fuck up. So Kudos to GraveHorizon for not being found dead the next morning.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Luckily, no one talked during my showing. Personal pet peeve of mine. I have no problem, especially when JP in on the line, of telling you to shut the fuck up. So Kudos to GraveHorizon for not being found dead the next morning.

Goddamn, you make it sound like we were doing this. And there were like 8 other people in the whole theater.

aparisi2274

Despite having not seen it in theaters when I was younger, Jurassic Park defined a lot of my childhood. It still holds a soft spot in my heart, and I was overwhelmed with joy to finally see it in theaters.

Few things I noticed:

- They didn't fix the puppeteers hand pulling down the raptor tail, or the stage light seen in the T-rex break out. I'm fine with the fact they didn't, but I was sort-of surprised given that they could've done something with it.
- Noticed a few new lines they added, like Hammond saying, "Why oh why didn't I build in Orlando?" When the tropical storm was approaching.
- I might be crazy, but I swear the T-rex roars in the distance shortly after Muldoon and Ellie find Malcom got some sort of extension and echo that weren't there before.
- I hate 3D, but I was extremely surprised with how well they got it to work here.

Luckily, no one talked during my showing. Personal pet peeve of mine. I have no problem, especially when JP in on the line, of telling you to shut the fuck up. So Kudos to GraveHorizon for not being found dead the next morning.

That Orlando line has been in there since its original release...

lmao this post is terrible.

Everyone enjoyed the film that day, and nobody died. I think it went pretty well.
Spot on, bro. Especially the guy who told you to keep it down. It sounds like he was completely immersed in the film and not at all distracted by the two pre-teens in the audience making bad jokes.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Everyone enjoyed the film that day, and nobody died. I think it went pretty well.

If someone had to actually tell you to keep it down, I can confirm that you were being a total shitbrick, and hampering at least someone's enjoyment pretty solidly.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Spot on, bro. Especially the guy who told you to keep it down. It sounds like he was completely immersed in the film and not at all distracted by the two pre-teens in the audience making bad jokes.

Some of the effects were that good, like when a raptor popped onto the screen and I thought it was someone getting up in front of me. I really would recommend this movie to anyone that hasn't seen it, especially since it's such a well-done conversion. If only they took as much care to convert other films to 3D as they did with this one.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Lol, I fucking knew it.
Paramount did this same shit with the 3D combo pack for Top Gun, (whose original Blu release was about as shitty in its own way) and anything they do Universal does worse.

Ominym

Banned
Goddamn, you make it sound like we were doing this. And there were like 8 other people in the whole theater.

And I'm sure those eight people would've just loved to line up and pay $12 to hear your shitty RiffTrax knock-off.

Spoilers: When anyone pays money to see a movie? They're paying to see the movie. Not listen to 13 year olds try their hand at stand-up.

i looked into a little bit. its suspected to have take a T-Rex a little under 20 years to grow to full size.

wikipedia (not the best place to reference, sure) says that it would take a brachiosaurus about 10 years to grow to full size if it were endothermic. the movie talks about the raptors being endothermic though. so, maybe all the dinos are.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Have any screenshots of the upcoming remaster been officially released yet? I saw a random picture but it looked like it had too much DNR done to it. I would hope that we don't have another Predator on our hands.

giggas

Some of the effects were that good, like when a raptor popped onto the screen and I thought it was someone getting up in front of me. I really would recommend this movie to anyone that hasn't seen it, especially since it's such a well-done conversion. If only they took as much care to convert other films to 3D as they did with this one.

You've gone from ruining the movie for that audience to ruining this thread for this audience.

I saw this on Friday night and loved it all over again. Going into the show I told my wife that I wished I could erase my memories of seeing the movie so I could just be blown away all over again. I will say though, it's been a few years and I was just an engrossed as always. This movie is just an absolute classic. Having the chance to see this in theaters again almost felt like an honor.

Also, the 3D was awesome. Only other 3D movie I've seen is Avatar. It gave me a bad headache. Not sure if I've just adjusted to 3D since then by playing lots of 3DS, but I didn't have that problem at all with JP. My eyes did water really bad when I first put on the glasses but after a minute everything clicked.

I'm in total JP mode now. Listening to the soundtracks to JP and The Lost World (forget that John Williams-less 3rd movie score) and ordered the JP book off Amazon. Pumped for JP4 now, I don't care how it turns out, day one.

hirokazu

The picture was great when I saw it. When the opening titles came up it looked kinda crappy but then the first thing you notice after that is how amazing the transfer looked. Maybe you were too close or maybe you saw it at a crappy screen because what I saw was crystal clear and the 3D was acceptable.

Not sure of the actual science of course, but I'm reading the book and according to that the park and dinos were created in a span of five years. It is mentioned that dinosaurs naturally have a rapid growth rate. I'm actually surprised by how much background the book adds to the movie. It's fun to read about the park's planning stages.

strafer

Jim Carrey was considered for "Jurassic Park"
However, he impressed the "Jurassic Park" team with his audition for the role of Ian Malcolm, the mathematician and chaos theoretician so brilliantly portrayed by Jeff Goldblum.

"I read the book and I thought of Jeff Goldblum right away," Janet Hirshenon, the film's casting director, recalled. "There were several other people we taped for the part, though. Jim Carrey had come in and he was terrific, too, but I think pretty quickly we all loved the idea of Jeff."

strafer

You’re going to need some foam core, a few Jeeps and some black-tinted KY jelly. Such is the glamour of the filmmaking business. With Jurassic Park in theaters again, renowned special effects artist Shannon Shea joins us to talk about what it was like building dinosaurs and being on set for the Steven Spielberg picture.

He was also nice enough to share some very rare behind-the-scenes pictures (and a dramatic reading of a scripted scene that never made the film).

http://podcast.filmschoolrejects.com/post/47187870760/youre-going-to-need-some-foam-core-a-few-jeeps

elfinke

Cross posting myself from anther thread. I should have guessed there was an OT :)

I happened to find myself in a large city on its premiere so I went along for the ride (saw it IMAX 3d in Sydney).

The movie hasn't aged particularly well, though the tech has - the dinos still look really great. The actual film itself is too low res, too old I guess to stand up on an enormous screen where it just didn't look great, even with the 3d glasses removed.

The 3d ranged from abysmal to mildly offensive, with 2 obvious highlights (T-Rex in the rear view and the Raptor jumping at Lex in the air vent; both of those scenes were pretty good). But the rest of the movie suffered to varying degrees from the story book effect (2d elements interacting on a multi layered field, especially abhorrent whenever depth of field is utilised in the scene to bring an actor or an object into focus. Scenes that are all entirely in focus weren't nearly as bad) every 3d movie I've seen does. Add to that the loss of contrast, colour and overall I couldn't recommend it.

The IMAX screen is fucking huge though (probably exacerbating some of the whining I have above).

All that said, it sure was fun seeing JP on a big screen with big sound again!

Cafeman

Being very familiar with JP, I thought I noticed subtle upgrades while watching it. Confirmed.

It is worth noting there were also some minor artistic revisions in the feature. When the first loud thunder clap occurs near the ill triceratops, there is now a visual lightning flash to accompany it. Someone watching with me noted some production lights which were previously viewable in a reflection are now missing. It wouldn't surprise me if we find a few more minor tweaks here and there once this is available on home video.

Gary Rydstrom confirmed he has reworked/tweaked the soundtrack yet again, moving more material into the surrounds and changing some effects here and there.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/322743-jurassic-park-in-imax-3-d-bluray-version-out-soon/

EDIT - sorry, this is reported on the prior page of this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom