• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just got a visit from scientology.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan_

So, I'm working in a record store as a vacation job and since it's hot as hell, nobody's around.

Suddenly, there walks in this very bright, happy woman with a big smile on her face.
She almost looks to happy to be healthy. A bit frantic.
She shakes my hand and tells me she's promoting books.
Now, we have all sorts of promotions and leaflets lying around in the store so I kindly ask what books she's promoting.

Out comes the book "Dianetics" and promptly she begins to talk about how we only use 5% of our mental capacity and all kinds of shit like that.

At this point, I'm beginning to suspect something and when I read the cover and see who the author is, these suspicions are confirmed... L. Ron Hubbard.
Now, where did I hear that name before? Right! South Park!

So I kindly ask if she's from scientology and she answers proudly that she is and has been a member for 20 years.
My mind races with images of Tom Cruise and John Travolta in a closet, aliens and weird rituals.
Still, my professional courtesy allows me to not burst in laughter and I fake some genuine interest but I also let her know that I don't have any money for books nor the DVD she subsequently shows me. To ease her pain, I let her know that I will certainly visit her site.

She walks out and just when I'm starting to think that I handled that pretty well, she comes back and asks me for my telephone or email because "She likes to keep in touch with people who are interested." Apperently she mistook my kind neutrality for sincere interest. I gave her an email I don't use anymore and wished her a nice day.

Oh, well, since I'm from Belgium, this is the first time I got approached by scientology and since I'm bored of my ass, I thought I'd share it with you guys!

Sounds like you handled that very well ;)

I only recently found out that the scientology centre for Munich is just around the corner from me. :-/
not seen any of them yet though.

histopher

Hehe. I didnt know they had books, I would love to read one. I have always wanted them to try and brainwash me but yeah that's probably a stupid and dangerous idea. Just so hard to imagine anyone buying into the stuff.

Monocle

You missed a golden opportunity to hand her a copy of the Necronomicon and comment on how it changed your life.

This is a scientologist woman from the Church right down my street in STL. I actually found a way to interview her and get her to rap inside the scientology church in front of a massive portrait of L Ron Hubbard for my high school film production class. It was for a PSA or something against Scientology...haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGHbbZpIArc

Hehe. I didnt know they had books, I would love to read one. I have always wanted them to try and brainwash me but yeah that's probably a stupid and dangerous idea. Just so hard to imagine anyone buying into the stuff.

yea that does sound incredibly stupid.
Like "I just cannot believe that Heroin in -that- addictive. I will have to try to prove everyone wrong!" Two days later one is a heroin addict.

So, I'm working in a record store as a vacation job and since it's hot as hell, nobody's around.

Suddenly, there walks in this very bright, happy woman with a big smile on her face.
Now, we have all sorts of promotions and leaflets lying around in the store so I kindly ask what books she's promoting.

Out comes the book "Dianetics" and promptly she begins to talk about how we only use 5% of our mental capacity and all kinds of shit like that.

At this point, I'm beginning to suspect something and when I read the cover and see who the author is, these suspicions are confirmed... L. Ron Hubbard.

So I kindly ask if she's from scientology and she answers proudly that she is and has been a member for 20 years.
My mind races with images of Tom Cruise and John Travolta in a closet, aliens and weird rituals.
Still, my professional courtesy allows me to not burst in laughter and I fake some genuine interest but I also let her know that I don't have any money for books nor the DVD she subsequently shows me. To ease her pain, I let her know that I will certainly visit her site.

She walks out and just when I'm starting to think that I handled that pretty well, she comes back and asks me for my telephone or email because "She likes to keep in touch with people who are interested." Apperently she mistook my kind neutrality for sincere interest. I gave her an email I don't use anymore and wished her a nice day.

Oh, well, since I'm from Belgium, this is the first time I got approached by scientology and since I'm bored of my ass, I thought I'd share it with you guys!

Record store in Ghent by any chance?

Ryan_

You missed a golden opportunity to hand her a copy of the Necronomicon and comment on how it changed your life.

Hm, didn't have my copy with me. I did however have Blood Meridian with me.
That could have done the trick too.

she wanted the d, ryan.

I always wanted to know what it's like with a fanatic person. A missed chance indeed.

Record store in Ghent by any chance?

Haha, not Ghent but Knokke! Free Record Shop in the Lippenslaan.
Come by any time, I'll give you a discount! In fact, any GAffer gets a discount!

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
You were too nice. Cult members who try to recruit other cult members into their criminal immoral enterprise should be shamed and treated like the criminals they are.

You were too nice. Cult members who try to recruit other cult members into their criminal immoral enterprise should be shamed and treated like the criminals they are.

That is almost definitely easier said than done.
If one is not very well informed a debate with someone who has been in the organisation for 20+ years is not likely to go your way.

Replicant

These fuckers are doing recruitment near my uni under the guise of 'stress test'. Their target are clearly those stressed out international students. I want to warn them not to get fooled but I don't want to come across as the crazies.

Hm, didn't have my copy with me. I did however have Blood Meridian with me.
That could have done the trick too.

I always wanted to know what it's like with a fanatic person. A missed chance indeed.

Come by any time, I'll give you a discount! In fact, any GAffer gets a discount!

Hehe, i'll be on a little vacation at our fantastic sea shore in 2 weeks, maybe i'll hop in :)

But a friend of mine had a similar experience here in Ghent.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
If one is not very well informed a debate with someone who has been in the organisation for 20+ years is not likely to go your way.

You don't debate someone who is a criminal. You tell them to leave and don't come back. If a gang member entered your place of employment you wouldn't engage in a debate about the merits of gang life. You'd tell them to leave because they aren't welcome there.

CTLance

Sounds like you handled that very well ;)

I only recently found out that the scientology centre for Munich is just around the corner from me. :-/
not seen any of them yet though.
Is it still in the Landshuter Allee in Neuhausen, between Nymphenburger and Blutenburgstrasse? I grew up nearby, a friend lived in the same house as them and later on I'd walk by them on my way to school. Veeeery creepy, but at the same time very unassuming. Or is it the one near Münchner Freiheit? I believe they have a bunch of nests hidden away all over Munich.

My experience from years ago, when I was still a bright-eyed kiddo:
One rather desperate-looking guy tried to sell me a super thin Scientology pamphlet for five Marks, back in the day when five Mark was still a considerable amount of money, even more for little me. I was in pain and on my way back from having holes drilled into my teeth for seemingly no reason at all, and I could barely talk due to anesthetics, and ffs I was a kid. But noooo, he had to talk to me for like fifteen minutes just because he managed to ambush me when I waited for the light to turn green to cross the street like a good boy. And after all of that, after aaaaaall of that, he tried to "scam" me out of five motherloving Mark. Seriously, it was a tiny pamphlet, in color admittedly, but still, five Mark could easily net you a McD Happymeal, or some comics, or more than five of these styrofoam plane things I loved as a kid. I was sure the cunt was trying to rip me off.
Decided then and there that I didn't like them very much.

Ryan_

Yeah, exactly. Also, she seemed like a nice person. I know of course that it is in fact a criminal orginsation etc. but it is not my place to tell her what to do or what to believe.
She literally said she believed in it because it worked for her. It's hard to argue with someone who has such blind faith in what she is advocating.

Mostly though, I felt pity for her.

These fuckers are doing recruitment near my uni under the guise of 'stress test'. Their target are clearly those stressed out international students. I want to warn them not to get fooled but I don't want to come across as the crazies.

When I told a friend of mine, he also asked me if I had to take a test. What does this entail exactly?

Ryan_

Hehe, i'll be on a little vacation at our fantastic sea shore in 2 weeks, maybe i'll hop in :)

Haha, awesome. I'll be on vacation myself starting from 10th of August but if
you're here before that. Drop in! Always happy to meet some fellow gaffers.
We could get a beer!

Sorry but:

images85b5n.jpg

Shouldn't have given her the email. Gives her a follow up opportunity. If she comes back, run.

warthog

Good to know, I'll have to remember to bring my GAF-membership card then.

Haven't encountered anyone of scientology yet. There's this scientology-place in Mechelen that I walk by sometimes though. I get a bad vibe from it, but on the other hand I want to have a look what it's all about. And no, they wouldn't convince me in any of that stuff.

Ryan_

Good to know, I'll have to remember to bring my GAF-membership card then.

Haven't encountered anyone of scientology yet. There's this scientology-place in Mechelen that I walk by sometimes though. I get a bad vibe from it, but on the other hand I want to have a look what it's all about. And no, they wouldn't convince me in any of that stuff.

You are very welcome! In the school year, I work every sunday.
25% reduction if you're a GAFfer. You will have to pose as my cousin, brother, aunt, sister, whatever. :p

Is it still in the Landshuter Allee in Neuhausen, between Nymphenburger and Blutenburgstrasse? I grew up nearby, a friend lived in the same house as them and later on I'd walk by them on my way to school. Veeeery creepy, but at the same time very unassuming. Or is it the one near Münchner Freiheit? I believe they have a bunch of nests hidden away all over Munich.
the one at the Münchener Freiheit is the one I am referring to, wasn't aware they had multiple nests... :-/
But I have heard that they have many members from higher echelons of power from various large companies in Munich, and there are many large influential companies in Munich.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
If you speak with her again, ask her how she feels about the death of Lisa McPhereson.

Dude Abides

Banned
the one at the Münchener Freiheit is the one I am referring to, wasn't aware they had multiple nests... :-/
But I have heard that they have many members from higher echelons of power from various large companies in Munich, and there are many large influential companies in Munich.

Isn't Scientology verboten in Deutschland?

Kinyou

When I told a friend of mine, he also asked me if I had to take a test. What does this entail exactly?
I hear that it's basically like psycho therapy. You're also connected to that device, the e-meter, which is essentially just a very basic lie detector. Then the scientology guy will start asking you all sorts of questions, digging deeper whenever the e-meter registers something.

From what I've heard can it also be dangerous since none of the scientology guys are psychologists, so it's possible that they dig up some deeply hidden trauma and then have no idea how to handle it.

Oersted

Isn't Scientology verboten in Deutschland?

No. They try but it isn´t. They are not allowed to teach their stuff in public-schools like Christianity, Judaism and more and more Islam, and they are not allowed to collect taxes, but they are not forbidden.

Dude Abides

Banned
I hear that it's basically like psycho therapy. You're also connected to that device, the e-meter, which is essentially just a very basic lie detector. Then the scientology guy will start asking you all sorts of questions, digging deeper whenever the e-meter registers something.

From what I've heard can it also be dangerous since none of the scientology guys are psychologists, so it's possible that they dig up some deeply hidden trauma and then have no idea how to handle it.

It's just a Wheatstone bridge. It measures the electrical conductivity of your body. I suppose that could somewhat correlate with lying - e.g. If your hands get sweatier when you lie.

Thanks for the correction re legal status in Germany guys.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

There have been a ton of mormons roaming Ghent lately.

Kinyou

It's just a Wheatstone bridge. It measures the electrical conductivity of your body. I suppose that could somewhat correlate with lying - e.g. If your hands get sweatier when you lie.

Thanks for the correction re legal status in Germany guys.
Ah, so even more basic than I thought.

The prices for that thing are unbelievable
Wikipedia said:
Today, models of the E-meter include the Mark V, the Mark VI and the Mark VII. As of January 2005, the cost of the Mark V was $900 and the Mark VII Super Quantum E-meter was $4,650.00

We have scientologists in Belgium? Amazing. :lol

You don't debate someone who is a criminal. You tell them to leave and don't come back. If a gang member entered your place of employment you wouldn't engage in a debate about the merits of gang life. You'd tell them to leave because they aren't welcome there.

You sound like an person who is not nice in real life, or maybe it's just the internet persona taking over. He handled it fine, he was friendly and rejected them as he did not wish for any further talk or inquiry. If they push further without you wanting, then you could begin becoming more of an asshole like you're proposing.

And LOL @ at the gang member/scientology member comparison.

daycru

Scientology is absolutely a criminal enterprise, ask people like Paulette Cooper who they tried to pin a bomb threat on for writing a critical article. Ask ex execs like Marty Rathbun and Mike Rinder who are stalked mercilessly. Individual Scientologists might not be bad, but what the church they represent? It's reprehensible.

I took the scientologist exam, than they gave me a cute girl to evaluate the results with. She was cute as hell, somewhere in it all she said "No one's perfect", and I said except ron howard right ?

She actually never thought of it that way. I wish I saved her and we ran away together.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I took the scientologist exam, than they gave me a cute girl to evaluate the results with. She was cute as hell, somewhere in it all she said "No one's perfect", and I said except ron howard right ?

She actually never thought of it that way. I wish I saved her and we ran away together.

What does Opie Taylor have to do with anything?

And LOL @ at the gang member/scientology member comparison.

Actually, it's pretty apt. They just have more overpriced shit from Radio Shack.

I hear that it's basically like psycho therapy.

Haha, say that to one of them. They'll start trying to shoot mind bullets at you. (They can do that, you know). Ron decided that psychologists were history's greatest monsters, on account of they could disprove the stuff he was making up off the top of his head (and offer better results for way cheaper).

Just as likely they'll use it to extract more money. Especially if they uncover that you're gay. You'd never want that getting out, now would you? But we can address that engram...

I lived across the street from the new, huge Scientology center here in Denver. I can barely walk out of my house without someone trying to talk to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom