• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justice League Heroes IGN Review. DC heroes just can't catch a break...

Though it has some serious issues with game balance and tends to get a bit monotonous, JLH is enjoyable in short spurts. The story is good and the unlockable costumes are pretty cool. The core of the game works well. In fact, if you just admired it from afar, you might mistake JLH for a great game. But the level design is as basic and uninspired as it can get and the enemies are just an endless throng of nameless robots and Martians. Had JLH come out four years ago, it would likely receive high praise. But this is 2006 and the swan song of the current-gen consoles is upon us. There's no excuse in failing to deliver a bigger and more innovative experience.
*sigh*

When are we going to get a genuinely GOOD game based on DC Comics? ...Starved as I am for a DC game, I'm still getting it. But how in god's name could you make FREAKING BATMAN USELESS?!?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Surprisingly, Zatanna is the most potent character in the game. In all honesty, I could beat the whole game with her alone. She can heal, cast an over-powered fire attack at low cost (when leveled up) and can turn 95% of all enemies into harmless rabbits. Sadly, the most popular DC character, Batman, is easily the most useless and joyless character you can select. Even Aquaman is more fun to play. Part of this comes from a reliance on the powers to make combat enjoyable. Batman's powers, such as calling in a fleet of bats, just don't cut it.

WTF? Ok I see I'm going to have to put a hit out on Snowblind.... sure it's always been weird when you think about it that(or at least I thought about it) Batman is in the JLA... especially when they go out to fight stuff... like a giant Flaming martian... but he's smart dammit!!!!

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
The Take Out Bandit said:
Make?

He is, monkeyboy.

The only reason to have anybody on the team besides Superman is for T&A. Wonder Woman, Powergirl, Etc. Etc. Etc.

BURN IN HELL YOU 5$#^($#^$# HEATHEN!!!

GCQuinton

No love for "the most dangerous man on earth" at all. Crazy. The general lack of press this game has gotten already threw up a red flag for me, but I'm still gonna try it out.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Wait, I never even HEARD of this game. This was supposed to be a DC take on XMen Legends, and they totally ****ed it up? LAME. :(

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
So what's the real problem with the game?

But the level design is as basic and uninspired as it can get and the enemies are just an endless throng of nameless robots and Martians.

This sounds like all the Champions Of Norrath, Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance, and Untold Legends games. I enjoy playing these games in multiplayer; just mindlessly killing enemies and getting better armor and weapons is fun in bursts of a couple of hours.

Yeah, that's one of the problems inherent with a game of this sort.

You can't have a cast of a thousand named villains; because it simply isn't happening. That would be plenty ridiculous.

Although robots and nameless foes should be more than a ponce like Batman could handle. :lol

GreekWolf

The Take Out Bandit said:
Well I'm sure the Punisher would snipe the shit out of Batman before Superman nails them all with eye lasers from orbit. :p
Yeah, yeah.. all I know is in that 4 issue revisit of the Amalgam Universe, Venom staggered Supes with a symbiotic poison punch and then very nearly choked him to death by cramming the suit down his throat which wrapped itself around his windpipe.

We need more of those crossovers

the Amalgam Universe

Well that's part of the problem.

The other part of the problem is you monkeys entertaining the idea that a guy that can shoot lasers out of his eyeballs, among other amazing powers; would even bother laying hands on your monkey asses.

Which is probably the main thing Millar got right with Red Son. Well that and Supes mercilessly beating Batbrat's ass. :p

Pimpbaa

Marvel Alliance FTW? This sucks, I was expecting this to be great. Guess Snowblind is losing their touch.

If Captain Marvel can kick Superman's ass, then Thor can wipe the floor with him. I hate Superman fanbois. I'd like to see him dodge the Surfer's board.

Lyte Edge

Pimpbaa said:
Marvel Alliance FTW? This sucks, I was expecting this to be great. Guess Snowblind is losing their touch.

I dunno; I still don't buy it. If IGN is complaining it's more of the same, okay fine, but these types of games always have tons of nameless enemies to mow down, and level design isn't really a factor when the whole point is to just keep on killing.

I'm more interested in a Snowblind-developed game than games by other developers; that Marvel game looks pretty crappy too IMO.

EDIT: This is coming out for the PSP too?

Lyte: Yeah for some dumb reason they're a couple weeks later though. >:|

If Captain Marvel can kick Superman's ass, then Thor can wipe the floor with him.

Oh, I'm hardly a Superman fanboy. Just pushing your buttons, and revelling in the fact that when it comes down to it; Superman is pretty much all you need. :p

I wonder though, is Thor considered a "magic" character? That's the reason Cap'n Marvel whupped on Supes. Weak against magic.

So back to plan A: eye lasers from orbit. Take them out before they knew what hit them. :D

Hmmm I wonder - what's the area of affect? Because if you have to be in his "personal space" so to speak, well - eye lasers. :p

Then again, the image of David Blane kicking Superman's ass is funny and sad. But hey, if Batman can aspire to it; then surely David Blane can accomplish it.

lololol

Pimpbaa

Lyte Edge said:
I dunno; I still don't buy it. If IGN is complaining it's more of the same, okay fine, but these types of games always have tons of nameless enemies to mow down, and level design isn't really a factor when the whole point is to just keep on killing.

I'm more interested in a Snowblind-developed game than games by other developers; that Marvel game looks pretty crappy too IMO.

EDIT: This is coming out for the PSP too?

Yeah but Marvel Alliance is being made by Raven who made x-men legends 1 and 2. I'm not totally dismissing Justic League just yet tho, waiting on more reviews.

Lyte Edge

Pimpbaa said:
Yeah but Marvel Alliance is being made by Raven who made x-men legends 1 and 2. I'm not totally dismissing Justic League just yet tho, waiting on more reviews.

I wasn't that big on the X-Men Legends games. Same with Baldur's Gate DA II. I really like Snowblind's games and generally don't go for anything else, although I thought Untold Legends 1 and 2 were good.

Well, it has to be better than the DS version:

180212l2-c82.jpg

180212l3-daa.jpg

180212l4-134.jpg

It's from Sensory Sweep. They developed two of the worst, ugliest DS games to date (NFS: Most Wanted and Marvel Nemesis), and this looks like another addition to that list.

Lyte Edge

kaching said:
Yeah, a month later. Not sure who is responsible for that version.

IGN has four pics up of the PSP version. Doesn't look too bad in comparison to the consoles; it shows Supergirl and Black Canary (is she in the console versions?).

Link316

Banned
Lyte Edge said:
IGN has four pics up of the PSP version. Doesn't look too bad in comparison to the consoles; it shows Supergirl and Black Canary (is she in the console versions?).

nope, they're both exclusive to the PSP version which is kinda stupid since this game could use a bigger roster

Busty

Banned
I'm sure that SOE will create the ultimate DC Comics video game with their upcoming MMO for PS3, PC and PSP.... right.....right....?

-Total silence- ... -quietly slips out of thread while everyone is drunk-

- slips into night-

ethelred

Father_Brain said:
Well, it has to be better than the DS version:

180212l2-c82.jpg

180212l3-daa.jpg

180212l4-134.jpg

It's from Sensory Sweep. They developed two of the worst, ugliest DS games to date (NFS: Most Wanted and Marvel Nemesis), and this looks like another addition to that list.

I just threw up a little bit inside my mouth.

ethelred

Pimpbaa said:
Your use of this stupid overused catch phrase made me throw up a little bit inside my mouth.

It wasn't usage of a catchphrase. I really did feel my lunch come up. It was pretty bad.

tenchir

Guess no one really read comics anymore if they think Superman can beat anyone from Marvel, you guys haven't heard of Sentry?

Pimpbaa

ethelred said:
It wasn't usage of a catchphrase. I really did feel my lunch come up. It was pretty bad.

Hate to see what would happen if you seen a half decayed maggot infested corpse...then again that would be pretty close to disgustingness of these DS pics.

ethelred

Pimpbaa said:
Hate to see what would happen if you seen a half decayed maggot infested corpse...then again that would be pretty close to disgustingness of these DS pics.

Oh, I've seen those. No physical reaction whatsoever.

Grayman

Sounds like a rental to try first if you are a DC fan. If you are a marvel fan it's a "thank god we have the better game"

Top Bottom