• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just found out my girlfriend is cheating on me

No girl seriously planning on marrying their boyfriend will even entertain the idea of having friends of the same sex/hanging with them after the 23rd or whatever... Something's off.
Seems MrMatt555's sexist and myopic views of women have struck again!
Girls say stupid shit when their upset.
Sorry about that. But Girls are more emotionally driven than men. Not ego. Just fact
She got defensive as all girls do...
Is she a lying bitch, GAF?

Hanckybrainy

Neo Member
No girl seriously planning on marrying their boyfriend will even entertain the idea of having friends of the same sex/hanging with them after the 23rd or whatever... Something's off.

You're getting jumped on a lot here...but I think you're right. At least, he or she wouldn't allow them to hang out alone with someone of opposite sex. Not always, but I can count plenty I've known of friends that are like this. There's a mile difference between how people should be, and how they are.

I'm bisexual. So, if I have a SO, what's the conclusion? I cannot have friends anymore?

Those types of people have jealous controlling issues. You don't own your SO.

Seems MrMatt555's sexist and myopic views of women have struck again!

Shiiiiiiiiiet.

giphy.gif

ThisGuy

People generally do not go out alone with the opposite sex when they're committed. Why some members on here pretend this is a awful or a crazy phenomenon is beyond. Its pretty common, its the norm.

Honestly, otherwise is not the norm.

Hanckybrainy

Neo Member
People generally do not go out alone with the opposite sex when they're committed. Why some members on here pretend this is a awful or a crazy phenomenon is beyond. Its pretty common, its the norm.

There was a time when almost everybody on the planet thought the earth was flat. It was the norm. It did not make it right, though. Also, I think what you say is just based on your personal experience around you. It is the norm within my circle of friends and acquaintances. So, based on my own experience, I could say the opposite. In fact, I think neither of us do not know what is the truth because we don't have any reliable data about that fact.

Nonetheless, whether it's something common or not, my opinion on jealousy is that it is not a feeling that gives you the right to coerce the behavior of your SO. I can understand why someone can feel it, because it is an alarm, like pain. It reminds you that you don't want to loose something special. I have felt it sometimes and I suppose everyone do (and I think It's not exclusive to SO, it can be for friends or family too). But, if you feel jealous, it's your issue, you have to control it, you do not have the right to ask your SO to restrain normal behavior (having the right to have friends no matter the gender of those friends) because you are feeling it.

Also, on a more pragmatic side, thinking that saying to your SO "I forbid you to go out alone with someone of the other gender" is a guaranty that your relationship will last forever, or you SO will never leave you, or you will never be cheated is so....childishly naive...

And again, this mindset is based on a heterosexual frame of reference of sentimental relationships. So, in addition, it's an innacurate way of thinking for a non-negligible part of the humankind.

What kind of regressive thinking is this? My girlfriend has friends, men and women. She can hang out with whoever she wants since she's an adult. I trust her and its really that simple.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

What the fuck

I'll hang out with my male friends if I want to. So glad my SO isn't a jealous, insecure control freak

What kibd of regressive thinking is this? My girlfriend has friends, men and women. She can hang out with whoever she wants since she's an adult. I trust her and its really that simple.
Thank you for your sanity.

Ristifer

Holy shit.

Kensation

People in exclusive relationships generally do not go out alone with the opposite sex with the intention of fucking when they're committed. Why some members on here pretend this is a awful or a crazy phenomenon is beyond. Its pretty common, its the norm.

FTFY

hwalker84

Such an ignorant, and low self-esteem, way of view. I have two girls who are my best friends since childhood. We hang out all together sometimes, sometimes individually, or whatever combination. They both have boyfriends and we all get along just fine. When I find me a girl, she’s going to be fine with us hanging out too.

Are people that insecure that they can’t let their girlfriend/boyfriend have friend’s of the same, or opposite, sex?
100% truth. My best friend is a girl she's my family my sister. I'm married. I go down regularly to stay with her and her boyfriend. Me and him text all the time. If my wife had a problem with this while dating she wouldn't be my wife.

ThisGuy

What the fuck

I'll hang out with my male friends if I want to. So glad my SO isn't a jealous, insecure control freak

Its not about being a jealous or a control freak. Its just the norm. It doesn't happen often. Your jump to conclusions is nice though lmfao. You sound like someone who can approach a different view point respectfully.

ThisGuy

I am, got more to say, or gonna dick ride?

What kind of regressive thinking is this? My girlfriend has friends, men and women. She can hang out with whoever she wants since she's an adult. I trust her and its really that simple.

Stating that its the norm. Is not regressive. Its really not a matter of me, or my SO. Its just the norm for everyone we know. People typically do not go out with the opposite sex.

Although everyone will dogpile on you. TBH when you’re married with kids, you barely have enough time to get together with your boys for a catch-up.

Hanckybrainy

Neo Member
Stating that its the norm. Is not regressive. Its really not a matter of me, or my SO. Its just the norm for everyone I know around me. People typically do not go out with the opposite sex within my circle of acquaintances.

FTFY. As I previously answered, you don't know that on the scale of the planet. And, "it's the norm" as "it's the most statistically occurent behavior" is not a good argument for saying it's ok even if it were true (again, previously answered).

Originally Posted by Hanckybrainy

I'm bisexual. So, if I have a SO, what's the conclusion? I cannot have friends anymore?

Clearly.

Nice. I'll keep that in mind XD.

Stating that its the norm. Is not regressive. Its really not a matter of me, or my SO. Its just the norm for everyone we know. People typically do not go out with the opposite sex.

I mean, it depends... you know? Maybe they could be friends before the SO got involved. Not every couple is the same.

Some people can get engaged in a year and a half and live a happy marriage.

Some people can have plutonic relationships with others of the opposite/same sex.

Now, if they are hanging out with someone you’ve never met and is new, then there may be room for concern and talks should be had.

TaterTots

Banned
Its not about being a jealous or a control freak. Its just the norm. It doesn't happen often. Your jump to conclusions is nice though lmfao. You sound like someone who can approach a different view point respectfully.

I am, got more to say, or gonna dick ride?

You're getting dog piled, but you're right. It's a pretty common mentality I see often.

ThisGuy

Although everyone will dogpile on you. TBH when you’re married with kids, you barely have enough time to get together with your boys for a catch-up.

Pretty much. I feel like most people offended by this, which is hilarious that they're offended as I never attacked them, are young. Or have very little going on in life.

You're getting dog piled, but you're right. It's a pretty common mentality I see often.

Thank you. It is common.

Da fuck? I've never experienced this or known anyone personally who thought this way. This is some backwards fuck ass thinking.

Either member or any relationship can hang out with friends of either gender/sex unless strictly agreed upon by all parties that that is not something they want, but personally if it were me that's a deal breaker.

Well, get to know more people. That's fine its a deal breaker for you. For a lot people, its common. I also believe you're lying when you say you dont know anyone like this. I've met people from swingers to Muslims where cannot show much of their bodies, to Christians who cannot wear jewelry. Get out more?

_Ryo_

Da fuck? I've never experienced this or known anyone personally who thought this way. This is some backwards fuck ass thinking.

Either member or any relationship can hang out with friends of either gender/sex unless strictly agreed upon by all parties that that is not something they want, but personally if it were me that's a deal breaker.

Those types of people have jealous controlling issues. You don't own your SO.

Exact;y.

TheDanger

Banned

It's very common where I live to have friends of the opposite sex and yeah going out or hanging out with them alone too, if there is trust in the relationship it's a non issue. I could never be with a girl so jealous she'd make me cut my female friends out of my life.

Ristifer

Well, get to know more people. That's fine its a deal breaker for you. For a lot people, its common. I also believe you're lying when you say you dont know anyone like this. I've met people from swingers to Muslims where cannot show much of their bodies, to Christians who cannot wear jewelry. Get out more?
Or maybe it's just not as "normal" as it's been in your circles? Talking like it's a universal norm is hilarious. As soon as it's outside normal for you, they need to "get out more" or "get to know more people". Please.

ThisGuy

Or maybe it's just not as "normal" as it's been in your circles? Talking like it's a universal norm is hilarious. As soon as it's outside normal for you, they need to "get out more" or "get to know more people". Please.
Bitch please, acting like you've never met someone like that is ridiculous.

This post is dumb as fuck after I've stated I know know swingers. Learn to read lol.

It's very common where I live to have friends of the opposite sex and yeah going out or hanging out with them alone too, if there is trust in the relationship it's a non issue. I could never be with a girl so jealous she'd make me cut my female friends out of my life.

It was only somewhat common when I was a teenager or in my early twenties. After people started to settle down it just stops. Which is the norm.

The Wart

It is absolutely not the norm in any remotely progressive area. So you might want to consider the possibility that you are living in a regressive culture. And no I don't care that you "know swingers". Also I have no idea how you can justify claiming that this is some universal norm when you have a bajillion people in this thread telling you clearly that this is not the norm for them or in their social groups.

ThisGuy

I'd hate to live in thisguys world. Sounds boring as fuck.

You wouldn't, I ball out.

It is absolutely not the norm in any remotely progressive area. So you might want to consider the possibility that you are living in a regressive culture. And no I don't care that you "know swingers". Also I have no idea how you can justify claiming that this is some universal norm when you have a bajillion people in this thread telling you clearly that this is not the norm for them or in their social groups.

GAF isn't normal. If you think so, you're delusional. While progressive, and ideological. Its just not.

I probably do get out more than you though. Evidently you only encounter a small segment of progressives. As for it being the norm. I cannot in good faith say its the norm for the entire planet. But for America, or any country dominated by a secular religion or patriarchal society? Yes.

ironmang

I think it depends on the situation. Like, I don't know anybody who would be cool with their SO going out for drinks with someone of the opposite sex (or same sex if they're gay) they've never met or spending time at their house/apartment alone. If it's a lifelong friend you personally know and they meet up to watch Survivor together or whatever then you shouldn't have a problem with it.

It was only somewhat common when I was a teenager or in my early twenties. After people started to settle down it just stops. Which is the norm.

Who appointed you arbiter of normalcy? I've been married going on a decade. I have several close female friends, and my wife has several male friends. Most of said friends are close to our age, and married, or in long term relationships. So I suppose all of them, and by extension their significant others are the exception as well.

Now, I don't presume my anecdotal evidence is worth any more than yours, but for it to be such an indisputable "norm", I sure do seem to have run into a fair few anomalies.

A bold proposal, but it might work?

Its not about being a jealous or a control freak. Its just the norm. It doesn't happen often. Your jump to conclusions is nice though lmfao. You sound like someone who can approach a different view point respectful.

Hang on, is it the norm or does it not happen often? It's definitely a view that is common enough, but I don't know if it's "the norm". Personally I think it's a bad sign if you can't trust your partner to hang out with members of the opposite sex alone. But, there are all sorts of common sentiments that I don't agree with so I'm only giving my view on the matter.

Ristifer

Bitch please, acting like you've never met someone like that is ridiculous.

This post is dumb as fuck after I've stated I know know swingers. Learn to read lol.

Congratulations, you proved my point.

I never "acted" like I haven't met someone like that. All I said was that the norm for you can be a different norm for other people. Only a total imbecile wouldn't understand that.

But, well done on knowing swingers, I guess. I'm sure they throw kick ass parties.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
I go hang out many weekends in an apartment with 3 women. 2 of which have significant others. Nothing even remotely flirtatious happens. People need to chill out. I mean I don’t find any of them attractive so that makes it easy on my end but still it’s not like I’d be snuggling up you just have boundaries if they’re only friends and especially if they have SOs

blakep267

I mean people experience jealousy and I find it understandable. I can trust my partner perfectly fine but I'd still find it unconfortsbke if she had a work husband who she spent a sizable amount of time with and talks about all the time. It's different if they are childhood friends, but I've definitely seen plenty of people tone back their cross gender friendships when they get into a relationship

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.

To be fair, this depends on both your social behaviour and how the relationship is born.

My gf and I are antisocial bitches except when we're out together. We met one on one. Dated one on one, etc.

In stark contrast, my ex was a social butterfly and I grew accustomed to her hanging out with a bunch of dudes that were roudy and raunchy but decent enough people all in all.

We met while hanging out with the same group, going to concerts, etc...

I never had reason to be uncomfortable, suspicious, worried, jealous or what have you, but I'm a pretty reasonable guy.

I'm of the mentality that if someone cheats on me, fuck 'em. It's their loss, if it's not my fault. Although, if I find myself slipping and actually hurting the relationship, then yeah, there are grounds for worry; BUT, if you're used to your SO having opposite sex friends then you're only worrying because of what you're doing your relationship.

What do you do then? Start sniffing her blouse for dude's cologne or start getting your shit together as a couple?

You have to know yourself and your SO and be able to read your relationship.

If my GF started doing things out of character (suddenly having new guy friends) without any trouble in the relationship I'd worry, but only just worry. Maybe I should do the same? Maybe I should join her? Maybe sit down and talk?

I can tell you my first instinct won't be asking for advice on a message board.

Sometimes you get cheated on without reason and there's no avoiding it.

Your only consolation is that you out yourself out there. You didn't leave anything up to chance. They weren't true enough or brave enough, or had the moral fiber to break it off before hurting you... which like I said before.

Fuck 'em.

More to your point though, there's no winning formula that the majority of couples follow to avoid worrying and suspicion.

It most certainly isn't forbidding your SO from socializing with the opposite sex right off the bat.

(Sorry for the convoluted rant lol)

DrSlek

What on Earth is going on in this thread? I thought OP sorted shit out with his lady friend.

Has there been another plot twist or is everybody arguing amongst themselves over whether OP should have taken their advice or not.

ThisGuy

A mother fucker deserves a medal for all this lol.

I think it depends on the situation. Like, I don't know anybody who would be cool with their SO going out for drinks with someone of the opposite sex (or same sex if they're gay) they've never met or spending time at their house/apartment alone. If it's a lifelong friend you personally know and they meet up to watch Survivor together or whatever then you shouldn't have a problem with it.
Pretty much. I dont know any couple, gay or straight, that goes out for drinks. Hardly ever a one on one thing. I also want to mention that's it not a jealous SO thing. I know woman who refuse to be alone with another man in a...non work related or what ever situation. This isn't abnormal.

Who appointed you arbiter of normalcy? I've been married going on a decade. I have several close female friends, and my wife has several male friends. Most of said friends are close to our age, and married, or in long term relationships. So I suppose all of them, and by extension their significant others are the exception as well.

Now, I don't presume my anecdotal evidence is worth any more than yours, but for it to be such an indisputable "norm", I sure do seem to have run into a fair few anomalies.

In my experience you have. I know couples like you. And I personally lean closer to that. But that is not what I see, or have seen typically in my experience.

I'm pretty good here in my social utopia where I can be friends with people of all sexes and orientations.
Lol, okay? I never said anything against it. Which is what is hilarious about this. Seems like some members cannot stand other people living differently than them.

A bold proposal, but it might work?

Hang on, is it the norm or does it not happen often? It's definitely a view that is common enough, but I don't know if it's "the norm". Personally I think it's a bad sign if you can't trust your partner to hang out with members of the opposite sex alone. But, there are all sorts of common sentiments that I don't agree with so I'm only giving my view on the matter.
Nothing wrong with dp ;)

I used norm and not often together. I dont think either as bad personally. If that's your circle and how your people are and you're happy. What's the problem?

Congratulations, you proved my point.

I never "acted" like I haven't met someone like that. All I said was that the norm for you can be a different norm for other people. Only a total imbecile wouldn't understand that.

But, well done on knowing swingers, I guess. I'm sure they throw kick ass parties.

The swingers I know are great. But, that's because as people they are. And yes, the parties are ass kicking.

I’m not defending ThisGuy but I see what he’s saying. It’s not always true but it is common in a lot of circles.

How often do you or your friends hang out by yourselves for dinner or whatever? Is it often? I don’t see it a lot in smaller towns but it’d make sense for younger people in a larger town. Either way, it depends on the couple. Which he really needed to add “In my experience... blah blah”

If my wife had a long time friend she likes to hang out with, I wouldn’t care if she hung out with him after work or whatever. But if this person is new, and all of the sudden, they need to hang out often and without me? I’m gonna ask questions.

But again, people are different and each couple are different. The same rules don’t apply to everyone.

I used norm and not often together. I dont think either as bad personally. If that's your circle and how your people are and you're happy. What's the problem?

I was saying that something can't be THE norm and not happen often at the same time. It can be common, but to be the norm it would have to be something that happens in the majority of relationships... And I'm not convinced that is the case.

I guess it's about values. I could never date a girl who had iron clad "can not hang out with members of the opposite sex" rules. It just wouldn't work for me. But I'm married so it doesn't really matter to me!

Top Bottom