• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World |SPOILER THREAD| Lifting Up the Dinosaur's Skirts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blablurn

Kd2Q2q.gif

and the stuff that comes right after this scene haha

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I hated how they wanted to play off nostalgia from the visitors center of the old movie. It's such a common trope these days since Hollywood cannot stop revisiting old franchises. The movie did nothing to earn that scene and it annoyed the hell at me. Also, they completely failed at trying to match/nod to the originals take on having a main character that was not good with kids. In the first movie, Dr. Grant's character lived through hell with the kids and he eventually came around on them. It culminated in a beautiful and touching scene when they were sleeping in the tree. This movie had none of the buildup or payoff.

I agree with this and coming out of the theatre, this was what most annoyed me. It's a nostalgia and throwback-fest, but in the easiest and laziest way possible. Like how they discovered the opening hall of the original: 'here's the night vision goggles, the jeeps, the paintings! Remember the first movie?'

MajorMane

I agree with this and coming out of the theatre, this was what most annoyed me. It's a nostalgia and throwback-fest, but in the easiest and laziest way possible. Like how they discovered the opening hall of the original: 'here's the night vision goggles, the jeeps, the paintings! Remember the first movie?'

See, to me, that was the perfect amount of nostalgia in the movie. They used the nostalgia from the first film to help propel their own film forward onto its own feet. They could have easily rehashed the entire visitor center scenes from the first movie in this film (raptors in the kitchen, T-Rex in the lobby) but replaced it with different dinosaurs from this film like the I-Rex. To me, that'd be way too much and the film would feel like it's trying to be like the original when it's not. Instead, they use the visitor center in a short fashion to help the characters move forward.

Sort of like how the older kid uses the old banner/dinosaur bone to make a makeshift torch? The nostalgia is the materials and the movie uses it in ways that helps tell its own story.

ALM5252

I interpreted that moment more as, "what's this old building, why does it say Jurassic Park, and why is it so old, etc". Yeah it's a nod to us and the first movie, but in the context of the movie, Jurassic Park was something the general public did not know about. Im sure some people read those books by Grant and Malcom, but I'd assume a lot of people don't know about thr original incident.

Dunno, that's just what I got from that part.

ezekial45

Banned
The only thing that took me out of the movie was the death of the assistant. It definitely felt a bit cruel, and that sort of death felt like it should've been for a bad guy.

The only thing that took me out of the movie was the death of the assistant. It definitely felt a bit cruel, and that sort of death felt like it should've been for a bad guy.
I'm talking about that now with someone in the regular thread. I didn't like it. I said it was the same as Eddie dying in The Lost World. The nice person getting the T Rex "Lady and the Tramp" treatment was awful for me.

Doran902

Loved it, loved all of the stupid references, even the girl saying the chilean sea bass is the best seller or w/e over the intercom. Just take the nostalgia, the cgi and the fan service and hook it to my veins.

I felt bad for the CEO, I liked that guy. My little brother was disturbed by how the british girl died. Definitely less kid friendly than I would have thought but it made it a better movie imo.

Seeing Jimmy Fallon as the video tutorial guy, spared no expense haha.

Blablurn

i loved the nostalgia in this movie. JP2 and 3 didnt ride that one too hard.

someone in the OT complained about the JP1 night vision goggles in Jurassic World. As if we have seen them in all the other movies already lol

But since we havent seem them since 1 I absolutely enjoyed lil stuff like this.

MajorMane

I felt bad for the CEO, I liked that guy. My little brother was disturbed by how the british girl died. Definitely less kid friendly than I would have thought but it made it a better movie imo.

I really enjoyed the CEO as well. He was a good John Hammond-esque character who cared more about people having fun at the park than turning a profit. I had hoped that he would make it through the helicopter crash somehow (before I saw the explosion). That whole helicopter pilot string of plot development wasn't that good, unfortunately.

As for the assistant, the minute she hit the water, I remembered the commercial with the Mosa eating the Ptero and thought, "No, no way that they kill her off that way..." but they did and I actually cringed in the theater. Only death that did that for me.

Speaking of the Mosa, while I enjoyed its hand in taking out the I-Rex, did the movie ever explain how exactly it would have been able to even jump up on the land to grab the I-Rex, even if it were so close? It doesn't make sense to me why the Mosa would suddenly attack to eat the I-Rex and not do that before when there were thousands of people probably leaning up against that guardrail. As far as I can remember, there was never anything shown about it's paddock being opened or destroyed or whatever.

I'm talking about that now with someone in the regular thread. I didn't like it. I said it was the same as Eddie dying in The Lost World. The nice person getting the T Rex "Lady and the Tramp" treatment was awful for me.

I feel the exact opposite. Too many of these monster movies make the "good guys" safe from harm or when they die, they die heroically and relatively "clean".

This movie was like "There's dinosaurs running amok and they're just conveniently avoiding the good guys? Fuck that noise."

I really enjoyed the CEO as well. He was a good John Hammond-esque character who cared more about people having fun at the park than turning a profit. I had hoped that he would make it through the helicopter crash somehow (before I saw the explosion). That whole helicopter pilot string of plot development wasn't that good, unfortunately.

Out of all the poorly developed characters (which is almost all of them), I really liked him. I loved his ethos and the way he treated the park. I even liked and believed his, "No, we're not going to lock everything down and evacuate--we prepared for this eventuality" explanation, which basically allowed the movie to happen. He had no idea of the extent of the I-Rex's abilities.

SoldnerKei

yep the mosasaur scene was the most memorable death in the whole movie, most people didn't see that coming at the cineme because I hear some "oh shit" on behind me xD

I really liked the movie, it's a fun movie, with dumb plot, but I liked anyway

they cut off one of the scene from the tv spot where claire and owen are covering their body with dino crap(at least that's what I think it is lol) thou, I was really looking forward to that scene haha

Don't know why people are so upset about Zara's death. Did she deserve it? Probably not (we don't really get to know her anyway) but so what, lots of people die everyday who don't really deserve to die.

Don't know why people are so upset about Zara's death. Did she deserve it? Probably not (we don't really get to know her anyway) but so what, lots of people die everyday who don't really deserve to die.

EXACTLY.

Thank you.

This reminds me of people complaining about the death's in MoS.

Don't complain about Hollywood being cliche and predictable, and when something goes against the grain complain that it's not what you want.

"Give me my fantasy back!"

Blablurn

you gotta love some people in the OT.

"Jurassic World is a movie that is based on a check list of stuff that needs to be in a movie"

suddenly a surprise and awesome death happens

"HOW DARE THEY??? HOW CAN THEY GO OVERBOARD LIKE THIS?"

Toa TAK

Banned
EXACTLY.

Thank you.

This reminds me of people complaining about the death's in MoS.

Don't complain about Hollywood being cliche and predictable, and when something goes against the grain complain that it's not what you want.

"Give me my fantasy back!"

I don't think it's anything like the deaths in MOS. In MOS you don't spend a good 30 seconds watching the individuals get tortured and then go down, it's just assumed or implied for everyone else as 9/11 x 1000 is happening everywhere (for the most part, I know you see one dude get lifted and crushed in one part).

It comes off as really cruel and has nothing to do with cliches or predictability. It's ultimately unnecessary. If anything she should've been dropped and eaten by the Mosasaurus as it also nabs the Pteranadon. I can definitely see why people have an issue with this, as there were people making comments in my theater when I went.

I think it was just a really bad Jaws reference, maybe?

Really kill happy movie, right? Only one dinosaur was killed by a human in the past 3 movies, in that stupid-ass scene with the gymnast knocks a raptor out the window and impales him through a pole. They used to have a ethical debate woven into the action of the movie, about the sanctity and respect for life. Julianne Moore tranquilizes a T.Rex before marines blow it away. Now that shit just goes out the window for PG-13 "Aliens" and pre-viz modern blockbuster checklist action.

Kinsei

Banned

Really kill happy movie, right? Only one dinosaur was killed by a human in the past 3 movies, in that stupid-ass scene with the gymnast knocks a raptor out the window and impales him through a pole. They used to have a ethical debate woven into the action of the movie, about the sanctity and respect for life. Julianne Moore tranquilizes a T.Rex before marines blow it away. Now that shit just goes out the window for PG-13 "Aliens" and pre-viz modern blockbuster checklist action.

The only ones that kill dinos when they're not in immediate danger are the villains

border

I'm pretty sure we're not supposed to be pumping our fists and shouting "Fuck yeah!" when that soldier shoots a pteradon beside the helicopter. The arrival of army goons is supposed to be something bad and worrisome. I don't know how you could get an Aliens vibe from that.

You're giving waaay too much credit to the other movies. Jurassic Park is the only one that could be said to have some kind of ethical debate at its core--even then, it was more like an interesting backdrop rather than the heart and soul of the movie.

MajorMane

I really like Jimmy Fallon...but his part should have been played by Jeff Goldblum.

Eh, as much as it would have been nice to see the older characters return in any capacity, this doesn't really fit his character, I think. He never really supported Hammond's dream and in TLW, he's been trying to let people know what really happened, hasn't he? So why would he turn around and suddenly be okay enough with the park that he decides to endorse it via safety demonstrations?

Eh, as much as it would have been nice to see the older characters return in any capacity, this doesn't really fit his character, I think. He never really supported Hammond's dream and in TLW, he's been trying to let people know what really happened, hasn't he? So why would he turn around and suddenly be okay enough with the park that he decides to endorse it via safety demonstrations?
I figured the whole movie was already ridiculous so why not?

According to the JW Mosasaurus page Jurassic World park capacity is at 17 percent:

http://www.jurassicworld.com/park-map/mosasaurus-feeding-show/

I wouldn't be surprised if the park was kept open in the sequel and Masrani / InGen settle lawsuits. Whenever any accident happens at any major theme park (i.e. trainers killed at SeaWorld), the park issues a statement and consumers move on.

I think it would be interesting if there was a portion of the park underground that we were never shown where new backstory and action sequences could take place. Also, part of the story could take place when the park is closed for the season, or is in the process of rebuilding due to consumer demand.

Is it actually from Stan Winston's school? I couldn't believe it so I searched and it seems to come from Deviantart?

No, it's for a Stan Winston School contest. From that FB profile (translated):

Come on, just before the release of the film, a small drawing Jurassic World for the contest Stan Winston School just before the movie, here is my entry for the Stan Winston School of Character Arts contest

If the Stan Winston School had come up with that, I'm sure we'd hear about it.

Blablurn

According to the JW Mosasaurus page Jurassic World park capacity is at 17 percent:

http://www.jurassicworld.com/park-map/mosasaurus-feeding-show/

I wouldn't be surprised if the park was kept open in the sequel and Masrani / InGen settle lawsuits. Whenever any accident happens at any major theme park (i.e. trainers killed at SeaWorld), the park issues a statement and consumers move on.

I think it would be interesting if there was a portion of the park underground that we were never shown where new backstory and action sequences could take place. Also, part of the story could take place when the park is closed for the season, or is in the process of rebuilding due to consumer demand.

They got lucky that the crowd didnt see the Indominus Rex running around and killing everyone.

They can blame the escape of the flying dinos on a malfunction at the door or something.

See, to me, that was the perfect amount of nostalgia in the movie. They used the nostalgia from the first film to help propel their own film forward onto its own feet. They could have easily rehashed the entire visitor center scenes from the first movie in this film (raptors in the kitchen, T-Rex in the lobby) but replaced it with different dinosaurs from this film like the I-Rex. To me, that'd be way too much and the film would feel like it's trying to be like the original when it's not. Instead, they use the visitor center in a short fashion to help the characters move forward.

Sort of like how the older kid uses the old banner/dinosaur bone to make a makeshift torch? The nostalgia is the materials and the movie uses it in ways that helps tell its own story.

Don't they kind of do that? When the older brother asks little bro if he remembers fixing up Grandpa's Malibu, I turned to my friend and said "It's a UNIX system! I know this!", like I have any reason to believe these 2 kids have a clue how to get a jeep idle for 20 years running because they saw a guy work on a car once.

Here are some of my questions after seeing it:
*Where did the tourists go? It seemed there were boats coming (maybe they had arrived?) but in about 30 minutes, 20,000 people were just gone.
*Who thought it was a good idea to cross breed the two most dangerous animals on the island? I get it, "scarier" but holy shit really?
*Why are they terrible geneticists? Yo we wanted this one cool gene cuttlefish have, oops we accidentally got 5 others that are actually super useful to a dangerous predator, man we should have seen that one coming eh? Lolz.
*How did the little bro fail to see the acres of enormous animals about 10 degrees to his right until it was pointed out to him?
*Why, when she is instructed to take off her shoes, does Claire roll up her sleeves (as if she is actually stupid and doesn't understand language), leave the shoes on and continues through the movie like that?
*Why did the I-Rex kill the brontos and just leave the carcasses? Owen says it's killing for sport, but like...do raptors or T-rexes do that? Isn't that a human thing? Was it also crossbred with people?
*Do none of these animals eat, ever? I don't understand why they all went straight for the largest human concentrations, especially the flying ones. Why not fly away?
*And finally, how big was Hoskins' erection when he was surveying the carnage from the hill? I swear there is a deleted scene of him masturbating.

Don't they kind of do that? When the older brother asks little bro if he remembers fixing up Grandpa's Malibu, I turned to my friend and said "It's a UNIX system! I know this!", like I have any reason to believe these 2 kids have a clue how to get a jeep idle for 20 years running because they saw a guy work on a car once.

Here are some of my questions after seeing it:
*Where did the tourists go? It seemed there were boats coming (maybe they had arrived?) but in about 30 minutes, 20,000 people were just gone.
*Who thought it was a good idea to cross breed the two most dangerous animals on the island? I get it, "scarier" but holy shit really?
*Why are they terrible geneticists? Yo we wanted this one cool gene cuttlefish have, oops we accidentally got 5 others that are actually super useful to a dangerous predator, man we should have seen that one coming eh? Lolz.
*How did the little bro fail to see the acres of enormous animals about 10 degrees to his right until it was pointed out to him?
*Why, when she is instructed to take off her shoes, does Claire roll up her sleeves (as if she is actually stupid and doesn't understand language), leave the shoes on and continues through the movie like that?
*Why did the I-Rex kill the brontos and just leave the carcasses? Owen says it's killing for sport, but like...do raptors or T-rexes do that? Isn't that a human thing? Was it also crossbred with people?
*Do none of these animals eat, ever? I don't understand why they all went straight for the largest human concentrations, especially the flying ones. Why not fly away?
*And finally, how big was Hoskins' erection when he was surveying the carnage from the hill? I swear there is a deleted scene of him masturbating.

Don't know where the tourists went. There was obviously a refugee-type area set up, though.
The concealing of the DNA was pretty nonsensical, I agree. I loved the payoff with the raptors, though.
Pretty sure the gyrosphere was just starting to enter the area where all the animals were hanging out--they weren't stationary.
That was actually Bryce Dallas Howard's choice. Trevorrow wanted to get her into better shoes for the jungle but she thought her character should do it in heels the whole time. Trevorrow definitely could have overridden that decision, of course.
I thought the I-Rex's nature was pretty clearly explained: it was a dangerous, volatile create that had never interacted with ANY other animals. It had a terrifying sense of curiosity and desire to understand where it fit in the world/"food chain".
Yeah, the pterosaurs heading straight for humans was forced. Felt more like a horror/monster movie than anything else.
Hoskins was ridiculously over-the-top.

The I-rex was supposed to be a weapon, not just a new attraction for the park.

Obnoxiously long review warning

I'll be honest, y'all: when I got out of the theatre, I was pretty down on this movie. The writing was worse than I thought it would have been, the characters didn't connect with me, and the script, overall, was not good.

Having slept on it, however, I feel better about it--mostly because I can't stop thinking about the action sequences. This isn't anywhere close to Fury Road, where I felt compelled to go see it again and again, but this is the first time in a long time we have had solid, quality dinosaur action.

The acting was not great, but I think most did as well as they could with the mostly horrible dialogue. A lot of the script was bad. Like, a lot. It’s shocking at some points, but different from the badness of TLW and JP3—it’s a “I'm still a young director and learning” bad. Which might be why we have stuff like an utterly INSANE and wonderful raptor chase sequence punctuated with a bad joke from a kid.

Thank god for Jake Johnson. His character was one of the few who struck the perfect character tone and had consistently good writing. His friendzone moment was probably the biggest laugh of the movie, but I liked his character, even if he literally spat out his ethos. Like Malcolm turned to 11.

Actually, that’s all the characters: simple archetypes with a defined worldview. Hoskins is the evil but practical warmonger, frothing at the mouth over weaponized dinos. Claire is a businesswoman above all other things, cold, closed off, with a hackneyed "strong woman" turn. Owen is LITERALLY the alpha and acts like it, for better or worse. Sometimes he worked, other times he didn’t via a mix of bad writing and just really weird delivery. This feels like it was Pratt’s first big-time role, given how much he stumbles. Hard to think that LEGO Movie and Guardians of the Galaxy were made before this.

BDH/Claire wasn't awful, but fit so much into the "stiff uptight woman chills out and becomes cool" archetype and I didn't care for that. I think she gets better as the movie goes on, though--at least her turn into "badass aunt" got her out of that horrible "coldass businesswoman" thing.

I really liked Masrani. The way he viewed the park and the dinosaurs fit perfectly with Hammond--I was surprised we didn't get the typical stodgy CEO kinda personality. It's a shame he's wasted :(

The kids had moments that were CLOSE to touching, but were mostly just “there”. Their relationship is made up of talking points ("our parents are getting a divorce") and forced moments ("nothing will ever happen to you"). I don't think they were annoying, they just weren't interesting.

The tone of the script--all over the place. Weird mix of brutal horror and (mostly bad) jokes. I laughed at least twice when characters started crying, because it just seemed so random or unearned (mom crying because the sister wasn't with the kids, and Simpkins crying over the divorce). Same with Pratt--very weird tone to his jokes, his character, everything. He was at his best when he focused on the animals and you could see that passion and cocern. Just leave that horrible "past relationship" stuff out of the script.

I guess this is most important: the dinosaur sequences were fantastic. Trevorrow doesn’t have Spielberg’s eye, nor his sense of pacing or patience, but he has his own style and it worked really well for a first time "blockbuster" director (shockingly well, in fact). I loved how concealed he kept the I-Rex through much of the movie. His choice to use a lower, human-level perspective worked great.

The I-Rex escape can't compare to the T-Rex, but I still enjoyed it. Seeing the I-Rex just pick up a jeep quickly reinforced that this dude isn’t fucking around. Owen's little touch of masking his scent with the gasoline was great! It was smart, worked for the story, and established how quick-witted he was (too bad there isn’t more of it--there's also inexplicably a scene later where the I-Rex’s nostril is right next to Owen and Claire, yet it doesn’t smell them).

Dat camouflage scene. Again, love the use of the lower perspective to conceal the I-Rex. Watching him tear apart the ACU, coupled with the dead tones of their (now stopped) hearts, was fantastic. Huge point of disappointment: why oh why was the camouflage never used again? That was a moment of terror. We saw it change color a few times, but they could have MILKED that ability. An entire sequence could be built around that! Why do we not have that???

The ankylosaur scene was good but another point where I thought that a more experienced director could have done a better job. They had an opportunity to use that “quiet moment in a stopped vehicle” to really build a better sense of suspense. The “five” moment was good, but just felt a little undeserved. Otherwise, again, a great sequence. The gyrosphere getting caught in the middle, the I-Rex learning how to exploit the anky’s weak spot, the PHONE vibrating (loved this), and the I-Rex’s “curiosity” over the gyrosphere—all really great. Seemed extremely weird that the kids got such a headstart on the I-Rex when they ran, though.

The aviary sequence was okay. I felt it was shot and edited a little weird—just the way it showed the I-Rex burst in, then a cut to him immediately stopped and roaring at the pterosaurs. It also went straight for “evil dinos” mode in this sequence. There were some pulpy but fun deaths (being stabbed through the chopper glass—holy shit), too.

Raptor Squad scene was ace--loved everything about it. The image of the I-Rex lumbering out of the jungle to meet and greet the four raptors, watching them "talk", then realizing the I-Rex is making raptor sounds but in a different tone, right as Owen is realizing it--absolutely loved it. "Raptors have a new alpha". I wish this sequence had gone on longer, actually. Raptors stalking and killing in a dark jungle=so good. Felt really bad for the raptor (Charlie?) that got Muldoon'ed.

The ending: what a horribly dumb and spectacularly awesome finale. I hated the kids movie "we need more teeth" line, but I loved Claire realizing what she "has" to do. I know the Rex was literally tag-teamed into the fight (it was also staged very strangely--like, Claire was luck the Rex didn't fucking DEVOUR her, she let it get so close). The slow-mo raptor shot was SO ridiculous, but SO fun, and...that kaiju fight. The raptor parkour! I don't know how I feel about the mosasaur being the one to end it, but it makes sense, given how powerful the I-Rex was. God, it's so weird to enjoy such a cheesy and fanservicey part of the movie, I am not even sure that it was GOOD. I mean, I think it was shot and staged very well, but the premise was absurd. Is this what it's like to watch MCU movies as a huge Marvel fan?

The CG, like Age of Ultron (ILM too, right?), was mixed. For the most part, I thought it looked fantastic. I don't think the I-Rex ever looked bad--she was clearly priority #1 and it showed. Spectacular animation, model, design--everything looked great. Raptors were the next best and mostly looked really good. I think there were a few night shots where they didn't look too hot, as well as when Blue killed Hoskins. Some of the compositing when Owen is riding with the raptors looked bad.

I gotta say, I loved the Indominus Rex. The design ended up looking fantastic on-screen, and the closeups of its head looked great—I really liked the design of the eye. Something about it really did seem curious. I also really liked the “trying to figure out its place in the food chain” aspect, as it made it seem less a serial killer and more a damaged animal. Was kinda sad to see her go, tbh.

I really liked the raptors. Blue is really the only one we got a clear sense of personality for, but seeing them work together and act like actual animals was a lot of fun. I loved how the one (Delta?) reacted as he got closer, breathing faster, becoming more aggressive. They were animated extremely well, too. What was up with that dog growl they were doing, though? They used it a few times. It felt lazy, to be honest. Regardless, I felt each raptor death more than I felt any human one, haha (except maybe Masrani, which was just kinda sad).

What the hell was up with this movie, theme-wise? There is this weird "HAVE A FAMILY! HAVE KIDS! GET A BOYFRIEND" kick to it that felt absurd. I think what they were maybe trying to go for is the importance of having a "pack" of your own, but it came off as very "aww, look at this poor businesswoman! She has no kids or boyfriend to love her!" I mean, "not if--WHEN--you have kids". What the hell is this doing here? Same for the kids with their shoehorned bonding storyline. When Greer's character started crying, honestly, I laughed a little--it seemed so hammy. But then she explained that the older bro treats the younger so mean sometimes, I thought we could get something interesting. I mean, Simpkins character seemed to have some kind of affliction (Asperger's?), so I thought we could maybe get an interesting twist on the "mean older brother" trope...but the older brother isn't even that mean to him! It was just a weird relationship.

Can I recommend it? Yes. As summer blockbusters go, I hate the "leave your brain at the door" mentality. I think it can be detrimental to filmmaking and the industry--these blockbusters CAN be smart, which is why its so disappointing that this movie, with a solid premise and really good action, isn't. It is a fun time as long as you don't think too much about it. I think Jurassic Park fans will enjoy it, because it feels like it respects the dinosaurs as animals, even the monstrous I-Rex. Thinking of Jurassic Park 3, I know that Jurassic World isn't enjoyable just because it has dinosaurs in it. The dinosaur sequences are better than anything in JP3, and I'd argue TLW, as well (man, I've really soured on that movie). Whereas TLW fell on its face because it felt like it was someone trying to be clever, smart, and funny in its script, JW's script fails because it's undercooked.

Mostly, though, I was impressed with the clarity, framing, staging, and editing of the action. For a first-time action director, Trevorrow was fantastic.

For me: JP>JW>TLW=JP3

Caode

Just got back from it.

I had very low expectations based on my reactions to all the trailers that have been released, I wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I did. I really enjoyed it, just a solid, entertaining and all around fun film.

Less Jimmy Fallon next time though.

Hagi

Just got out of the cinema and the movIe was pretty awesome. Loved that Jeff goldblum Easter egg at the start. :D

I.Rex was a legitimately threatening antagonist which really caught me off guard because I was expecting it to be as dumb as the spino from 3.

The Ingen bullshit is probably the biggest negative I have towards the film. They really should have cut the military application stuff out and if that's the way they are taking the sequels I'm more than wary moving forward

Eiolon

I really liked the movie. When I get passed the nostalgia and the impact on film the first movie had for me, I think this is an overall better film. I was worried about the dialogue in this film from the trailers and it didn't seem as bad. Excellent pacing and lots of dinosaurs compared to the first film. I really felt like the park was real.

The only thing I really didn't care for is how absurd it was that Owen was essentially an alpha to the raptors and how the T-Rex and Raptor kind of had a mutual parting of ways at the end.

Calcium

Banned
Can someone help me out? What did Masrani say before getting into the armed helicopter? I could understand most of what he said, but that line just completely lost me.

I enjoy the cheesy INGEN/military stuff. Weird conspiracies about doing unspeakable things with the dinosaurs has always been important to me in Jurassic Park stories. We never really knew what they were going to do with the embryos Nedry smuggled for example. Could have been money but I think it was always something nefarious, even mad-villainous. It didn't feel like it didn't belong. The first movie had it, the second was about it, the third made allusions to it. It's a logical way to keep conflict between human characters.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
With the military being the big thing that bothers people, I really didn't see a problem with it. It's not what people wanted but realistically, I could see something like that happen. Military plays around with all sort of science advancements, so why not utilize these dinosaur-things too?

I didn't mind that plotline, in concept--it was just executed too on-the-nose and evil.

Actually, I'll back away from that JUST a tad: there was one moment when Hoskins actually made a reasonable point about how many innocent lives using the raptors could save.

If they DO go with the "military weapon" storyline, I hope they focus pay services to the ethical issues associated with it. Wouldn't be the first time we've used trained animals in military situations (anti-tank dogs)

I could see a sort of selective breeding occur where they specifically try to breed out the more aggressive raptors, kinda like what we did with wolves->dogs. It's particularly feasible, given that growth-acceleration is already a part of JP lore.

Calcium

Banned
I didn't mind that plotline, in concept--it was just executed too on-the-nose and evil.

This. I hated that plotline and Hoskins being a moronic cartoon villain was a big reason why. Anyone with half a brain could see that Owen barely had "control" of the raptors and this moron is just licking his chops to set them free. It's a pretty big jump for Hoskins to see what Owen had and assume they'd even remotely work in military situations. The whole thing just felt forced.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I'm not concerned about the military in this but I am at what direction they'll take it in the future

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not concerned about the military in this but I am at what direction they'll take it in the future

I will admit that this is a concern of mine. The park itself is finished. Now what? Kind of wish they would leave it as is. Have us use our imagination to guess the fate of the eggs and fate of the park (with poor Mosy floating on top of the water dead, cause she couldn't get another meal >_>)

Hagi

I just thought the whole thing was poorly implemented and far too on the nose. It's not enough that they were dumb enough to create their own dinosaurs it had to be some dumb military conspiracy between the OG scientist and Law and Order Dino Creep. It was the only thing that bugged me throughout the film. Well that and the Raptor randomly getting blown up by an RPG.

border

Actually, I'll back away from that JUST a tad: there was one moment when Hoskins actually made a reasonable point about how many innocent lives using the raptors could save.

We can't help but kill innocent people with the weapons we have 100% control over. How many civilians are these raptors going to eat if we parachute them in to Syria or Afghanistan?

The military subplot was one of the most stupid elements of the film. It might have worked if they had demonstrated some kind of actual control over the raptors. But all Pratt's character does is wave his hands at them and nervously stare them down and they decide not to slash his throat open. The conclusion that they are now ready to search and destroy military targets is ridiculous.

I mean shady mystery man with shades giving money under the table to implied poor fat guy to smuggle out embryos along with corny music is pretty cheesy and on the nose too... all I'm saying is that it didn't feel out of place to me. I didn't think it was "evil" just shady. They thought they'd be using the raptors for good means but it was too early and they were exploited at the wrong time; Hoskins just saw it as an opportunity.

We can't help but kill innocent people with the weapons we have 100% control over. How many civilians are these raptors going to eat if we parachute them in to Syria or Afghanistan?

It's a terrible idea no matter how you try to justify it to be honest. I mean, I can't even put into words just how much it would backfire

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I mean shady mystery man with shades giving money under the table to implied poor fat guy to smuggle out embryos along with corny music is pretty cheesy and on the nose too... all I'm saying is that it didn't feel out of place to me. I didn't think it was "evil" just shady. They thought they'd be using the raptors for good means but it was too early and they were exploited at the wrong time; Hoskins just saw it as an opportunity.

I think this is a good way of looking at things. Heck Nedry even made fun of it by pointing him out :p

My post you quoted was directly in reference to the situation on the island: IF the raptors could help take out the I-Rex and save lives, I can see that as a compelling reason to use them.

That's a big IF and they clearly weren't ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom