• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World |SPOILER THREAD| Lifting Up the Dinosaur's Skirts

Status
Not open for further replies.

antonz

How the hell was inGen able to take control when Masrani was the owner? Or was he just CEO of inGen?

Hoskins is the head of Security for Jurassic World and the Head of InGen Security. Once Masrani bit it would assume chain of command in a crisis would likely lead to him in charge especially since with his weasel ways he ran to the board of directors to usurp power.

Masrani was another Hammond in the sense he was blinded by his vision. Hoskin makes the comment to Owen about militarization and how Masrani has so much money invested all over the place he does not even know what he is funding or owns.
Wu and Hoskins are basically doing all kinds of sneaky shit behind the scenes with Masrani funding it all unaware

But, a raptor and a T Rex team up to take down the big baddie, and then don't turn on each other in the end? They might have well had the raptor walk to up Chris Pratt and give him a kiss before riding into the moonlight. And, for the record (which you can use to discredit all of my opinions), I do not dislike the T Rex in LA ending of JP2; I feel the JP2 is bad and has far worse moments in it than that ending people seem to loathe.

Seriously, though: why would the raptor and the rex fight each other? What would possibly motivate them to? They're not natural enemies or anything like that. They're just two predators, and there is no reason for them to fight.

Calcium

Banned
And, a little grossed out that people were eating giant bags of popcorn so early.

Off topic, but I saw some behavior in my theater that I've never seen before. A family snuck a giant plastic bag in and emptied the tub of popcorn into it and went back for refills. They must have done this 5-6 times before the movie started. It was ridiculous.

Seriously, though: why would the raptor and the rex fight each other? What would possibly motivate them to? They're not natural enemies or anything like that. They're just two predators, and there is no reason for them to fight.

I disagree with this because it is kind of stepping on the ending of the first movie. The two would absolutely fight, but given that they both just got knocked around by Indominus they decided against it.

Hoskins is the head of Security for Jurassic World and the Head of InGen Security. Once Masrani bit it would assume chain of command in a crisis would likely lead to him in charge especially since with his weasel ways he ran to the board of directors to usurp power.

Masrani was another Hammond in the sense he was blinded by his vision. Hoskin makes the comment to Owen about militarization and how Masrani has so much money invested all over the place he does not even know what he is funding or owns.
Wu and Hoskins are basically doing all kinds of sneaky shit behind the scenes with Masrani funding it all unaware

Why did Wu not tell Masrani what the I-Rex was made of? I thought he was the CEO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTWo9oLJOWk

Masrani wouldn't have agreed with the level of genetic manipulation Wu was achieving. Better to keep it a secret so he could have his fun (plus whatever deal he had with Hoskins).

Masrani specifically asked him and Wu said something like "I'm not allowed to tell you". Seemed strange since Masrani owns everything.

Also - Hoskins was clearly consulting with Wu - did he know that the I-Rex was part raptor? It's never really made clear. If he does know that then it makes his plan to send the Raptors against it even dumber.

I disagree with this because it is kind of stepping on the ending of the first movie. The two would absolutely fight, but given that they both just got knocked around by Indominus they decided against it.

I don't know if using the deus ex machina from Jurassic Park is a good way to establish their relationship, though. As awesome as that sequence is, it's been widely criticized for how out of the blue it is.

I think TLW is a better example, maybe. Raptors and Rex naturally stay in completely separate parts of the island because they don't want to compete with each other. They're not at war.

Regardless, I just don't see any reason why two beaten-down, injured predators would want to fight. To me, that would feel contrived.

antonz

Why did Wu not tell Masrani what the I-Rex was made of? I thought he was the CEO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTWo9oLJOWk

It seems based on Hoskins monologue at the end that Wu and Him made the Indominus solely for Military application. The Park was a good cover for their Test Subject. Masrani was Hammond 2.0 in the sense he was in it for the awe and inspiring nature of the Dinosaurs. Everything Wu and Hoskins was doing would never have been approved.

Hoskins has a big smile on his face while the Indominus is out wrecking havoc. So one could begin to assume that perhaps this all going down plays directly into a plan he had. He very likely has some very interested buyers into militarized Dinosaurs. I mean even Wu at the end is getting concerned as he's put into a Helicopter wondering what's going on and is their deal still in tact.

Calcium

Banned
Masrani specifically asked him and Wu said something like "I'm not allowed to tell you". Seemed strange since Masrani owns everything.

Also - Hoskins was clearly consulting with Wu - did he know that the I-Rex was part raptor? It's never really made clear. If he does know that then it makes his plan to send the Raptors against it even dumber.

Not sure why he'd say he wasn't allowed to tell Masrani. As for Hoskins knowing about the raptor DNA in the Indominus I'd say that is a certainty. He had a whole spiel about the Indominus right before one of the raptors was kind enough to remove him.

jond76

Banned
Yep, seemed cruel for some reason. Having her tortured and torn apart by half a dozen different beasts and maybe 3 different species...it was over the top.

I told my wife that she probably didn't even die right away, given she wasn't directly bitten by the mosasaur(sp). She definitely got a raw deal. Haha

It seems based on Hoskins monologue at the end that Wu and Him made the Indominus solely for Military application. The Park was a good cover for their Test Subject. Masrani was Hammond 2.0 in the sense he was in it for the awe and inspiring nature of the Dinosaurs. Everything Wu and Hoskins was doing would never have been approved.

Hoskins has a big smile on his face while the Indominus is out wrecking havoc. So one could begin to assume that perhaps this all going down plays directly into a plan he had. He very likely has some very interested buyers into militarized Dinosaurs. I mean even Wu at the end is getting concerned as he's put into a Helicopter wondering what's going on and is their deal still in tact.

I don't think it's fair to assume the wrecking of the park was part of some intricate grand-scheme plan, but rather him just seeing an opportunity and seizing upon it. Honestly, the movie spells out everything in such obvious ways that if they didn't explicitly have him say he planned it all from the beginning, there's no reason to suspect it. He simply saw the chaos, the opportunity, and took it.

I don't know if using the deus ex machina from Jurassic Park is a good way to establish their relationship, though. As awesome as that sequence is, it's been widely criticized for how out of the blue it is.

I think TLW is a better example, maybe. Raptors and Rex naturally stay in completely separate parts of the island because they don't want to compete with each other. They're not at war.

Regardless, I just don't see any reason why two beaten-down, injured predators would want to fight. To me, that would feel contrived.

I think you need to stay within the already established bounds of the films if you're going to critique the already silly scene of dinosaurs, brought back to life by man, fighting one another. Sure, they might want to stay separated a la TLW (I'll take your word on this since I haven't seen that movie in well over a decade) but we know explicitly that when mixed, they fight and fight to the death. Nevertheless, its a tiny detail in a mess of a scene anyway.

Not sure why he'd say he wasn't allowed to tell Masrani. As for Hoskins knowing about the raptor DNA in the Indominus I'd say that is a certainty. He had a whole spiel about the Indominus right before one of the raptors was kind enough to remove him.

I thought it was copyright, trade secrets, or legal liability that was preventing him from telling about the DNA cocktail because he sure acted as if he "couldn't" say, rather than simply not "wanting" to say.

And, maybe Hoskins thought once Owen discovered Indominous was part raptor, he would be able to tame it and ride on its back to Iran to kill ISIS or something.

Calcium

Banned
Another thing that really bothered me was several instances of characters not seeing something right in front of them until the camera sees it. The two that stuck out were the kids in the Gyrosphere asking "Where are all the dinosaurs?" then the camera turns to show them in an open plain with like a dozen dinosaurs around them. Then the two guards (gate guards the kids drove to in the old jeep) that didn't see all the flying dinosaurs coming toward them until the camera panned up. You didn't see those? Really?

Another thing that really bothered me was several instances of characters not seeing something right in front of them until the camera sees it. The two that stuck out were the kids in the Gyrosphere asking "Where are all the dinosaurs?" then the camera turns to show them in an open plain with like a dozen dinosaurs around them.

I don't understand the confusion over this scene. It didn't seem like the dinos were all around them--felt more like they rounded a corner into an area where they were all grazing. Pretty sure the gyrosphere was moving that whole time.

Calcium

Banned
I don't understand the confusion over this scene. It didn't seem like the dinos were all around them--felt more like they rounded a corner into an area where they were all grazing. Pretty sure the gyrosphere was moving that whole time.

They were in an open field. There is no way they didn't see the dinosaurs in the distance. In order for the dialogue to make sense they would have had to turn a corner or something.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Chris Pratt is incredibly charismatic. That's basically undeniable. He's charming in Parks and Rec, he's charming in Guardians of the Galaxy, he's charming in The Lego Movie, and there's every indication that he's charming in real life. So what happened here? Was the the dialogue or the directing or the editing? How did they make him so awkward and stilted?

Eh, anyway. It was about what I was expecting. Not amazing, not enough wonder. But it was fine. Cool ending. Some people are acting like the movie kicked their dog.

Calcium

Banned
Chris Pratt is incredibly charismatic. That's basically undeniable. He's charming in Parks and Rec, he's charming in Guardians of the Galaxy, he's charming in The Lego Movie, and there's every indication that he's charming in real life. So what happened here? Was the the dialogue or the directing or the editing? How did they make him so awkward and stilted?

Eh, anyway. It was about what I was expecting. Not amazing, not enough wonder. But it was fine. Cool ending. Some people are acting like the movie kicked their dog.

I thought Pratt was fine. He did the best he could with the material he had. So did Bryce, really. I've seen complaints about both performances, but I thought they were likable enough.

I think the movie had just the right amount of wonder. They were never going to match the original in that department, so it's probably good that they didn't try to. Gray was in awe and genuinely excited to see everything and his brother (Don't remember his name. Sad.) wasn't impressed. The kids kind of worked in that regard, supporting the films criticism of audiences today.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Oh god, I don't think I'll ever recover from seeing the petting zoo being attacked by the flying dinos. Somebody hold me.

The dying Apatasaurus had me close to tears, but seeing that little baby Trike picked up and dropped I think I even said "no not the babies!!" out loud. Poor thing got flipped onto its back with its little legs flailing around. That one kid did NOT want to leave though. Don't blame him. I would want to ride one of those things so bad.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I liked Pratt but I just feel he doesn't really suit being an authority figure well. Never really conveyed the emergency of the situation when it first broke out and didnt really seem that angry at the fuck up

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Oh god, I don't think I'll ever recover from seeing the petting zoo being attacked by the flying dinos. Somebody hold me.

One of the flying dinosaurs looked like the rest, but had basically a tyrannosaurus head. Is that a known dinosaur? It looked like those photoshopped mashups of animals.

kharma45

Surprised how not awful this was. Thought going by the trailers it'd stink but ended up being a very watchable film.

Edit - Also, I knew I spotted his face on the desk

Jeff Goldblum's character Dr. Ian Malcolm can be spotted on the cover of a book that is read by Zara (Katie McGrath) on the monorail ride in to the park. A copy of the same book is later shown on Lowery's (Jake Johnson's) desk in the control room when he is first introduced.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0369610/trivia?item=tr2514075

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
That's a Dimorphodon. It's real.

Dimorphodonjw.png

Hahaha, it's so goofy. I love it.

Jackson50

Nothing can compare to the magic of the first film. Nonetheless, Jurassic World was the first JP sequel that did not disappoint me. It's far from perfect, but I enjoyed it thoroughly. I could have done without the annoying children. But seemingly every Jurassic Park movie must have a child in danger; even if the premise is patently stupid, Lost World. They weren't as annoying as the children from 2 and 3, thankfully. The tactical raptor squad met my expectations. And the T-Rex rightfully reigns supreme. I nearly threw my pop at the screen when it seemed they had fed the T-Rex to the I-Rex. But she made an improbable comeback! The thought of a repeat of JP 3 was nauseous. I hope the fifth movie shows the T-Rex moving to the 2nd island to massacre the Spinosaurus. I want the rematch. But the T-Rex will win this time.

Off topic, but I saw some behavior in my theater that I've never seen before. A family snuck a giant plastic bag in and emptied the tub of popcorn into it and went back for refills. They must have done this 5-6 times before the movie started. It was ridiculous.

Yeah Rex was injured, while the Raptor lost its pack and was alone.
Had no problem with it.

bengraven

I wanna see this fucking movie so bad.

Why am I in the spoiler thread? Because I just don't give a shit. I just want to see this, but I'm worried I won't have time this weekend. Everything I've heard sounds awesome.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Movie needed an Avengers 1 after credits sequence with Grant, Ellie, Malcolm and the kids watching the news and all say "Those fucking idiots"

Movie needed an Avengers 1 after credits sequence with Grant, Ellie, Malcolm and the kids watching the news and all say "Those fucking idiots"

I kinda wished Malcolm was visiting the park for the first time during the movie or something. Something was missing without him laying around pointing out how everyone that runs the park is an idiot for the whole movie. The computer guy kinda had that role though.

jtb

Banned
So there's got to be some stuff with the babysitter left on the cutting room floor, right? Because that was a shockingly mean-spirited death scene, particularly when she has to take care of some real shithead kids.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
So there's got to be some stuff with the babysitter left on the cutting room floor, right? Because that was a shockingly mean-spirited death scene, particularly when she has to take care of some real shithead kids.

What did they do wrong? She was just on her phone all the time, clearly didn't give a crap about her job. They just took advantage.

Salbug

Awh man, just got back from seeing this. It was definitely a very good movie. Just like Pratt, I also was bonding with those raptors, which explains why I got like internally pissed off during the raptor heel turn scene when Pratt, and one of his raptor children were in a bonding stare off sort of situation then all of a sudden a fucking rocket launcher ruined that moment. I gave that moment alone 5 sins.

I absolutely teared up and was transported to my childhood when the T-rex was let out of his Paddock. I rank Jurassic World above Lost World and Jurassic Park 3. Nothing can touch the original. I'm hoping SW7 will give me similar moments. I know "Chewie, were home" did the same for me.

Loved all the callbacks to JP1
Chris Pratt needs to be the next coach of the Toronto Raptors
Product placement was hilarious and made total sense
Samsung and Verizon on the island and spotty cell phone coverage was kinda funny

Are they ever going to find the Barbasol can filled with embryos that Nedry lost? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom