• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT6| Thank You for Love

Tiny-G's Mint solo debut on April 14th.
yjkK62m.jpg

What the hell happened to her face? ANyway, I don't see her chances of making it as particularly good. Aside from not being Korean, I don't remember her being particularly talented. Jmin was the talented one. Speaking of Tiny-G, what has Dohee been up to these days?

Love it.

roaSone

I've been trying to avoid all the Produce 101 stuff until today, which was maybe the hardest thing I ever had to achieve.
Spoilers were literally EVERYWHERE.
I'm completely fine with all the members,
even Sohye
, glad Chungha managed to get the nation's producers hearts as we were approaching the finale !
I'm really looking forward to what kind of song they'll debut with, so far I liked their "Girl Crush" genre the most. But I think they can actually pull-off any genres.

Pendulum

I'm really looking forward to what kind of song they'll debut with, so far I liked their "Girl Crush" genre the most. But I think they can actually pull-off any genres.

In addition to the group name suggestion, there was public voting on which concept (cute, pure, sexy, and unique) they should debut with. It was announced in ep 11 that "unique" won, which I think you could probably equate with "Girl Crush" ("Like Ooh-Ahh", "Dumb Dumb Dumb" and "Rum Pum Pum" were used as "unique" examples).

---

JYP's "Still Alive" got uploaded to the JYPE YouTube with subs.

---

Jackson x Shin Dong Yup OTP

Oh I didn't know 'unique' won, well that genre probably suits them the most. As flawless as 'In the same place' is, that genre would probably be a bit boring considering so many groups are doing it and only few stand out. Unless they did something super flawless like Closer or After School's Shampoo.

roaSone

In addition to the group name suggestion, there was public voting on which concept (cute, pure, sexy, and unique) they should debut with. It was announced in ep 11 that "unique" won, which I think you could probably equate with "Girl Crush" ("Like Ooh-Ahh", "Dumb Dumb Dumb" and "Rum Pum Pum" were used as "unique" examples).
Oh really ? I didn't notice that "unique" was referencing to the "Girl Crush" genre, that's great, this fits the majority of the members I think.

Pendulum

Oh really ? I didn't notice that "unique" was referencing to the "Girl Crush" genre, that's great, this fits the majority of the members I think.

I don't think it's a direct correlation, but "Fingertips" was the closest to the songs suggested as "unique" ("Fingertips" even shares the producer of one of those songs). Looking past that, "Yum Yum Yum" did better on that charts than "Fingertips" and could be classified as "unique", but Hip Hop/Girlish Pop are out, and I don't think they'll go with EDM.

I read - unconfirmed - that although the genre is chosen, it's the girls that are voting on their debut song from amongst 25 sent to them (names of producers are not attached, so they don't lean on a bias). Not sure I fully believe that. What management company would leave that decision 100% to rookies.

My boyfriend wanted me to watch Descendants of the Sun. This is my first real foray into K-drama of any kind. Just got done with episode 1. Is it normal for this genre for them to push the romance this hard on the first episode? With the music, it makes it feel like the two leads have already started dating for a while now. Currently am more interested in the side characters and their past drama more than the budding romance of the two leads. Also the military aspect doesn't get all nationalistic does it?

llehuty

J.Y. Park "Fire" feat. Conan O'Brien & Steven Yeun & Jimin Park Official M/V (also Wonder Girls and Twice)

The rest of Conan's Korea show can be watched at http://teamcoco.com/korea - click on the circles at top to change segments.

Lmao, this is really good.

And the song is really catchy.

Edit:Some bonus stuff from the page.

#ConanKorea Outtakes: Behind The Scenes Of Conan's K-Pop Video
They dodged some controversy editing the video in a way that Kim Jong Un doesn't appear in the plane.

Jason Chillemi: The Octopus Whisperer
This is very sweet.

And they link this video in one of the clips:
BROWNIE(브라우니) _ BROWNIE(브라우니) MV
No words

Scully

Neo Member
My boyfriend wanted me to watch Descendants of the Sun. This is my first real foray into K-drama of any kind. Just got done with episode 1. Is it normal for this genre for them to push the romance this hard on the first episode? With the music, it makes it feel like the two leads have already started dating for a while now. Currently am more interested in the side characters and their past drama more than the budding romance of the two leads. Also the military aspect doesn't get all nationalistic does it?

I feel like the romance buildup happened faster than in other dramas I've watched. Usually the main couple hates eachother for the first 5-8 episodes and I can't really think of any other drama where the leads made date plans right in the 1st episode. I've only watched the first episode, but yeah, it felt fast. No idea about the military stuff.

jordisok

Yeah the romance definitely does leap ahead of the normal K-drama curve, though as you've probably guessed that's not the end of the story. I've only seen up to about episode 9, but I wouldn't say it gets very nationalistic, if it deals with issues surrounding the military it's kinda on a more individual level. (Don't kill me if I've just tracked this all wrong though :\, not sure I have any understanding of Korean nationalism!)

Most shows take more time to push it but do it in irritating ways to keep the leads apart. Descendants is a straight up romance in military dress, not the other way around so it obviously focuses on that. As said it doesn't really get nationalistic other than the concept that every Korean life is a representation of the country itself (kind of like Leave No Man Behind concept). I know it's super popular in E. Asia at the moment and thus far for pretty good reason terrible English aside so if it ends well it might make other shows harder to watch to be honest. There is always hat dramas though!

That was pretty good! Not sure if I really listened to much Block B before. The 2nd dance didn't really fit into the mv given it was a fast dance in a slow chorus but I know they need it in there for the eventual weekly shows.

This is great - an essay on Oh My Girl's "Closer", includes interviews with the songwriters, choreographer, MV director, stylist. Essays about other songs (Seo Taiji & Boys – “Nan Arayo”, Wonder Girls – “Nobody”, SNSD – “Gee”, 2NE1 – “I Am The Best”) have also been written.

I love reading about the 'behind the scenes' aspects of production, especially how everything comes together to form the whole, coordinated package.

Anyways, I haven't posted on GAF in years but I'm starting afresh. I'm currently wasting my days waiting for the returning of TWICE and sticking up for my trash queen Sohye.

Speaking of JYPark, I was watching the 'Who's Your Mama?' video again and noticed that the main dancer was also featured in TVXQ's 'Spellbound'. Any ideas on who she is?

I feel like the romance buildup happened faster than in other dramas I've watched. Usually the main couple hates eachother for the first 5-8 episodes and I can't really think of any other drama where the leads made date plans right in the 1st episode. I've only watched the first episode, but yeah, it felt fast. No idea about the military stuff.

I'm 3 episodes in and it kinda gets like that now. More drama between them and the relationship is more interesting to follow. But show still needs to lay off the "I loooove youuuuuu" song. I think it's played at least 4 times in an episode.

Yeah the romance definitely does leap ahead of the normal K-drama curve, though as you've probably guessed that's not the end of the story. I've only seen up to about episode 9, but I wouldn't say it gets very nationalistic, if it deals with issues surrounding the military it's kinda on a more individual level. (Don't kill me if I've just tracked this all wrong though :\, not sure I have any understanding of Korean nationalism!)

I'm only wondering because I haven't seen much modern military stuff from Korea. Mostly period pieces. Stuff from China is incredibly nationalistic though. Like if Michael Bay had even less subtlety.

I know it's super popular in E. Asia at the moment and thus far for pretty good reason terrible English aside so if it ends well it might make other shows harder to watch to be honest. There is always hat dramas though!

I actually find the english fine from the Korean actors so far. It's when non-Korean actors show up I feel the urge to look away. Their acting is not great.

Pendulum

That's her alright!

Has she been in anything else that's gone under my radar?

EDIT: I'm see 4 Walls for f(x) on her insta.

Here you go. Juhee (previously known as GOAT Backup Dancer until we found her Instagram) has also been on many SM stages (music shows and concerts). You noted f(x) - she was involved in all the 4 Walls promotions and also the Japanese concerts.

Is that Taeyeon or Jisook?
Not even trolling
Yeah, that's Jisook. lol

joHGqkG.jpg

Top Bottom