• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus: Uprising website updates and Palutena Tweets

backlot

More than that, the 3D effect straight up wouldn't work on the completely solid colored backgrounds of the original. I'd been trying to figure out how they'd get around that.

I understand why they did it. I just feel like, if they were gonna make such a huge change anyway, that time and effort might have been better put into a full on remake. Do a Bionic Commando Rearmed to Uprising's BC '08. Er... except for the part where BC '08 flopped.

Stop jinxing Uprising! Maybe if Uprising does well they will make a more retro styled Kid Icarus at some point. I'd buy it.

You guys do know that the Twitter account‘s name is Palutena because the JP name of the series is something like Palutena‘s Mirror, right?

Haha, that idea of a Twitter version of the Smash dojo would certainly be interesting

The game looks great so far, I‘d say DAY 1 if I wasn‘t sure of my lack of money around that time :(

Btw, is there any date for those anime episodes they announced before?

https://twitter.com/#!/3DS_Palutena/status/174709449766871040
FjR4m.jpg

https://twitter.com/#!/3DS_Palutena/status/174718773146828800
hX4XK.jpg

Jarsonot

More than that, the 3D effect straight up wouldn't work on the completely solid colored backgrounds of the original. I'd been trying to figure out how they'd get around that.

I understand why they did it. I just feel like, if they were gonna make such a huge change anyway, that time and effort might have been better put into a full on remake. Do a Bionic Commando Rearmed to Uprising's BC '08. Er... except for the part where BC '08 flopped.

I respect the fact that they're keeping gameplay the same, just giving it a little visual polish in the background department. I'm really looking forward to it - it's been a long time since I played Kid Icarus. And I played the hell out of it, enough to get the "best" ending, anyway.

I think if they're going to do a remake I'd like to see it given the 2D castlevania DS treatment. Make a whole new game based on the IP, with modern sprites, some upgrades, badass combat, etc. etc. I would eat that up, and it would be a refreshing change of pace from the metroidvanias of the DS (though I loved all of those and hope to see a 3DS version).

This isn't supposed to be exactly like Greek mythology and it doesn't take place in Greece either. It takes place in a made up Nintendo world called Angel Land.

daakusedo

I saw a pic with the golden healing water from the first kid icarus dungeons, but I don't know if dungeons here are mean to be different from outdoor levels.
In the end that's good to see it used, we have also yet to know how to heal from the eggplant wizard.

Tom_Cody

This game is so packed, I'm wondering how they will balance stuff. With so many weapons and abilitites there will probably be major balance issues in single and multiplayer.

Still, can't wait to play this. The character is not that appealing IMO, but the game is definitly looking hot.
Abilities are balanced through a sort of "tetris" system in which more powerful abilities take up more space on a grid.

As explained in the recent muliplayer videos, some weapons are simply more powerful than others and for this reason all weapons are assigned a value. This value ends being the cost of a player's death in multiplayer, so choosing a weapon becomes a risk versus reward proposition. Hopefully these values will be balanced in the future through software updates.

As far as single player, it looks like powerful weapon acquisition functions as the experience system- enabling the player to move onto higher difficulty levels as they gain more powerful.

I love how the weapons are being treated in this. It very much reminds me of Phantasy Star online. I'm sure there will be certain legendary weapons in addition to a great number of randomly generated variations.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Huh. I just saw the trailer for the 3D Classics version of Kid Icarus. And... they're adding backgrounds? Weird. I mean the backgrounds look great, I just find it odd that they're changing stuff about the original game. If they were gonna do that, why not just go all the way and do a full remake? Rebalance the first few levels to not be the hardest in the game, explain and present the multiple experience systems better, let enemies drop health pickups, make it so you can duck on drop-through floors without dropping through them, maybe even include an easy mode that lets the screen scroll back down instead of turning everything below you into a death pit.

I like Kid Icarus, but it could really use a remake to just iron out the quirks that stem from it being an early NES game.

They technically have re-designed a few of the 3D Classics. Excitebike has a re-made wide screen background. Urban Champion is very different than the original. For Kid Icarus there were several "black screen" backgrounds (like several early NES games) that Akira/Nintendo decided they could spruce up without affecting the gameplay. It is pretty awesome and I hope they do it for more games.

But keep it mind. These are all efficient low-budget works. Nintendo is satisfied with the meager returns at this point.

Tom_Cody

They technically have re-designed a few of the 3D Classics. Excitebike has a re-made wide screen background. Urban Champion is very different than the original. For Kid Icarus there were several "black screen" backgrounds (like several early NES games) that Akira/Nintendo decided they could spruce up without affecting the gameplay. It is pretty awesome and I hope they do it for more games.

But keep it mind. These are all efficient low-budget works. Nintendo is satisfied with the meager returns at this point.
Yeah, as with all their downloadable titles they seem to have a very specific and limited budget in mind before they start production. Even Zelda: The Spirit Tracks was mandated to have have a 1 year production schedule. This certainly explains the meager visuals shown in titles like Dillon's Rolling Western and Sakura Samurai.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo9n8Gcqyw0

New video (I think) focusing on the evasion system.

The video depicts Pit dashing through beams, which makes it seem like properly timed evades grant temporary invincibility. Hopefully evasion does not become exploitable mess like wave dashing in SSBM.

If you thought SSBM was bad, check out Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories for the GBA, Sora's dodge roll made him invincible to all attacks for several frames completely breaking any challenge the game had. Nothing in this video makes the dodging mechanic look that OP.

gogojira

Not to get sidetracked, but maybe with Sakurai's level of involvement with Kid Icarus, the franchise will get more love in the next Smash Bros. It'd be nice to see more than just Pit; I'd love to see a playable Eggplant Wizard and an extra stage or two.

Tom_Cody

Not to get sidetracked, but maybe with Sakurai's level of involvement with Kid Icarus, the franchise will get more love in the next Smash Bros. It'd be nice to see more than just Pit; I'd love to see a playable Eggplant Wizard and an extra stage or two.
I think this is a given.

I can't wait to see what is going to come out of this title. I can't help nerding out at the thought that there are going to characters and locals introduced in this that will eventually become obligatory in SSB and nintendo fandom in general. It is great to see a franchise expanded so robustly like this.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/akdj/charactar/index.html#/index/

Tom_Cody

Sorry for spamming this thread, there is just a lot of news incoming.

https://twitter.com/#!/KidIcarusUK/status/174164356098039808/photo/1

It looks like there is a limit to dashing after all. I haven't noticed a stamina gauge anywhere, but I guess they have a way of penalizing you if you just dash continuously.

Question: Does anyone know how you control jumping? This preciously never entered my mind, but I am only just realizing how amazing it is that the game is controlled with the slide pad, the touch screen, and only one button.

backlot

Sorry for spamming this thread, there is just a lot of news incoming.

https://twitter.com/#!/KidIcarusUK/status/174164356098039808/photo/1

It looks like there is a limit to dashing after all. I haven't noticed a stamina gauge anywhere, but I guess they have a way of penalizing you if you just dash continuously.

Question: Does anyone know how you control jumping? This preciously never entered my mind, but I am only just realizing how amazing it is that the game is controlled with the slide pad, the touch screen, and only one button.

I think you can only jump using jump pads at specific locations.

Tom_Cody

I think you can only jump using jump pads at specific locations.
Yeah, it looks like that's it.

It's kind of amazingly bold of Sakurai to omit jumping/flying from the multiplayer and ground sections. This is Kid Icarus afterall. Even in SSBB, most of Pit's gameplay revolved around jumping and gliding.

KevinCow

Banned
Since Sakurai seems to enjoy throwing in references to other Nintendo games, I wonder if we'll get some cameo weapons. Samus's arm cannon seems obvious, Mario's glove could shoot fireballs, the Master Sword, Dedede's hammer. Could be fun.

Neiteio

Since Sakurai seems to enjoy throwing in references to other Nintendo games, I wonder if we'll get some cameo weapons. Samus's arm cannon seems obvious, Mario's glove could shoot fireballs, the Master Sword, Dedede's hammer. Could be fun.
We've already seen some cameo appearances: There are Nintendogs-themed orbitars (two dog paws hovering by Pit's shoulders that cause pawprints to appear onscreen), and an actual Metroid is one of the enemies in the game. Both of these cameos have already been seen in screenshots.

Definitely expect more Kid Icarus characters in Smash Bros. on 3DS and WiiU.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they changed Pit's Final Smash to be the three Sacred Treasures of Light; in one of the trailers for Uprising, we see Pit donning the items to become a golden centurion version of himself, which then does battle with Medusa. Consider it his "Super Saiyan" form. I could easily see this becoming a new Final Smash for him, freeing up Palutena to be her own character, preferably alongside Medusa. Speaking of which, Medusa would be a fantastic character: finally, an evil (and non-blonde!) female character, with no shortage of magic and minions to compose her specials. And her physical attacks could make use of her scepter. It's too perfect, really.

Another Uprising character, Magnus, "the strongest human on Earth," almost seems like he was designed with Smash Bros. in mind. He fights at your side at certain points in Uprising, and was designed as a foil to Pit, strong and masculine with a massive broadsword as his weapon. He would fit a game like Smash Bros. perfectly, as well.

Sakurai clearly went all-out retooling the designs of every existing Kid Icarus character and adding boatloads of new ones. With Uprising, Sakurai has single-handedly created more "new" and "renewed" characters than any other Nintendo game in recent memory. It's like he knows Nintendo has been slacking with characters that could fill out a Smash Bros. roster, so he's making them up himself. :)

Pyrokai

The lack of replies in this thread concerns me. If GAF can't get excited, who can?

Besides myself, that is.

Codeblue

To think that just a few weeks ago people thought this was a weird railshooter with a throwaway multiplayer mode.

The lack of replies in this thread concerns me. If GAF can't get excited, who can?

Besides myself, that is.

Kid Icarus has gotten quite a few micro-threads right?

I've posted in some of them and always look at new ones,
but I tend not to post for the sake of posting, especially
when I've already commented on the game.

I'm super excited for for Kid Icarus though, it's looking great.

@MUWANdo

Banned

Besides myself, that is.

There's nothing much to get excited about, really. I mean, screenshots are nice and all but we've already got a ton of 'em.

I'm hanging out for more info on how the vehicle stuff is gonna work, personally. One of the things I read mentioned something about drifting, and now that Kirby Air Ride is fresh in my mind I'm imagining all sorts of things.

OmegaZero

This looks awesome to me.
Smash Bros. combined with Sin and Punishment.

Six player online multiplayer sounds intriguing as well, considering how they're handling it.

It does make me wonder if this kind of visual quality is what we can expect for SSB3D, though.

This looks awesome to me.
Smash Bros. combined with Sin and Punishment.

Six player online multiplayer sounds intriguing as well, considering how they're handling it.

It does make me wonder if this kind of visual quality is what we can expect for SSB3D, though.

Well, SSB3D won't be displaying a large environment.

KevinCow

Banned
We've already seen some cameo appearances: There are Nintendogs-themed orbitars (two dog paws hovering by Pit's shoulders that cause pawprints to appear onscreen), and an actual Metroid is one of the enemies in the game. Both of these cameos have already been seen in screenshots.

I dunno, the Metroids don't really count. They were in the original game.

And the paw prints seem more like just dog themed orbitars than specifically Nintendogs themed orbitars.

HylianTom

Banned
Thank you for reminding me - I've just preordered on Amazon (I love Prime!), and got another guy at work to do the same.

I have a feeling that the series may well be coming back. If this game is well-received, it's going to be a pretty big deal for Nintendo. Yet another franchise that'll end-up being a cash cow for the big N..

Thank you for reminding me - I've just preordered on Amazon (I love Prime!), and got another guy at work to do the same.

I have a feeling that the series may well be coming back. If this game is well-received, it's going to be a pretty big deal for Nintendo. Yet another franchise that'll end-up being a cash cow for the big N..

Can't wait for the Wii U game that plays like Gears of War.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
This is what I got from a quick translation:

"It also has been suffering from miracle continues to run. Excellent flexibility "claw" 16km fire tactics to take a close race, and I aim to "stick" to take the interval that you use a combination of the three sacred treasures and we want to set."

Wut? Maybe a mode to try/train with your new weapons?

udivision

Then it'll become
"Oh great, another Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Star Fox, Metroid, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Wii ____, Fire Emblem, F-Zero, or Kid Icarus game. Can't Nintendo come up with something new for once?"

Sakurai just loves filling all of his games with content. That's what I like about the guy. He doesn't just "make" a game, he injects his heart and soul into his projects and give them infinite replay value. KI is shaping more to be like Brawl content wise. I mean AR cards weren't really necessary but it's a cool bonus and should make for some interesting 3D pictures.

Either way can't wait to play this. Metroid Prime Hunters was fine for me(it was the online play and lack of a real single player that killed it for me), but I'm totally cool with crabclaw+stylus gameplay.

Besides myself, that is.

I've gotten to the point that I really don't need any more info on KI:U to know that I want it and will get it day 1. All these new screen shots/info is just more icing on the cake.

zroid

Banned
First thought that came to mind was Home-run contest.
If it's anything like that, then many hours will be wasted.

Yeah that's exactly what I thought. Seems as though it might also actually have some bearing on the rest of the game too somehow, which is nice.

I've gotten to the point that I really don't need any more info on KI:U to know that I want it and will get it day 1. All these new screen shots/info is just more icing on the cake.

Same here. Pre-ordered last week, the day after Nintendo Direct. It completely won me over. And I'm not even usually a big online multiplayer guy, but when I saw that everything just seemed to click.

HylianTom

Banned
Then it'll become
"Oh great, another Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Star Fox, Metroid, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Wii ____, Fire Emblem, F-Zero, or Kid Icarus game. Can't Nintendo come up with something new for once?"

There's no pleasing the folks who would say that anyway. Nintendo could offer them a near-identical-to-Microsoft's/Sony's product, and they'd still find some reason to sneer. It's hard to take that crowd seriously, for me at least. *shrug*

I hope we get a demo.

I have a feeling that a demo will come out post-release.

Definitely expect more Kid Icarus characters in Smash Bros. on 3DS and WiiU.

Magna and Medusa will almost certainly be being planned, may depend on how well the game does if they include both.

Then it'll become

People seem to either want new franchises from Nintendo, or they want their old franchises to 'return to the glory days of 2D' or change completely (Zelda is afflicted with both).

OmegaZero

Well, SSB3D won't be displaying a large environment.

Meh, wasn't really thinking when I thought that (somehow).
Of course, this game has larger areas, more enemies, and six player online to handle, so SSB3D should look much better. Well, noticeably better at least.

Anyway, I'm pretty confident that this won't disappoint. Pre-ordered and waiting!

Top Bottom