• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justice League - Comic-Con Sneak Peek

That was our boy Hopeman.

dzHx5Os.jpg

PowderedToast

Well I remember reading this film was mostly soundstage because Zack said it was a hassle to film on location. You know, closing off streets and all that.

Can't post link since I'm on mobile
thanks for the info.

you can definitely tell. the change in cinematographer makes it more obvious compared to larry fong's sensibilities - bvs never really takes place at daylight or afternoon. It's heavily stylised as either dawn, dusk or night with really deep blacks

hopefully the film's lighter tone and style supports the more comic book artifice of the soundstage but I have my doubts

Well I remember reading this film was mostly soundstage because Zack said it was a hassle to film on location. You know, closing off streets and all that.

Can't post link since I'm on mobile

Ahhhh that explains the CGI overdose and fake-looking environments, on top of the color saturation and vaseline filters. Another reason I don't feel good watching his movies.

knew people were gonna cry about his truck again lol. should have thrown him into space tbh.

also I'm sure he has insurance, can claim that as some freak natural disaster accident I'm sure. maybe they'll give him a scene where he files it with the company in Justice League after credits.

The Hologram or w/e that Bruce is looking at, with the red cape. Is that Supes, or someone's else? The red cape makes me think it could only be Supes, and that certainly fits the storyline, but the leg almost looks like a woman's.

Finaika

The Hologram or w/e that Bruce is looking at, with the red cape. Is that Supes, or someone's else? The red cape makes me think it could only be Supes, and that certainly fits the storyline, but the leg almost looks like a woman's.

Supergirl.

...I hope.

Its kinda funny that people are still hung up about the truck

Its like, a Sexist Creep gets punished and everyone like 'bu but his livelihood'

I honestly dont know why people criticise it, considering it is based on a classic Superman moment aswell

Yo

It's Superman

If it's not Superman good on them

But stop trying to meander your way towards a different conclusion

I agree. And I'm chuckling at everyone who thinks the end scene is anyone but Supes. I just had a gut reaction when I first watched the trailer that the leg on that hologram didn't look like Superman, but I'm not really expecting any surprise reveals of other characters.

anaron

When this scene happen, I was thinking Clark would just turn his truck upside down or make it stuck on a tree.

Nope, totally destroyed it. Everyone in my theater was dead quiet even though that scene was clearly played for laugh.
"I would've done the same!!"

Like, sure - but that's not Superman.

Bleepey

I think he should destroy his truck for that. Totally a measured and reasonable response.

My Superman would have picked the fight with the dude, kicked the shit out of this dude all over the diner and but vandalism is OK if you pay for it and quip!

How did you listen to this? I'm four and a half minute in and this guy's explaining a joke.

He (over) analyses the themes of the DCEU. If you like the films of the DCEU you'll love his analyses, if you are open to looking at them differently you may change your mind, if you hate them it's a guy chatting bollocks for 30mins -3hrs an episode.

Effect

Its kinda funny that people are still hung up about the truck

Its like, a Sexist Creep gets punished and everyone like 'bu but his livelihood'

I honestly dont know why people criticise it, considering it is based on a classic Superman moment aswell

I will never understand some people's issues with that sequence. That's one of those things that make me question someone actually claiming to be a Superman fan when they have issue with that. Even if you just watched the Reeves films in those he's not above using his powers to get back at some people. Not hurting the person is one thing but screw objects. The only conclusion I can come to is that people were looking for reasons to dislike MoS and they settled on that thing to hit. Ignore how horrible of a person the trucker is. No Clark is bad and Snyder is bad for having him destroy the truck in an amazing display of power. That's a show don't tell moment of just how powerful he is. I thought we were suppose to want those type of scenes.

Also anyone talking about the truckers job. Insurance. Jackass would have been fine.

I will never understand some people's issues with that sequence. That's one of those things that make me question someone actually claiming to be a Superman when they have issue with that. Even if you just watched the Reeves films in those he's not above using his powers to get back at some people. Not hurting the person is one thing but screw objects.

Also anyone talking about the truckers job. Insurance. Jackass would have been fine.

Yeah, I mean.. Y'all watched that scene recently? Dude doesn't just make a sexist comment, he sexually harasses the waitress, and arguably sexually assaults that woman by grabbing her ass, and then grabbing her wrist as she attempts to pull away, stopping her from being able to do so. He seems like a pretty vile dude.

Veelk

Banned
When this scene happen, I was thinking Clark would just turn his truck upside down or make it stuck on a tree.

Nope, totally destroyed it. Everyone in my theater was dead quiet even though that scene was clearly played for laugh.

My audience laughed at that, but I think it underlies a bigger problem of Superman's morality.

Superman confronted that guy because he was sexually harassing a waitress at the restaurant. He cannot just throw him out though. Why? Well, because army guys were in the restaurant and he can't be seen using his super strength. It's kinda wierd because the guy in question is this pudgy truck driver and Henry Cavill is this huge ass dude. I mean, you can see in the gif that he's half a head taller than the trucker. Poor guy has to reach up to pour that beer over his head. Like, that trucker has some balls to try and bully a guy twice his size.

But whatever, Superman leaves. As revenge, he decides to trash his truck. Not just trash his truck, but use a bunch of telephone pulls to skewer it. And I have to ask you to consider how stupid this is. First off, he specifically couldn't risk starting a fight in case his accidentally shows his super strength to the army dudes, even though he easily looks like a guy who could kick the truckers ass. So instead he creates a disaster scene that nobody except someone with super strength could do. And apparently the army dudes don't notice the giant skewered truck.

Also, one has to ask how he managed to accomplish this without anyone seeing or hearing it, because the guy was pretty shocked to see it. You'd think something like spearing a telephone pole through a truck would make a bit of noise. And if you really want to be nitty gritty about it, the city is going to have to pay to replace those telephone poles, so he's also financially costing citizens in his petty revenge.

But all this to say is: What about the waitress? He basically left her with a douchebag that is comfortable grabbing her ass. Well, there's nothing stopping him from continuing to do it now. Personally, he seems like the type of shitbag that would feel emboldened to do it more having sent a bigger guy scurrying off after he tried to stop him, but that's just my interpretation of his character.

So in the end, Superman's response to the trucker is disproportionate, costs innocent third parties money to fix it, we have no reason to think it actually solved the problem that forced Superman to act in the first place, and probably all could have been handled if he just thrown the guy out like the bouncer he looks like he is. What kind of morality is this? Other than retribution for a guy taunting him, what right thing has been accomplished? None that I can see. He was just angry, so he committed an act of pointless destruction. The trucker is going to suffer now, but he's not even gonna know why this has happened, so it's not like he even knows he's being punished for being a grade A douchenozzle.

Yeah, I mean.. Y'all watched that scene recently? Dude doesn't just make a sexist comment, he sexually harasses the waitress, and arguably sexually assaults that woman by grabbing her ass, and then grabbing her wrist as she attempts to pull away, stopping her from being able to do so. He seems like a pretty vile dude.
People hate this Superman so much they're willing to defend a guy committing sexual assualt.

Effect

Casting would've been announced if it was anything beyond a tiny cameo.

Given how leaky WB seems to be I think so as well. If WB ran a tighter ship then maybe they could pull something like that off. Unless the only people on set that day were Snyder, the unknown person (if it's someone other then Superman), Irons and the only people that see the footage are the CEO (they look at dailies I believe), editor, Snyder, and now Whedon. That's a small enough group to keep it quit if it's someone unknown but I doubt it's anyone but Superman.

It's not Supergirl.

Why would it be Supergirl.

Here's your first hint it's not Supergirl:

You think Supergirl would be wearing pants in a Snyder-designed film?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
So people think that Superman is going to come back from the dead, go off to help the League fight Steppenwolf, and then Supergirl is going to show up to save the day? Come on lol. Stop playing.

The Hermit

Man of Steel theme being used in the back half of the trailer.

Totally suits the Justice League

The whole "hope is dead" news feel so weird.

This could be a good movie, but everything Superman related in this universe is shit.

The rest could be ok, but I don't know. Introducing 2 or more new characters in 1 movie is worrying after Suicide Squad.

Alienous

Of course it's Supergirl. Steppenwolf's 'No Kryptonians' line shouldn't make sense. The DCEU would introduce a character that doesn't have an upcoming film, or an actress cast to portray her.

Fuck Ockham's razor. Skinny legs means that, despite not being able to keep a secret for BvS, they've managed to hide the inclusion of Supergirl entirely.

"No Kryptonian"

singular.

(of course anyone who wants to believe there's a Supergirl in this would then say "but the swerve is that he said there wasn't one kryptonian, and then TWO show up, hah!")

(also if there was actually a Supergirl in the movie there is zero chance WB wouldn't have already a) announced her casting and b) put her film on the docket so everyone can see there's a Supergirl film coming)

BadAss2961

first you guys make fun of his hairline now its his girly legs?!!

let the man live.
The brief shot of that hologram does look girly. Could be a Supergirl tease.

Clearly not Supergirl at the end though. Looks like Irons is talking to someone about eye level with him. Also would've heard about casting.

It's obviously going to be Superman. lol

Veelk

Banned
"No Kryptonian"

singular.

(of course anyone who wants to believe there's a Supergirl in this would then say "but the swerve is that he said there wasn't one kryptonian, and then TWO show up, hah!")

(also if there was actually a Supergirl in the movie there is zero chance WB wouldn't have already a) announced her casting and b) put her film on the docket so everyone can see there's a Supergirl film coming)

She might just not be getting a film like how Black Widow and Hawkeye don't get movies.

It's not supergirl, I know. But speculation is fun, so why shut it down?

FeD.nL

I still wonder which character Michael Mcelhatton is playing. Afaik the only thing we know for certain is that he's part of the opening battle.

vio

This Superman belongs to the generation that were raised with South Park. Such reaction is normal.

She might just not be getting a film like how Black Widow and Hawkeye don't get movies.

It's not supergirl, I know. But speculation is fun, so why shut it down?

Because it's bad speculation? Apparently based on people's confidence in being able to discern gender based on the shape of a hologram's calves, at that.

Veelk

Banned
Because it's bad speculation? Apparently based on people's confidence in being able to discern gender based on the shape of a hologram's calves, at that.

Fair enough, but that begs the question: What would be good speculation? The trailers don't give us much to work with, so what is there to speculate about that we have any kind of solid grounding on?

Top Bottom