• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Keeping it Retail - Let's Get Physical (copies of our games)

Persona7

Banned
Does anyone know of any other wiiware games that are on a disk? I wish the konami rebirth games would have been released in a compilation.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I actually did work for Electronics Boutique from '88 to '90.

This thread is awesome. If there was a way for me to have physical XBLA/PSN/WiiWare games I'd be all over that shit.

Edit: if I burn an XBLA game to a disc, will the full gamw launch if I'm signed on to xbox live and own the game digitally?

ExoSoul

Banned
Do you think your console will live forever?
Will you always want to play those games.

If you want a really future proof measure get digital drm free copies for PC, you're not bound to a specific machine and it shall live forever.

If you want a really future proof measure get digital drm free copies for PC, you're not bound to a specific machine and it shall live forever.
If I have a physical copy, I can likely replace the hardware and stick my physical games back in. With your "rules," I'm limiting myself to a very narrow list of games and a bunch of old shovelware.

goldenpp72

I own over 3000 physical games and quite a few digital on the 360, I fear one day that Xbox live will be disabled on 360 and I will no longer be able to redownload them in the event of console failure, yet aside real disasters I feel i can access my physical stuff forever.. And if it did go away, could be repurchased at least.

With so many games being delisted, services being taken down, etc, it's a real shame people seem to so happily embrace cloud services and streaming, but I guess i'm old.

Physical is always first choice for console games. With PC games we don't have much of a choice anymore though. I don't enjoy waiting 12 hours to play games or managing hard drive space, so I can't understand people who are so eager for the "digital future."

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Dishonored did this so well, the GOTY edition had everything on the disc. No codes or patch bullshit.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
That was the lawful good version

Yeah. Pre preorders, pre preowned, pre bullcrap. Good times, high school. Feel sorry for the kids in there these days.

I got some old Power PC software and Classic Mac stuff that begs to differ. All it takes is a change in the favored processor to change the nature of "forever."

That said, a DRM-free download and installer from gog.com, for example, is future-proof in that the service, labor, and concern of keeping a game updated running on new OS's is addressed financially by sales of the old game. Plus, you can burn 'em to disk, which is nice.

And since PC games ship broken and incomplete now, having an initial PC retail disc can be a drag since all of the patches necessary to make the thing work need to be downloaded. Actually, true of consoles this last gen, too.

Apologies for the necro-bump, but I thought I'd add some new titles to the topic for other potential collectors out there looking for physical releases.

North American Re-Releases and/or Expansions:
  • Borderlands: The Handsome Collection (PS4/XONE) -- Remasters of the second installment and the Pre-Sequel! with all DLC stuff.
  • Deception IV: The Nightmare Princess (PS4) -- New "Quest Mode" and stage variety.
  • Devil May Cry: Definitive Edition (PS4/XONE) -- Bundles previously released DLC material with new gameplay modes and a notable remaster treatment [1080p; 60fps; rebalanced mechanics]. Faint censoring of dialogue present for a single cutscene.
  • Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster (PS4) -- Collects pretty much every variation of these two titles with a complete rebuild of the visuals. Multiple editions are available for the game and this port features an option for the original soundtrack unlike the PS3/Vita.
Foreign Imports:
  • Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition (PS4; Asia) -- English voice acting and subtitles with three new playable characters from the vanilla release.
  • Hotline Miami: Collected Edition (PS4/Vita; Japan) -- English subtitles and presumably no censorship of the violence; however, Hotline Miami 2 is simply a downloadable voucher.
  • Resident Evil HD Remaster (PS3; Asia) -- Features full English support in the voice acting, subtitles, manual and cover art.
Upcoming Re-Releases:

Top Bottom