• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus: Uprising website updates and Palutena Tweets

zroid

Banned
There's no pleasing the folks who would say that anyway. Nintendo could offer them a near-identical-to-Microsoft's/Sony's product, and they'd still find some reason to sneer. It's hard to take that crowd seriously, for me at least. *shrug*

For some people, it's hard to grasp the difference between new entries in a franchise and sequelitis. Most of Nintendo's key franchises differ from game-to-game as much as any other two games within the same genre. And then you have some examples that even span multiple genres.

@MUWANdo

Banned
uh what. what is happening here?

Am4RXsdCEAAm5CE.jpg

some sort of dashing mini-game?

the relevant tweet: https://twitter.com/#!/3DS_Palutena/status/175096534273232896

If I had to hazard a guess I'd say this is a challenge to run as far as you can in one direction within a certain time limit, all the while being bombarded with enemies, with the challenge coming from picking the best weapon for the job.

KevinCow

Banned
This brings back memories of the Dojo, when the Japanese site would update first and we'd all scramble to figure out what the hell was going on in the screenshots.

Tom_Cody

This brings back memories of the Dojo, when the Japanese site would update first and we'd all scramble to figure out what the hell was going on in the screenshots.
Yeah, exactly. In a few hours all the translations will be up on the UK twitter feed.

It is interesting to the difference between the smash dojo pacing, one update per day for a few months prior to release, and this one, multiple updates per day a few weeks prior to release. Right now this game seems to enjoy virtually no recognition outside hardcore Nintendo fans. I expect this thread to grow quite popular on the basis of Japan Time 2.0. Let's see what happens.

I think I saw on the Japanese website that there's an "eggplant" power too.
I bet you can use that to turn other people into an eggplant in multiplayer.

sfried

From what I get from the last vid: So wait, now we get a full-blown weapon economy system? Use StreetPass to upgrade your useless weapons, then grind the results for more hearts to buy better stuff.

Updates are coming pretty quick. When can we expect those animated shorts though?

Effect

I think I'm gonna be pissed if NoA drops the ball with this game and it does poorly as a result. This game keeps getting better and better. Has NoA done anything to push this game yet? They have 3 weeks left until the release.

I think I'm gonna be pissed if NoA drops the ball with this game and it does poorly as a result. This game keeps getting better and better. Has NoA done anything to push this game yet? They have 3 weeks left until the release.

They have a website. ¯\(0 0)/¯ You guys better buy it or else they might not localize Super Smash Bros 3DS/Wii U.

sfried

They have a website. ¯\(0 0)/¯ You guys better buy it or else they might not localize Super Smash Bros 3DS/Wii U.

They need big ad campaigns now. I agree with Effect they need to hype this up (or at least make people well aware of it) this month with commercials and stuff before the game releases, and not just after.

Effect

Even if they want to hold off on TV ads there is still Youtube. I'm seeing a LOT Mass Effect 3 ads when I view videos. They could at least make it one of the first things you see when you access Nintendo.com. They could be sending out SpotPass reminders regarding the game. Directing people to the videos on the eShop. I'm actually surprised those videos are viewable there as well. They should be giving interviews and holding play sessions on IGN and GameSpot.

True there is the official website which is pretty good. However that means nothing in the end if more people don't know about the game because it's not advertised.

I haven't been to stores lately but is there at least any advertising going on in GameStops? Any card board stands or posters being sent to them to be put on display?

zroid

Banned
Maybe they can show the anime shorts on Nickolodeon/Cartoon Network/Disney XD or something?

Holy shit I totally forgot about those. When is that happening? If I remember right, the shorts are actually being produced by some pretty quality studios. o_O

sfried

Holy shit I totally forgot about those. When is that happening? If I remember right, the shorts are actually being produced by some pretty quality studios. o_O
Production I.G. (GiTS people), Studio 4C (Tweeny Witches people), and SHAFT (Madoka people). They said shortly before the release of the game, or was it shortly after? Around the same timeframe is what I gathered from their Nintendo Direct announcement.
Maybe they can show the anime shorts on Nickolodeon/Cartoon Network/Disney XD or something?
Supposedly the shorts would be released via Nintendo Video. A full retail copy of them would be surprising.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I like that Dark Pit is totally based on Pit's black SSBB skin. Even got the same purple thing on his shoulder.

Neiteio

Is this a Dojo-type situation where the same updates are being translated into English shortly after being posted on the Japanese site? I hope so, because I'd love to know what's going on in some of these screens. In particular, what is the muscle man cranking the machine about, and what's special about the cake-like enemy in one of new screenshots (I'm guessing rare, small and fast, with a ton of loot)?

I am so incredibly stoked for this game. It's the first game in a long while to make me feel starved for information. They're giving us so many glimpses, yet I want to know everything... especially how many chapters and awesome boss battles we can expect. Though, I will exercise some restraint and try to avoid fundamental story spoilers.

On another note, I love how they updated Twinbellows (the flaming two-headed hound) and Hewdraw (the purple three-headed dragon). Hewdraw looks especially cool, the three heads arguing amongst themselves, one spewing fire, another lightning and the third a laser, and all three doing lunging strikes. He appears in the third chapter, "Heads of Hewdraw," and apparently, Pit remarks, "He's the most polite monster I've ever met," because he's rather genteel despite being a general in Medusa's army. You fight his flying three-headed form in the skies, and then take to the ground to hunt down and fight his individual severed heads as they rampage across the city near a lake. It sounds amazing -- one of the more fully featured boss battles in recent Nintendo games -- and his design looks top-notch as well:

Quoted to scale!

zroid

Banned
I can't believe how much entirely new content I keep seeing from this game on a daily basis. KI:U without a doubt seems like it will one of the most robust experiences available on the 3DS to date. At this point, I can easily see myself putting more hours into it than even OoT 3D.

Tom_Cody

Is this a Dojo-type situation where the same updates are being translated into English shortly after being posted on the Japanese site? I hope so, because I'd love to know what's going on in some of these screens. In particular, what is the muscle man cranking the machine about, and what's special about the cake-like enemy in one of new screenshots (I'm guessing rare, small and fast, with a ton of loot)?
Yes. The updates first appear here:

https://twitter.com/#!/3DS_Palutena/media/grid

And then a few hours later they appear with translated text here:

https://twitter.com/#!/KidIcarusUK/media/grid

The updates don't match exactly for some reason.

This is fun, but it isn't quite Japan Time 2.0. At this point most of the updates aren't exactly mind-blowing. Still though, I'm totally addicted to checking this feed. It is not helpful that the updates are staggered over the course of my work day. :/

Neiteio

I can't believe how much entirely new content I keep seeing from this game on a daily basis. KI:U without a doubt seems like it will one of the most robust experiences available on the 3DS to date. At this point, I can easily see myself putting more hours into it than even OoT 3D.
Erm, have you played RE: Revelations? It has like four times the volume of OoT 3D in terms of polish and content.

This game looks absolutely jam packed with features. Damn shame this will bomb with next to no coverage by media. Hope it does better in the west

How I would LOVE to be proven wrong

zroid

Banned
Erm, have you played RE: Revelations? It has like four times the volume of OoT 3D in terms of polish and content.

No, I haven't, but I don't see how that's relevant to my point. There's no need to start an argument about the merits of Revelations versus OoT, I'm just trying to say KI:U looks like a very robust game is all.

Neiteio

No, I haven't, but I don't see how that's relevant to my point. There's no need to start an argument about the merits of Revelations versus OoT, I'm just trying to say KI:U looks like a very robust game is all.
I'm not starting an argument. :) I'm just saying RER is the gold standard and if you like content-packed games you owe it to yourself to try it. It's simply incredible what they packed into that game.

Anyway, the loot and leveling aspect in KIU (in the sense of finding/crafting stronger weapons) looks like it will provide replayability similar to RER's Raid Mode. It looks like you can combine weapons to create new ones, and each combination has its own in-game sprite and 3D model. What do you guys reckon is the extent of this? If you have nine classes of weapons and at least four base weapons per class (I know that's the case with blades), then that's 36 weapons, and 36x36 is nearly 1,300 weapons, so...

I'm guessing there must be limits to what weapons can be combined, because otherwise the sheer amount of weapons they'd have to draw/model is STAGGERING.

zroid

Banned
RER is the gold standard and if you like content-packed games you owe it to yourself to try it. It's simply incredible what they packed into that game.

Yeah, I will, at some point. I'm not traditionally a big fan of Resident Evil, though I have a lot of respect for it, enough to own three entries in the franchise.

Tom_Cody

Anyway, the loot and leveling aspect in KIU (in the sense of finding/crafting stronger weapons) looks like it will provide replayability similar to RER's Raid Mode. It looks like you can combine weapons to create new ones, and each combination has its own in-game sprite and 3D model. What do you guys reckon is the extent of this? If you have nine classes of weapons and at least four base weapons per class (I know that's the case with blades), then that's 36 weapons, and 36x36 is nearly 1,300 weapons, so...

I'm guessing there must be limits to what weapons can be combined, because otherwise the sheer amount of weapons they'd have to draw/model is STAGGERING.
From what I have read, I think you are off on two points.

1) I do not think there are that many sprites and 3D models. It looks like there are dozens/hundreds but not as many as you are expecting. Most of the variations in weapons comes with attribute modifiers and special abilities, not unique models:

CaEED.jpg

(look at all the pluses and minuses)

In this way it seems that the weapon variation is similar to Phantasy Star Online. It still seems like there are a lot of models, but I would imagine that they are still going to get reused with altered combinations of attributes.

2) It is my understand that the results of weapon fusions are not unique. I am still trying to understand this but, from what I have been able to gather, it will work almost like bartering. It seems that there are only a limited number of weapons that are available to you at given time depending on what you have unlocked in single-player/multiplayer/street-pass and these available weapons can either be obtained with hearts or through weapon fusion. That said, I am just speculating.

Green Yoshi

The Austrian gaming magazine "Consol.AT" has reviewed the game, they give 87% and praise the scope of the game. Only the missions on the ground are a small bummer.

Tom_Cody

I just re-read the Iwata Asks about weapon fusion and I think I'm wrong. The outcome of a given combination of weapons is probably fixed, but there are so many combinations of weapon attributes that the combination of two specific exact weapons won't occur frequently.

Neiteio

The Austrian gaming magazine "Consol.AT" has reviewed the game, they give 87% and praise the scope of the game. Only the missions on the ground are a small bummer.
The ground missions look great. Alan Wake-style evasion + punchy Smash Bros.-style charge attacks and S&P context-sensitive strikes. Hopefully we'll get a demo beforehand, though. :)

jonno394

I'm assuming i'm not the only one to have gone from zero-hype to ultra-hyped for this title over the past couple of weeks?

Top Bottom