• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic World |SPOILER THREAD| Lifting Up the Dinosaur's Skirts

Status
Not open for further replies.
They can clone dinosaurs and now they find out they can be controlled with the right conditioning. You bet someone will want to exploit the hell out of that. A theme park full of copyrighted animals that can be used in combat situations instead of humans. Now I'm not sure how I'd feel about this actually happening in sequels but I thought the subplot made enough sense. Someone is always eyeing them as more than theme park attractions.

The execution was corny, but it was in the original as well.

Hagi

I mean shady mystery man with shades giving money under the table to implied poor fat guy to smuggle out embryos along with corny music is pretty cheesy and on the nose too... all I'm saying is that it didn't feel out of place to me. I didn't think it was "evil" just shady. They thought they'd be using the raptors for good means but it was too early and they were exploited at the wrong time; Hoskins just saw it as an opportunity.

Sorry even if there is precedence for shady dealings from 1 and 3 none of that stuff was expanded upon. In both cases it was characters needing money and willing to deal with unknown parties to achieve their goals. Here we have "let's send raptors to kill ISIS" and it was super dumb. It's cool that it didn't bother you though but for me it held the film down.

Sorry even if there is precedence for shady dealings from 1 and 3 none of that stuff was expanded upon. In both cases it was characters needing money and willing to deal with unknown parties to achieve their goals. Here we have "let's send raptors to kill ISIS" and it was super dumb. It's cool that it didn't bother you though but for me it held the film down.

I also didn't think it was expanded upon here either though. It was basically Hoskins with these ideas and they never came to fruition. They talk about it but nothing happens. I get what you mean but it didn't hurt anything for me.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Goddamn that was a good fuckin movie. I wouldn't mind seeing it again.

Anyone else notice the background guy struggling to hold onto his two margaritas as the pterodactyls were attacking? Hilarious.

I also think people are underestimating the military's propensity for testing batshit crazy ideas.

I think the reason Hoskins was unbelievable to me was because he literally seemed to be blind. Like, Owen has to COMBAT ROLL out of the cage before the raptors eat him and Hoskins is like "u did gud owen they r ready 4 war"

Anyone else notice the background guy struggling to hold onto his two margaritas as the pterodactyls were attacking? Hilarious.

Hahaha, YES!

MajorMane

Oh, I didn't realize that they had a website dedicated to Masrani Global (Masrani's company that bought out InGen apparently). Fills in a lot of holes between the movies, actually. How'd I not know about this before the movie?

Found it through the Jurassic Park wiki's page on Masrani. Reading up on his page there definitely fills in some blanks in the movie (and even what happened to the Ptera's after JP3 apparently). Good read with information based off of that Masrani Global site.

Symphonic

Indominus Rex entry on the website mentions that his teeth can be continually replaced like most theropods and modern sharks.

The fact that the didn't show her die on screen makes me thing she'll be back. Probably a long shot, but I wonder if they mixed in some sort of aquatic DNA (not necessarily sharks) and she can breathe underwater. Cue sequel.

Calcium

Banned
What was the purpose of the raptor head cages? Just to talk with them to gain trust and/or veterinary inspections?

That Dilophosaurus cameo was pretty great. My audience loved it.

Symphonic

What was the purpose of the raptor head cages? Just to talk with them to gain trust and/or veterinary inspections?

That Dilophosaurus cameo was pretty great. My audience loved it.

Inspections and prep I'm sure. Same reason you muzzle dogs and lions.

Indominus Rex entry on the website mentions that his teeth can be continually replaced like most theropods and modern sharks.

The fact that the didn't show her die on screen makes me thing she'll be back. Probably a long shot, but I wonder if they mixed in some sort of aquatic DNA (not necessarily sharks) and she can breathe underwater. Cue sequel.

Nah. There's no possible way she survived. She was already injured from Rexy and on TOP of being bitten by the Mososaurus and then dragged into the water?

She's done.

Calcium

Banned

Dr. Wu ran off with a whole container full of crazy hybrids. I don't think we'll see Indominus again. As the movie says, audiences want to see something bigger and badder. More teeth is a plus too.

Inspections and prep I'm sure. Same reason you muzzle dogs and lions.

I read that they're for teeth-cleaning, but I don't think it's mentioned in the movie.

Makes sense. When they were fitting them with the cameras I just thought "Wow, good thing they have whatever those are or they wouldn't be able to do that."

Kinsei

Banned

Well she does have cuttlefish DNA that could let her breathe underwater, but even if she wasn't weakened from her fight with the T-Rex and the raptors she would still be at a huge disadvantage. She's dead.

Symphonic

I appreciated the line for the die-hard feather fans. Wu with something along the lines of "why are you surprised now, the dinos look nothing like they actually did with the amount of stuff we had to replace in the DNA".

Wonder if that'll quiet feather people down or just make it worse.

Calcium

Banned
Heh, if they did bring Indominus back they could reuse the "Something has survived." marketing from that lesser sequel.

Hagi

I expect that they might nerf her size and really make her the T1000 to Owens OG raptor's. Speaking of which that whole camouflage scene was fucking cool, such a neat idea.

Speaking of which that whole camouflage scene was fucking cool, such a neat idea.

It was so fucking cool, I'm pissed they didn't use it more. They could have staged an entire scene around "where is the I-Rex?" as it hunts them.

Getting flashbacks to TLW novel.

Symphonic

I expect that they might nerf her size and really make her the T1000 to Owens OG raptor's. Speaking of which that whole camouflage scene was fucking cool, such a neat idea.

Yeah, the camouflage was handled so much better than I expected. When it first came out that they were doing that, I figured it would be extremely campy and overused. Glad they only did it once and tastefully.

Just got back from it.

I had very low expectations based on my reactions to all the trailers that have been released, I wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I did. I really enjoyed it, just a solid, entertaining and all around fun film.

Less Jimmy Fallon next time though.

You mean No Jimmy Fallon. Unfunny clown

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
LOL yes, my theater got a kick out of that. I just shook my head. :p

Yeah I was like "did that guy just try to run inside AND save his drinks?!" I wonder if it was even in the script, or if the extra was just enjoying his drinks and didn't want to dump them from the invisible CG creatures :p

I thought the film was pretty good, which is kinda surprising since I didn't think I would like it that much. Only gripes were the assistant's death, which was just over kill to me on a character that we barely know, lil bro randomly bringing up their parent's divorce and just nothing happens with that plot line, big bro just staring and hitting on every chick he saw, even though he already has a girlfriend so again just really random, and lastly the raptors doing a double swerve with being face-back to hell-then back to face was just really stupid to me (especially the slo mo with blue was just extra stupid). But, by the end most of the characters grew on me and I really enjoyed it.

Bernbaum

The whole point of that scene was to have the 'real' classic dinosaurs triumph over the new modern built-for-purpose dinosaur. She's dead Jim.

Bernbaum

You know what was great - watching this with an audience that hadn't seen many pre-release clips.

There was an audible gasp from the collected audience when Zara got dropped in the mosasaur pool. Everyone knew immediately the danger she was in. All I thought was "hey, they kept her arm in this take!"

Calcium

Banned
Did anyone else notice during the chase with the ambulance(?) the doors on the back were swinging open and shut and the charging raptor slowed down to compensate for position of the doors. I thought it was a nice detail.

I thought the film was pretty good, which is kinda surprising since I didn't think I would like it that much. Only gripes were the assistant's death, which was just over kill to me on a character that we barely know, lil bro randomly bringing up their parent's divorce and just nothing happens with that plot line, big bro just staring and hitting on every chick he saw, even though he already has a girlfriend so again just really random, and lastly the raptors doing a double swerve with being face-back to hell-then back to face was just really stupid to me (especially the slo mo with blue was just extra stupid). But, by the end most of the characters grew on me and I really enjoyed it.

I have to say, even though the slow-mo was goofy as fuck, I really WAS scared the Rex was done for. I recognized how absurd it was but I still totally cheered.

Next movie should just go off the deep end and give us Milo & Otis with Rexy and Blue.

Did anyone else notice during the chase with the ambulance(?) the doors on the back were swinging open and shut and the charging raptor slowed down to compensate for position of the doors. I thought it was a nice detail.

Part of the reason I want to see it again is to watch the dinos and see what I missed. Like how Charlie (the youngest raptor) is too eager to move/get food in the pen and smacks Echo in the head with her tail, and Echo snaps at her.

Hagi

Oh man that whole Raptor heel turn was just exceptionally done. I legit had a massive grin on my face when all four turned their heads to look at Pratt and co and the mood turned to oh shit we're going to die a horrible death.

I mean you put cameras on their heads, the least you could do was hang back a bit lol

MajorMane

Which raptor is the one Hoskins always interacts with, Delta? I'm pretty sure it's the same one that eventually tears him apart, right?

Calcium

Banned
Which raptor is the one Hoskins always interacts with, Delta? I'm pretty sure it's the same one that eventually tears him apart, right?

Yeah, his first interaction was with Delta. I thought it was Blue that bit his hand off, though.

I loved Raptor Squad, but I honestly couldn't tell them apart during the movie.

Oh man that whole Raptor heel turn was just exceptionally done. I legit had a massive grin on my face when all four turned their heads to look at Pratt and co and the mood turned to oh shit we're going to die a horrible death.

I mean you put cameras on their heads, the least you could do was hang back a bit lol

"Raptors got a new alpha" and "open paddock 9" had me and my friends all

C78xpEH.gif

I gotta say, I love the site.

Nothing new since yesterday. Wait times are all still at 0, cams are still what they were yesterday.

I love reading about all the different packages JW offers and all of the bullshit one-star ratings for things such as "towels were not warm enough".

I have to say, even though the slow-mo was goofy as fuck, I really WAS scared the Rex was done for. I recognized how absurd it was but I still totally cheered.

I totally agree. It was great scene and they really did do a great job of making you think rex was going to die. It's just I couldn't stop laughing on how stupid that slo-mo was. Blue is my boy though and was happy that he survived.

Calcium

Banned
"open paddock 9"

I loved that scene, but after the fight was over I was like "Ok, now you have a Tyrannosaurus and a bunch of raptors running around. Is that better?" I thought it was odd how all the people seemed to disappear after a certain point. I get that they were waiting for the ferry, but were they really safe? Rexy could have easily stomped over and sniffed out a good lawyer to snack on. She loves those.

I loved that scene, but after the fight was over I was like "Ok, now you have a Tyrannosaurus and a bunch of raptors running around. Is that better?" I thought it was odd how all the people seemed to disappear after a certain point. I get that they were waiting for the ferry, but were they really safe? Rexy could have easily stomped over and sniffed out a good lawyer to snack on. She loves those.

It's another one of those "that makes sense"/"no it doesn't" moments in this movie. Like, the Rex comes out and is fucking READY to throw down, no questions asked, which worked for the scene but maybe isn't the most logical.

However, after the main threat is dead, I like that they didn't just start attacking each other. Anywhere in nature you can find predators coexisting in relative "peace" because there is no need for them to attack/fight. I'm sure Blue wasn't feeling up to taking on a Rex by herself and I'm sure Rexy felt like absolute shit, too.

Hagi

"Raptors got a new alpha" and "open paddock 9" had me and my friends all

C78xpEH.gif

There was a lot of moments like this. Especially when the chaos started and people were dropping like flies and getting fed to the fishes. I really did enjoy my time with this movie probably more than I did with Mad Max.

Let's face it she was fucked. If we didn't get the scene at the end with her roaring on top of the combat centre then I would just have assumed she limped back into her pen and died of her injuries.

Kinsei

Banned
One thing that bothered me about the movie. When the dimorpondons and pteranodons were attacking people, why didn't anyone try and take an umbrella from the tables to use so they wouldn't get grabbed from behind?

One thing that bothered me about the movie. When the dimorpondons and pteranodons were attacking people, why didn't anyone try and take an umbrella from the tables to use so they wouldn't get grabbed from behind?

Not easy to think that fast when you're panicking probably

To me she was just tired I guess and retreated away. That's the impression I got.

Calcium

Banned
It's another one of those "that makes sense"/"no it doesn't" moments in this movie. Like, the Rex comes out and is fucking READY to throw down, no questions asked, which worked for the scene but maybe isn't the most logical.

However, after the main threat is dead, I like that they didn't just start attacking each other. Anywhere in nature you can find predators coexisting in relative "peace" because there is no need for them to attack/fight. I'm sure Blue wasn't feeling up to taking on a Rex by herself and I'm sure Rexy felt like absolute shit, too.

Yeah, I was a little surprised that she was right there and ready to come out. That shot of her emerging from the darkness was amazing, though.

Rexy and Blue not throwing down didn't bother me at all. It's a leap to assume the two respected each other for taking down the Indominus, but after that fight scene I'm willing to take that leap. Just a little annoyed by Claire's logic of "Oh, this will be fine! Wait here and I'll go free a bigger dinosaur!"

Let's face it she was fucked. If we didn't get the scene at the end with her roaring on top of the combat centre then I would just have assumed she limped back into her pen and died of her injuries.

Nonsense. She is immortal.

MajorMane

Yeah, I was a little surprised that she was right there and ready to come out. That shot of her emerging from the darkness was amazing, though.

Rexy and Blue not throwing down didn't bother me at all. It's a leap to assume the two respected each other for taking down the Indominus, but after that fight scene I'm willing to take that leap. Just a little annoyed by Claire's logic of "Oh, this will be fine! Wait here and I'll go free a bigger dinosaur!"

Not entirely sure she was really thinking she'd make it out of that plan alive, but, uh, yeah. The complete jump from "need more teeth" to "unlease the T-Rex" did seem quick and without the general critical thinking she applies elsewhere, but it's what they needed at that moment.

It was ready to eat Bryce's character, but then it saw a real threat between it and it's prey

Hagi

The TRex even tried to take a bite out of Pratt and the kids when it got its head slammed into the place they were hiding lol I thought that was a nice touch.

Saw it this morning at 9am. I was a bit surprised the theater was as full as it was. And, a little grossed out that people were eating giant bags of popcorn so early.

I feel like I had the exact opposite reaction of a lot of people with this movie. Almost all of the prerelease stuff sounded great. They finally got the park working. They created a new dinosaur for marketing purposes! Perfect! I thought the whole movie would be in on itself, fun, and entertaining.

Instead, it just ended up being underwhelming. Not awful, and certainly not approaching good. Just... there. Honestly, the first quarter of the movie was so dreadful in its editing, pacing, and writing that I thought it was a commentary on itself (about the attitude toward the new park or something), but the movie just continued to plod along. Kahn's arc doesn't really exist. He's a good guy from start to finish, so his "nobile" death is just another death. Side note, increasing the death count in these movies does not make them more exciting or scary. So what was the scariest/creepiest moment of the film? Probably the CG baby dinosaur arm at the very beginning. For whatever reason, it really unnerved me.

This is a very petty complain about the movie, but the logistics of the park really bothered me. There's no way any safety board would allow people paddling next to dinosaurs, or those user powered hamster balls. As someone who loves Disneyland and has been there many times, and quite recently, stuff like that bothered me more than it makes any logical sense. Seriously, when they get in the hamster ball, the thing is already taking off and the door is closing before he's even all the way inside and buckled. The employee isn't even doing a final seat belt tug to make sure they're fastened!

Back to the film in general, I could go on about just how poorly written it was (especially when credited to four people). The first scene with D'Onofrio goes on for such a long time with the same things being said over and over; I looked at my watch twice during it because he just kept going on and on, hammering the same points over and over again as if the filmmakers thought this was about the part in the movie where someone might get up to go to the bathroom and would have missed the obvious point that the military are evil and weaponizing raptors is bad and stupid! Then, there's the stilted and dated meeting of Pratt and Howard that people have complained about before, so there's no need to retreat how stupid it is. But, my god, during the flying dinosaur attack, when they kissed, did I officially go from being disappointed in the movie to being embarrassed. Embarrassed for watching it, for the people who made it, for every one.

Again, I really liked some of the ideas in the movie. I love the idea that the park is open and works. I love the idea that they're having to create new dinosaurs. I love that they have corporate sponsorship (I wish it was AT&T and not Verizon since AT&T has a history with Disneyland, recently with them sponsoring the opening of the Indiana Jones ride). I love the scene where Wong confronts Khan, somewhat handwaving away the reason why these dinosaurs didn't have feathers and instead appealing to commercial interests. I liked the idea that the new dinosaur was created to specifically be a weapon. I even like the idea of training the raptors since they are intelligent or whatever. But this was just so sloppy and so lazy. And lame. I mean, if you want to say the ending is better than the dino-gymnastics of 2 and the talking with the raptors in 3 (including the abrupt military-rescues-everyone ending), then sure. But, a raptor and a T Rex team up to take down the big baddie, and then don't turn on each other in the end? They might have well had the raptor walk to up Chris Pratt and give him a kiss before riding into the moonlight. And, for the record (which you can use to discredit all of my opinions), I do not dislike the T Rex in LA ending of JP2; I feel the JP2 is bad and has far worse moments in it than that ending people seem to loathe.

Production-wise, some of the CG looked great, while at other times it did not. I loved the design of the park in general (ignoring my quirky logistic/practical concerns). I think Indominous Rex (sp?) looked just ok; something about his coloring bothered me. I thought all of the dinosaur sounds were off. And, as far as music goes, it was just average. I'm lifting a comment I've read on another message board, but Michael Giacchino has a really spotty record outside of his work with Pixar.

One last complaint and then one positive note. I also turned my nose up to the nostalgia in the movie, specifically when the kids venture into the dusty remains of old toys and gadgets from the first movie. It felt really unearned and manipulative. Also, and this is really nitpicky, but there was one or two Hammond references for my taste as well. Again, like much of the movie, it just has to hammer its points over and over again to make sure you don't miss its obviousness.

On the final positive note, there's one moment I really enjoyed and thought was great. For me, the best moment is when Pratt walks alongside the dying brachiosaurus. It was such a nice moment showcasing the enormity of them while creating little bit of tension and sadness. Of course, though, that scene did end up going on too long as well when he's cradling its head, but that 10 seconds of that long walk was great.

I could go on. It's stupid how Khan is supposedly the only person who can fly a helicopter, and then we see other people flying helicopters. The divorce/family drama is handled badly. Out of nowhere and for plot convenience, the children are somehow expert mechanics. BD Wong is now a bad guy for... reasons. D'Onofrio chews up the movie more than the dinosaurs. The children have no substance to them other than the oldest is horny and the younger is... well, I honestly don't know if they were going for nerdy, excited, or something neurologically wrong with him. And so on, and so on.

But, I think this is over 1000 words now so I'll stop before I keep going on and on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom