• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just bought an American candy box (I'm in the UK)

• Thread starter Deleted member 325805
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
How did I do? I have no idea what any of this tastes like. I actually just opened the Baby Ruth which is a Snickers, but apart from that ;)

81OA5pRpCDL._SL1000_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hivsteak

Hahah they gave you a packet of Kool-Aid. The Airhead and the hard candy Warhead are probably the best non-chocolate candy. Bubblicious is quite good for massive bubbles, as the name implies.

You can't beat Tangfastics. Why bother?

Only Reese's pieces in that basket is worthwhile IMO. Send it back and ask for same weight in Jerky.

Grinchy

Banned
Not bad. If I wanted to really sit down and make a list of the best American candies, it would be pretty different from what's in that package, but those aren't terrible choices.

You can go ahead and send that Reece's big cup on over to me. I promise you would hate it so much that you'd be happy to pay to ship it to me so I could take the bullet for you.

How did I do? I have no idea what any of this tastes like. I actually just opened the Baby Ruth which is a Snickers, but apart from that ;)

81OA5pRpCDL._SL1000_.jpg

Not a lot of good there, IMO. Nerds are basically if gravel was a candy that tasted like pure sugar. Kool-Aid? You don't have powdered sugar flavors for water where you live?

Milk Duds aren't bad, though. Same with Baby Ruth. Best things there, IMO, are the Reese's, Twizzlers and the Tootsie Roll. Needs more Skittles and Twix Bars.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Not a lot of good there, IMO. Nerds are basically if gravel was a candy that tasted like pure sugar. Kool-Aid? You don't have powdered sugar flavors for water where you live?

Milk Duds aren't bad, though. Same with Baby Ruth. Best things there, IMO, are the Reese's, Twizzlers and the Tootsie Roll. Needs more Skittles and Twix Bars.

Never had a powdered water drink in my life, our cordial comes as a liquid. And we have Twix and Skittles in the UK, so it would be pointless including them.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Those are available worldwide, though. Whilst they are American, the box would be worthless if it was filled with stuff you could buy at any local store.

That's why I went for this one, I've never seen any of this stuff before. The only thing I haven't liked thus far are the Boston Baked Beans, they're pretty shit.

DKehoe

They don't have snickers or twix in UK?

We have them in the UK but they are widely considered by people here to be on the lowest tier. There's a box of chocolates called Celebrations that is made up of miniature versions of chocolate bars and Snickers and Twix are always the ones left until last.

Geki-D

Banned
Seeing as I don't live in the UK anymore, I'd rather have UK candies. Cadbury's is so damn good.
BRK024.jpg

We get Milka here who own Cadbury, but way less variation and none of the stuff you get in the UK.

American stuff is ok. Besides the stuff we get worldwide though, I hear chocolate (like Reeses) tends to be more bitter, less creamy than Cadbury's & Milka. The only American thing I really wish I could get here that we don't are Poptarts.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
A Baby Ruth is not a Snickers
Whew I'm glad someone else noticed and pointed this out. I didn't want to be culturally insensitive.

Holy fucking shit, I just put the Warheads extreme sour in my mouth and it has to be one of the worst things that has ever passed my lips, who the fuck buys that?
Do you not have sour candy in the UK? Sour stuff has been popular since I was a kid (early 90s). Crybabies, Warheads, Sour Punch straws, etc. were pretty common in my area.

Moneal

Holy fucking shit, I just put the Warheads extreme sour in my mouth and it has to be one of the worst things that has ever passed my lips, who the fuck buys that?
sorry i did actually laugh out loud reading that. i love warheads and other sour candies like DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi just mentioned. warheads usually were the most potent. I even eat lemons from time to time.

I always thought of sour candies as childish jokes that were just meant to be popular among kids for the experience you had sharing it with your friends none of that stuff was meant to be tasty. Some people love them tho

highrider

Banned
Kind of a mediocre tier selection but Nerds are a favorite, also The Charleston Chew is better if you freeze and shatter it. The taffy filling is kind of brutal at room temp. As someone used to superior European sweets you may be unimpressed lol.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
sorry i did actually laugh out loud reading that. i love warheads and other sour candies like DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi just mentioned. warheads usually were the most potent. I even eat lemons from time to time.
Yeah once as a kid I made my tongue raw after eating a whole roll of Chewy Shock Tarts / Shockers.

Shock-Tarts-Single.jpg

also The Charleston Chew is better if you freeze and shatter it. The taffy filling
🇺🇸

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
No.

Baby Ruth is Peanuts chocolate and caramel

So, a Snickers? I think you're confused lol. The only difference is the nuget, which makes very little difference. The second I put it in my mouth I said "Oh, a Snickers". I don't know how anyone could eat it and not think of Snickers.

Snickers is jam-packed with: Milk chocolate (35%) with soft nougat (14%) and caramel centre (27%) with fresh roasted peanuts (24%).

Last edited by a moderator:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
So, a Snickers? I think you're confused lol. The only difference is the nuget, which makes very little difference. The second I put it in my mouth I said "Oh, a Snickers". I don't know how anyone could eat it and not think of Snickers.

Snickers is jam-packed with: Milk chocolate (35%) with soft nougat (14%) and caramel centre (27%) with fresh roasted peanuts (24%).
Goodness, Baby Ruth is totally different.

1200px-Baby-Ruth-Split.jpg

Different ratios, different mouthfeel, 👏D I F F E R E N T 👏 L I V E D 👏 E X P E R I E N C E👏

No wonder you Brits can't handle our superior American sour candy and candy bars named after baseball heroes.

Nuget makes little difference

Reported for trolling

iconmaster

Banned
Nerds 👍
Twizzlers 👍
Warheads 👍
Swedish Fish 👍

Careful of Milk Duds and Jolly Ranchers. Those are tooth destroyers.

Last edited:

VAL0R

Banned
Jolly Ranchers have addictive delicious chemicals added that make you keep eating them even though they bond to your teeth like cement and break them.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
You really want to try Take Five, Almond Joy (warning: can lose freshness quickly and thus be ruined, like Butterfinger), Whatchamacallit, Whoppers, Mike & Ike, Starburst, York Peppermint Patty, Wonka Runts (superior to Nerds), Wonka Bottle Caps (very unique/iconic childhood), and better flavors of Laffy Taffy like Strawberry and Banana. Twix is nothing special by itself but dip it in peanut butter and you have something special and very American.

also The Charleston Chew is better if you freeze and shatter it.
Even better is to get the miniatures and freeze them.

Last edited:

HoodWinked

Airheads are great.
Tootsie rolls are considered bottom tier Halloween candy
Lemonheads are one of my favorite but not the chewy ones
Twizzlers are bland but not bad if you're in the mood for it
I think this box is missing fun dip it's not great but it's novelty is what makes it memorable.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Red Vines are significantly better than Twizzlers, which I would deign to call 'licorice'.

Twizzler Pull N Peel was pretty good when I was growing up. Not sure if they still make that.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Seeing as I don't live in the UK anymore, I'd rather have UK candies. Cadbury's is so damn good.
BRK024.jpg

We get Milka here who own Cadbury, but way less variation and none of the stuff you get in the UK.

American stuff is ok. Besides the stuff we get worldwide though, I hear chocolate (like Reeses) tends to be more bitter, less creamy than Cadbury's & Milka. The only American thing I really wish I could get here that we don't are Poptarts.
UK/Canadian Cadbury chocolates are different than the US formula. It has higher quality cocoa.

Top Bottom