• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

Ont

I think IG has done an amazing job with the game so far, new characters seem to kick ass.

Loving the new Maya stage and music in it. I could not really hear the music on TJ Combo stage, but it is good to get some variety to the game that previously mainly had dark stages with a heavy brooding music.

The new UI looks much better as well.

.la1n

The reason for character select separation does make sense for the average consumer so I think that's a sound decision. Characters still load too slow but that might just be unavoidable because of the size of the models and what needs to be loaded. Maya looks tricky to learn and a lot of fun. Her Ultra still bugs me a little but I don't really perform full ultras anyway so not that big of a deal. I assume her taunt is the same length as the other cast but for some reason it seemed long to me.

.la1n

Unfortunately on the archived video it completely omits the part where they played TJ's stage so still have no idea what his theme sounds like :(

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
From the UC forums, a fanmade alteration of the char select screen, not bad...

selectscreen1_zps62dad111.jpg

And FWIW the community manager said IG really liked the added clouds/lightning.

.la1n

I actually like the character select screen that's currently in Season 2, it's simple but gets the job done. I do like the added clouds/lightning effect though.

That looks good, I just really don't like the fonts. They look super amateur...I don't like the season 1 fonts either so maybe I'm just picky lol.

mdsfx

Mad Catz just gave away 4 KI Ultra Fan Books on Twitter and I snagged one :) anyone ever have a closer look at these? In hoping for some nice artwork at least...

Just watched the archive of the stream and holy hell Maya looks insane. I'm really impressed with that IG did with her. She just seems so unique compared to everyone else. Man I really can't wait to try her out.

derFeef

I know it's still early but surely Maya must be missing animation frames. Watching her move and act is just awkward. Am I the only one here? I'm not crazy >: (

Yeah, looks janky all around, especially dashing, jumping and walking.
Like I said, the forward jump is sooooo weird looking. It covers o much ground but all she does is lift the knees.

Durock

I'm really liking her based on what we've seen so far. Having just completed KI2 as her a couple of days ago, it's nice seeing how faithful they were with her in regards to her moves. One noticeable thing though: she was a back-forward character in KI2. I wonder why they opted for a quarter-circle character with her in the new KI.

derFeef

Maybe because TJ Combo was already a back - forward character, more diversity.

we then have 2 BF characters out of 10, not really diverse... Bums me a bit we don't get more, especially when they even transfer characters to QC from the old KI's.

.la1n

we then have 2 BF characters out of 10, not really diverse... Bums me a bit we don't get more, especially when they even transfer characters to QC from the old KI's.

For her moveset with the daggers involved now it may have made more sense mechanically to use QC motions. maybe the new character will use BF.

Ont

I meant more diversity in the Season 2 lineup, and amongst the first two new characters. I'm sure at least one of the remaining six characters will be BF. Maybe Cinder.

m23

Seems like Mick Gordon gave up on the OST and just started uploading the songs on YouTube. Microsoft what the hell are you doing? :(

mdsfx

Do the inputs themselves matter to you? I'm more concerned with diverse play style. I couldn't care less about how I input their moves...

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I enjoy the fact that Maya has momentum carry-through from her dash; Very KoF-ish, which always makes me happy.

Easy to imagine Keits feels like a kid in a self-built Candystore when getting to show these things off; seeing all the proposed systems work together is probably even more fun for him, than it is for us.

I'm pretty surprised she has a "linker unique" move hidden within her DP during combos. Talk about a way to get the most out of a limited motionset. Make the same motion 2 different moves! The S1 characters continue to look more and more limited in presentation as little things like this make it into the movesets.

=====

There was a time when I LOVED KI2. That was so many years ago now... and I've learned a lot more about fighters in general since then. It still feels pretty odd in comparison, and I have almost no muscle memory for ANY of it now, but I'm finding myself to enjoy getting into KI2 much more than going back to 1, which is fun for the presentation, but kind of "EH" for everything else, for me.

Feels great to finally have a real version of it available to play now. I got to play the Arcade unit again earlier this year at a local Anime Con, but the already weird motions felt very annoying on the old joysticks on the machine...

.la1n

Textual stream for this week is up:

Early access!

We hope everyone is having fun with the new changes and TJ. There's a few balance tweaks coming with the launch of S2 (e.g. Sadira has less KV on air attacks) and we will continue to play, watch, and listen to feedback, so please continue to (constructively) contribute to KI's development here on the forums!
Matchmaking & “the spinal patch”

Many players have commented that after the release of Spinal during S1, matchmaking became more difficult. Before the Spinal update, we were much more tolerant of >50ms pings in matchmaking, supporting pings of up to 200ms. That changed after the Spinal patch, getting a lot more restrictive on pings beyond 50ms.

We’re addressing this. Right around the launch of Season 2, matching search criteria will look at a larger range of pings (up to 150ms) and be less exclusive as it generationally searches for good matches between players. This should result in an easier time finding a match anywhere in the world . Of course, we’ll continue to adjust until we get it right so that everyone worldwide can play anyone else and have a good game.
S2 Progression systems
First things first – SPEND YOUR KP NOW!

We are moving away from a point bank & spend system (KP) and instead embracing an earned XP system based on you just playing the game in any non-practice mode. The new system unlocks items based on player or character level, so you’ll automatically earn your colors and accessories just by playing. The level system will continue to grow over the season, so there’s lots of stuff to chase for each character, including 9 colors (yep, 9! For both S1 and S2 characters!) and other prestige items.

For items that you already own from S1, you will automatically have them unlocked rather than having to hit the character level to access them. This is why you should spend your KP before S2 starts.
“KI Gold”

While all non-premium accessories are available by leveling (i.e. for free), we’re also going to be offering a way to shortcut the level requirements of some accessories and colors through an in-game currency called, appropriately, KI Gold. So if you really want color 6, but don't want to wait to level up to get it, you can buy it right away. For those that don’t buy the S2 ultra edition, KI gold is the new way you’ll also buy the premium accessories if you choose to do so.

And since we believe that there should be badges of honor that you absolutely must earn, things such as color 9 are ONLY available through leveling.
KI soundtracks

The delay in launching the soundtracks was over the offers – we have two albums and a double set, and we didn’t want anyone to buy one individually and then realize there was a double album with a discounted price. We decided to remove the singular albums for now and feature one two-disc 25 track version that features remastered versions of all the Killer Cuts tracks (they sound amazing!), plus all the KI Season 1 music in one package (also amazing!).

THE DIGITAL 2-ALBUM SET WILL BE AVAILABLE ON TUESDAY OCTOBER 14th. We’ll have more information on the outlets soon.
The Season 2 launch trailer

Shortly before Season 2 starts on October 15th, we will release a launch trailer. The trailer features TJ’s track (it’s… really, really good) and gives you a very clear picture of which of the remaining original characters are returning this season, plus drive speculation on the new ones as well!

Is Bayliss fixing/updating/changing/etc. any S1 costumes?
No. Kev is busy with the S2 alternate costumes. I wouldn’t call them retro exactly, but they certainly reflect Kev’s signature style.
Teases:

I never said that character #3 is 3500 years old…
You will see the results of “the 10%” at launch…

Silky

Banned
'10%'

Is he referring to a resolution boost?????

lol theyre actually adding micro transactions to KI

The third character might be young guy then. Or a girl.

--
In regards to KI's popularity, that's because it's the easiest fighting game for anyone to stream due to Twitch being on X1

.la1n

'10%'

Is he referring to a resolution boost?????

lol theyre actually adding micro transactions to KI

The third character might be young guy then. Or a girl.

That was my assumption. Also, having a clear picture of what original characters are returning after we see the launch trailer? Nice.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Is Bayliss fixing/updating/changing/etc. any S1 costumes?
No.
;_;
Kev is busy with the S2 alternate costumes. I wouldn’t call them retro exactly, but they certainly reflect Kev’s signature style.
I like it.
You will see the results of “the 10%” at launch…
Graphical upgrade incoming?
chansub-global-emoticon-60aa1af305e32d49-23x30.png

mdsfx

Oh man that trailer will be so awesome...

Im shamefully happy about the xp system to unlock extras.

I would really love to have dojo mode for the full cast, but that would just be a little icing on the cake.

DrDogg

So... the Mummy character isn't 3,500 years old? Does that mean we have two Egyptian-style characters, or that the 3,500 year-old character is just randomly 3,500 years old and it has nothing to do with their look or play style?

Excited and fearful of the S2 launch trailer. I imagine any classic characters we don't see, won't be showing up in S2. I can already see the salt that will flow if we don't see Riptor/Cinder. lol

As long as I see Tusk and/or Kim Wu... I'm good.

Nemesis_

Killer Instinct 2 Classic help!

I can't do Maya's Ultra. Apparently it's cB, F 6

but I have no idea how to read that notation. I've tried charging from back to forward, I've tried just inputting <-- to --> and then 6.

Neither seems to work :/

Killer Instinct 2 Classic help!

I can't do Maya's Ultra. Apparently it's cB, F 6

but I have no idea how to read that notation. I've tried charging from back to forward, I've tried just inputting <-- to --> and then 6.

Neither seems to work :/

If you snap help on the xbox it shows you the actual inputs you need to do.

Seems like i'll be getting the best version of the game once i'm able to get it. Haha. Definitely cannot wait!

I assume the mummy was a tease to the origins of the character, not the actual character. I still hope that the 3,500 year old character is a Vampire. Please. :c

I'm getting really excited about that launch trailer! Finally get to hear TJ's theme!! And hints at all the remaining characters for Season 2. :)

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I wouldn't bank on the extra 10% to be a resolution bump.

I would

I mean why else would we not see that extra 10% until that moment?

As for the character reveals, it's either going to be concept art or silhouettes for the cast... and i'm leaning towards silhouettes

Synth

THE DIGITAL 2-ALBUM SET WILL BE AVAILABLE ON TUESDAY OCTOBER 14th.

Oh for the love of god... :(

This is a bit like when you're waiting ages for a train to arrive and then once it's already 5 minutes late, the timetable updates to show that it's delayed for another 30 minutes. It's like... you mean to tell me you didn't know it wasn't happening on time all the way up to the moment it was supposed to be here?

I'm off to sulk.

m23

Oh for the love of god... :(

This is a bit like when you're waiting ages for a train to arrive and then once it's already 5 minutes late, the timetable updates to show that it's delayed for another 30 minutes. It's like... you mean to tell me you didn't know it wasn't happening on time all the way up to the moment it was supposed to be here?

I'm off to sulk.

Noooooooo.

I feel like crying.

Top Bottom