• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kaz Hirai: We will let Microsoft make the first move

Russell

This is no way in hell PlayStation 4 is launching in 2013. This pretty much confirms it.

Think about it like this:

PlayStation 3 was unveiled at E3 in May 2005, yet the system didn't launch until November 2006.

I'd do the same thing, let others reveal their shit and then you can respond accordingly. Although at this point MS would have finalized their box so they won't be one upping you.

Its not like GT5 revealing too early and Forza stealing some of its stuff like Top Gears license.

PSY・S;46703772 said:
"No one knows definitely when Microsoft and Sony will UNVEIL their successors to the current Xbox and PlayStation, but Sony CEO Kazuo Hirai has said that it will let Microsoft make the first move.

In the Business section of The Times today, Hirai said, "Why go first, when your competitors can look at your specifications and come up with something better?""

Unveil first, guys, UNVEIL. NOT LAUNCH FIRST.
Some of us are a bit skeptical of game journalist's accuracy when paraphrasing, and not providing a quote in context

Anybody got a copy of the times?

yeah right. refer back to this when ps4 is announced first in late march.

also, consoles take years in lead times, there isnt time to change much of anything unless you want a year delay. maybe clocks a little bit.

i-Lo

kenshiro_1920x1200nj0f.jpg

shidy4ars.png

Kafel

Banned
It worked really well this gen Kaz.

PS4 in 2014 when all the devs tend to say they prefer to develop on the 720 ? Smart.

aparisi2274

Hirai said, "Why go first, when your competitors can look at your specifications and come up with something better?"

Really Kaz??

So, the Move was just something completely original, and not taken from the Wiimote?

Rumors suggesting that the PS4 will move away from the DS and over to something with a tablet screen in it? Oh, like the WiiU Gamepad?

Come on Kaz, be original!!

Kouriozan

What? They are copying Nintendo once again?
joking ;)
It's always the same thing, the fear to be copied and made better, like the AR on 3DS.

i don't think he means so SONY can change their specs, i think he just means keeping MS from changing THEIRS. MS might be dumb enough or have the cash to last minute change their hardware and risk another RROD fiasco but sony won't/can't do it. (aside from the 2GB increase that supposedly happened last year, but that's still just rumor and unconfirmed)

noffles

Banned
Really Kaz??

So, the Move was just something completely original, and not taken from the Wiimote?

Rumors suggesting that the PS4 will move away from the DS and over to something with a tablet screen in it? Oh, like the WiiU Gamepad?

Come on Kaz, be original!!

This generation is going to be a complete shit up if there's no standardised control method. Saying that Sony's copying Nintendo for the sake of it is just naive.

Akkad

Banned
It worked really well this gen Kaz.

PS4 in 2014 when all the devs tend to say they prefer to develop on the 720 ? Smart.

Just stop. That had to do with the 360 architecture being easier to work with than PS3, not launch date.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
OK, IGN's being a bit leading in presenting the context as relating specifically to MS.

I have the original article in front of me.

It says

"Gamers, meanwhile, are waiting for the release of its next generation of consoles, six years after Playstation 3 was launched - although Mr. Hirai hinted that Sony would wait for the likes of Microsoft and Nintendo to make the first move. "Why go first, when your competitors can look at your specifications and come up with something better?""

This is the same generic-y answer Jack Tretton gave last E3 about being best, not first. The context is Nintendo too, not necessarily Microsoft alone.

BadWolf

OK, IGN's being a bit leading in presenting the context as relating specifically to MS.

It says

"Gamers, meanwhile, are waiting for the release of its next generation of consoles, six years after Playstation 3 was launched - although Mr. Hirai hinted that Sony would wait for the likes of Microsoft and Nintendo to make the first move. "Why go first, when your competitors can look at your specifications and come up with something better?""

This is the same generic-y answer Jack Tretton gave last E3 about being best, not first. The context is Nintendo too, not necessarily Microsoft alone.

Pass, this version won't fuel as much hate.

Shouldnt Sony and MS both already know what the other is going to have?

I mean its not hard to see someone like Epic having both dev kits before ANYONE and Microsoft using there relationship with Epic to get a peak of the PS4.

I am sure sony could do the same with some other studio.

Elios83

It's just a PR-answer to avoid talking about unannounced products.
IGN is turning it into something else to get hits.

Bgamer90

Banned
PSY・S;46703772 said:
"No one knows definitely when Microsoft and Sony will UNVEIL their successors to the current Xbox and PlayStation, but Sony CEO Kazuo Hirai has said that it will let Microsoft make the first move.

In the Business section of The Times today, Hirai said, "Why go first, when your competitors can look at your specifications and come up with something better?""

Unveil first, guys, UNVEIL. NOT LAUNCH FIRST.

Good point.

We'll see though.

I know that Sony likes to unveil products/games a pretty long time before they actually release.

The PS3 was unveiled back in 2005 but didn't come out until late 2006.

It says

Well, the Wii U's already out. Only one left now is Microsoft. I think it's pretty obvious he's referring to them. The "and Nintendo" was inferred by the author.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
There's a couple of other more general, interesting notes in the article. Hirai talks openly about replacing everyone in senior management when he came, except for two people. 'Where I come from, either you play under my rules or you are not playing. That's why reassignments happen. Everybody plays nicely together now because they all understand what the rules are". The report also says that he apparently demands to see almost every product the company makes, unboxed, so he can experience it as a customer does, and sends products back if he's not happy with them.

I said before that Sony needed maybe a little bit of a dictator to just come in and order things to be done, and maybe he is that person...

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Lets not forget the allegations that the Sony funded work at IBM on CELL directly benefited the 360's chip design, seems to me that this time the boot's on the other foot.

Kyon

Banned
There's a couple of other more general, interesting notes in the article. Hirai talks openly about replacing everyone in senior management when he came, except for two people. 'Where I come from, either you play under my rules or you are not playing. That's why reassignments happen. Everybody plays nicely together now because they all understand what the rules are". The report also says that he apparently demands to see almost every product the company makes, unboxed, so he can experience it as a customer does, and sends products back if he's not happy with them.

I said before that Sony needed maybe a little bit of a dictator to just come in and order things to be done, and maybe he is that person...

Just finished reading and yes you're right. I believe he is IT. This is who they needed to lead

Hrothgar

So Sony will unveil the PS4 after they've put it in the shops? That's certainly going to catch the competition by surprise!

Top Bottom