• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

Niiice! Hopefully see some gameplay soon for it! I miss the white hair on her. Wonder what the accessories will be.

Edit: Somehow I missed the link. Lol.

Edit 2: They did something to her voice.

kDQJfAM.jpg
screenshot.jpg

To be fair, maybe the tease was an alternate color from the start.

But it's still better.

Not sure if intentional or a slip up but it seems the introductory paragraph to this interview with Mike reveals Season 2 will release later this year:

http://news.xbox.com/2014/04/games-killer-instinct-mlg

Wasn't sure if we had any other confirmations that we'd see Season 2 this year, I know there was some worry whether it would hit that soon with the changing of developers seemingly coming in late this year.

I had always assumed it was coming out this year given they'll be at both E3+Evo, but it's always nice for more confirmation.

.la1n

Safe to say we will see Sadira's classic released this week? We are still missing classic Spinal's fourth set of accessories though.

brettreyu

Curious to those still playing this game. Did they ever fix the bugged out achievements?

I don't think so. I got 60 general fight titles and no achievement unlocked for it. My ranked wins aren't counting for Saberwulf and Thunder so I'll likely never get those achievements anytime soon.

DrDogg

Spinal has plenty of wake up options. Just not amazing ones like a DP.
Shadow Searing Skull has complete invincibility for the first 3 or so initial frames, but the i-frames wear off before the attack comes out. It's still a good wake up option against a majority of meatys, plus it makes his slide safe.
Teleports work against jump ins and cross ups, you just need to know how to adjust your motions.
Shadow Sword Swing Thingy is mid/upper body invincible for 9 frames.
Shadow Bone Rush is throw invincible.

As for the Sabre to Glac comparison, that's not really accurate at all in Sadira's case. Sadira only has low crush moves, not anything with actual i-frames. Glacius actually has puddle punch and Shadow Hail which give him great options against close range. Sadira has a good jab and low crush. Meatys destroy her world and make her very susceptible to frame traps.

But as we all know, keeping Sadira grounded is the issue at hand. The follow up after grounding her is what I'm talking about is the easy part for a mix up.

- A projectile is not a good wake-up option, especially given that it's not invincible when it becomes active. It's way too easy to go through it on reaction.
- Teleports do not work as most characters have at least one OS to punish it.
- Shadow Sword and Bonecrusher you're guessing that the opponent will go for a specific attack, which is a huge gamble.

In terms of the Sabre/Glacius comparison, I wasn't making a direct comparison that Sadira has invincibility like Glacius. The comparison was that people think Sabrewulf has it easy once he gets in, when in reality it's harder for Sabre up close against Glacius than it is against any other character in the game.

Kriaser

- A projectile is not a good wake-up option, especially given that it's not invincible when it becomes active. It's way too easy to go through it on reaction.
- Teleports do not work as most characters have at least one OS to punish it.
- Shadow Sword and Bonecrusher you're guessing that the opponent will go for a specific attack, which is a huge gamble.

You're only discrediting his options because you're thinking you know how Spinal will react on wake up 100% of the time. He has options, but it doesn't mean you will 100% always beat out his options. This is a game of chess. It is not straight forward at all.

If you cannot react to your opponent and are just throwing out special/shadow moves on wake up because you can, you're (not you specifically) the kind of opponent that Spinal destroys with fireball set ups, meatys, and frame traps. At the same time, if Spinal is just doing things on wake up without actually being aware of his options, he's also a bad Spinal.

Yes, Shadow Searing Skull will lose to a lot of things on wake up, but it destroys meatys. Meatys are typically medium or heavy attacks. Easier to react to.

Teleports, as I said before, work well against jump ins. Even if you have an OS, your OS does not auto correct for where Spinal where end up. You are guessing on your OS. Teleports are also all Shadow cancellable. If I do a Light teleport to gain distance, I can shoot out a Shadow Searing to make sure you don't advance. Of course, you can just say you will Shadow Wind Kick through it. That's my fault for not paying attention to meter then. But it is still an option when opponents don't have meter or a way around fireballs.

The Flash

Banned
So stream tonight, but probably no new info? Seems like they're already knee deep into season 2 (yay)

Bring Doom.

Glad they're already working on S2. I've been thinking about how the other KI1 characters could look in S2 and I'm stumped. Riptor was basically a Spielberg velociraptor, Cinder was the Human Torch, and TJ was Mike Tyson minus the tattoo. TJ had an eye patch in KI2 and still has his cybernetic arms. Maybe in S2 his arms will be a little ripped up to wear you can see some of the circuitry. Will Cinder look like a guy wearing super tight neon orange skin suit or walking, talking flame with arms and legs? Will Riptor be more like a dinosaur, komodo dragon, or crocodile? Maybe she'll have frills like the dilophosaurus from Jurassic Park?

.la1n

Bring in Max, he always makes for a great stream! I expect we won't get a ton of information on the streams going forward until after E3. Hopefully after that we will get to see new progress on Season 2 the way they did with Season 1. Those were always a lot of fun to look forward to and watch.

DrDogg

You're only discrediting his options because you're thinking you know how Spinal will react on wake up 100% of the time. He has options, but it doesn't mean you will 100% always beat out his options. This is a game of chess. It is not straight forward at all.

If you cannot react to your opponent and are just throwing out special/shadow moves on wake up because you can, you're (not you specifically) the kind of opponent that Spinal destroys with fireball set ups, meatys, and frame traps. At the same time, if Spinal is just doing things on wake up without actually being aware of his options, he's also a bad Spinal.

Yes, Shadow Searing Skull will lose to a lot of things on wake up, but it destroys meatys. Meatys are typically medium or heavy attacks. Easier to react to.

Teleports, as I said before, work well against jump ins. Even if you have an OS, your OS does not auto correct for where Spinal where end up. You are guessing on your OS. Teleports are also all Shadow cancellable. If I do a Light teleport to gain distance, I can shoot out a Shadow Searing to make sure you don't advance. Of course, you can just say you will Shadow Wind Kick through it. That's my fault for not paying attention to meter then. But it is still an option when opponents don't have meter or a way around fireballs.

And the same thing could be said about Sadira's wake-up options...

This conversation is really only about playing at the highest level. In that regard, there's no reason to meaty Spinal on wake-up because a throw beats almost all of his options. You either throw, or you bait out whatever you think Spinal will do to avoid a throw.

Bring Doom.

Glad they're already working on S2. I've been thinking about how the other KI1 characters could look in S2 and I'm stumped. Riptor was basically a Spielberg velociraptor, Cinder was the Human Torch, and TJ was Mike Tyson minus the tattoo. TJ had an eye patch in KI2 and still has his cybernetic arms. Maybe in S2 his arms will be a little ripped up to wear you can see some of the circuitry. Will Cinder look like a guy wearing super tight neon orange skin suit or walking, talking flame with arms and legs? Will Riptor be more like a dinosaur, komodo dragon, or crocodile? Maybe she'll have frills like the dilophosaurus from Jurassic Park?

I almost don't care what Combo looks like (no lipstick please), but if Combo is not a frame-trap heavy, in-fighter... I will be very disappointed. He also better have back > forward and down > up notations instead of QCF and DP. If this isn't the case, I may just stop playing. I still don't have a main and Combo is pretty much my last hope. No reason Jago and Fulgore should have more frame traps than Combo.

Synth

I almost don't care what Combo looks like (no lipstick please), but if Combo is not a frame-trap heavy, in-fighter... I will be very disappointed. He also better have back > forward and down > up notations instead of QCF and DP. If this isn't the case, I may just stop playing. I still don't have a main and Combo is pretty much my last hope. No reason Jago and Fulgore should have more frame traps than Combo.

I want them to give him a Karakusa-style headbutt.

LTWheels

I hope that Iron Galaxy will do some of their own streams at some point. Those guys are quite funny. I would enjoy watching a KI/Dive Kick back to back stream.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Amen. Combo is the one character I've been waiting for since KI3 was announced. Keep him a back>forward character, keep him a BOXER, and no MMA bullshit pls.

I'm not fussed about who comes back for season 2. I'm more looking forward to some new characters.

Meanwhile, checkout this amazing song for Fulgore.

LINKY
Love it XD

That's pretty cool. Glad the stream is still on then.

Also, Shogun Spinal anyone? (Uploading the video at the moment)
VLHW4v5.png

Also also, fuck the rage quitters. So many online. Denying me my win. >: (

Edit: Shogun Spinal
(Ignore the crappy gameplay, was actually talking the opponent).

.la1n

Shogun is pretty awesome, I'm impressed! Are they releasing that and Sadira's classic this week or are we just getting the Shogun stuff?

What do you guys think we'll see for the trailer at E3?

Obviously we'd get some new characters shown for the start of Season 2. TJ Combo, and Riptor are for sure, in my opinion. I think Kim Wu would be shown for another female rep that they have spoken up on.

I expect Cinder to be shown later down the road. They'd have to get him to just right with the lighting and what-not. He'll surely surprise us.

Hopefully more features added in, even more characters for the dojo.

The Flash

Banned
What do you guys think we'll see for the trailer at E3?

Obviously we'd get some new characters shown for the start of Season 2. TJ Combo, and Riptor are for sure, in my opinion. I think Kim Wu would be shown for another female rep that they have spoken up on.

I expect Cinder to be shown later down the road. They'd have to get him to just right with the lighting and what-not. He'll surely surprise us.

Hopefully more features added in, even more characters for the dojo.

I hope they show a trailer for S2 during the main conference. Fade out the lights, a female singer slowly sings the chorus of K.I. Feeling, screen comes on with short jump cuts of various characters from S1, fade out the lights again, KI Announcer yells "Coming to your home in 2014, only on Xbox One!", "Riptor!" - show clip of Riptor, "Cinder!" - show clip of Cinder, "TJ Combo!" - show clip of TJ doing an Ultra. Announcer yells the long Ultraaaaaa!, "Killer Instinct, Season 2!". Phil struts his way back on stage and then Max does this again.

vjdxaQG.gif

Basically a repeat of last year. Dojo mode for all characters would make me very happy.

Killer

Banned
I just tried Arcade . Holy shit did they make AI extremely difficult? even on Normal.

The mode is weak though. they were not even trying to make stories.

Shogun is pretty awesome, I'm impressed! Are they releasing that and Sadira's classic this week or are we just getting the Shogun stuff?

No idea. Same with Fulgore. I assume it'll be out soon. Both Sadira and Fulgores costume are hidden in the game and confirmed.

I hope they show a trailer for S2 during the main conference. Fade out the lights, a female singer slowly sings the chorus of K.I. Feeling, screen comes on with short jump cuts of various characters from S1, fade out the lights again, KI Announcer yells "Coming to your home in 2014, only on Xbox One!", "Riptor!" - show clip of Riptor, "Cinder!" - show clip of Cinder, "TJ Combo!" - show clip of TJ doing an Ultra. Announcer yells the long Ultraaaaaa!, "Killer Instinct, Season 2!". Phil struts his way back on stage and then Max does this again.

vjdxaQG.gif

Basically a repeat of last year. Dojo mode for all characters would make me very happy.

If that all comes true and plays out exactly as you said, it's confirmed that you work for Double Helix. OMG BUKTOOTH IS THAT YOU!?

I thought you still get the win? Or they just take a loss I guess?

Your rank stays the same :(
I need to montage those rage quits >: (

bumpkin

I'm still waiting for a confirmation email of my Pin Ultimate Reg. Is there anyone I can contact to inquire about it's status?

Yup, same issue here. Was actually coming here to ask the same question lol

it's in the store now :D

I'm still waiting for a confirmation email of my Pin Ultimate Reg. Is there anyone I can contact to inquire about it's status?

honest hippo used to be in charged and was great, but I believe he got a new position so someone else is/has taken over.

You might have luck posting in the official Xbox forums in the KI forum, but I'm not sure :/

The Flash

Banned
I got my first Ultra on an online opponent! I've graduated from Noob of Noobs to Noob, First Class!

White_ninja_dance.gif

I knew spending all that time fighting against the CPU would pay off eventually. Got it with Shogun Spinal too.

hmm so I was watching one of max's old videos, and characters used to look at the opponent (if opponent was jumping, the character would move their head up and look at them)

wonder why they got rid of it.

(example here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA2tXVjlQzs)

I got my first Ultra on an online opponent! I've graduated from Noob of Noobs to Noob, First Class!

I knew spending all that time fighting against the CPU would pay off eventually. Got it with Shogun Spinal too.

congrats! first ultra against someone online is sooo satisfying.

Coda

White_ninja_dance.gif

It's so satisfying pulling them off, also doing extra shadow moves at the end.

The Flash

Banned
congrats! first ultra against someone online is sooo satisfying.

It's so satisfying pulling them off, also doing extra shadow moves at the end.

It was. I yelled Xbox Record That and the other guy said, "Well someone's freakin' proud of themselves". It was definitely my own personal Guile's Theme Goes with Everything moment.

I found some really cool KI sprites on DeviantArt the other day. I call dibs on Spinal.

uLR4eUs.png
LOpzRlz.png
hQ70YCT.png
fH2TuE7.png
YtUebkl.png
bQ0xVdm.png
A772CY5.png
mrYb5Jl.png

It was. I yelled Xbox Record That and the other guy said, "Well someone's freakin' proud of themselves". It was definitely my own personal Guile's Theme Goes with Everything moment.

I found some really cool KI sprites on DeviantArt the other day. I call dibs on Spinal.

uLR4eUs.png
LOpzRlz.png
hQ70YCT.png
fH2TuE7.png
YtUebkl.png
bQ0xVdm.png
A772CY5.png
mrYb5Jl.png

dam these are cool.

Top Bottom